Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AGirlWonder posted:

Can ministers decline their ability (right?) to perform civil ceremonies?
Yeah, all the time. Catholics won't let people who've been divorced get married again in the Catholic Church, for instance, while the Orthodox cap you at four divorces and are very leery about letting Orthodox marry non-Orthodox. This would be similar. Religions can do whatever they please with their members' marriages, unless it's something that's illegal in the US like underage or bigamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

AGirlWonder posted:

Can ministers decline their ability (right?) to perform civil ceremonies? I have several friends who are ordained, and at least one of them has raised the possibility that he could be in legal trouble for refusing to conduct a same-sex ceremony. Their denomination will not allow SSM, and their personal interpretations of Scripture forbid it. If they are able, it'd probably be a good idea.

(Disclaimer: I am not actually concerned that one of my friends is going to go to jail. Having the option might help with their peace of mind, though.)

In the US? The Federal Government would never bring a case against a pastor for refusing to marry a same-sex couples.

Ecclesiastical courts are a different matter. Which denomination is your friend ordained in? I know PCUSA protects the right of the ordained to refuse to marry people for any reason. Not particularly sure about other denominations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

In the US? The Federal Government would never bring a case against a pastor for refusing to marry a same-sex couples.

Ecclesiastical courts are a different matter. Which denomination is your friend ordained in? I know PCUSA protects the right of the ordained to refuse to marry people for any reason. Not particularly sure about other denominations.

There's no constitutional right to be married in a church. Churches can and do refuse to perform the ceremony for many and varied reasons. A justice of the peace at the courthouse will handle the civil end of it if necessary.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
In the US, this the case. In Canada, as I mentioned before, any priest or pastor could be pursued in a human rights tribunal for refusing to marry a same-sex couple, so long as their tradition permitted it at all as it nullifies any religious defence so far as the tribunal is concerned.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Back when SSM wasn't legal nationwide, there were a few progressive pastors and churches that refused to do civil marriage paperwork in solidarity with same sex couples. The idea was that the nature of civil marriage at that time was discriminatory in their understanding of their faith, and filling out the paperwork would be a kind of consent to this discrimination. I think some denomination actually sued the government over this, but I don't remember the specifics.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 7, 2015

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Back when SSM wasn't legal nationwide, there were a few progressive pastors and churches that refused to do civil marriage paperwork in solidarity with same sex couples. The idea was that the nature of civil marriage at that time was discriminatory in their understanding of their faith, and filling out the paperwork would be a kind of consent to this discrimination. I think some denomination actually sued the government over this, but I don't remember the specifics.

Are you thinking of UCC vs North Carolina? NC's legislature hosed up really badly and passed a law threatening clergy with jail time if they solemnized marriage of same-sex couples. UCC brought a lawsuit against the state government and won under freedom of religion laws. And that's how North Carolina became the 28th state to legalize same-sex marriage!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The Phlegmatist posted:

Are you thinking of UCC vs North Carolina? NC's legislature hosed up really badly and passed a law threatening clergy with jail time if they solemnized marriage of same-sex couples. UCC brought a lawsuit against the state government and won under freedom of religion laws. And that's how North Carolina became the 28th state to legalize same-sex marriage!

talk about getting owned

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

They are all ordained by the Assemblies of God, and all of them would lose their jobs if they performed a same-sex wedding. That being said, your posts have been comforting, and I will pass the info along!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, all the time. Catholics won't let people who've been divorced get married again in the Catholic Church, for instance, while the Orthodox cap you at four divorces and are very leery about letting Orthodox marry non-Orthodox. This would be similar. Religions can do whatever they please with their members' marriages, unless it's something that's illegal in the US like underage or bigamy.

In my experience, non-Orthodox are more leery of marrying Orthodox. I've seen couples break up after he or she see the divine liturgy

hosed up when an Episcopalian calls an Orthodox an idolator

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

In my experience, non-Orthodox are more leery of marrying Orthodox. I've seen couples break up after he or she see the divine liturgy

hosed up when an Episcopalian calls an Orthodox an idolator
my ex discovered his mom was a bigot when i converted--out of nowhere she said "well at least she isn't Catholic any more" and things got awkward

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HEY GAL posted:

my ex discovered his mom was a bigot when i converted--out of nowhere she said "well at least she isn't Catholic any more" and things got awkward

drat, didn't know Germans where THAT uptight on religion. I imagine everything west of Poland the Great Atheist Plain.

On other matters, apparently unbaptised adults need to go to an RCC class for nine months which happens to take part at extremely inconvenient/impossible time for my schedule. Sigh.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

drat, didn't know Germans where THAT uptight on religion. I imagine everything west of Poland the Great Atheist Plain.
My ex and his mom are american episcopalians, I'm not German I just live here sometimes

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

My ex and his mom are american episcopalians, I'm not German I just live here sometimes

My bad, I thought you stayed long enough to accrue an ex.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

So, how about that Papal decree on the annulment process?

Thoughts?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As far as I can tell, the only substantial change will be the removal of cost for the petitioner. Which is good, though many dioceses already have a system in place to cover the cost for those people to whom it would be a burden to pay. Otherwise, the process takes forever because both sides have to be given plenty of time to speak their peace - 30 days to respond that you received a request for information, etc.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Well apparently evangelicals can break their oaths and literally get out of jail so no worries!

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Yeah, I appreciate that some people's fear is genuine, but in America it's completely unwarranted. As A. E. Housman once said, "Three minutes' thought would suffice to find this out, but thought is irksome and three minutes is a long time."

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

Yeah, I appreciate that some people's fear is genuine, but in America it's completely unwarranted. As A. E. Housman once said, "Three minutes' thought would suffice to find this out, but thought is irksome and three minutes is a long time."

Stealing this quote and using it unashamedly.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Are general theological questions alright in this thread?

I've been reading about the ancient Goths a lot lately for reasons and Arianism naturally pops up a lot in those discussions. The histories I've been reading focus on the doings of the Goths themselves and not the religious history of them, so while I understand that Arianism died out (because Arians died or converted out of political necessity), I don't know what the theological reasons for Arianism's death are, or why Nontrinitarianism is so objectionable to begin with.

Basically I finally read about Arianism and nobody bothered to explain why it was theologically wrong, other than that the Romans had already established a position on the matter and Arius' wasn't it.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Ofaloaf posted:

Basically I finally read about Arianism and nobody bothered to explain why it was theologically wrong, other than that the Romans had already established a position on the matter and Arius' wasn't it.

Oversimplifying and paraphrasing St. Augustine a bit, if Jesus was not God, then there was no Redemption, and we are still in our sins.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Worthleast posted:

Oversimplifying and paraphrasing St. Augustine a bit, if Jesus was not God, then there was no Redemption, and we are still in our sins.
Does Jesus need to be of the same substance as God for the Redemption to be a thing? Why isn't being Son enough for Jesus to be Savior? Jesus is both God and human, but God Himself isn't human (right?), so Jesus must have qualities different from God, wouldn't He?

I was raised Lutheran, but shortly after I was confirmed in the church my parents got involved in some church council politics and ended up leaving. That was well over a decade ago and our family never regularly went to any other church afterwards, so I only vaguely recall scraps of Sunday school as filtered through the brain of a child who probably wasn't paying attention half the time, and have otherwise been wholly without guide when it comes to theology.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ofaloaf posted:

Does Jesus need to be of the same substance as God for the Redemption to be a thing?

Yes, because humans cannot save themselves. They can only be saved through God's grace.

quote:

Why isn't being Son enough for Jesus to be Savior?

A lower being would not have the power to save. Jesus has to be God for salvation to work correctly because no other being could do what he did.

quote:

Jesus is both God and human, but God Himself isn't human (right?), so Jesus must have qualities different from God, wouldn't He?

Yes, the Three are distinct and unique. However, all Three are single in Will and Substance. Therefore, while they have qualities distinct from each other, they do, believe and move as One. This does not mean that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are less than the Father or vice-versa. All are equally God.

To steal a quote from Thomas Hopko, "Thus it is said that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are each divine with the same divinity, yet each in his own divine way."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Does Jesus need to be of the same substance as God for the Redemption to be a thing? Why isn't being Son enough for Jesus to be Savior? Jesus is both God and human, but God Himself isn't human (right?), so Jesus must have qualities different from God, wouldn't He?

You could develop a system of doctrine in which Jesus does not need to be divine, but I don't think it would be compatible with what people traditionally call Christianity. On the other hand, some Unitarians, Mormons, and Oneness Pentecostals claim they are legitimate, traditional Christians (or are restoring "correct" Christianity), even though more traditional varieties of Christianity might not agree with that.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Ofaloaf posted:

Are general theological questions alright in this thread?

I've been reading about the ancient Goths a lot lately for reasons and Arianism naturally pops up a lot in those discussions. The histories I've been reading focus on the doings of the Goths themselves and not the religious history of them, so while I understand that Arianism died out (because Arians died or converted out of political necessity), I don't know what the theological reasons for Arianism's death are, or why Nontrinitarianism is so objectionable to begin with.

The problem, at lest as far as I am aware has less to do with the theology of redemption as such than it does with the unity of the New Testament; the anti-Arian literature that I am aware of talks less about salvation than it comes down to interpretation of certain passages in Scripture. You could build a more or less consistent subordinationist view out of Mark, Matthew and Luke, but John throws a wrench into the whole thing. The Arians are able to massage the declaration that "The Father and I are one" by saying that Jesus is referring to a oneness of intention, but the opening chapter is a harder bit to tackle - one more or less finds there the equation that God is the Logos, which is Christ. And if Christ is life eternal, he can't be created, because created would mean not eternal.

It comes down to a hermeneutic conflict more than anything - which passages one favors and what interpretative strategies to adopt. Arianism is a powerful position, because philosophically, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than trinitarianism; the mystery gives way to logical organization. But if, as John as it, "through him (the Word) all things were made," then the Word can't be created, unless it somehow creates itself.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
God is actually Rose Tyler.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

AGirlWonder posted:

God is actually Rose Tyler.

That's heresy that leads to getting punched by spontaneously animated mannequins.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

quote:

That's heresy that leads to getting punched by spontaneously animated mannequins

Didn't Arianism lead to Arius getting punched by Santa Claus / Saint Nick?

I used to be a Catholic, now am mostly a Buddhist, would like to be a Catholic again because I like the liturgy / infrastructure. My interpretation of Christianity is basically reskinned Pure Land Buddhism and I think the pope is not ok with that. Also I want women priests. What should I do, thread?

I know Orthodoxy / Old Catholics are much closer to what I believe, but they don't have many churches anywhere near where I live, or, in the case of Old Catholics, anywhere at all.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been reading about the ancient Goths a lot lately for reasons

Loving your reasons, by the way. Too bad Arianism didn't survive there. :(

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

I used to be a Catholic, now am mostly a Buddhist, would like to be a Catholic again because I like the liturgy / infrastructure. My interpretation of Christianity is basically reskinned Pure Land Buddhism and I think the pope is not ok with that. Also I want women priests. What should I do, thread?

I know Orthodoxy / Old Catholics are much closer to what I believe, but they don't have many churches anywhere near where I live, or, in the case of Old Catholics, anywhere at all.
high church anglicans

and if you like the liturgy, you're going to be looking at, uh, a more niche kind of catholic anyway, and that can be hard to find as well, I took the subway for an hour to get to a Mass in the meeting room of a club for retired naval personnel back when I was a trad catholic.

edit: Old Catholics are kind of a central european thing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

pidan posted:

What should I do, thread?

Do what everyone does, and start your own branch of church. Name it cybercatcholics or Rocket Children of Christ.

We're all traitors, mutantsreeanctors and heretics in this thread anyways.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

mutantsreeanctors
hey!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

JcDent posted:

We're all... heretics in this thread anyways.

I always used to tell my Catholic friends, we're all heretics, the fun is figuring out which kind you are. I have to thank Numerical Anxiety for pointing me to my second major heresy (both by mistake).

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

high church anglicans

Either they or Episcopalians might have the kind of environment you're looking for. Yay, women priests :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

pidan posted:

become a mainline Protestant :getin:

or a unitarian :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pidan posted:

Are you sure it's worth it to convert back (assuming you've officially abandoned the Church)? You can visit pretty much any church whenever you want without converting, you know. Even participate in parish's life, if you so desire.

Unrelated

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Is that Freud at the bottom? :raise:

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Who else would be carrying a cigar with a scrotum in his right hand?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Who else would be carrying a cigar with a scrotum in his right hand?

It's a retort and he represents a generic scientist, but I like "cigar with a scrotum" better.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pidan posted:

Would you mind telling us your location, as much as you're comfortable sharing? That might help the thread recommend denominations or even congregations to check out.

It sounds like you are looking for a more progressive church with traditional liturgy and ritual, and as others have suggested I think your best bet would be mainstream Protestant churches. Anglicans/Episcopalians are usually the most "high church" of the bunch and I think you'd find services very similar to Catholic ones. You may also be able to find more traditional Lutheran or Methodist services that scratch your itch, but those are going to be harder to find. Apparently high church Lutheranism is a big thing in Europe, though?

All the mainstream Protestant denominations are very similar in terms of theology, I'd suggest checking a couple out even if it wasn't an option you'd considered.

Edit: one of Marty L's big beefs with the Catholic Church was having scripture and services in the vernacular, hence the story of him hiding out in Wartburg Castle while he translated the Bible into German. Which is to say it's really unlikely you'll find much Protestant liturgy in Latin or Greek etc if you enjoy that aspect. Some Latin in the most high church services, and maybe some hymns in German at Lutheran churches.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

pidan posted:

Since nobody answered this, my former chaplain was under the impression that the Saint Nicolas that open-hand slapped Arius (actually a significant difference, as an open-hand slap was a sign of reproach rather than assault and battery, at least that's the word on the street at my alma mater) and the Saint Nicolas that was super good with kids are two different folks.

• Locked thread