Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Immortan Joe did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Thanks, Immortan. :rolleyes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I wanted one loving thing from that abortion of robot gently caress fest, one loving thing of having to sit through it while my wife got all hot and bothered by Walberg.... And that goddamn Dino didn't deliver his loving line.

That movie was hot trash and my wife fell asleep before the end so I didn't even get some action.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

What the gently caress

Why are you so shocked? What do you think's going to happen if societys carrying capacities drop rapidly?

If you have enough food for 8 people and are 12, 4 people are not just going to amicably accept their demise.

in such an environment, where people at a very local level become violent tribes, one man conquering them and subjugating them doesn't make him inherently bad.

If the same people as the wretched would have been the ones murdering each other over pieces of carcass, joe holding a grudge against them and not sharing equally with them isn't so shocking.

afeelgoodpoop fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 7, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ijyt posted:

How are people watching the blu-ray when it's not out until October?

It's been out for almost a week down here in the colonies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a pretty obvious troll

I don't see how it's a troll. The whole series is like this. Bubba Zanetti and Toecutter, Humungus attempting to console Wez after Goldenboy is killed, Master's weeping over Blaster; Miller has never shied away from adding some dimension to his characters, even the nasty fuckers. Fury Road's a lot worse without that scene of Joe throat-singing or whatever he's doing as they're just waiting around for the scout to return.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Philip Rivers posted:

Lmao is this a real opinion? The guy who keeps slaves and concubines, withholds water from everyone, and indoctrinates child soldiers is a sympathetic character?

Also he swerved to save his unborn child, not the mother. It's pretty obvious he doesn't actually give a poo poo about her when the surgeon is doing the C-section.
I don't think it's a sign that Joe is secretly a good guy, but it does make him less of a Cobra Commander-style villain who does crimes for the sake of crimes. Joe is a shithead monster who ought to die but he's not a demon from Hell. If you asked him he'd probably say everything he did was a tough decision to protect what he could.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He is the film's villain but he is also a character in his own right, and a character sketched expertly just like all the other great and memorable characters in this series.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Hitler was a painter and animal lover, so really how can you call him a bad guy?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hitler was a painter and animal lover, so really how can you call him a bad guy?

Don't think in memes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hitler was a Deviant Artist and a furry?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Blind Sally posted:

Hitler was a Deviant Artist and a furry?

I don't know whether he was a furry, but I'd characterize his art as rather traditional.
http://www.bytwerk.com/gpa/hitlerpaintings.htm

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Being reminded that Hitler was a person and not a literal hell-demon is not a bad thing.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't see how it's a troll. The whole series is like this. Bubba Zanetti and Toecutter, Humungus attempting to console Wez after Goldenboy is killed, Master's weeping over Blaster; Miller has never shied away from adding some dimension to his characters, even the nasty fuckers. Fury Road's a lot worse without that scene of Joe throat-singing or whatever he's doing as they're just waiting around for the scout to return.

Yeah, I read it poorly. But lol at Joe showing "tenderness" to his "property".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's overstated somewhat, but tenderness is not a bad word to put there. His affection is one of an incestuous father.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
John Wayne Gacy loved his kids, too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's overstated somewhat, but tenderness is not a bad word to put there. His affection is one of an incestuous father.

It's not even that deep. He views his wives and their children as property with no free will of their own, who exist only to feed his desires and provide him with a healthy heir. He didn't try to save them and protect them from harm because of a twisted love for them, but because they were the most valuable items in all of the Citadel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not even that deep. He views his wives and their children as property with no free will of their own, who exist only to feed his desires and provide him with a healthy heir.

Like an incestuous father.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MonsieurChoc posted:

And here we can see again this horrible habit to try and de-legitimize everything that doesn't fit with the pre-ordained narratives.

People can have different opinions from you without it being gimmick posts, dude. No need to be angry because someone thought up an alternate reading of movies you don't like that that makes them semi-enjoyable.

That was me being generous of spirit and giving people with embarrassing opinions the chance to say they were only kidding.

Battle Rockers posted:

Thanks, Immortan. :rolleyes:

"Man, this sandstorm is really bad. Thanks, Immortan."

"I don't think that has anything to do with-"

"THEN WHO KILLED THE WORLD?"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Guys, please give a trigger warning before insulting my dorky entertainment of choice.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I can't be the only person who saw Joe wailing as less mourning the loss of Splendid and more of a tantrum because his current favorite babymaker was destroyed because his strongest weapon (aka Furiosa) betrayed him. Joe was making a big histrionic show of it because his toys got broken and it will rile up the dependent Warboys as a side bonus. Rictus meanwhile was genuine in the loss of his perfect baby brother, at least appreciating a sibling as a concept as opposed to an object.

People however are not objects nor concepts. Those who treat people like things may be sympathetic, but to enslave, to use, to create a community with parody of free will and a mockery of freedom, there is no excuse. There was no need to steal women for breeding and keep them in a gilded cage. There was no need to twist people's thinking about water. Sympathize all you like, but consider the sort of person who would choose such a life for others instead of a quick death if survival for resources is a necessity.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Lurdiak posted:

"Man, this sandstorm is really bad. Thanks, Immortan."

"I don't think that has anything to do with-"

"THEN WHO KILLED THE WORLD?"

:golfclap:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Watching the Blu-ray, the music just before Angaharad dies is very Road Warrior-esque.

Also, the noise the engines make right before Nux declares "we're about to see 2 airborne v-8's." is totally the noise the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive made every time it failed to work in ESB.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 8, 2015

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So if Immortan only cares about having heirs, why does he educate his wives

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Unoriginal Name posted:

do you picture him staying home to raise the kids

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lurdiak posted:

That was me being generous of spirit and giving people with embarrassing opinions the chance to say they were only kidding.

:what:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Immortan Joe had some good ideas

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

VideoTapir posted:

THEN WHO KILLED THE WORLD?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Armyman25 posted:

Also, the noise the engines make right before Nux declares "we're about to see 2 airborne v-8's." is totally the noise the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive made every time it failed to work in ESB.
The hyperdrive sound is primarily the starter off an old plane. I don't know enough about engines to know whether the truck would be capable of making that noise - maybe the supercharger seizing up? Here's a raw video of a starter like this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm sure you could figure it out if you finished your sentence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Watch the Immortan start a loving war.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So what do we all think Immortan Joe did before society collapsed? Accountant? Plumber? Bus driver?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gildiss posted:

So what do we all think Immortan Joe did before society collapsed? Accountant? Plumber? Bus driver?

he was clearly something in marketing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gildiss posted:

Nursery manager.

If you're serious, he was actually an Australian Army colonel who formed a band of raiders after the apocalypse finally hit completely.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

THEN WHO KILLED THE WORLD?

Hey Joe's just dealing with the aftermath. Hate the game not the player.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Gildiss posted:

He was an aspiring art student in Melbourne, but I heard VU wouldn't accept him.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Thump! posted:

He was an aspiring art student in Melbourne, but I heard VU wouldn't accept him.

Wh-whoa :eyepop:

Immortan Joe is the epitome of a Nice Guy. If you think that makes him a good person, guess what, you're also bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Immortan Joe is literally The Patriarch.

• Locked thread