Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Shellman posted:

There will never not be dust on negatives. :(

Just ask Mr. Despair. (I think it was him who worked in a clean room...could be wrong.)

you know what I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I do 2400 dpi also. Gets me about 35-40 megapixels on a 6x9 frame.

Some say you get reduced noise and slight bump in clarity if you scan at 4800 and then downsample to 2400. I did some tests and couldn't see any difference at all.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Apologies if this has been covered previously but can anyone speak to the benefit of upgrading from the Epson holders to the BetterScanning ones? The MF Epson holder that comes with the V800 can only fit two negatives at a time and it feel like a huge time suck.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

Apologies if this has been covered previously but can anyone speak to the benefit of upgrading from the Epson holders to the BetterScanning ones? The MF Epson holder that comes with the V800 can only fit two negatives at a time and it feel like a huge time suck.

That's the same as the BetterScanning ones too though. The main difference is being able to adjust the film position and use ANR glass to flatten it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Just ordered the Better Scanning MF Holders for my v800. I guess the T-Locks are out of production but they include two 120 ANR glass inserts standard now.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Thoogsby posted:

Just ordered the Better Scanning MF Holders for my v800. I guess the T-Locks are out of production but they include two 120 ANR glass inserts standard now.

I took an exakto knife to the little tabs on the stock v800 holder. Works awesome now.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Got these yesterday and loving them. Going from being able to scan two shots at a time to six is huge and on top of that these holders actually fit the dimensions of the film and don't bend the negatives.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Would the Epson 2450 be good for babbys first scanner?

There is one on the local classifieds here for $30

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
If it has all the negative carriers, sure. There is a lot worse you can do for $30. It seems to be a couple generations behind the 4870 from 2004 which is what I use, and I get decent results from that.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've been experimenting with my new v800. One observation is that digital ice seems to be really dependent on the film, I have some older slides from the 80's it makes tons of smears on. But slides from the 90's come out perfect. Standard E-6 stuff.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Make more.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

iSheep posted:

Would the Epson 2450 be good for babbys first scanner?

There is one on the local classifieds here for $30

Yeah I have one and it's OK. I can never seem to get my scans properly sharp though, I guess the focus on mine is slightly off.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Large format macro

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bought an epson v550.

I am having one hell of a time getting images in focus. I'm pretty bad at focussing my slr but I'm not thaaat bad.

using epson scan and vuescan, I'm getting completely different results. Including where the focussing is.
On epson scan, the stock height is pretty close. On vuescan, I need 3 layers of tape.

I also have tons of little white spots in vuescan that aren't there on epson scan. No adjustments in epson scan. Neither the scanner nor the film is that dirty in those spots

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 15, 2017

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You are definitely not producing images straight out of the scanner for both of those examples. It looks like the top one has some kind of dust and scratches filter applied and the second one looks like it has unsharp mask applied.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Post a screenshot of your Epson Scan settings.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

And under configuration, color control, it Was set to Color Control, I've since turned it off. Here's the result with it off

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 15, 2017

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Epson Scan's settings are a per-photo thing so make sure the correct photo is selected when you uncheck those boxes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Just checked, yup all boxes unchecked.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I've been messing around with Silverfast 8 for a few days, trying to figure it out, I think I have a fairly good grasp of the scanning process now. I want to however check and see if you guys can offer any tips. What I've been doing is comparing my scans to the scans I got from a local lab. What I would like to know is if my scans are better/worse than theirs, any tips on color grading and setting white/black points. My process is like this, I use silver fast and I let it do the automatic process of converting the negative to positive by choosing the film I'm using in the drop down menu. It gets pretty close, then I import the image into Lightroom and adjust the RGB curve till the the white/black points look ok. Then I adjust the coloring, sharpness, etc as needed.

This particular film is Fuji Pro 400H btw.

936000067-R1-009-3 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 6 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

936000067-R1-021-9 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 7 (2) by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

936000067-R1-003-0 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 13 (2) by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

936000067-R1-031-14 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 12 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

HNasty posted:

I've been messing around with Silverfast 8 for a few days, trying to figure it out, I think I have a fairly good grasp of the scanning process now. I want to however check and see if you guys can offer any tips. What I've been doing is comparing my scans to the scans I got from a local lab. What I would like to know is if my scans are better/worse than theirs, any tips on color grading and setting white/black points. My process is like this, I use silver fast and I let it do the automatic process of converting the negative to positive by choosing the film I'm using in the drop down menu. It gets pretty close, then I import the image into Lightroom and adjust the RGB curve till the the white/black points look ok. Then I adjust the coloring, sharpness, etc as needed.

This particular film is Fuji Pro 400H btw.

936000067-R1-009-3 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 6 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

936000067-R1-021-9 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 7 (2) by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

936000067-R1-003-0 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 13 (2) by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

936000067-R1-031-14 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
Lab Scan

Image 12 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
My scan

All of yours are Good Enough. Congratulations on getting decent results despite ignoring almost all of the advice you've gotten over the past week! :bravo:

Do what works for you, though.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Those lab scans look like garbage. If you have access to a scanner why shell out for lab scans?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here I was preferring the lab scans.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

MrBlandAverage posted:

All of yours are Good Enough. Congratulations on getting decent results despite ignoring almost all of the advice you've gotten over the past week! :bravo:

Do what works for you, though.

I know I still need to set my white/black points in photoshop. I'm in the process of learning PS and figuring that stuff out. LR is what my little baby brain knows right now.

Thoogsby posted:

Those lab scans look like garbage. If you have access to a scanner why shell out for lab scans?

I wanted a baseline to compare against.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I found a Minolta Scan Dual III for super cheap, so I am pretty excited to see how it compares to my flatbed. True 2800 dpi and apparently it has an autofocus system. No more blurry scans.

Edit: If I can get scans that look this nice from 35mm I will be laughing.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 8, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

HNasty posted:

I know I still need to set my white/black points in photoshop. I'm in the process of learning PS and figuring that stuff out. LR is what my little baby brain knows right now.

Yeah, but how about the part where you shouldn't let scanning software do the inversion for you?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

HNasty posted:

MrBlandAverage is right -- if you start with a compromised image, no amount of PS or LR trickery will get you the quality of a 16-bit TIFF positive workflow. A scanner should output as much information as possible, and that means stopping it from doing any kind of positive->negative conversion.

If you're after a cheat's way to get "good enough" colours to work from, BANME.sh posted a good walkthrough here that'll probably get you better results than scanning software presets, and is entirely non-destructive.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

BANME.sh posted:

I found a Minolta Scan Dual III for super cheap, so I am pretty excited to see how it compares to my flatbed. True 2800 dpi and apparently it has an autofocus system. No more blurry scans.

Edit: If I can get scans that look this nice from 35mm I will be laughing.

I was very happy with both my scan dual IV and scan multi pro, and wish I still had either/both. You should except scans that are crisp but may exhibit a bit more noise than flatbed scans before working on them.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Any idea why my V500 would be splitting some of my 35mm frames in half when it runs preview? It's never every single one, it just seems to pick a random shot in the series then messes up the rest.

This scan of two rows of 4 was fine for 5 then missed the last 3. And it seems to do it on the same shot on every try no matter where the two strips are positioned on the holder. And swapping has the same issue only in flopped order.

Is there some setting I have off? It doesn't happen every scan, maybe one in 10.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I've noticed epson scan has a hard time finding the frame edges properly if there isn't enough contrast between the actual photo and the edges. Usually when it's underexposed

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Epson Scan fucks up finding the frames in preview 100% of the time for me. I just flip it to Normal mode, drag the box over the area I want scanned, and double click the scan button.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I was very happy with both my scan dual IV and scan multi pro, and wish I still had either/both. You should except scans that are crisp but may exhibit a bit more noise than flatbed scans before working on them.

You're right. This thing is finding more dust and scratches that I never thought possible using my flatbed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Before I go cutting my film up, how many frames of 6x6 can the Epson V550 handle in the stock holder? It looks long enough for 3, but the little instruction diagram only shows 2.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

2 (if my V500 tells true (good thing I bought a 750 (I still have the betterscanning holder I bought for the v500 (which allows for 3) if your're looking to buy it for cheap)))

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

2 (if my V500 tells true (good thing I bought a 750 (I still have the betterscanning holder I bought for the v500 (which allows for 3) if your're looking to buy it for cheap)))

I couldn't find a solid answer on Google but eventually tried it with 3 and it worked, which is nice because strips of 3 are convenient to work with.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ah good stuff.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Are you talking about this one?

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/vb_mfholder.html

Do you have the ANR glass thingy? I might be interesting in grabbing this for my V600 instead of ordering stateside.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yep, the whole thing. If you're interested I'll post pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Yeah for sure if you wanna throw up a post in the buy/sell thread we can get this show on the road

• Locked thread