Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think I liked Ion secretly being not a good person and kind of evil when it was just hinted at, and not really obviously shown. Now she's just the worst, and a huge bastard.

Also,

Super Jay Mann posted:

This was the part where I was like "Oh that's right, I'm playing a Gust game, thanks (not) for reminding me :geno:" It just kind of sneaks up on you right when you've put it in the back of your mind.

The sad part is I'm not even sure this is more :japan: than mind-Shirotaka double marrying mind-Sarly and her exact clone.

Sarly's 2nd dive was just weird nonsense. This is way more hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Barf.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
That potted plant back there should have been a bunch of lilies instead.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:japan: :patriot:

Super Jay Mann posted:

This was the part where I was like "Oh that's right, I'm playing a Gust game, thanks (not) for reminding me :geno:" It just kind of sneaks up on you right when you've put it in the back of your mind.

The sad part is I'm not even sure this is more :japan: than mind-Shirotaka double marrying mind-Sarly and her exact clone.

This is far worse. The double Sarly thing was a metaphor for her contradicting feelings (and they fused 5 mins later anyway).

THIS? :japan:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, fair's fair this is also supposed to be a a metaphor. That's how they justify this nonsense. Nay is paradoxically serving Ion while saying she'll never listen to her because although she does pretty much hate and distrust Ion she's kind of indebted to her and listens to her anyway. They just decided to show this through, well through whatever that poo poo was.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah when we get to the payoff of learning what's actually going on here it's honestly a pretty good level that actually works really well with the multiple participants but it does hit us with that CG art. There's still one more piece of weird art that philosophically exists back in Cass 1 if we go back now and hit on Sharl Cass but otherwise we're actually cashed on these really hosed up ones. Well new ones, maybe this one will return Godzilla-like in part two of the Dive (it will hide your loved ones).

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Feinne posted:

There's still one more piece of weird art that philosophically exists back in Cass 1 if we go back now and hit on Sharl Cass but otherwise we're actually cashed on these really hosed up ones. Well new ones, maybe this one will return Godzilla-like in part two of the Dive (it will hide your loved ones).

Well, theres also the one not as bad one in Cass/Kannon. It isn't as weird as the other though. And yeah, the art does make sense, although there are better ways to show what it represents, that involve less foot-licking.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure I already went through all five stages of grief the first time, so hopefully we can skip straight to "acceptance" when it comes back around.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ion is really the shittiest person, god drat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A tiny world, trapped in a vice.

CG aside, it's a pretty good realization of exactly how much Ion and Nay ended up relating to each other - by force and necessity, not by choice.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

legoman727 posted:

Ion is really the shittiest person, god drat.

Well, we were warned long before this that the thing she values most is herself.

Also in fairness we're on a metaphor-laden voyage into some of the deepest parts of her mind; what we see reflects what she's thinking and feeling, not necessarily what she'd actually do. Nobody else in the series exactly comes off looking flawless in their Dives either.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 7, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, fair's fair this is also supposed to be a a metaphor.

what loving metaphor is this supposed to represent so i can proceed to never use it ever

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

quote:

Well then ... :japan:

Super Jay Mann posted:

Nah, that was sorta kinda cute-ish

This is just, well ...

Lunar Suite posted:

This is wrong on so many levels. :stonklol:

someone create the most wrong caption for the above image

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Less a metaphor more a factual statement that this is a Gust game.

The next one will actually straight spell out what's going on in perhaps as clear terms as a Dive ever does and put the artwork where our heroine has her arm around one of her half-naked friends while the other licks her foot into some sort of context.

And yes please god try and find a worse caption for that image than any of the actual text that accompanies it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

"In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, you get the women."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thuryl posted:

Well, we were warned long before this that the thing she values most is herself.

Also in fairness we're on a metaphor-laden voyage into some of the deepest parts of her mind; what we see reflects what she's thinking and feeling, not necessarily what she'd actually do. Nobody else in the series exactly comes off looking flawless in their Dives either.

But this is the 2nd dive in a row though where Ion has been an absolutely horrible person to Nay, two completely different mindscapes where Ion has betrayed and manipulated her. It paints a pretty poor picture of their relationship, pretty much entirely on Ion as well. She's gonna need to make up for this in a big way, even though a lot of it is probably in Nay's head.

Pollyanna posted:

what loving metaphor is this supposed to represent so i can proceed to never use it ever

Hey, the rest of my post explains it. :v:

Though, it's not really a metaphor that needs to be expressed through sexy CG art, but I am unsurprised that was the medium they went for considering the rest of the game. To me it's just worse than the other examples because what's happening is way more messed up. And the last time Ion did a horrible thing the conclusion was that yeah she is kind of crazy (if for sympathetic reasons) but because you love her she will heal. Which is an incredibly lame resolution, and i'm not expecting this to be resolved any better.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

This actually gets resolved by the affected parties, you just assist by shaking things up a bit.

We'll see why but basically Ion being horrible to Nay is exactly what Nay wants from her, and not for creepy reasons.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

We'll see why but basically Ion being horrible to Nay is exactly what Nay wants from her

I had my body stolen by a teenager from another dimension and she didn't even have the decency to be a bitch about it!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
You know... would a soul transfer be that hard? Ion and Nero did it pretty easy back during that whole Neptron debacle, and it seems like the Surge Concerto has enough power to do a pretty good job of executing complex commands even without sticking an extradimensional child in there as a cheap AI-Ersatz.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lunar Suite posted:

You know... would a soul transfer be that hard? Ion and Nero did it pretty easy back during that whole Neptron debacle, and it seems like the Surge Concerto has enough power to do a pretty good job of executing complex commands even without sticking an extradimensional child in there as a cheap AI-Ersatz.

I think both Ion and Nay would decline on PTSD grounds, a.k.a. "the first time was bad enough already"

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, and that assumes Nay really wants her original body back.

Update should be tomorrow.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Anyway, considering Ion's role as the player's computer waifu and their forays into transdimensional.... 'relationships', I'm keeping a wary eye out. I know how these things end.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Lunar Suite posted:

Anyway, considering Ion's role as the player's computer waifu and their forays into transdimensional.... 'relationships', I'm keeping a wary eye out. I know how these things end.

Is that a Molex..chan-thing?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

mastersord posted:

Is that a Molex..chan-thing?

It's from Gravity Falls. It's a episode where Soos finds an old dating sim game in a bargain bin and starts playing it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I believe that's Giffany.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really need to watch that show.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I believe that's Giffany.

Is it pronounced Eye-on, or Ee-yon?

But yes, this is from the episode "Soos and the Real Girl" where our beloved manchild side character purchases a haunted dating simulator, Romance Academy 7.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ion you mean? It's Ee-yon, short for Ee-yon-ah-sahl.

There's also a Nyarko-chan with an eldritch dating sim game as I recall.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

Was trying to make a GIF/ Jif joke and failed.
Oh, did we ever expand on the tons of horrible poo poo Kanon went through in her backstory? I think Renall is the only on here who didn't go through a childhood filled with :eng101::respek::moreevil:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

Was trying to make a GIF/ Jif joke and failed.
Oh, did we ever expand on the tons of horrible poo poo Kanon went through in her backstory? I think Renall is the only on here who didn't go through a childhood filled with :eng101::respek::moreevil:

Renall's father was a racist megalomaniac rear end in a top hat, and that's putting it kindly. Somehow I dount Renall's childhood was all sunshines and rainbows.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Feinne posted:

Ian.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
And it sounds like "aeon". That's probably supposed to be meaningful.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Renall's father was a racist megalomaniac rear end in a top hat, and that's putting it kindly. Somehow I dount Renall's childhood was all sunshines and rainbows.

What is it about the power of songs, created through being honest with your emotions and sharing your innermost self with someone you trust, that brings out the absolute worst in people?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

What is it about the power of songs, created through being honest with your emotions and sharing your innermost self with someone you trust, that brings out the absolute worst in people?

Unfortunately sometimes when you look at someone's innermost self you realize they're kind of a prick.

We'll see what it is with Ion later today, I wanted to update yesterday but I was doing too much 'not updating' and ran out of time.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Now, let’s finish up that Dive, and quickly. Your mother said something about throwing coins off the Rinkernator, and I can’t ever be sure if it’s a joke when things like that come up.

I pity you, really, I do… You lost your whole body, and now you’re gonna lose your head because of me.
Stop, it’s a trap!/If it will save you, then it’s fine.
Well, yeah, maybe that’s true. But she… Ion never lies.
Even if this were some kind of trap, if I can just get this world back, things will go back to normal.
And your sacrifice is going to return my world to the way it was. Thanks, really.
Once the vice is returned to normal, and the world is back in a state of peace… I’ll make a memorial for you.
Okay, I’m dropping you…
Maybe you should close your eyes… It’ll be less scary that way.
Here I go…!
No regrets!

What’s wrong? Hurry up.
We should run away!
No one’s watching… So if you just stay quiet, no one will find out.
Wait! I’ve got a bad feeling!/Alright, thanks!!
Huuuh!? I’m saying we’re going to save you… You don’t seem that grateful.
Don’t worry, she can’t follow us. We need to go to the vice and open it up, though.
No! They already know about that.
Then, what the heck are we supposed to do!? Just watch my world crumble!?

Earthes noticed Nay didn’t actually seem like she was ever planning on going through with Ion’s request, and decided to call her out.

No, you can’t walk! Here, it’s dangerous… Let me come with you.
This is unnatural. Has to be purpose./Yeah… This is the end.

I’m frankly amazed. I guess you didn’t make it this deep for nothing.
That’s right… I wasn’t going to drop you in the pit, or open the vice…
Then we’ll be like this forever.
Yes, I suppose so.
But… Isn’t that just amazing?
If someone just makes one wrong step, this whole world goes straight into oblivion. I’m living on the edge.
To think, that if I finished you off Ion would just leave my world. I couldn’t have that…
Without Ion, who’s going to let me enjoy these “safe” thrills?
Was this all an act?
I’m completely serious. Nei Yuuki did destroy my world. And, she took away everything that mattered to me…
During the war with the Sharl, she intervened… And the Divine Empress of Felion, well, fell.
What an annoying bitch.
But, as long as she exists, this world cannot fall apart. Do you know why?
Abandonment of responsibilities./Dunno?

There was, after all, no way she could let Ion get away.

That makes me the tragic heroine who gets to ride on these thrilling attractions for free!
Oh, it’s so fun… Like riding a rollercoaster over and over. For free…
So, there you have it… I’m going to have to use this a little more.
???: Nay!
…! Why are you here?
I was worried about you, so I had to come find you. You couldn’t throw it away, could you?
Shut up! Why the hell would I listen to YOUR orders!?
…Nay. If you keep up this attitude, I’ll put you in a very bad room… Lock you in with no food for 3 days.
…Eek!
No Ion, you’re being used.
So, you’ve finally realized it, then?

Ion was, of course, well aware.

Huuuh!? What the hell are you two rambling about!?
Heh. I know you told Earthes on purpose, right? To get one step closer to that near-death thrill.
I’ll give you what you want… A thrilling ride you won’t forget.
…! D-Don’t…
Hehehe, doesn’t this just make you happy!?
See, Earthes? These are Nay’s true colors.
I’m just doing all of these things to her, to keep her needs satisfied. I’m just playing a role.
She’s my friend, after all… I’m about the only one who can understand her darkest desires…
You’ve got to be kidding me, right!? P-Please, help me Earthes! Or she’s going to do even more-!
Now, Nay… It’s time to go back to the castle… Where, I’m going to discipline you even more.
Noooooo! P-Please, help me… I-I’m gonna die!

Feinne’s Notes:
The CG art is coming again in this next sequence, but it’s short enough that I’m going to spare you putting it back up. If you feel the need just go refer to the previous update.

She also decided Earthes’ plight wasn’t that amusing anymore.

But, I think you understood me. So, I’ll give you your body back.
Now, Nay… Let’s go.
No no no no no no!! Help me!
* Sigh * Thank goodness, you were able to understand Nay, Earthes…
With your support, Nay can continue to live here without mentally breaking down. Mhmm.
You were like that before, too, right, Kanon?
That’s right… Long ago, I thought I needed to decide everything alone…
But, Ionasal freed me.
She taught me that, even if a decision was mine to make… It’s not wrong to get input from others.
Now, Ionasal is my trusty advisor in any matters… My life has been much easier since I’ve had her.
You’re wrong… It’s because you’ve worked so hard. Changing yourself really isn’t that easy, you know?
Now, Nay… It’s your turn to become relaxed.
…! How the hell could I!? With you always bossing me around!?
Something’s wrong./Everyone looks happy.
Nothing’s wrong… Everyone’s happy like this.
It’s not that easy for one person to understand another’s happiness, you know?
This is a symbiotic relationship we took a long time developing.
I’m sure you have something like that, too, right? Some form of love that others can’t understand?
I thought that you would be able to understand us…

Earthes understood quite a bit more than Ion would have hoped, I think.

Because, after all, you’re supposed to protect my life, right?
But really, you’re just someone on the other side of a screen, so… It’s so hard to understand you…
That’s why I need to fill that gap in my heart right now...
I want to have a relationship with you, like the one Kanon, Nay, and I have…
What should we do?
Well, you see, that’s…
…Um…
I…!
I want you to marry me…!
More than happy to!/Don’t get so carried away!
Really!? Oh, you make me so happy!
I was always so worried… Not sure of the day we would be apart from one another…
But, if we were married, you would always be by my side, right? Forever and ever…
Congratulations, Ionasal… And Earthes.

And so, I would like you to help prepare for this wedding, Kanon…
Of course, it would be my pleasure.

For one thing, Earthes picked up on a bit of a slip Ion made and decided to go with the flow for the moment. Hmm? Oh, you’ll see. Just wait.

You would look gorgeous in that gown, and in a white chapel.
You think so…? Because I was actually leaning towards a Japanese-style wedding.
Very well. Then, I shall prepare the venue for a Japanese-style wedding.
Nay, you’re going to give us your blessing, right?
Who the hell would bless YOU!?
Aww, too bad… Well, if not in the reception area, you can wait in that room, you know?
Huh…? N-No…! I don’t want to go back there!
What can you do, it’s Nay’s choice… I’ll bring you leftovers from the wedding, don’t worry.
H-Hey! Stop that!
Nooooooooooo! I don’t want to go back there… Please, help me!
Well then, dear… I’ll be waiting at the chapel, so please, don’t keep me too long.

Nelico decided to drop in afterwards and offer some advice.

Boy, I can’t believe this day is finally here… There was much rejoicing.
Are you mocking me?
Obviously. How could you even consider going through with a wedding like this…?
Have you noticed? What’s going on in this world?
The 3 are dependent on each other./Yuri developing between the 3.
Heh heh heh, I’m surprised you could even see that… Dependence.
Now listen to me. Leaving this world the way it is… It won’t change reality much…
This strange relationship between the three, creates stagnation.
It has nothing to do with you, though… So I suppose there’s no points explaining too much.
Remember, though, if you absolutely must meddle in their affairs… I’ll tell you a secret as to how.
The lighthouse keeper is the source of this. True, the other two may seem twisted… But they’re nothing.
First, you need to straighten out the lighthouse keeper… Put those three in separate rooms!
And then, listen to what Nay and Kanon have to say.
Alright! I’ll d it!/That’s a little sad.
There you go, that’s the spirit.
That said, this is just my observation… I can’t guarantee any results.
Perhaps enjoying a secret mental harem with those three is also another option… Keep it the way it is…
The rest is entirely up to you now. Heh heh heh!

Earthes headed to the chapel to give Nelico’s plan a shot.

But, I’m sorry… Kanon hasn’t finished all the preparations yet…
Ionasal, I apologize for the wait.
What’s the matter?
No, it’s just… I’ve been thinking since then, and… It’s strange having a Japanese wedding at a chapel.
The decorations are so mismatched, I fear you’ll regret this down the line…
I appreciate your concern, Kanon, but I insist we have a Japanese-style wedding.
It’s the person’s desire that matters most in a wedding, right? Am I saying something that strange?
No! No you aren’t… I understand. We’ll have a Japanese-style wedding.
This is definitely weird!/I’m excited!
Dear…? What’s the matter?
Kanon has no opinion!
That’s not true! I’ve given a lot of thought to the matter, and am simply trying to accommodate everyone!
Dear! It’s like Kanon says…
I assist you, Kanon… And in return, you feel confident in your decisions, right? We help each other.
Try trusting Nelico/Try trusting Ion
Huh…? What’s the matter, Earthes?
Eh!?
Aaaaah-!
What do you think you’re doing!?
Bring Ion and follow me.
Huh? Why am I…?
Just hurry!!
V-Very well, then I shall go.

After knocking Ion out, Earthes headed to Nay with her and Kanon in tow…

Hey, what’s going on…
What the-!? Why’s Ion on the ground!
Both of you go outside./Get out of here!

…And then promptly locked Ion away from the two of them so they could really talk.

I really don’t care either way, to be honest, but… If she dies from this, that’s pretty pathetic.
So? What do you want to do with us?
You’re too dependent on Ion.
Huh? Dependent? Please! She’s the one oppressing me!
And, I don’t consider myself dependent. I think for myself, and reach my own conclusions…
Huh? Uhhh, sorry, but that’s not really true.
What do you mean?
You’re not even close to being independent… You just follow her orders. Does what she wants you to.
Th-That’s because our opinions happen to be the same…
Lies. Take this wedding… You were pushing a Western-style one the whole time, until Ion opened her mouth.
At first, you were against imprisoning me, right!? And now what… You’re taking her side?!
Th-That’s…
You tell yourself you’re thinking independently, but you just follow her every whim!
If you ask me… It looks like you’re just clinging to her. Pathetic…
That’s not what’s going on… I just feel so much better when Ionasal agrees with me.
And if she doesn’t agree, it fills me with doubt… Makes me question whether it’s the right decision…
THAT is what it means to be dependent!

Kanon wasn’t going to take that lying down, and fired back.

Please… Look how much I loathe her. She’s keeping me locked in a room! How could I be dependent!?
Then, when Ionasal offered to leave your world, why didn’t you follow through?
Th-That’s because…
And, I realized during the war with the Sharl… You really didn’t want to kill them, did you?
But, people would point fingers at you. You were saved when Ionasal showed up and stopped the attack.
You bear no responsibility. I can say the same for other instances, too… Since Ionasal has taken your body.
You shift all your doubts onto Ionasal, and stabilize yourself mentally. Am I right?
This way, you can blame Ionasal for anything you want, when in fact… You have no intention of leaving her side.
… * Sigh *
I guess you’re not the ruler of the Sharl for nothing.
I’ve seen many types of people in my years. I can spot someone’s true nature in a heartbeat.
You got me. You’re right…
So, I guess that makes both of us. We both needed her in our lives.
So it would seem.
So what are you going to do now?
Should we go talk to Ion…?
Yes… This will affect our relationship in the future, so… We should discuss it properly.

Things were still not quite sorted out, though.

How cruel…! Why would you do this!?
Ionasal… There’s something we want to ask you…
Yes, but first, let’s go back to the castle.

They headed back to the castle together.

That we’ve been relying on you too much.
I don’t think that’s really true…
Earthes? You did something strange to them, didn’t you?
I just told the truth.
Well, the two of us talked it over, and arrived at the same conclusion.
Exactly. So it’s not Earthes’s fault.
Actually, we thought we owed you an apology.
I’m sorry, Ion… We’ve caused a lot of trouble for you.
Yes, I was angry at you… But that’s all a thing of the past now…
Sure, when I want to curse someone for what’s happened to me… I direct my anger towards you. But that’s selfish.
What do you mean…?
I can say the same about myself… Despite my will to become independent, I have relied on you countless times.
I would always favor choices that were in alignment with yours, so I wouldn’t have to bear the responsibility.
Buuh!? But… That’s not true at all!
No, it’s just as you said, Ionasal… You’ve been taking too good care of us.
We’ve decided it’s time to start taking care of ourselves around here and not share the responsibility.
It’s tough, bearing the weight of the Divine Empress on one’s shoulders… But you’ve been carryingit all along.
So, I’m sorry for everything.

And got to the real heart of the matter.

We can keep things the way they were, you know? Just how they were until now… You’re allowed to blame me.
I’ll take on any weight you two want to throw away… Please, rely on me!
We’ve made up our minds.
…N-No… Th-Then…
What’s going to happen to me!?
Huh?
How am I supposed to live like this? From now on? On my own!?
H-Hey, Ion… You’ve always been living on your own. Until now!
No, I don’t want to! I need to be your favorite. The one you come to! I have to be!
Nay’s number one… Kanon’s number one… It HAS to be me!
I can’t settle for anything less…
…Ionasal.
That’s why you kept them captive?
…Yeah, because… Without that, what am I left with? What’s my existence…?
I was only able to live so strongly because of you, Nay… And Kanon. You two would support me…
If you didn’t then, I’d be alone again…!
No, I don’t want that… I don’t want to be shunned by everyone…
What happened in the past?
Yeah, if there’s something on your mind, you can talk to us, you know?
…Yeah

Ion’s life on her world had had never been what she’d hoped.

My family, relatives, and friends would always look at her. Center of attention… No one looked my way.
I…I think I was an “unwanted” child in my own world. No one expected much from me.
That’s why, I thought I had to study really hard, so I could make a difference. I took up engineering…
But, we lived in the countryside, so people would roll their eyes at the thought of a girl in engineering…
I was more isolated than ever. I had to leave my own house, and move into a church.
After that, the incidents weren’t as frequent, but… I was always concerned with how people saw me.
Ever since I came to this world, especially… I didn’t know anyone. I was alone…
That’s why, I have you, Nay, Kanon… I thought I would never have to let you two go…
…It wasn’t easy for you, either, was it…?
That’s not true! I think it’s been much more difficult for the two of you.
Now… Just because we want to be more independent doesn’t mean we’re not going to see you anymore, you know?
…Really?
Yes yes… I just regret my own actions up until now… It’s not that I don’t like you anymore, Ion.
…I mean, people will always have their likes and dislikes. You can’t change that… Right?
Nay…
I’m not going to be alone, am I…?
Of course not.
Yeah. And you need to stand up straight. Be proud of what you are!
Yeah… Thanks, both of you.

With that, the level was completed and they were able to progress.

Nay, you came for me… Where’s Kanon?
She’s not here right now. This is my world, after all…
In the end, you and I are the only two that need to cross that gate.
I see. I guess we need to thank Kanon later on, don’t we?
Oh, don’t worry about it… We’ve all matured through this, right? It’s not like one person was responsible.
But, if you really want to thank her, you should pass it onto Earthes.
Huh?
Because, to him, all the problems in this world were really irrelevant, right?
Even then, you still tried so hard for us…
Yeah… I guess so.
I caused you so much trouble, but I didn’t even get to thank you for everything you’ve done.
Thank you… Truly.
Because it’s for Ion./All for the greater good.
Hehehe, I like it when you say that to me.
Nothing makes me happier than hearing it’s all for me. But, we need to keep trying to be independent, too.

Which included one last surprise.

Huh!? That reminds me… There wasn’t a “ruler” in this world, was there…?
What are you talking about? I’m the ruler. You’re looking right at her!
Huuuuh!? You’re the ruler of this thought… Then, the Song Magic is…
I would just show up, I suppose.
Really!? You’d be summoned, Nay?
Of course, but with the disclaimer, “*Actual Nay May Vary”. It won’t be the REAL me…
Oooh, whew. You scared me there.
I feel safer already, thought, being able to fight by your side, Nay.
Right!? You better use me to your heart’s content!
Yeah! Well, then… Shall we go?
Yah. Celebrating the maturity of our hearts…

Hmm, I know it’s been a lot, but how about we do just one more Dive. Let’s see how Ion’s all ends.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Traveler, Part 1

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Re-reading this dive, I had a thought:
did they just imply that Ion using frankly weak-rear end arguments against Kanon and Nay during the lead-up to Hydra_Heteromycin was deliberate on Ion's part, so that she'd have an excuse to have to impose her solution by force and absolve them of responsability?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Yuri developing between the 3.

No, gently caress this, I'm done. Props to GUST for knowing their audience, I guess, but even if that's a troll options, I refuse to deal with this. Rrha apea gagis paul ini ar ciel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, that absolved itself absurdly neatly. The whole Ion destroyed Nay's world and Nay despises her for it gets kinda dropped to focus on how Nay is fine with that as long as Ion basically takes away any responsibility she has. Which is a fine thing to consider, but back in Renall's genometrics the thing about how Nay and Ion are both hella messed up from the body switching shenanigans was sort of set up and it doesn't seem to have gotten much pay off.

It's also weird that this ends with Ion coming clean about using Kanon and Nay as well, rather than anything about Nay since all the buildup seemed to be more focused on her last update. Although, maybe i'm just getting tired of Ion. In general though the three just talking it out and deciding to stop using each other but stay friends is such as quick solution. This isn't actually the end of this plotline is it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm glad that Earthes gets what's going on here, cause I sure as hell don't. Also, what was that "slip-up" Earthes picked up on? I don't think it was pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ion says she wants to have the same relationship with Earthes that she has with the other two, then goes on to suggest they get married. It's a hint that what she really wants is to feel like she's the most important person to someone.

Renall's level wasn't really 'about' Nay and all her 'upset' in that level was exactly the sort of show she put on a lot in this level.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 10, 2015

• Locked thread