Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015

prussian advisor posted:

This is excellent advice, I appreciate it a great deal.

Any suggestions on novice-friendly starts, besides Otomo? General advice on how to conduct an early buildup or what types of facilities are best to construct? Long-term growth of bases seems to be confusing to me, and I don't understand if it ever becomes strategically viable to build your own fortresses from scratch rather than simply conquer those of others.

Also, is there an easy way to determine how many units you need to besiege a castle? In my first attempted game (Normal difficulty) I besieged a castle with a 500-man garrison with about 1900 troops and it wasn't enough to surround it properly.

Try the East by the Nanbu clan. I created a custom clan and started close to the Tozawa and found it fairly stress free since there aren't any superpowers to worry about. Just make sure to appease tribes or get relief forces to help you siege.

You can see how hard a castle/fortress will be to siege through clicking on it and looking at the HP (which goes down by using the storm command) and the soldier icon which is under the Lord portrait and shows how many soldiers the castle will produce. Make sure to storm a castle if you don't have enough soldiers/supplies to starve them out.

Cat Sidhe fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I kinda wish this still had the regional conflict options, instead of just being the full unification scenarios. It was good to practice or just quicker games in Iron Triangle to only worry about 8 enemies instead of the entire map of every clan ever.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Cat Sidhe posted:

Try the East by the Nanbu clan. I created a custom clan and started close to the Tozawa and found it fairly stress free since there aren't any superpowers to worry about. Just make sure to appease tribes or get relief forces to help you siege.

You can see how hard a castle/fortress will be to siege through clicking on it and looking at the HP (which goes down by using the storm command) and the soldier icon which is under the Lord portrait and shows how many soldiers the castle will produce. Make sure to storm a castle if you don't have enough soldiers/supplies to starve them out.

Is it generally better practice to appease tribes up to the point where they provide backup, or to fully assimilate them?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Is it generally better practice to appease tribes up to the point where they provide backup, or to fully assimilate them?

Assimilating them gives you more population, which also gives you more troops. But each tribe also has a special bonus they can give. I have a few tribes giving me gold every September in my Otomo game, and two tribes whose special ability is just "will always show up to a land battle, regardless of how close it is to their home".

So it's more a question of whether you need the population or the tribe bonus more. And that list screen I mention earlier also lets you look at tribes, so you can see the bonus they give, how many troops they send into a fight, and the stats of the guy leading that tribe's unit. Oh, and the help screen mentions something about how assimilating certain tribes could get you their boss as an officer, but I haven't done that yet. Not sure how it works.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
You could also try the Struggle for Power (1551) scenario as Oda Nobunaga himself. You start with only one castle, so it's not as overwhelming at first, but you get access to a lot of top-flight talent to begin with including, well, Nobunaga. The game gives you quests that give you well-defined goals, and if you follow them you'll very quickly come into possession of Kiyosu and Gifu castles and thus the strongest economic base in the Nagoya region with a really strong ally at your back to push towards Kyoto. Plus the game keeps handing you top-flight talent to fuel your expansion like Matsunaga Hisahide and Akechi Mitsuhide (neither of whom will actually betray you, or maybe I derailed history before the event triggers fired).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Pirate Warriors 3 on the Vita is pretty fun. It's ugly as sin and there's awful pop-up, but this seems to be a trade needed to load about twenty dudes at once on the screen. It doesn't look like much but it plays good, and there's a visceral joy of running through hordes of Fishmen as Ivanova trying my best not to quote Rocky Horror with each every 100 KO's.

This feels like a game I'd end up getting on the PS4 as well, because I think I'd appreciate the unlocking and all of the neat easter eggs a bit better with HD graphics, but it's pretty cool how well the Musou gameplay translated to portables. My first experience was with Hyrule Warriors, so this is all new ground for me.

EDIT: That said, I promised myself I'd get this for the Vita and save my PS4 Musou cherry for the Dragon Quest Heroes game.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I have no context for this except that it came from here:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Chortles posted:

I have no context for this except that it came from here:

Guan Yu's lesser-known title was "Lord of the Magnificent Chaingun."

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Guan Yu With A Chaingun is my favorite Avenger

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Secret Warriors got a bit wild in its later years.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So Pirate Warriors 3 completely skips Whiskey Peak and Little Garden, but then makes an entire stage out of fighting Bellamy, the guy who thought he was hot poo poo until Luffy floored him with one punch? :psyduck:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Suaimhneas posted:

So Pirate Warriors 3 completely skips Whiskey Peak and Little Garden, but then makes an entire stage out of fighting Bellamy, the guy who thought he was hot poo poo until Luffy floored him with one punch? :psyduck:

I can get skipping Little Garden since there's no way to make enemy armies be there, but a lot of the playable character choices are a bit strange. Like, you can't play as Django? That's a damned travesty.

Then again, I suspect that Pirate Warriors 1 and 2 probably feature more little side characters that get ignored in favor of these new...ones...

Also, I don't know who half of these people are any more. Who the gently caress is Vista? The gently caress did he come from? I'm so far behind on my animes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Suaimhneas posted:

To be fair, that was one of the iconic moments. Whiskey Peak and Little Garden tend to be less remembered. PW3 is basically a greatest hits summary of One Piece.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

They should've made it so you actually do beat him in one hit if you're playing as Luffy, Zoro or Sanji, then put a "Defeat Bellamy in a fair fight" objective in the legend log that you only get if you play the level as anyone else

Edit: this is only my second Warriors game after Hyrule Warriors and I have to say, even though I had a lot of fun in that game, it feels so good to not have to worry about damage taken for S ranks. Seriously, in some of the later adventure mode levels it was like "Oops I took a hit, time to restart the level." I like how in this one the failure state is all the way at the end of my health bar, not one quarter along it.

The only downside to this game in comparison is that I've only read the One Piece manga, so the music doesn't give me crazy nostalgia like all the Zelda buttrock did.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 8, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Bellamy is also important to the Dressrosa arc even though he's barely focused on in the game. It'd be strange for him to reappear in Dressrosa without a prior appearance.

Bart not making the cut is loving criminal, he's easily the most popular in the current arc.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The game will eventually tell me, but since he's so prominent in the intro, I'd like to know--who the gently caress is Sabo? Why does he look like Sanji?

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Broseph Brostar posted:

Bellamy is also important to the Dressrosa arc even though he's barely focused on in the game. It'd be strange for him to reappear in Dressrosa without a prior appearance.

Bart not making the cut is loving criminal, he's easily the most popular in the current arc.

When they were making the game Dressrosa had just started and Bartolomeo hadn't even shown up yet. It's why the Dressrosa part in the game is almost completely made up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The game will eventually tell me, but since he's so prominent in the intro, I'd like to know--who the gently caress is Sabo? Why does he look like Sanji?

I think he's Luffy and Ace's other sworn brother who became a Marine. I'm pretty sure he barely appears in-game though.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Dance epidemic tonight

The White Dragon posted:

I think he's Luffy and Ace's other sworn brother who became a Marine. I'm pretty sure he barely appears in-game though.

He's actually a Revolutionary along with Dragon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Actually it won't unfortunately since that was all a flashback arc. Sabo is the 3rd sworn brother to Ace and Luffy who supposedly died. Turns out he was alive and is now a revolutionary with Dragon.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

naginalJJ posted:

When they were making the game Dressrosa had just started and Bartolomeo hadn't even shown up yet. It's why the Dressrosa part in the game is almost completely made up

Sabo's in the game though, and his reveal was well after Bart introduction.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

It was pretty drat obvious Sabo was going to show up alive and with the revolutionaries though, since that flashback ended without seeing a body and Dragon returning to his ship with some unnamed injured person later the same day. I'm not even caught up yet myself (I'm at the Punk Hazard arc) and that isn't a surprising revelation.

I did almost have a heart attack when I saw "became a marine" a few posts up though

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Allarion posted:

Actually it won't unfortunately since that was all a flashback arc. Sabo is the 3rd sworn brother to Ace and Luffy who supposedly died. Turns out he was alive and is now a revolutionary with Dragon.

Ahhh. I hadn't gotten past Punk Hazard so there we have it. The Whitebeard War kind of left me emotionally drained.

That does also explain why Ace is showing up in the intro alongside Sabo, given...uh...certain things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Suaimhneas posted:

I did almost have a heart attack when I saw "became a marine" a few posts up though

Haha sorry brah, I misinterpreted how Pirate Warriors delivered the information.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

It was pretty drat obvious Sabo was going to show up alive and with the revolutionaries though, since that flashback ended without seeing a body and Dragon returning to his ship with some unnamed injured person later the same day. I'm not even caught up yet myself (I'm at the Punk Hazard arc) and that isn't a surprising revelation.

Yeah Sabo being secretly alive was hinted at, but his appearance in the story was extremely abrupt. There wasn't any indication that he'd appear in Dressrosa until after Bart had become a fan favorite.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I just tried out playing as Chopper, and I can't figure out how his weakness lock-on thing is supposed to work. The description at the top of his movelist says that after getting the target symbols on enemies I can hit them with a powerful attack by pressing R1, but that just makes him change to Guard Point whether there are target symbols or not. Am I missing something?

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Dance epidemic tonight

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's possible that Oda gave them some basic story beats and Sabo's design when they started. Don't get me wrong, I too would love Bart in the game (also Kidd! Why is Kidd not in the game???)

Suaimhneas posted:

I just tried out playing as Chopper, and I can't figure out how his weakness lock-on thing is supposed to work. The description at the top of his movelist says that after getting the target symbols on enemies I can hit them with a powerful attack by pressing R1, but that just makes him change to Guard Point whether there are target symbols or not. Am I missing something?

I think what it does is that enemies with targets on them take more damage from attacks.

naginalJJ fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 9, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

naginalJJ posted:

It's possible that Oda gave them some basic story beats and Sabo's design when they started. Don't get me wrong, I too would love Bart in the game (also Kidd! Why is Kidd not in the game???)

Kidd not being in the game is weird since they had that whole strongest Supernovas moment with Law and Luffy, but with Kidd missing it felt weird.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

naginalJJ posted:

I think what it does is that enemies with targets on them take more damage from attacks.

That's true, but in the short character description above the movelist it also says "Use R1 to put an enemy he has scoped down for good with a powerful special attack"

Hm, now that I've checked the exact wording, maybe it does something to his special, I'll go check.

Edit: nope, I tried triggering the special while holding R1 with scoped enemies in front of me, and there was no change.

Also I just beat the Skypia level and there was no Enelface, it'd better be in that third treasure event I failed to trigger or the game will be a failure imo :argh:

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 9, 2015

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Dance epidemic tonight

Suaimhneas posted:

Also I just beat the Skypia level and there was no Enelface, it'd better be in that third treasure event I failed to trigger or the game will be a failure imo :argh:

Enelface is there and it is indeed in that treasure event

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I kept missing that treasure event because I kept killing Enel right away. One of those cases where you have to play somewhat inefficiently for things to happen.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Speaking of treasure events. Do some of them not have cutscenes? Starting on the second part of Marineford and up through the next level, none of my treasure events triggered cutscenes, just the little word bubble with the circled question mark. Other cutscenes are playing though.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Dance epidemic tonight

Jibo posted:

Speaking of treasure events. Do some of them not have cutscenes? Starting on the second part of Marineford and up through the next level, none of my treasure events triggered cutscenes, just the little word bubble with the circled question mark. Other cutscenes are playing though.

All the ones I've done have given me cutscenes.

naginalJJ fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 9, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jibo posted:

Something to do with your graphics card probably. I had that happen, and soon story cutscenes were just black screens (but could still be skipped). I'm not sure if I fixed it, but I just changed my power management for my NVIDIA to always max performance for Pirate Warriors. Closing and reopening the game seemed to fix it hence why I think it's a power management issue where the game is too optimized so the card doesn't recognize it.

I could be wrong though since it was just guesswork on my part since you're the first that has mentioned the same issue as me that I've seen online.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 9, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

naginalJJ posted:

Law's Radio Knife on his C4 applies the red targets and reduces defense, yeah. They last a brief instant from that, though maybe Chopper's are different.

Weird that reduced defense is the doctor status effect.

Jibo posted:

Starting on the second part of Marineford and up through the next level, none of my treasure events triggered cutscenes,

I 100%'d the second Marineford battle earlier today and the treasure events do in fact have cutscenes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I 100%'d the second Marineford battle earlier today and the treasure events do in fact have cutscenes.

Nah, I had the same bug. I think it's related to playing as Luffy, because they played as normal when I was anyone else. You wouldn't have run into it since 100%ing the map requires you to not play as him.

How come some treasure events are fully listed the first time you do a map, and sometimes they aren't? gently caress you Punk Hazard map, "Rescue ??? before fighting ???" is really helpful.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 9, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, I had the same bug. I think it's related to playing as Luffy, because they played as normal when I was anyone else. You wouldn't have run into it since 100%ing the map requires you to not play as him.

How come some treasure events are fully listed the first time you do a map, and sometimes they aren't? gently caress you Punk Hazard map, "Rescue ??? before fighting ???" is really helpful.

It happened when I was playing as Hancock in Marineford. It fixed itself when I closed the game and restarted.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Allarion posted:

It happened when I was playing as Hancock in Marineford. It fixed itself when I closed the game and restarted.

Yeah same thing, Hancock on Marineford and Luffy on the next stage. Restarting fixed it though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I dunno how I got this all in one shot because I certainly didn't beat Doflamingo with a Kizuna attack at the end of the stage, but I'll take it!

e: how do I get the "strong enemy" coins? I unlocked Shanks and now I get them when I do the islands that give you new characters when you clear them, but I don't seem to get them anywhere else.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you beat the last level in Dream Log after clearing all the strong enemies, it should give you a fresh batch.