Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
For real fun, look at the Improved Divine Smite feature, that adds 1d8 radiant damage when you hit with a melee weapon. Throwing spears around works fine for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ActusRhesus posted:

Playing the party's rogue. Habitually roll 1's to the point of absurdity. Looking at either lucky feat or dungeon delver to help ameliorate this. Thoughts?

If you've got the INT for it, take two levels of Wizard and pick Diviner as your subclass.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

For real fun, look at the Improved Divine Smite feature, that adds 1d8 radiant damage when you hit with a melee weapon. Throwing spears around works fine for that!

Original working as intended, then?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Once again I'll note that 5E is a broken mess that does almost nothing that wouldn't be better served by choosing almost any other version of D&D(including Pathinder and other Clones), which sucks cause as books they are some of the best looking ones that D&D has ever had(along with Essentials as another example of iffy as an actual game, but beautiful as an actual book), and there's lot's of little ideas and aspects to it that I like, but if I were to use it I'd have to do so much modding that it pretty much would be a massive waste of my time compared to using almost any other system

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

jng2058 posted:

If you've got the INT for it, take two levels of Wizard and pick Diviner as your subclass.

"Take levels of wizard" basically solves all your problems, because 5e is 3.x derived.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Kurieg posted:

I remember back in 3.5 when you'd look at D&D.com and every day there'd be an article, whether they were previewing a new book that was coming out (with actual excerpts from the book) metacommentary about the game itself, and new ideas and options for both DMs and Players to use.
Yeah. Fourth edition had updates nearly every day of the week on the main site, from mini-modules to DMing advice.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Power Player posted:

Yeah. Fourth edition had updates nearly every day of the week on the main site, from mini-modules to DMing advice.

Updates including actual answers to rules questions, not an endless stream of "up to the GM"!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
WotC should just sell WWDMD bracelets.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Power Player posted:

updates nearly every day of the week on the main site

:derp: Just like World Of Warcraft :derp:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I decided to use 5e as my first online game in months if only because I figured I was sure to get a bunch of players, plus I'd been PbP-ing so much I wasn't actually sure if I could "do it live" anymore.

I didn't use a battlemap, just TOTM'd it straight. The only significant houserule that I threw in was using my own monster stats table and maybe playing fast-and-loose with skill checks (roll Religion to have Hestia divinely whisper the next clue in your ear).

As much as I make fun of it, it's not aggressively bad, but with how straightforward the game went I could've played B/X or Dungeon World and achieved much the same effect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This isn't grog, but it is a repost here because it completely sums up 5e.

quote:

This has come up several times in our campaign, and I'm wondering whether our DM is handling it right:
Last session, we had dug a hole into a cave, tied a rope on top, and wanted to climb down. Essentially, it's a 50 foot climb, where the first 30 feet are inside a 5 feet square shaft, and the last 20 feet are into a room.

Our esteemed DM declared that everyone has to role a DC10 STR(Athletics) check or you fall down the entire 50 feet. Most of our party consists of characters who focus more on DEX than on STR, except for my Halfling Barbarian who has 16 STR and proficiency in Athletics, so while I had no problem managing the climb, our cleric with 10 STR and no proficiency in Athletics fell down immediately. I will concede that since this was during battle, it should be a little more challenging, but we've also had this happen while not in battle.

I don't know, but I find DC10 to be a bit high for a simple climb down a rope. What do you guys think? How do you handle this in your campaigns?

Thanks!
The first reply...

quote:

It's arbitrary.
Personally, if I were DM of that game, a 50 foot rope climb down a shaft, with a wall to guide/balance, I'd make 5 checks. One for each 10 feet.
The first 2 would be at DC 5. It's very easy to climb down a rope that's hanging against a wall.
But then you start to get more tired as you go. The next 2 checks would be DC 10. Not very easy any longer, but still easy.
After 40 feet you're getting even more tired, and the last check would be DC 15.

Or maybe the first 3 checks at DC 5, for your full movement.
The last 2 checks at DC 10.
You can use the Dash action and get down this round, but raise the DCs by two to 7 and 12.
Okay class, can anyone point out the problem with this reply? :eng99:

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
For gently caress's sake. There is nothing more boring in D&D than climbing around on a goddam rope. f

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Sounds like it could use a three dimensional battle mat and checks made for every 5', along with a correlation table of character strength / constitute vs. equipment weight to determine the DC penalties given due to exhaustion. Also if the rope could somehow make checks too that would be cool too.

Wizard casts feather fall and just hovers down.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

EDIT: ^Well, hell.^

Personally, as a DM I make my players make a DC 5 Athletics check to avoid tripping over their feet for every 10 feet they walk. Dashing increases this difficulty check to DC 7, and furtherm-

I doubt the wizards have to make Arcana checks every 10 feet they fly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So complicated when you could use the Dark Eye method of having players roll whether their characters are too afraid to climb down.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I decided to use 5e as my first online game in months if only because I figured I was sure to get a bunch of players, plus I'd been PbP-ing so much I wasn't actually sure if I could "do it live" anymore.

I didn't use a battlemap, just TOTM'd it straight. The only significant houserule that I threw in was using my own monster stats table and maybe playing fast-and-loose with skill checks (roll Religion to have Hestia divinely whisper the next clue in your ear).

As much as I make fun of it, it's not aggressively bad, but with how straightforward the game went I could've played B/X or Dungeon World and achieved much the same effect.

Really the issue with 5E isn't that it's outright awful or anything, it's just aggressively mediocre, and in many respects that's a way worse thing for an RPG to be cause instead of giving up on it like people usually would with a really bad system, they instead choose to either defend the system, or put so much work into trying to fix it that they might as well just write a whole new game, same issue occurred with 3.5, except that version had so much official content released that it actually isn't all that hard to make it into something serviceable with the right sort of trimming and selectiveness with what rules & content you're using and allowing, while 5E has so little content(and doesn't look like it'll be receiving any real content in the future either) that to get it to really function either requires a ton of hand waving from the DM or a ton of houserules

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The maybe non obvious bit is that a low level character with an 18 strength has less than a 60% chance to make all those checks. A wizard (or rogue!) would have in the low single digits, and a better than even chance of immediate death from 5d10 damage.

A rope climb - something real people do all the time without dying - is suddenly deadlier than a group of orcs with swords.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

This isn't grog, but it is a repost here because it completely sums up 5e.

The first reply...

Okay class, can anyone point out the problem with this reply? :eng99:

1) The actual climbing rule is just climb = 1/2 movement (pg. 182). You only need to make athletics checks to climb if the surface is slippery or has few handholds. A rope is nothing but handholds. It's why climbers use them. 2) At the table that ruling would be a terrible cluster gently caress of 20 or 25 rolls, even more if you start doing falling damage rolls. And you will since 3) .8*.8*.8*.55*.55=.154 . That is, using his DCs, an average person with a bonus of 0 will manage to climb down a 50 foot rope less than 1/6th of the time. (This problem of multiple rolls spelling probabilistic doom was one of the things 4e fixed that is apparently being tossed into the memory hole.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not even the climb back up!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
This infernal engine is powered by raw gutfeels.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

The maybe non obvious bit is that a low level character with an 18 strength has less than a 60% chance to make all those checks. A wizard (or rogue!) would have in the low single digits, and a better than even chance of immediate death from 5d10 damage.

A rope climb - something real people do all the time without dying - is suddenly deadlier than a group of orcs with swords.

Falling damage in 5e is only 1d6 per 10 feet, capping out at 20d6. A 50 foot drop is less deadly than a 2nd level scorching ray. Someone with more than 120 HP can't die from falling any distance.

It's actually a little unfortunate. Pushing something over a railing is way more fun than beating it to death, but it barely does anything.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Rules for climbing simple rope:

1. Okay, what do you do now that you've all successfully climbed the rope?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pfox posted:

This infernal engine is powered by raw gutfeels.

Which is why 5E sucks

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Climb a knotted rope was on the sample DC chart. It's a 5, and that's climbing not descending.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Was it a different edition or house rule or something that made every ten foot increment inflict its own damage, so:

10 foot drop = (1d6) = 1d6 damage
20 foot drop = (1d6 + 2d6) = 3d6 damage
30 foot drop = (1d6 + 2d6 + 3d6) = 6d6 damage
etc.

I guess it was Gygax's own rules, according to http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/04/on-falling-damage.html

Could be too much effort for some people, but if you're looking for things to die when they get shoved off a tower or cliff this is a pretty good way to handle it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Good lord, people are so goddamn bad at probability.

"seriously, don't break up a single task into multiple rolls against the same DC over and over" is the sort of thing that should be in a DMG as actual advice for actual DMs.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

Good lord, people are so goddamn bad at probability.

"seriously, don't break up a single task into multiple rolls against the same DC over and over" is the sort of thing that should be in a DMG as actual advice for actual DMs.

We can shorten this rule to:

As it ought to be posted:

Hey stupid, is this ruling fun?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Was it a different edition or house rule or something that made every ten foot increment inflict its own damage, so:

10 foot drop = (1d6) = 1d6 damage
20 foot drop = (1d6 + 2d6) = 3d6 damage
30 foot drop = (1d6 + 2d6 + 3d6) = 6d6 damage
etc.

I guess it was Gygax's own rules, according to http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/04/on-falling-damage.html

Could be too much effort for some people, but if you're looking for things to die when they get shoved off a tower or cliff this is a pretty good way to handle it.

This system got published in the Dragon by Frank Mentzer with the explanation that this was how falling damage had always been intended to be. My experience is that most tables just shrugged and went on with 1d6 per 10', which was easier to calculate and not as lethal.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
No I think that needs to be spelled out specifically because we know people fall into the trap of thinking that five 50/50 rolls are the same as one 50/50 roll, just more detailed.

Yes, people are bad at probability.

I was rereading WHFRP 1E a while back, and there's an example of skill use - our hero steals a wagon, but has to make a ride check, a jump check, and a climb check. All three are like 25% chance of success - but naturally the example has the player succeed at all three, so the fact that there was actually a tiny chance of this actually working is obscured, and you walk away thinking this is a good approach.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

I've got some feedback on gradenko's monster math if anyone wants to hear it. I used it for the first time last night and it worked pretty well. Due to a combination of miscalculation and sheer recklessness on my part, the encounter was about CR3 (six "level 2" dudes) against a party of four level 1 PCs. They only *just* survived after blowing all their dailies, two PCs going down, etc, but I didn't have to pull any punches. So the overall challenge of the monsters seems to be spot on.

My only concern is that the fight went on for a long time, probably about as long as our 4E fights used to go for. This was fine in this instance because it was a white-knuckle battle and, to be honest, my monsters were cool as poo poo. However there was a lot of "I hit him, you hit him" especially at the end of the fight. This could get boring after a while, and the long fights was the #1 reason I wanted to move to 5th ed in the first place.

I think it's probably a mistake to port all the math assumptions of 4e to 5e because you will end up with the same length of combats, but way more boring because the PCs don't have a lot of interesting powers to play with. I think I will try to fiddle with the math and trade off some HP for damage, to bring it more in line with the monsters from the MM.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! I'm glad that worked out for you. I think you could probably just drop monster HP flat-out without any compensation in damage because damage still a bit on the high side thanks to a combination of me basing the damage numbers against a d10 hit dice class and the whole Hit Dice Healing mechanic not actually being all that great for enforcing any kind of longevity across an adventuring day.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My experience has been that rules-as-written 5e combat doesn't resolve much faster than (mm3) 4e. I seem to be playing more rounds per combat, so I guess it's "faster" in the sense of each round being shorter, but as long as people are casting spells, activating abilities, and making use of movement and terrain, the actual combats take maybe 5% less time at best.

I haven't convinced anyone to use Gradenko's math, and I'm still not DMing this loving thing, so I can't compare the two.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I gimp monster HP pools all the time because I'm bored of them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

goatface posted:

I gimp monster HP pools all the time because I'm bored of them.

I've nearly always done something to prevent foregone conclusions dragging out over the next hour. Narrating "you easily finish off the last few wounded orcs" or whatever is better than everyone rolling attack/damage for 30 minutes.

Exceptions are hexcrawl AD&D (because resource management) and most mm3 4e combats which actually ran pretty well most of hte time.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
In 4e I felt like each player's turn went by at about the same speed. Taking maybe 1 to 3 minutes depending on the level, power, and player. In 5e there is much larger variation in turn lengths. Mostly turns seem to be fairly quick, until someone has to look up a spell and everything comes to a complete stop. This really changes the subjective experience of fights even when the entire fight takes the same length of time. My paladin's turn takes all of 30 seconds, followed by 5 and 1/2 minutes of the other two player's turns. For me, a fight is mostly waiting around for the other guys to do stuff, but for them turns just zip by.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

wallawallawingwang posted:

In 4e I felt like each player's turn went by at about the same speed. Taking maybe 1 to 3 minutes depending on the level, power, and player.
I want to live in your world where turns happen that fast.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

I seem to be playing more rounds per combat, so I guess it's "faster" in the sense of each round being shorter

I mean that's not nothing, if people feel like they're more involved in the combat-

wallawallawingwang posted:

My paladin's turn takes all of 30 seconds, followed by 5 and 1/2 minutes of the other two player's turns. For me, a fight is mostly waiting around for the other guys to do stuff, but for them turns just zip by.

Oh, right.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

bio347 posted:

1-3 minutes was my experience as well but it requires a lot of agreements by the table such as always rolling attack and damage together, bonuses if you are/shame if you aren't ready by the time the table comes around to you, etc. It didn't really improve the enjoyment of play AT ALL because the amount of pressure to rush through this tactical combat game that's supposed to be the fun part of D&D really sapped the enjoyment out of it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

bio347 posted:

If a player turn takes 3 minutes, a DM turn takes 5, and there are 5 players + DM, you get 3 rounds per hour. We were going faster than that most of the time in 4e, at least after a couple of people got a handle on the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I used gradenko's table for two encounters last weekend, and it worked out great. It seemed more fun than the DMG's encounter math. The idea that you can trade survivability for damage on a creature seems highly flawed, and being able to quickly adjust to differences in player count is very useful. One fight against some spiders seemed a little underwhelming; I need to find out what poison damage from a failed save after an attack hits is worth, because it definitely isn't worth its full value. The fight after that against helmed horrors and animated armors was a lot more interesting. The players felt genuinely threatened, even while the assassin one-shot one of the armors in the first round.

I've been dealing with stuff having lower or higher AC or attack bonuses by scaling the damage and hit points; When my level 6 helmed horrors had 18 AC instead of 15, I multiplied the base hit point total by the difference in the player's estimated chance to hit (45%/60%, so 75% base HP). Same thing for attacks, but assuming a base chance to hit of 40%. My group is pretty combat-minded and we don't have time for many encounters, so I run around 1.5x the number of players in equal-level monsters. I've been halving or doubling the damage and HP of creatures in exchange for them taking up half or double their normal player count, when I want fodder or bosses.

The only thing I've been using the DMG's math for anymore is to see how how much effective HP or DPR a trait is worth. Even the monster manual has been a bit rough; Most of the monsters I look up around the CRs appropriate to the players just make weapon attacks every round. Without heavy modification, my players can just stack AC and stack up for cover to become invulnerable, and the only creatures that affect an area seem to be spellcasters and dragons.