Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Droid Washington posted:

Can anyone fill me in on Tomb Raider? Is the most recent one good for PC? I gather it's basically a Zelda-type game with an Indiana Jones type girl rather than an elfish boy.

Tomb Raider is excellent. I can't compare it to Zelda since I haven't played it, supposedly it's more like Unchartered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droid Washington posted:

Can anyone fill me in on Tomb Raider? Is the most recent one good for PC? I gather it's basically a Zelda-type game with an Indiana Jones type girl rather than an elfish boy.

Pretty much. Tomb Raider: Legend and Anniversary are also quite good, but they're not in the same continuity (the newest one's a reboot) and best played with a controller.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Droid Washington posted:

Yeah the PC version is full of options and whatnot and not just a phoned in console port. It's kind of a cross between Rocksteady Batman and Uncharted. A lot of "you can't access this bit until you get the upgraded bow thingy." Just don't expect to be raiding many tombs though, most of the game is a 3rd-person shooter.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Just bought Rocket League and holy poo poo it's awesome. If you like instant arcade action, short loading times and pretty graphics, this game is probably for you.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Re: Tomb Raider, just be aware it's loaded with QTEs. Mostly front loaded, but still.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I just watched Oblivion (The Tom Cruise movie) and it got me in the mood for desolate sci fi adventures. The problem is, Steam is FLOODED with first person survival sandbox trash.
I tried the Rodina demo, and while it controlled like hot rear end, it was rather pretty and enjoyable. I love the feeling of open loneliness that comes with that kinda game.

Can anyone recommend a good "desolate" sandbox sci fi game?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While not out yet, No Man's Sky will be right up your alley.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

It's not exactly sci-fi and there's nothing in the game that you probably haven't done before, but Mad Max is very much "desolate sandbox". Green Man Gaming are / were doing very good deals on it (60% off last week, dunno if it's still going).

State of Decay might fit the bill too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I just watched Oblivion (The Tom Cruise movie) and it got me in the mood for desolate sci fi adventures. The problem is, Steam is FLOODED with first person survival sandbox trash.
I tried the Rodina demo, and while it controlled like hot rear end, it was rather pretty and enjoyable. I love the feeling of open loneliness that comes with that kinda game.

Try Red Faction: Guerilla.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I've been playing GRAV. It's a little rough around the edges (Early Access) but it has its hooks deep into me. It's part of that wave of Minecraft/survival games but the "survival" elements are minimal, the basebuilding is fully realized, and it has this very compelling MMO-like advancement structure. The planets/moons are procedurally generated; it reminds me a bit of a 3D Starbound, setting-wise. You also get the ability to glide, a land vehicle, and a jetpack fairly early on letting you explore these really beautiful, desolate alien planets. It's on sale at the Humble Bundle store for $13.39 right now and includes a Steam key.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good ninja-type games? I'm thinking stuff like Assassins Creed where you do some neat parkour and flips before knifing a dude and disappearing. Playing MGS V has put me in the mood for more games like it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Robo Reagan posted:

What are some good ninja-type games? I'm thinking stuff like Assassins Creed where you do some neat parkour and flips before knifing a dude and disappearing. Playing MGS V has put me in the mood for more games like it.

Shadow of Mordor is pretty close to Assassins Creed combat and parkour.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Mark of the Ninja is a pretty obvious recommendation, although it's in 2D.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Droid Washington posted:

Ehhhh, its only zelda-like in the loosest of ways. Zelda games are all about big open worlds you can go back through and open up new stuff the more key items you get. Like a 3D Metroidvania.

Tomb Raider is closer to Gears of War in that respect; not that it has a bunch of shooting per se, but its pretty damned linear. Uncharted is the obvious comparison, but duh. Just a bunch of "go here, press this, go here, sneak past this guy, shoot that guy" stuff. Big setpieces and quick time events. Not like zelda at all.

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah I'd say Assassin's Creed or Shadow of Mordor like was already suggested.

Mark of the ninja isn't great but isn't bad either.

Shinobi and Tenchu are pretty awesome but they're not on PC. Ninja Gaiden is also pretty solid.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never played Shadows of Mordor, so I'll give that a shot next. Thanks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Definitely play Mark of the Ninja and also the more recent Ronin.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What's the best Devil May Cry available on the playstation 3 store right now?

As a side note I'd rather it be one with ranged weapons that aren't complete poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NeoSeeker posted:

As a side note I'd rather it be one with ranged weapons that aren't complete poo poo.

You're not supposed to rely on pure guns in any of the DMC games, period. If you really really want to then 1 is probably your best bet? :v:

Order of Devils may cry: 3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > DmC

4 is arguably better than 1 in some ways. On PS3 get the HD collection and just play 1 and 3.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
It's not about relying solely upon them. It's just that use of them isn't made trivial.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Looking for a new game to play.

Last games played (most recent first): Arkham Asylum (good but punchy stuff got old after a while, AC2/B/R was better here), Back to the Future (just OK), Puzzle Agent 1/2 (tired of samey puzzles), Life is Strange (fantastic), X-COM: Enemy Within (also fantastic)

On the short list:
  • Tales from the Borderlands - have never played a Borderlands game and know nothing about the universe
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - played about half an hour last year and didn't like the controls but maybe it needs time
  • Pillars of Eternity - have a few hours in, good but it's going to be a marathon and I'm always scared about making a bad character build :ohdear:
  • Valkyria Chronicles - have about an hour in, seems OK even though anime
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Diablo-type game I guess, but I've never played Diablo
  • Just Cause 2 - put a few hours into this when I first bought it
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist - why do I buy stealth games when I suck at them
  • State of Decay - popular when I bought it?

I could also just go back to XCOM or CK2 (I bought Charlemagne/Way of Life but haven't played with them yet.)

Or you can pick from: Recettear, Game of Thrones (Telltale), Game of Thrones (RPG), Euro Truck Simulator 2 (end goal would be...?)

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 9, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NeoSeeker posted:

Revengeance is a good DMC game

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Metal Gear: Phantom Pain. It has all the little micro manage stuff you'd like as well as amazing combat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

Metal Gear: Phantom Pain

I reallllllllly want an excuse to buy it, but I suck at extended stealth segments. Stealth-shooty, I can handle (aka Alpha Protocol, DX:HR), but I've heard PP punishes you if you are seen by making enemies more difficult, etc.

I've also never played a Metal Gear game. Stop judging me.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I reallllllllly want an excuse to buy it, but I suck at extended stealth segments. Stealth-shooty, I can handle (aka Alpha Protocol, DX:HR), but I've heard PP punishes you if you are seen by making enemies more difficult, etc.

It doesn't punish you so much as they adapt like how enemies did in Dishonored. If you go stealthy then they'll start perching snipers on the outskirts of bases. If you do a bunch of headshots they'll start wearing helmets. Use smoke grenades and they start using gas masks. etc. After a point you can basically make the game a rampage simulator once your heli is upgraded and you have your mech and are stealing tanks. The game is hella open ended in how you can tackle stuff.

But I've also got like 40 hours played already so I'm biased.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

This isn't your momma's Metal Gear.

It's well adjusted so basically anyone can play it. It's less stealth and more think outside the box. And there are no forced stealth segments I've seen yet.

Oh and it totally makes you feel like you're "playing the bad guy" so to speak. But this is only if you're a hardcore MG fan. You're literally one of the regiments you'd normally fight in a typical metal gear solid game.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 9, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Robo Reagan posted:

Dishonored doesn't have flips, but lots of blinking up walls and clambering through cities.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

On the short list:
[list]
[*]Tales from the Borderlands - have never played a Borderlands game and know nothing about the universe

Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands are fighting over my Game of the Year spot. It's going to come down to an episode 5 "Don't gently caress up the ending" deathmatch battle. I suspect they will tie: LiS for dramatic tension and "wtf" moments and TftB for hilarity.

Telltale Game of Thrones is unfortunate garbage that feels like a cash-in :smith:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Maybe a bit vague, but I want to play a strategy game (4x/grand strategy and the like) where building an army is expensive and time consuming, and battles can be decisive enough to where losing really fucks you over instead of most games where you can just crank out quick replacements. I want my forces to feel like they have weight, and must be used intelligently, not just out-spamming the enemy. I know EU4 is kinda like this, but I prefer something where combat is less abstract. I'm already playing Dominions 4, but I have more time to waste than that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MGS5 is one of the least "Metal Gear" of the Metal gear games. You can play it mostly loud and just shoot people if you want to, and its actually pretty fun and satisfying to play it that way, as opposed to say MGS1 where that just doesn't really work.

The last couple games since MGS4:The Movie have been getting more and more like Farcry, Portable Ops and Peace Walker and now MGS5 are all much more sandbox mission-based shooty affairs than just sneaking around. That said the sneaking is pretty cool too and there are times where you wanna go for extended stealth, so if that's not your bag I get it. But you can probably play most or even all of the game just shooting people if that's your bag too.

Like I usually start out pure-stealth, but then halfway through I gently caress up and get spotted, and then I just shoot everybody. :shrug: Works pretty well.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Like I usually start out pure-stealth, but then halfway through I gently caress up and get spotted, and then I just shoot everybody. :shrug: Works pretty well.

If you didn't notice this is actually the right way to play a game. Typically deployments and research cost not only resources but also time.

If something is 2 minutes away from completion do you really want to restart that save and have to wait 45 minutes again for it to complete instead of just completing the mission to keep it? Those items and thusly time spent playing without restarting are invaluable.

Tl;DR if you're managing the micro manage metagame well then not restarting after fuckups saves you loads of time despite maybe getting a poo poo rank on a mission

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DarthJeebus posted:

Maybe a bit vague, but I want to play a strategy game (4x/grand strategy and the like) where building an army is expensive and time consuming, and battles can be decisive enough to where losing really fucks you over instead of most games where you can just crank out quick replacements. I want my forces to feel like they have weight, and must be used intelligently, not just out-spamming the enemy. I know EU4 is kinda like this, but I prefer something where combat is less abstract. I'm already playing Dominions 4, but I have more time to waste than that.

Disciples 2 is very similar to Heroes of Might & Magic but with sending out small parties of up to six characters each instead of armies, that have to be built up through combat and customized between different paths to fit your strategy and your opponents. Losing a highly experienced unit or even a whole party can be devastating and takes effort to come back from, or it might be game-ending on its own.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Last games played (most recent first): Arkham Asylum (good but punchy stuff got old after a while, AC2/B/R was better here), Back to the Future (just OK), Puzzle Agent 1/2 (tired of samey puzzles), Life is Strange (fantastic), X-COM: Enemy Within (also fantastic)
The combat in Shadowrun (Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong) is similar to X-COM. I'd start with Dragonfall as it's more open than Returns but not as dialogue-heavy as Hong Kong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

If you didn't notice this is actually the right way to play a game. Typically deployments and research cost not only resources but also time.

If something is 2 minutes away from completion do you really want to restart that save and have to wait 45 minutes again for it to complete instead of just completing the mission to keep it? Those items and thusly time spent playing without restarting are invaluable.

Tl;DR if you're managing the micro manage metagame well then not restarting after fuckups saves you loads of time despite maybe getting a poo poo rank on a mission

Luckily since all the missions can be freely re-played to get higher ranks, I don't have to feel bad about blowing a mission and finishing it anyways. Yeah, that's the "right" way to play MGS5 as opposed to save-scumming for perfect stealth. Just finish the mission, get your rewards or whatever, and then do it again if you really want the S rank. Plus you can S rank even with shooting people if you're fast and stuff.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

The combat in Shadowrun (Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong) is similar to X-COM. I'd start with Dragonfall as it's more open than Returns but not as dialogue-heavy as Hong Kong.

I forgot I had Dragonfall already :downs: So maybe that is next, with some Tales from the Borderlands episodes mixed in.
[EDIT: or not, apparently I'm very bad at figuring out where the flank positions are.]

I've decided I'm too cheap to risk $50 on a brand new game/series.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 9, 2015

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Luckily since all the missions can be freely re-played to get higher ranks, I don't have to feel bad about blowing a mission and finishing it anyways. Yeah, that's the "right" way to play MGS5 as opposed to save-scumming for perfect stealth. Just finish the mission, get your rewards or whatever, and then do it again if you really want the S rank. Plus you can S rank even with shooting people if you're fast and stuff.

It's a pretty cool way to prevent save scumming. Only the people who'd actually benefit from not save scumming realize it and would find it a useful way to play the game. Which ironically includes the min/maxers who'd be the most prevalent save-scummers.

I think kojima created a new kind of playstyle with this game. I'd call it survivalist.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So can anybody tell me what the best modern Dungeon Keeper clone is out there?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Happily!

Evil Genius. http://store.steampowered.com/app/3720

$9 and its fantastic.

Dungeon keeper itself is pretty old. There's some fantasy direct knockoffs if evil genius' spy style isn't your thing, but IMO they're not as good.

Also something like Prison Architect might count? http://store.steampowered.com/app/233450 Close but not quite the same thing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

On the short list:
  • Pillars of Eternity - have a few hours in, good but it's going to be a marathon and I'm always scared about making a bad character build :ohdear:
  • State of Decay - popular when I bought it?

On Pillars of Eternity: This would have easily been my 2014 GotY and I thought it was a contender for 2015 but this year seems stacked so far. I didn't wind up playing through it in its entirety though, partially because I came to realize that the game seemed to be taking a note from Baldur's Gate 1's playbook and giving you a low level cap. (It's 12, to BG1's 8. This is a fair direct comparison because PoE has D&D's fingerprints all over it). Unlike BG 1 instead of increasing the cap in a hypothethical PoE 2 they're incrementally increasing the cap in the expansion packs. The first taking you from 12-14. Personally I'm going to wait to finish this one due to that, but it is a pretty drat good game.

State of Decay: I loved it when it came out. I still love it. I just wish there was some kind of halfway point between the 'feels abbreviated' story mode and the 'you literally can't win' survival mode.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Zaphod42 posted:

You're not supposed to rely on pure guns in any of the DMC games, period. If you really really want to then 1 is probably your best bet? :v:

Order of Devils may cry: 3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > DmC

4 is arguably better than 1 in some ways. On PS3 get the HD collection and just play 1 and 3.

4 Special edition does have someone who basically exclusively uses guns, but that's not available on PS3, so :v:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

There was a little while a couple years back where they made like a thousand of those, and the only one even vaguely worth playing of that lot is War for the Overworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zaphod42 posted:

Happily!

Evil Genius. http://store.steampowered.com/app/3720

$9 and its fantastic.

Dungeon keeper itself is pretty old. There's some fantasy direct knockoffs if evil genius' spy style isn't your thing, but IMO they're not as good.

Also something like Prison Architect might count? http://store.steampowered.com/app/233450 Close but not quite the same thing.

Thanks, I actually own Evil Genius I just haven't played it in a long time and sort of forgot about it. I remember looking into Prison Architect when it was super early access and deciding I'd wait until launch.

Unreal_One posted:

There was a little while a couple years back where they made like a thousand of those, and the only one even vaguely worth playing of that lot is War for the Overworld.

What prompted the question is I saw 'Dungeons 2' for sale on GOG and was thinking 'boy, a Dungeon Keeper with updated graphics would sure be fun'. I had heard of War for the Overworld and somebody told me there was a DK type of game in early access that was pretty good. You'd think by now somebody could recreate the magic of DK and/or DK2.