Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Bible posted:

Had it been written for TOS, it would be among the best 5 episodes and highly praised.

That's how bad TOS is. Unwatchable garbage.

(I watched all of it. Twice. Probably will watch it again in the future.)

Agreed but only if it had an extra schap that contained a brief fistfight in the California desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The Bible posted:

To be fair, TOS could probably be rated more a garbage scow.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

JediTalentAgent posted:

To be fair, TOS could probably be rated more a garbage scow.

I meant to say, it should be hauled away AS aaaaauuuiiiggggggghhhh

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

kira is having none of this allamaraine poo poo

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Seriously, with the rhymes and the triangular doors and poo poo, how is that anything but an homage to TOS?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Where does everybody stand on the Tuvix question? Would you kill Transporter Obama?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

As a crewman I'd be so sick of Neelix and so tired of Tuvok's rule minding that I'd beg to keep Tuvix.

As a captain I'd lament the loss of the chance to jettison Neelix into a star and would change them back.

As a viewer I'd want whatever makes Kes unhappy and pushes her to leave the ship.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FrensaGeran posted:

Where does everybody stand on the Tuvix question? Would you kill Transporter Obama?

Didn't Tuvix have all of Tuvok and Neelix's memories and skills? If so, there's no real practical reason to split him up again, especially since all the important stuff is in the Tuvok half and Neelix is useless, or would become useless the moment they travelled far enough away from his space. Tuvix could've continued Tuvok's job just fine probably. Neelix could've choked on a dinner roll and died the day before the accident and it would've made no difference.

Also, the morale hit of killing Tuvix seemed way higher than not getting Tuvok and Neelix back would've been. If it was just a matter of Janeway wanting her buddy back, I'd get it, but I don't remember the episode really dealing with that.

It probably would've been a much better moral quandary episode if Tuvix had been a blank slate they had to raise and retrain from scratch, rather than a direct combination of those two dudes with all their poo poo intact. Then the issue would've been "hey, do we kill this guy who's basically an innocent man-child so we can get our way more useful officers back, or do we let him live and pray that Harry Kim can handle Tuvok's job?"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Tuvix was a freak of nature and not how God intended life to live. This is also why gays are banned on voyager (you never see any do you?) and so are abortions.

Janeway was actually really religious, in one of the cut scenes she mentions how one of her heroes was arrested in the 21st century for standing up to a law forcing her to let gay people marry.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also that one bad guy alien race got the Phage because they were sinful and let gays marry.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kitchner posted:

Janeway was actually really religious

The only MORAL violation of the Prime Directive is MY violation of the Prime Directive

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Janeway insisted on Gelpacks instead of isolinear chips because the chips were a little too gay for her liking, like having a Men's Choir on board running her systems. She wouldn't tolerate it.

Also, why do you think she was in such a hurry to get out of 1990's Los Angeles that one time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

Didn't Tuvix have all of Tuvok and Neelix's memories and skills? If so, there's no real practical reason to split him up again, especially since all the important stuff is in the Tuvok half and Neelix is useless, or would become useless the moment they travelled far enough away from his space. Tuvix could've continued Tuvok's job just fine probably. Neelix could've choked on a dinner roll and died the day before the accident and it would've made no difference.

The quandary wasn't really about their usefulness... more about their right to exist.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I figured they were still in there somewhere, but I might be mistaking it for the Curzon-Odo thing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The basic moral question asked was an even less difficult version of the old train track dilemma, wherein you see a train coming that will kill 10 people, but you're near the rail switch that will veer the train toward 5 people. But in this case the train (transporter accident) already killed the 10 (Tuvok and Neelix) and by some magic you're asked if you'd force the 5 living people (Tuvix) to kill themselves so the 10 dead people can live again. To do so is morally repugnant and Janeway is evil.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Tuvix was better at Tuvok's job than Tuvok though. He was probably also better at whatever it is Kneelix does than Kneelix too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bible posted:

Had it been written for TOS, it would be among the best 5 episodes and highly praised.

(I watched all of it. Twice. Probably will watch it again in the future.)

please don't troll

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
tuvix was unambiguously murdered and the entire bridge crew are collectively responsible

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

please don't troll

He is right though. If Move Along Home had been shot in the 60s it would have been seen as a groundbreaking piece of TV and one of the best parts of the series.

Instead now we consider it garbage.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
remember when tuvix went around to his friends one by one and made an impassioned plea for even one of them to, just, say, "captain this is hosed up and not ok", thats all he was asking for. from the people he'd come to rely on and trust and care for in the weeks/months since being created, and the people who cared about him. tuvix very explicitly saying "this is murder, please dont murder me, i love and care and feel and have a right to exist" and not a single person would budge from "sorry dude we gotta murder ya, for reasons"
and especially when their unanimous act of murder flew in the face of every single precedent-setting star trek episode irt the rights of "sentient but of-ambiguous-provenance beings". like, remember those worker robot-drone things in TNG that data discovered to be sentient? how picard immediately forbade their use for dangerous labour once that was discovered + went way out of his way to protect them when they were in danger? one will note that picard inexplicably did not go "yeah theyre sentient but whatever dude we need those minerals"

its actually kind of incredible that theres any moral ambiguity in this episodes interpretation at all

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 8, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

weird how voyager was actually the darkest of all the series

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
thats why when some fuckin technology makes a life you fuckin kncok it out, you drug it immediately and you DO NOT TALK TO IT so when it comes time to murder it to fix the terrible godlike mistake made by your people mover magic device youre killing a thing that doesnt remember poo poo and cant feel poo poo

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I just saw "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?" and I can certainly see that it's a pretty weak episode. It raises a lot of interesting implications--I thought it made no sense for the Federation to be against genetic enhancements until they mentioned the Eugenics War; then I thought it made no sense for Bashir not to be disintigrated on the spot and two years in cushy Federation prison on Earth sounds like a slap on the wrist for doing what amounts to rolling a dice on whether you're going to make Super Hitler or not.

Still, if this is all they do with it and kind of let the fact that he's a genetic super human (which, again, feels like it would be par the course in Trek's universe) slide, it won't really ruin much else. The big problem was, this adds an unneeded wrinkle to Bashir's character right at the point where it feels like he's found his own feet and his own voice. It implies a sort of psychological instability that could be interesting, but unless they intend to make Bashir go villainous in the last season, it all seems forced and needless.

The B-plot about Rom stealing the huge titty Dabo girl from Voyager's Doctor was a little better.

Also, what kind of tone did they want this episode to have? It's played quite straight and serious, but features the most cartoonish possible circumstances in which Bashir's parents stupidly reveal their super serious crime.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kitchner posted:

He is right though. If Move Along Home had been shot in the 60s it would have been seen as a groundbreaking piece of TV and one of the best parts of the series.

Instead now we consider it garbage.

Well yeah, but that's because a black dude is the lead actor, all women in it are wearing pants and the midget is seen outside of circus.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Disco Infiva posted:

Well yeah, but that's because a black dude is the lead actor, all women in it are wearing pants and the midget is seen outside of circus.

Even without those things it still applies.

Slap Kirk, McCoy, and Scotty in am a parent life or death game being played by Mr Spock. The game progresses as Spock makes the ultimate logical super intelligent moves.

His last move is to seemingly risk killing the whole party by going the really risky route because he calculates that it actually poses the leas risk. You think the main crew all dies because of Spock's God drat logic and then poof it was just a game.

There's some sort of moral lesson everyone reflects on in the end and some banter between Spock and McCoy and end of episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't know why people endlessly lose their poo poo about Tuvix. Through your inaction two sentient beings are unable to exist again, why does that mean absolutely nothing, while this dude in front of you does? What if Tuvok and Neelix were there begging for their lives instead, would it be different? Wasn't there an episode were moody klingon got split into two parts, and eventually got put back together again, was that cold blooded murder too?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Premeditated murder of an innocent person is wrong? And asking "what if Neelix and Tuvok were alive and begging for help" is asking "if the situation were different, would the situation be different?" Well yeah okay sure. And you can't make a pragmatic argument either because Tuvix was fully capable doing Tuvok's job. Nothing was gained from murdering him other than the status quo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I know I'm referring to my own post here but:

drat it Spock, I'm a Doctor, not a chess pawn!

You are correct doctor. For you were not, in fact, in a chess game.

Kirk laughs and McCoy looks mad, Spock raises and eye brow, cut to credits.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think the fact that people will argue until they're blue in the face about whether killing Tuvix was right or wrong proves that it was in fact a good episode.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
tuvix was an amalgam of the most annoying character on the show and a close runner-up, how could you possibly want that thing around

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't know why people endlessly lose their poo poo about Tuvix. Through your inaction two sentient beings are unable to exist again, why does that mean absolutely nothing, while this dude in front of you does?
this seems self-evident to me

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The point is beings that existed will no longer exist, no matter what decision is made, why is the one I front of you more important than the two that are unable to plead for their life, even though they most certainly would if they could

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i guess this really depends on your opinion of abortion

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

counterfeitsaint posted:

The point is beings that existed will no longer exist, no matter what decision is made, why is the one I front of you more important than the two that are unable to plead for their life, even though they most certainly would if they could

2 > 1

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Because the one in front of you is the one in front of you. You service the patient, not the possibilities. The Doctor literally couldn't do it because it switched on his "This is evil" trigger.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"The needs of the Tuvok and Neelix outweigh the needs of the Tuvix"

- Spock

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
fun fact spice girls had a song about the tuvix episode

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

FrensaGeran posted:

Because the one in front of you is the one in front of you. You service the patient, not the possibilities. The Doctor literally couldn't do it because it switched on his "This is evil" trigger.

He was the doctor's patient, and he makes sense he would refuse because his responsibility is to his current patient. Janeway's responsibility is to the ship not Tuvix.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Was it just a possibility? I thought it was a sure thing, and it basically boiled down to push A for Tuvix, push B for the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Cry Havoc posted:

fun fact spice girls had a song about the tuvix episode

TLC's "Waterfalls" warns us against chasing after the waterfall that is Tuvix, and encourages appreciation of the rivers/Tuvoks and lakes/Neelixes that we already have.

• Locked thread