Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"Lions rookie RB Zach Zenner is not expected to have a large offensive role this season.
Joique Bell and Ameer Abdullah should serve as the Lions' primary backs with Theo Riddick filling in occasionally in passing situations. Zenner's role should be similar to the one served by George Winn, who carried the ball 19 times while mostly contributing on special teams a season ago. If Bell gets injured or is ineffective, however, Zenner could see his role expand. Sep 7 - 9:06 AM
Source: Detroit Free Press"

Zach Zenner more like Zach Sudfeld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

1ppr, 12 teams, standard lineup except we only have 1 RB, but two FLEX [RB/WR/TE].

Drop Bryan Quick to get James Jones? My other WRs are ODBJr, Julian Edelman, Jarvis Landry, Anquan Boldin, Doug Baldwin.

Nah, Quick with Foles will likely be a low end WR3 at worst. James Jones as GB's #3 isn't there. Anyway, Quick > Baldwin, too.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I dropped Baldwin for James Jones and never looked back.

Spoeank posted:

"Lions rookie RB Zach Zenner is not expected to have a large offensive role this season.
Joique Bell and Ameer Abdullah should serve as the Lions' primary backs with Theo Riddick filling in occasionally in passing situations. Zenner's role should be similar to the one served by George Winn, who carried the ball 19 times while mostly contributing on special teams a season ago. If Bell gets injured or is ineffective, however, Zenner could see his role expand. Sep 7 - 9:06 AM
Source: Detroit Free Press"

Zach Zenner more like Zach Sudfeld

I can't wait until Joique is ineffective for 4 weeks and the Lions stubbornly refuse to give ZZ any reps, then Joique pulls a groin and Zenner runs for 12/80/2 and never stops.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 8, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huh. Baldwin for Jones eh? I'll think about that. I'm not in love with Baldwin.

It seems weird dropping a WR1, though. Even if he is the WR1 on the Seahawks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Baldwin is the least-exciting WR1 in the league. Tyler Lockett is the Seahawks WR to stash.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What're the go-to streaming defenses for week 1? I haven't had time to do my usual draft prep this year so I still haven't bothered looking at defenses or late round/sleeper guys.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

VDay posted:

What're the go-to streaming defenses for week 1? I haven't had time to do my usual draft prep this year so I still haven't bothered looking at defenses or late round/sleeper guys.

I grabbed Carolina against Jacksonville.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I ended up dropping Mckinnon for Michael, for what it's worth. While it's still a gamble I guess his opportunity to wind up with a decent chunk of carries is better. Last season when I had mckinnon while Peterson was out he was only OK anyway, with Asiata vulturing all the tds.

I am so happy the season's back, this is fun!

ID129
Jul 9, 2007
I feel like I should drop Funchess for Micheal. My Roster is as follow in a 12 Team 0.5 PPR League:

QB: Wilson
RB1: Hill
RB2: Miller
WR1: Brown
WR2: Tate
TE: Daniels
Flex: Agholor
K: Parkey
D/ST: Miami
B1: Vereen
B2: Boldin
B3: Funchess
B4: Johnson
IR: Foster

I was hoping Foster would be back before Hill and Millers bye weeks but it isn't looking likely. Stevie Johnson feels like a much better WR lotto ticket than Funchess and some more RB depth would be nice.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I wouldn't recommend anyone drop Funchess for Michael in a vacuum, but with your WRs you might never start him, so why not? If/when a WW stud RB emerges, Foster comes back before anything happens positively for Michael, or you need a bye filler at QB/TE, you can just cut him without consequence. I'd figure that Funchess will end up being the guy you cut to make room for Foster anyway, so you can just treat that spot as open for the time being and fill it with whatever lotto ticket of your choice.

e: fwiw, I think you have a pretty good team, so I think you can afford to gamble more than most

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 8, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

DeepDickPizza posted:

Oh, I've read plenty of your thoughts on injury prognostication and agree with most of them. You're just so drat :smug: about it, that it would amuse me greatly to watch your explanation for why Sam Bradford getting injured again, probably in the same way, is totally, completely just a coincidence, guys.

Well, now you know, so you can be amused without any injuries required. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ FWIW though I can see how I was being :smug: though and I'll try to tone it down - you're right that it's probably not helping actually convince anybody.

quote:

Does tearing an ACL make you more likely to tear it again? Honest question, I don't know. Even if yes, are quarterbacks typically going to be doing things to make you worry about reinjury, or is it more or less a freak occurrence and the increased risk is basically negligible in practice? Of all the serious injuries, to me an ACL tear (or two ) in a QB seem much less worrying than whatever Arian Foster did or what Victor Cruz did, ya know?

As mentioned already by Dandy Kaiser, reconstructed ACLs are actually stronger and have more "give" than native ACLs - they're less likely to be hurt again by the same motion that tore it in the first place. In contrast, a reconstructed ACL actually increases the risk to the ACL in the opposite leg, due to compensatory behavior that causes poor technique. The changes to the risks of each leg pretty much balance out across most people.

Two tears to the same ACL could certainly be an indicator of naturally poor technique or biomechanics, but both of Bradford's tears were contact injuries (he was in the process of being tackled) rather than noncontact injuries in the open field (like Jordy Nelson this year), where that the ACL would have torn for most people subjected to the same forces anyways. Performance decrease is also always a worry, but the surgeries and rehabs are good enough now that Maclin and JCharles and Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore etc don't seem to show any ill effects at all. Quarterbacks have also been pretty successful in bouncing back without major decrement to their throwing technique, including Rivers and Brady, though RG3 certainly wasn't the same after his ACL injury so there's reason for pause (though in my estimation, his problem is probably more mental and a consequence of dysfunctional coaching, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ACL tear precipitated some of those mental issues).

And finally, as mentioned by Metapod, even if you look at this information and decided that there is a slightly elevated risk of injury or performance decrease (which is certainly plausible), it's not really a reason to bump him down much, because his expected value per game is relatively unchanged and if he does get injured he is easy to replace with Sanchize.

quote:

So the best case realistic scenario here is that Zenner gets to be part of a committee on the Lions? Even if he gets the job, the Lions don't like to call runs (bottom 7 in run/pass play call ratio last year), when they do they are not very effective (29th in rushing y/a), and they don't score a ton of rushing TD's either to make up for it (tied for 17th). I don't understand where the upside is coming from here.

Yeah that's actually a pretty reasonable description of Zenner's upside. To say it another way, if Joique gets hurt or is ineffective, Zenner's upside is Joique. That's why I'd rather have Zo (whose injury upside is Forsett) or Khiry (whose injury upside is Ingram) or Ronnie (whose injury upside is CJA). edit: also those poor rushing stats are Joique's fault. Reggie broke a thousand rushing yards (and 500 receiving yards) one year previous.

But CMichael isn't a significant improvement over Zenner. It seems like people want to think that CMichael's upside is Demarco Murray. I find it much more likely that his upside is 2014 Crowell or TWest - other guys in a high-volume run game behind a great offensive line with an org that emphasized the hot hand. I don't really see a scenario for Michael that doesn't end with a timeshare. Even if BOTH DMC and Randle get hurt, he'd still timeshare with Dunbar in a Hill/Gio type arrangement, and if Dunbar got hurt too or was ineffective, they'd sign somebody else. Both Crowell and TWest were worth rostering last year (and, at times, even starting if you had some serious cojones), but they weren't Demarco.

edit: to clarify, I'm fine with either as a lotto ticket, and have picked up shares of both in one dynasty league.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 8, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

You nerds were saying to drop actual, useful players for Zach Zenner before he was a lock to make the 53, Reggie Wayne who is dead and Brandon LaFell, who is also dead and you're telling people to not pick up Christine Michael. Shameful.

Because they trusted him so much in SEA that he carried the rock a whopping 52 times in two seasons, in mostly mop-up duty. Not only did he have fumbling and consistency issues, but he's entering the hottest of hot mess RBBCs. I think he's fine to pickup in 12+ teamers but really if you drafted depth well then you would have more enticing options at the tail end of your RB stable such as Duke, David Johnson, DMC.

Nothing kills RB chances more than fumbling and protection issues. If he somehow fixes those problems overnight, DAL will run him ragged and he could see elite production, but what's to suggest those problems were fixed when he just got traded for a 7th round conditional? When you take into consideration all the risk variables that put a real cap on his fantasy production, you would essentially need injuries to all three guys ahead of him before he becomes fantasy relevant.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

VDay posted:

CAR, MIA, KC, MIN are worthwhile options.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I feel all those same things, aside from being jettisoned cheaply by a team that spent a top-100 pick, were also true about McKinnon last year but talent eventually won out (relatively at least since Asiata just kept loving plodding along for a 2.8 YPC)

I really don't have particularly high hopes, but sometimes fantasy relevance is just when talent meets opportunity, and this is not only the best opportunity he's had, but he's going to a team where he's arguably the most (admittedly raw) talented back on the team, and it's not very often that the cream doesn't rise to the top in a murky RBBC. If Randle is ineffective (non unlikely) and/or McFadden gets hurt (also not unlikely) he could see himself in a situation where he's getting reps out of necessity, and if he can turn that into steady production, that team around him could turn him into a stud overnight.

Again, not saying that it's a lock or anything, but as far as lotto tickets go, you can definitely do worse

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 8, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Yeah but it's getting to the fever-pitch point where people are considering dumping more fantasy-relevant players for a lotto ticket.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Basically DAL should have picked up FJax instead.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Suave Fedora posted:

Yeah but it's getting to the fever-pitch point where people are considering dumping more fantasy-relevant players for a lotto ticket.

Yeah, this should go without saying. Don't do this. Lotto tickets are just that, they are not a suitable replacement for depth.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I feel all those same things, aside from being jettisoned cheaply by a team that spent a top-100 pick, were also true about McKinnon last year but talent eventually won out (relatively at least since Asiata just kept loving plodding along for a 2.8 YPC)

I really don't have particularly high hopes, but sometimes fantasy relevance is just when talent meets opportunity, and this is not only the best opportunity he's had, but he's going to a team where he's arguably the most (admittedly raw) talented back on the team, and it's not very often that the cream doesn't rise to the top in a murky RBBC. If Randle is ineffective (non unlikely) and/or McFadden gets hurt (also not unlikely) he could see himself in a situation where he's getting reps out of necessity, and if he can turn that into steady production, that team around him could turn him into a stud overnight.

Again, not saying that it's a lock or anything, but as far as lotto tickets go, you can definitely do worse

McKinnon is actually a pretty good example: a SPARQ stud that was a bit raw, especially in protection, and as a consequence never really grabbed passing down duties from Asiata. The plodder also took all of the red zone carries because he was considered the more reliable short-yardage back: McKinnon finished the year with zero touchdowns, while Asiata had ten. As an early McKinnon advocate I was glad to get a pair of 100-yard games out of him, but AP he was not.

I'd be interested in hearing the case against Randle, though. I was actually really impressed with his carries last year. Underwear banditry aside, what's the case against the guy?

In a vacuum, I'd also say that it's likely that DMC is the most talented back on the team. 4th overall pick, immense measureables, solid production as a starter for two years before Oakland switched to a zone-blocking scheme that made him move laterally more, and good build. Even I don't think he'll stay healthy though (this seems like an appropriate use of the injury prone label), and there's a chance he could already be over the hill - though only 28, this is his eighth season.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

My understanding on Randle, from a guy who's last watched Cowboys game was the Vikings playoff game like 6 years ago, is that he's barely above JAG and his gaudy YPC is mainly due to road-graders and facing worked over defenses mid-game after DeMarco had his way with them; then he follows up being handed the keys by having a lackluster camp and being outperformed by a retread (with pedigree, albeit). I'm still one of the few who think that if you had him at a 9th+ round keeper, it still doesn't look like a bad play to me, and I still believe that he's got the inside track to mid-to-low RB2 numbers, but all accounts seem to show that he's throwing it down the tubes.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
edit: asking in the proper thread, trimming this one so my image doesn't make the page longer.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 8, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
^ we have a Rate My Team thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736579

You have to believe that most teams would prefer to have bellcow backs that can do it all consistently and fit the scheme of the team. When they don't, they deploy RBBC out of perceived need.

Even Belichick who is the most notorious RBBC thug, made an RB1 out of Lawfirm in 2010 and got 1k yards, 13 TDs out of him because he didn't turn the ball over (turnover ratio being one of the stronger predictors of winning games) and protected his golden boy.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Man, the amount of garbage trades that get proposed to you before the season starts. In a friend's league (where Bridgewater is my starting QB) I had the following trades proposed to me by the same guy:

I give:

Charles Johnson
Markus Wheaton

I get:

Philip Rivers

another one:

I give: Stevie Johnson

I get: Darren Sproles

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Dandy Kaiser posted:

My understanding on Randle, from a guy who's last watched Cowboys game was the Vikings playoff game like 6 years ago, is that he's barely above JAG and his gaudy YPC is mainly due to road-graders and facing worked over defenses mid-game after DeMarco had his way with them; then he follows up being handed the keys by having a lackluster camp and being outperformed by a retread (with pedigree, albeit). I'm still one of the few who think that if you had him at a 9th+ round keeper, it still doesn't look like a bad play to me, and I still believe that he's got the inside track to mid-to-low RB2 numbers, but all accounts seem to show that he's throwing it down the tubes.

I'm not sure I know quite what Randle is yet. His scouting reports from the Dallas press back when he was drafted said he was a "slower Demarco" with a 40-time that really scared people (this article mentions Stacy and LMurray as better fits in the same draft) but an almost clone-like build and running style. This year, he actually had a pretty good camp before getting injured. One beat reporter said a thing that sent everybody into a tizzy: "Joseph Randle is a blur hitting the holes. He may have spoken out of turn with the "meat on the bone" comment. But was not off base in thinking he will rip off more big gainers than DeMarco Murray behind the Cowboys offensive line. He certainly gets the line of scrimmage and into the secondary much faster than Murray."

I think Football Outsiders probably has the right take here: "The Cowboys are built to make ordinary running backs look good and very good running backs Offensive Players of the Year. A lot was made about the whole DeMarco Murray "Meat on the Bone" talk. I think our stats divided up the credit for Murray's season well: the Cowboys ranked first in adjusted line yards, but Murray led the league in DYAR. It's not too much of a stretch to say the line can give any decent NFL running back the first 1,000 yards and the rest is up to him."

I read through some other local reports from this year but didn't really learn much about Randle that we don't already know, and instead came out of the exercise somehow convinced that Cole Beasley could have a big year if TWill gets hurt. I gotta learn to stop listening to beat reporter hype.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Cole Beasley is my WR to watch this season, I honestly believe that he could take WR2 from Williams before the season is over. I remember reading either a 4for4/FO/FBG article about how he was on a similar usage/measurables/opportunity track to some guys that have broken out before him. I don't own any shares yet, but first big game I am pouncing wherever I have the roster space.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

It was uncanny - every article I pulled up looking for Randle's practice notes instead was full of everybody gushing about how uncoverable Cole Beasley has been all summer.

I wasn't even aware there was a Cole Beasley hype train until this morning and it is clearly already out of hand.

Who am I kidding, just added him to my watch lists

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If there's a Cole Beasley hype train, I'm the conductor. I fully believe he's got a legitimate shot to be the #1 fantasy UDFA WR this season

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Suave Fedora posted:

Because they trusted him so much in SEA that he carried the rock a whopping 52 times in two seasons, in mostly mop-up duty. Not only did he have fumbling and consistency issues, but he's entering the hottest of hot mess RBBCs. I think he's fine to pickup in 12+ teamers but really if you drafted depth well then you would have more enticing options at the tail end of your RB stable such as Duke, David Johnson, DMC.

Nothing kills RB chances more than fumbling and protection issues. If he somehow fixes those problems overnight, DAL will run him ragged and he could see elite production, but what's to suggest those problems were fixed when he just got traded for a 7th round conditional? When you take into consideration all the risk variables that put a real cap on his fantasy production, you would essentially need injuries to all three guys ahead of him before he becomes fantasy relevant.

All those players I mentioned are junk bonds being couched as lottery tickets is my point, but a hard line is being drawn at Christine Michael.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Who the gently caress are some of these people I drafted

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Any thoughts on Andre Johnson in Indianapolis? I snagged him as a flex at the end of the third round. Looking back I could have had Maclin or DeVante Adams instead. I'm hoping I didn't get sucked into name hype on draft day.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

ZIGfried posted:

Any thoughts on Andre Johnson in Indianapolis? I snagged him as a flex at the end of the third round. Looking back I could have had Maclin or DeVante Adams instead. I'm hoping I didn't get sucked into name hype on draft day.

I think TY Hilton is the clear cut top receiver in Indy --- but it's Andrew Luck at the helm. THere will be a lot of passes, and many of them will be targeted to Andre Johnson. As long as he's not hurt, he'll get good action.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

VDay posted:

https://empeopled.com/p/63409

Top 10:
Carolina, 10.6 – 1 (high floor)
Seattle, 9.1 – 1
Miami, 8.6 - 1
Tampa Bay, 8.2 – 1.5
Houston, 7.6 - 2
NY Jets, 7.6 – 2 (high floor)
Indianapolis, 7.3 - 2 (high variance)
Cleveland, 6.9 – 2.5
Minnesota, 6.7 – 2.5 (high floor)
Green Bay, 6.6 – 2.5 (high variance)

FWIW, I targeted the Jets for week 1, because they're 1) At home, 2) Playing against the Browns and 3) The game has the lowest over/under out of all of the games in week 1.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 8, 2015

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

ZIGfried posted:

As a Houston fan, I truly believe his numbers were down last year mostly because of our QB situation, but also because he didn't want to be here. He wanted to be traded and play in a Super Bowl before he retires. He couldn't have found a better spot to land than in Indy. All of the reports from training camp are glowing, that he is the possession receiver and Luck's safety net. If he can't hit Hilton downfield, he's going to throw to Johnson. A lot. I'm owning him in every league I'm in.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Just got offered Mike Evans for my Crowell in a full PPR, mash accept NOW, right?!

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Unless you're starting OBJ, Brown and Julio, do it. Even if you are starting those three, do it.

Football in two days boys. I'm half convincing myself to pick up Heath Miller over Eifert so i have something to yell at the tv on Thursday.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

All those players I mentioned are junk bonds being couched as lottery tickets is my point, but a hard line is being drawn at Christine Michael.

Looks like I misread your point. Now I get what you're saying, that the commentary hasn't been consistent. Either way, I pitch my tent in the camp that valued none of those bastards and had even dropped Lafell (for Stevie) a week before he was PUPped.

I did like your Sudfield reference.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Suave Fedora posted:

I did like your Sudfield reference.
David Wilson died for your sins.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Cole Beasley hype train continues.....do I go with the goon hive-mind and drop Marvin Jones for him?

e: gently caress David Wilson

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Yeah, this should go without saying. Don't do this. Lotto tickets are just that, they are not a suitable replacement for depth.

IMO, depth is not very important in fantasy football. You get your best bunch of starters and then you get some high risk, high upside guys on your bench. That's why people chase the lottery ticket. That's why I'd rather take a chance on someone like OBJ than keep someone like Dwayne Bowe on my bench for depth. Or, to make it current, I'd rather have Hillman on my bench than someone like Woodhead.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010
What does everyone think of this proposed trade? Is it a steal?

Giving: Anquan Boldin (Picked in 10)
Receiving: Arian Foster (Picked in 5)

0.5ppr, 10 team, he needs a receiver. I have Le'Veon Bell, Justin Forsett, Ameer Abdullah, and DMC, but I have a decent WR corps of Randall Cobb, Deandre Hopkins, Mike Evans, and sleepers like Charles/Stevie Johnson so I am not very hard pressed to keep Anquan, and will see if Charles or Stevie blow up later in the season.

I am looking for a 3rd solid RB. There is some implied risk with reinjury and missing 5-7 weeks, but I am hoping Foster will carry me in the late regular season and to the championships, most likely as a Flex.

If it's good, I guess we will see if people try to vote against it over the next two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
This is the bench right now in one of my 10-man leagues. Trying to figure out if anyone should be considered droppable for some of the lottery ticket RBs out there.

It's 0.5 PPR, 2 point bonus for a 40 yd Rushing or Receiving TD, .03 per kick return yard, .06 per punt return yard

CJ Spiller
Allen Robinson
Steve Smith Sr.
Marques Colston
Devonta Freeman
Markus Wheaton
Knile Davis

I bolded the players I picked up because I feel they may see touches in addition to being listed on the special teams depth charts for kick and or punt returns. A Brown is listed as the punt returner, but Wheaton is listed 1 for kick returns and 2 for punt returns. I was thinking given how pivotal A Brown is they might shift all return duties to Wheaton to reduce his injury exposure. Are any of those players worth dropping for a high-upside high-risk RB?

• Locked thread