Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

It's especially bad with a bunch of beagles because barking for them is like herding for stock dogs. It's part of how they communicate when they hunt and that's what they're bred for. It's funny and sad watching Wilfred when he spots something because he knows he's not supposed to bark and he's a good dog so he tries to hold it in but sometimes it's just really important and the barks eventually bubble out and in between barks he's extremely apologetic. If you speak his language he's got distinctive barks for rabbits, snakes, dogs, the mailman and the UPS man (suburban big game), but unfortunately to the uninitiated it all just sounds like barking

Hah, our dalmatian is like this which is weird i guess considering they're not hunting dogs at all. I've met dalmatians who rarely bark at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Ever since we moved my one dog has a vendetta against moving trucks. This is problematic since we live in military base housing so there are moving trucks driving past our house fairly often.

We've already decided he's going to spend the day at daycare next move instead of putting him in the yard while he helplessly watches strange men take all of our things away. Doesn't matter the same strange men put our things back a week later in our new house, they took them dammit and now all trucks are potentially full of evil things-stealing men and must be barked at.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Here's a stupid question about crating together or separate:

I have a 2+ year old cairn mix and a 1+ year old Scottie mix. We crate train and they have a good relationship.

Could we crate them together if we get a decent sized crate? They play fight like terriers, but know when to back off. My fiancé and I think it might help the younger one when we leave the house.

The Internet is largely unhelpful when looking into it. Thoughts?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

McStephenson posted:

Here's a stupid question about crating together or separate:

I have a 2+ year old cairn mix and a 1+ year old Scottie mix. We crate train and they have a good relationship.

Could we crate them together if we get a decent sized crate? They play fight like terriers, but know when to back off. My fiancé and I think it might help the younger one when we leave the house.

The Internet is largely unhelpful when looking into it. Thoughts?

I don't crate but in my opinion it's a bad idea. Being in a crate together makes it really hard for one to back off should their playing get too intense.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't crate but in my opinion it's a bad idea. Being in a crate together makes it really hard for one to back off should their playing get too intense.

I guess I should have added this, but with anything crates they are very calm. They actually both go into the same crate sometimes (for one dog, mind you) and the other doesn't seem to care, which is hilarious.

We have had the older one for a year and a half and the younger one for about 5 months for reference, so we have a decent read on how they act/interact.

E: I promise I'm not doing that whole "just tell me yes" thing, I just wanted to add a bit of information. The younger one just acts like he's dying when we leave and thought maybe co-crating could help :shobon:

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 7, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I think you should look into training exercises for separation anxiety. Based on everything I've read and heard from a trainer, your puppy will most likely be just as miserable, just in company. Separation anxiety can rarely if ever be fixed without training.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I've had Cooper almost 6 weeks now. He's been an awesome pup. Very friendly, shockingly relaxed, and easy to train. I haven't ponied up for a DNA test just yet, but was wondering if anyone had an idea of what he might be mixed with? Obviously a lot of lab there, but his hair definitely isn't lab.

His hair is up to 2 - 3 inches long across the top of his back. He doesn't shed hardly at all, and has a docked tail. His paws are very large and webbed, but he is nearly 7 months old and weighs 52lbs, so I'm guessing hes not going to be particularly large.

Unfortunately I don't have many great pictures of him standing. He naturally sits and lays down when he's not actively moving. Its kind of bizzare but awesome.

This is a picture of his sister. She was adopted by the same rescue.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Lab/border collie maybe?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Thing2 joins her brother in our home about 1.5 years later. The breeder had planned to show and breed her, but changed her mind last month and offered her to us. Once her coat grows back out, we're gonna have to look hard to tell them apart.

Thing1:

Thing2:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

McStephenson posted:

I guess I should have added this, but with anything crates they are very calm. They actually both go into the same crate sometimes (for one dog, mind you) and the other doesn't seem to care, which is hilarious.

We have had the older one for a year and a half and the younger one for about 5 months for reference, so we have a decent read on how they act/interact.

E: I promise I'm not doing that whole "just tell me yes" thing, I just wanted to add a bit of information. The younger one just acts like he's dying when we leave and thought maybe co-crating could help :shobon:

I've seen posts on the Facebook dog groups I post in where people have come home to find their co-crated dogs have injured each other. Whether it's a play fight that gets out of hand or anxiety or whatever I think leaving dogs co-crated is too risky. If one of them did get hurt they'd have no way of protecting themselves and I imagine it would be an incredibly high-stress situation for both animals. I realise it's something that might never happen but if it only happened once in the animal's lifetime I know that, personally, I'd never stop blaming myself for allowing it to happen.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
No matter how docile or friendly your dogs act when you're around, shutting them in a crate with no chance to back up or leave the situation should their playing get too intense is a bad idea. Dogs bicker and quarrel like little children now and then, it's just in their nature. Both need their own private spots where they can go to just chill where they won't be disturbed.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I think I might have a problem... Meet Ozara my 3rd (Yes 3rd) Tibetan Mastiff...

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
My corgi puppy is six months old next week, and I am proud to report that he is no longer a picky eater, is approaching a good target weight, is well socialized with babies, kids, adults, and other dogs, and is FINALLY starting to be more affectionate towards us (in the ways I expect affection).

He is such an independent spirit, and we were getting worried because he just showed no signs of wanting to snuggle on the couch, or do anything but play tug or chase. It's like he used to play around us, but never with us, if that makes sense. He also seemed so much more interested in other people than us - we felt like we were putting in so much work but not getting much out of it! In the past couple of weeks, though, he's really been coming around, and we're enjoying him more and more.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sirbloody posted:

I think I might have a problem... Meet Ozara my 3rd (Yes 3rd) Tibetan Mastiff...

RIP ur dog food bills. Also anything that sets foot on your property uninvited.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sirbloody posted:

Your dogs are all going to bond to each other and turn into a murder squad for the ups dude. :stare:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Sirbloody posted:

:cripes:

so whats your plan for dealing with same sex aggression

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Triangulum posted:

:cripes:

so whats your plan for dealing with same sex aggression

That's going to be hard but I am not sure how the dogs will handle it just yet. Dr. Wilson is 5 but neutered Kitty is 11 Months old and really laid back. I will have Ozara next week so we shall see how it goes.

I am tempted to make them special vests for their murder squad they are bound to set up.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
you do know that spaying/neutering has little to no effect on SSA and actually tends to increase bitches aggressiveness across the board yeah?

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Triangulum posted:

you do know that spaying/neutering has little to no effect on SSA and actually tends to increase bitches aggressiveness across the board yeah?

Yup, and Kitty & Ozara will not be spayed. Kitty is signed up for her first show in November and Ozara will be shortly after when she hits 6 months.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
it honestly is loving mind boggling that you bought three dogs in less than a year and did so before your first dog even hit maturity. has kitty even had her first heat yet?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Those bitches are going to kill each other over your male dog. Try not to get caught in the middle when they do. I suggest fleeing the property and never returning when that inevitably goes down.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Lmao what a terrible series of decisions.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Sirbloody posted:

Yup, and Kitty & Ozara will not be spayed. Kitty is signed up for her first show in November and Ozara will be shortly after when she hits 6 months.

lmao so you're keeping two unspayed bitches of a breed known for high levels of aggression and same sex aggression

and you have zero plans in place for dealing with the inevitable shitshow when your new dog goes into heat and they start competing over the male

youre bitches are going to fuckin kill each other,, try not to get killed in the process

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Wait, spaying can make lady dogs grumpier? That would explain a lot with ours >.< (though it's actually preferable to her being in heat, dear god.)

Edited because this is a thank you to Fluffy Bunnies and Triangulum below for the info - I knew it was mostly about removing possibility of litters, and uterine cancers etc but hadn't realised the lack of lady hormones could cause extra grump, sort of thought it'd be like humans where you remove stuff and it doesn't significantly change you - we spayed our dog because she was 9(ish) and went into heat when we got her and it was horrible for everyone...

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 8, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kluliss posted:

Wait, spaying can make lady dogs grumpier? That would explain a lot with ours >.< (though it's actually preferable to her being in heat, dear god.)

Spaying is often treated like a fix-all when really all it does is eliminate a hormone, eliminate 99% of your chance of uterine cancer (there's still stump cancer but it is INSANELY rare) and all chance of ovarian cancer. And you know, full pyometra. Again, there's still stump pyometra. I had a bitch that was spayed early on and she got breast cancer and died from it in her old age. Spaying may calm some bitches down, but mostly you spay to eliminate what I listed up there, and accidental litters.

There's a hell of a lot of pros and cons to spaying and neutering and pretty much all you ever hear are the actual pros, some mythological pros, and a whole lot of "responsible pet owners spay/neuter!" bullshit from rescues that are flooded by dickheads who actually lack responsibility and believe it's The Only Way.

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
So I'm hoping for some suggestion from more experienced trainers here.

Some pages ago I mentioned I wanted to buy my parents a Borzoi. In the end I talked with them about it (it was going to be a surprise but I figured that was a bad choice) and they were super intrigued by the idea. Case in point we now have a 5 month old Borzoi with us! :3: (we got him at 1 month). Please meet the beautiful Mikhail:

He's the sweetest dog, but considering his size he's sometimes a bit hard to handle. He just overpowers you, especially when trying to walk him. He pulls like crazy and it's hard to control him. Luckily he's not looking into running away, he just wants to go where he wants to go.

Right now we have him trained with a whistle to come back. So if he runs we call him and he comes back immediately, but I would like to walk him without him pulling so much.

Is it common for a young dog to be this way? I'm thinking maybe I'm expecting too much since he looks like a grown up dog when he's still basically a puppy. Any suggestions for walking a big dog? We may get him a trainer also since my parents want to make sure he's trained properly...

Also, we're having issues getting him accustomed to do his business outside. We've even walked him for a full hour after eating and he still pees and poops once we get inside :lol: it's a bit frustrating... I've never seen an animal pee as much as him!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Kluliss posted:

there have been a couple studies done on the temperamental effects of spaying & neutering (tho not many) and yeah, bitches tended to get more aggressive especially towards other dogs

hell, my girls are the softest, chillest, dopiest GSDs ever and I've still had to peel them off of each others faces a few times and have to watch their interactions very closely to avoid further fights. and what do you know, every. single. fight. has been over my male. my most SSA girl is so lazy she might as well be a rug with legs but she'll still gently caress a bitch up if left to her own devices. how a dog behaves with people and it's energy level is not an indication of how she'll be with other dogs, ESPECIALLY if the dog in question is not even sexually mature yet

getting muliple giant breed dogs of the same sex with a huge tendency towards all sorts of aggression without a good kennel setup or even a loving plan for how to deal with their aggression is borderline suicidal

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ginny posted:

So I'm hoping for some suggestion from more experienced trainers here.

Some pages ago I mentioned I wanted to buy my parents a Borzoi. In the end I talked with them about it (it was going to be a surprise but I figured that was a bad choice) and they were super intrigued by the idea. Case in point we now have a 5 month old Borzoi with us! :3: (we got him at 1 month). Please meet the beautiful Mikhail:

He's the sweetest dog, but considering his size he's sometimes a bit hard to handle. He just overpowers you, especially when trying to walk him. He pulls like crazy and it's hard to control him. Luckily he's not looking into running away, he just wants to go where he wants to go.

Right now we have him trained with a whistle to come back. So if he runs we call him and he comes back immediately, but I would like to walk him without him pulling so much.

Is it common for a young dog to be this way? I'm thinking maybe I'm expecting too much since he looks like a grown up dog when he's still basically a puppy. Any suggestions for walking a big dog? We may get him a trainer also since my parents want to make sure he's trained properly...

Also, we're having issues getting him accustomed to do his business outside. We've even walked him for a full hour after eating and he still pees and poops once we get inside :lol: it's a bit frustrating... I've never seen an animal pee as much as him!

Basically you just need to reward good behaviour and ignore bad behaviour.

First thing you need to do is teach him to come to you, sit, lay down and stay. Those are essential and should be taught to every dog.

As for walking, every time your dog pulls the leash, stop. Make him come to you and sit. Tell him to follow, and if he pulls, make him stop, come to you and repeat. Reward him with treats every time he walks next to you nicely with the leash hanging loose. You should treat every walk until he knows how to do this until you give him permission to stop as training walks.

With the business side of things, basically reward him with treats or praises every time he does his business outside. Ignore him when he does it inside.

Take him out for a walk every 1-2 hours (if you can't do it this often, then as often as you can), but especially right after he wakes up or eats. Walk until he does his business and then reward and praise him. If he doesn't, go back inside and try again 30 minutes later. Don't be discouraged by setbacks, it takes a while for them to learn but all dogs eventually do.

ps he looks lovely :3:

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 8, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

"responsible pet owners spay/neuter!" bullshit from rescues that are flooded by dickheads who actually lack responsibility and believe it's The Only Way.

Well when you have a rescue/shelter with a ton of chihuahuas, pits, and boxers from ghetto backyards can you really blame them? Add to that hardly anyone can have a pit or boxer unless they own a home

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Responsible owners don't let their dogs gently caress their way around the neighbourhood and produce unwanted puppies that end up in a shelter or dead, that much is true. No spaying/neutering necessarily required but it does make it easier.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Well when you have a rescue/shelter with a ton of chihuahuas, pits, and boxers from ghetto backyards can you really blame them? Add to that hardly anyone can have a pit or boxer unless they own a home

I think we are going to go all pit all the time. We've started putting Worf in doggie daycare a couple days a week to burn off his energy and between that and all the training, he's just become the dopiest, cutest cuddler of them all. Sometimes he is too stupid to live, but that's half of why he's cute.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess I'm just saying you can argue the pros/cons all day but easier to make a blanket statement that you should as to not dissuade anyone. Also the county here subsidizes getting pets fixed I think if they're any of the above breeds. Well, they get priority at least

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I think we are going to go all pit all the time. We've started putting Worf in doggie daycare a couple days a week to burn off his energy and between that and all the training, he's just become the dopiest, cutest cuddler of them all. Sometimes he is too stupid to live, but that's half of why he's cute.

you take your pit to daycare

wtf has happened to PI

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I did some googling and couldn't find anything to answer my question, which is, why do dogs like their chests/sides slapped? My dogs get all happy and excited.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

feels good man

(really, that's all it is)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

feels good man

(really, that's all it is)

dogs are weird

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Superconsndar posted:

you take your pit to daycare

wtf has happened to PI

Yeah. The daycare is run by a professional dog trainer who supervises all interactions between the dogs. It was she who recommended we do it, actually. During the training classes she said that he was simply overly energetic and a few hours of play with other puppies would sort him out. And it absolutely does. He's calm all the time, he and Thor get along great, he's friendly with other dogs and always lets them approach him and only plays with dogs who initiate play with him. He's shown no signs of aggression, and is exceedingly gentle when he plays.

I'm starting to think that a lot of the "common wisdom" about what to do with pits is shellshocked owners who've been hosed over by breed-specific legislation. Where we live, there's no such laws. When we go to the dog park, all we hear from everyone else there is how cute Worf is. Everyone wants to play with him. We have not seen a single person act edgy or get nervous around him. The trainer tells us similar things about how he's doing at daycare. We trust the trainer, as she has 3 pits of her own that are all extremely well behaved and sociable with other dogs. She's an expert, and I'm going to take that advice over overly-anxious internet advice that boils down to "never take your pit outside or around people or around dogs or to anywhere ever or someone will call animal control and they'll murder your dog." There's like 4 other pit-owning families in our condo complex and they're all the chillest loving dogs on earth. By contrast our neighbor's puggles have a horrible reputation around the neighborhood because they chase people and bite at ankles and poo poo.

All my nervousness with Worf went away when I realized how hyperbolic all the internet information about pits is. I wouldn't recommend them to just anybody, because it's still absolutely a lot of work to give him sufficient exercise and to train him every day, but the fruit of that is he comes when called off leash no matter how excited he is about whatever he's doing, he's never aggressive toward other dogs, and he mostly doesn't pull at the leash anymore. Our last hurdle is just to get him to stop eating grass, because he made himself really sick doing that but he just loves to do it and it's a difficult behavior to divert because he mostly does it on walks and mostly just suddenly grabs a mouthful when it looks like he's sniffing for a place to pee.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Doesn't seem like many do it. I always do it to dogs but have to keep in mind not everyone does and they think I might be hitting their dog, hah.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah. The daycare is run by a professional dog trainer who supervises all interactions between the dogs. It was she who recommended we do it, actually. During the training classes she said that he was simply overly energetic and a few hours of play with other puppies would sort him out. And it absolutely does. He's calm all the time, he and Thor get along great, he's friendly with other dogs and always lets them approach him and only plays with dogs who initiate play with him. He's shown no signs of aggression, and is exceedingly gentle when he plays.

I'm starting to think that a lot of the "common wisdom" about what to do with pits is shellshocked owners who've been hosed over by breed-specific legislation. Where we live, there's no such laws. When we go to the dog park, all we hear from everyone else there is how cute Worf is. Everyone wants to play with him. We have not seen a single person act edgy or get nervous around him. The trainer tells us similar things about how he's doing at daycare. We trust the trainer, as she has 3 pits of her own that are all extremely well behaved and sociable with other dogs. She's an expert, and I'm going to take that advice over overly-anxious internet advice that boils down to "never take your pit outside or around people or around dogs or to anywhere ever or someone will call animal control and they'll murder your dog." There's like 4 other pit-owning families in our condo complex and they're all the chillest loving dogs on earth. By contrast our neighbor's puggles have a horrible reputation around the neighborhood because they chase people and bite at ankles and poo poo.

All my nervousness with Worf went away when I realized how hyperbolic all the internet information about pits is. I wouldn't recommend them to just anybody, because it's still absolutely a lot of work to give him sufficient exercise and to train him every day, but the fruit of that is he comes when called off leash no matter how excited he is about whatever he's doing, he's never aggressive toward other dogs, and he mostly doesn't pull at the leash anymore. Our last hurdle is just to get him to stop eating grass, because he made himself really sick doing that but he just loves to do it and it's a difficult behavior to divert because he mostly does it on walks and mostly just suddenly grabs a mouthful when it looks like he's sniffing for a place to pee.

Someone hold me please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i have the vapors