Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Polsy posted:

Yeah, much like Steiner Stealth that's neither the official or literal track name, not sure where some of these are from.

It's worth pointing out that there are spoilers in the soundtrack's track names so if you haven't played the game before, you probably shouldn't dig too deep there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks, my bad

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chocobo H&C is a lot like stealing in that it doesn't get you anything that you can't get somewhere else, though a lot of the stuff you get is really really good poo poo several leaps ahead of the game's curve.

The more important thing is that upgrading your chocobo tends to get you to places a fair bit earlier than you would otherwise, too. Nothing sequence breaky, but still worth noting.

SgCloud
Oct 30, 2011
Is it actually possible to get all the treasured on the map without finding the corresponding clues?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

SgCloud posted:

Is it actually possible to get all the treasured on the map without finding the corresponding clues?

Nope! The game won't let you dig up the treasures unless you are specifically looking for it, via use of the Chocographs.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Chocobo treasure mini spoiler: There are treasures to be found that, while not using the chocographs specifically, do require Choco with another item.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Chocobo H&C is a lot like stealing in that it doesn't get you anything that you can't get somewhere else, though a lot of the stuff you get is really really good poo poo several leaps ahead of the game's curve.

The more important thing is that upgrading your chocobo tends to get you to places a fair bit earlier than you would otherwise, too. Nothing sequence breaky, but still worth noting.

That's not quite true, a lot of the later equipment is unique to H&C. A couple of them even teach abilities you more or less can't get anywhere else realistically.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Chocobo Hot and Cold is brilliant. It's fun, gives you a ton of great treasure, and Choco is the best Chocobo.

KataraniSword posted:

Apparently in some earlier copies there's a ridiculously sequence-breaky thing that can happen. Breaks a bunch of events too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
KWEH!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Truly the best minigame even if the precision is terrible. And I believe the stone does indeed reference FF VI Deathgaze. The same encounter design also comes up in FFX with Evrae.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't get it consistently, but I've hit the eight item limit a few times. Mene will tell you to stop so that he doesn't go bankrupt and give you some kind of bonus.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I never knew about the 8 item limit before this; never even knew that 4 got you some extra time and bonus points. I have never managed to get that many items in a single run before. 3's generally the most I could manage and even that was absurdly rare, because RNGs just outright hate me.

TravelLog posted:

And I believe the stone does indeed reference FF VI Deathgaze.

As already mentioned, it's referring to Ozma in this game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
At a certain point, I can hit the 8-item limit consistently, and then it becomes a challenge to see how quickly I can hit the limit. You get really nice bonuses if you hit the limit with a lot of time left. It's really the only way to go for the better prizes while staying sane.

CH&C is the best.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Dragonatrix posted:

Something can be a reference and also foreshadowing.

These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You're both wrong. It's a reference to Altair from Bahamut Lagoon. It's a terrifying place reached through a hole in the sky.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's clearly a reference to Penance in FFX. :v:

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009
More like a reference for the upcoming cinematic experience Interstellar.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Meh. I did CH&C. I didn't like it. And yeah, I got everything.

Also: It is, always has been, and always shall be, Wark!, not this Kweh! crap. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I did Chocobo Hot and Cold as well... I don't really remember if I considered it fun in and of itself, but I did enjoy all the upgrades I got from doing it. Plus the fight with Ozma was pretty fun.

Also, Vamo Alla Flamenco's pretty good, but it's not my favorite track from the game. We won't get to that one for awhile.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Dragonatrix posted:

I never knew about the 8 item limit before this; never even knew that 4 got you some extra time and bonus points. I have never managed to get that many items in a single run before. 3's generally the most I could manage and even that was absurdly rare, because RNGs just outright hate me.

I didn't want to mention that because of spoilers, but yes it is both a reference and foreshadowing.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

W.T. Fits posted:

I did Chocobo Hot and Cold as well... I don't really remember if I considered it fun in and of itself, but I did enjoy all the upgrades I got from doing it. Plus the fight with Ozma was pretty fun.

Also, Vamo Alla Flamenco's pretty good, but it's not my favorite track from the game. We won't get to that one for awhile.

Is it that one-time only track near the end of disc 3? You know the one. I love that one.

Come to think of it, there's also another amazing one-time track near the START of disc 3.

Why are the best tracks one-time only? Ah well, at least there's YouTube these days.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Why are the best tracks one-time only?

because that's what happens when you write music for situations and not just generic music to be reused later

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the way Ragtimer encounters work is that if you take a certain number of steps in a forest without running into a normal encounter, you get a Ragtimer encounter. Normally this would be mostly random, but as Mega alluded to there's a trick. If you lightly tap the d-pad so that Zidane doesn't do a full step animation, the random encounter check never happens, but the step counter for Ragtimer still increments. This trick can be used to force an encounter with almost 100% accuracy, although which forests you can encounter it in also depends on your plot progress. This trick is also used by speed runners.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The trick I've seen tends to involve standing in the exact middle of a forest and moving slightly so that the next encounter triggers while you're in the exact middle.

When I used that, it was more often than not the Ragtimer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the way Ragtimer encounters work is that if you take a certain number of steps in a forest without running into a normal encounter, you get a Ragtimer encounter. Normally this would be mostly random, but as Mega alluded to there's a trick. If you lightly tap the d-pad so that Zidane doesn't do a full step animation, the random encounter check never happens, but the step counter for Ragtimer still increments. This trick can be used to force an encounter with almost 100% accuracy, although which forests you can encounter it in also depends on your plot progress. This trick is also used by speed runners.
I need to try this trick since I always seem to have the worst luck encountering Ragtimer.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Kheldarn posted:

Also: It is, always has been, and always shall be, Wark!, not this Kweh! crap. :colbert:

It's only WARK east of the Mississippi.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wonderslug posted:

I chuckled.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Wonderslug posted:

It's only WARK east of Midgar

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
If anyone here loves OCRemix or rearrangements in general, they just released a four-disc album commemorating Final Fantasy IX entitled "Worlds Apart" that I'm definitely downloading now because holy poo poo yes.

Spoilers do apply however due to song titles and such so, if anyone hasn't played through the game yet you might want to not look. But if anyone likes this sort of thing then have fun!

Wonderslug posted:

:golfclap: that's pretty great, nice one.

Fister Roboto posted:

I always wondered why that happened, that's really interesting to know thanks for the info!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FinalGamer posted:

If anyone here loves OCRemix or rearrangements in general, they just released a four-disc album commemorating Final Fantasy IX entitled "Worlds Apart" that I'm definitely downloading now because holy poo poo yes.

Spoilers do apply however due to song titles and such so, if anyone hasn't played through the game yet you might want to not look. But if anyone likes this sort of thing then have fun!

The moment you finish downloading it, load up the Vamo alla Flamenco remix (Vamo alla Django). It is amazing.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

FinalGamer posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. Just the other day I was listening to their excellent FF6 one and wondering if they were doing any more, but didn't think to actually look on their website or try and find out in any way whatsoever. So, what a nice surprise :D

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't like those ocremix albums because the quality is always all over the place and each track is a completely different genre so they don't flow well at all. There are a few good tracks in there but most of them are pretty standard ocremix techno or heavy metal bullshit.

Also that cover art is pretty bad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't like those ocremix albums because the quality is always all over the place and each track is a completely different genre so they don't flow well at all. There are a few good tracks in there but most of them are pretty standard ocremix techno or heavy metal bullshit.

Download, get the tracks you like, and then discard the rest?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I don't like their version of VAF, but then I don't really care for the original anyway, especially not after listening to it for hours and hours in-game (Other wrong opinions I hold about FF music include "I don't like Matoya's Cave"). I've not found any of the 3-4 I've listened to very good so far, which is disappointing, but there is 4 hours to get through, and it shouldn't be too painful :)

Edit: The track I've just selected to listen to (which I suspect is one that many will jump to quickly) is hilarious. Make sure someone links back to it when we get to it in the game in a few months!

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh hey there's a track by Erutan on there. She's pretty great.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Fister Roboto posted:

I had the same reaction to it. Some of them are really spot on but others are just a complete trainwreck.

Steiner's and Vivi's theme are the two I noticed immediately as being really bad.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I used to look forward to them, then the Chrono Trigger album happened. Epochs of time and delays ensued. Then they stalled more for artwork or the website or some other meaningless fluff. Then completely underwhelming dreck.

Still will check this out. At least something will be worth it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Squalitude posted:

I don't like their version of VAF, but then I don't really care for the original anyway, especially not after listening to it for hours and hours in-game (Other wrong opinions I hold about FF music include "I don't like Matoya's Cave").

Okay but you must like Battle on Big Bridge, yeah? No one can have that many wrong opinions.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Fister Roboto posted:

I felt that way about the Wild ARMs remix album (cover art was cool though), which frankly kinda disappointed me a little for being rather TOO techno-heavy but that might just well be my tastes. But hey, I have never COMPLETELY disliked or hated an entire album that OC Remix has ever made. So yanno, hope you find something in there, everybody's got different tastes so what you love I may probably well hate (like that Battle 1 remix in the album, that don't really grab me that well but I bet someone else must like it)

At the very least I can tell you now that Erutan has two songs she's done on there and I already love the first one to pieces. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Squalitude posted:

Edit: The track I've just selected to listen to (which I suspect is one that many will jump to quickly) is hilarious. Make sure someone links back to it when we get to it in the game in a few months!

OK that one's pretty good, if only for the unique take. Definitely wasn't expecting it.

• Locked thread