Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
What happened to 40k is what happened to a lot of old kitschy franchises (Dr. Who being the one that first comes to mind), it's currently being run by people who were first exposed to it as children or young adults and they insist on taking it all seriously.

This is probably analogous to some important concept in developmental psychology and there might be a study or paper in their somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

In a world of thermodynamics violations and AI gods, there are still major galactic powers organized around free-market libertarianism (:nws: illustration) and Ayn Rand. Because a sixth Super Saiyan singularity AI would ever consider a discredited human sophist from 10,000 years ago worth emulating in any way.

E: According to the page, the Objectivist Commonwealth requires the complete brainwashing of all immigrants to turn them into space Randroids before they are granted citizenship. People who disagree with the ruling philosophy are not allowed civil rights.

Heresiarch posted:

What happened to 40k is what happened to a lot of old kitschy franchises (Dr. Who being the one that first comes to mind), it's currently being run by people who were first exposed to it as children or young adults and they insist on taking it all seriously.

This is probably analogous to some important concept in developmental psychology and there might be a study or paper in their somewhere.

I'd like to read it. I want to know why fans are so obsessed with leeching the soul and vitality out of the things they love.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Sep 8, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Woolie Wool posted:

I'd like to read it. I want to know why fans are so obsessed with leeching the soul and vitality out of the things they love.

Because that's what human beings in general do.

On the other hand, the idea that something like 40k had a "soul" at any point in its existence is pretty absurd. It was made to sell expensive versions of little green army men and it did an okay job of it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Besides, there are actually better tabletop games that not only are more fun to play but also cheaper to run.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's something about fans of science fiction that makes them feel a sense of ownership over the thing they love, like they get viciously angry over things they don't like or agree with and hate that same media with as much intensity as when they loved it--and indeed they still buy it and watch it and talk about it all the time.

It's a weird pathology not entirely unrelated to neoreactionary dorks.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Because that's what human beings in general do.

On the other hand, the idea that something like 40k had a "soul" at any point in its existence is pretty absurd. It was made to sell expensive versions of little green army men and it did an okay job of it.

I dunno, the older versions of 40k had an endearing sort of camp to them. They were fun and amusing to read about if you didn't take them too seriously--and especially in 1st edition 40k didn't take itself very seriously. Then things changed and it gradually disappeared up its own rear end.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Woolie Wool posted:

I'd partly blame the whole "nerds focus on signifiers over actual culture" piece somebody did earlier in this thread. The original authors of 40K wrote about grimdark badasses which represent biting satire of the Thatcher administration, while the fans-that-became-new-authors just write grimdark badasses. There might also be the classic "old stuff is cooler than new stuff", but I expect that's less responsible.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Actually that was me who wrote that post, but fandom is a bit broader and more general than ubernerd types, even though they certainly include plenty of them. And I'm not sure where you could make the case for early 40k being a satire of Thatcherism, though I could certainly see it being a satire, or at least a parody, of space opera, the often razor-thin line between it and heroic fantasy, and the nastier elements of both genres.

One thing I think is very telling--everyone knows the standard blurb about the grim darkness of the far future and the laughter of thirsting gods :words: that's at the beginning of every 40k book or licensed work. The 1st edition rulebook I read a PDF of had an extra line at the very end that was later deleted:

"But it's a big universe out there, and whatever happens, you will not be missed."

But that's a bit too close to being funny, and turns the whole spiel into basically one big joke, and we can't have that.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Sep 8, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Woolie Wool posted:

Actually that was me who wrote that post, but fandom is a bit broader and more general than ubernerd types, even though they certainly include plenty of them. And I'm not sure where you could make the case for early 40k being a satire of Thatcherism, though I could certainly see it being a satire, or at least a parody, of space opera, the often razor-thin line between it and heroic fantasy, and the nastier elements of both genres.
I liked both of those posts, personally. I'm not sure if I'd agree that fandom is broader, but it definitely seems to me that the overly-serious nerds are more vocal than the non-nerdlingers, and more likely to try exerting their will on the fandom/IP.

Most of the "40K is satire" argument comes from the fact that one of the villains is named Mag Uruk Thraka, a dozen other arguments I've seen but poorly remember, and the fact that it didn't take itself so seriously back in the day.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

One thing is for sure, that 40k, which was a pretty thin body of work to begin with and only really useful for cheap amusement, has indeed been reduced to signifiers. It's just like...these are the absolute worst signifiers imaginable. The entire 40k universe was designed ON PURPOSE to be utterly repellent. It's like willingly identifying yourself with Deathshead from The New Order or something. Yeah man, I stand for a psychopath who grins while he sucks a helpless man's brain and rips his spine out, that's who I want to be in life.

It just blows my mind, even if you're a Nazi, to unironically identify with the Imperium and its imagery. This stuff was designed to be literally worse than Hitler, the worst way of life that Games Workshop could possibly come up with. This is what they identify with. I mean, I guess I could understand if it was the Space Marines, but this seems more like poo poo like the state apparatus and their crazy religion, and that's just...no no no no!

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Sep 8, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Man, Thatcher sure did a grody on the UK's cultural landscape.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Woolie Wool posted:

One thing is for sure, that 40k, which was a pretty thin body of work to begin with and only really useful for cheap amusement, has indeed been reduced to signifiers. It's just like...these are the absolute worst signifiers imaginable. The entire 40k universe was designed ON PURPOSE to be utterly repellent. It's like willingly identifying yourself with Deathshead from The New Order or something. Yeah man, I stand for a psychopath who grins while he sucks a helpless man's brain and rips his spine out, that's who I want to be in life.

It just blows my mind, even if you're a Nazi, to unironically identify with the Imperium and its imagery. This stuff was designed to be literally worse than Hitler, the worst way of life that Games Workshop could possibly come up with. This is what they identify with. I mean, I guess I could understand if it was the Space Marines, but this seems more like poo poo like the state apparatus and their crazy religion, and that's just...no no no no!

Read a 40k thread and you'll see people say it's all justified, Hard Men Making Hard Choices is super in with general nerd culture right now and it's awful.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Stuff like this thread and this other thread are making me wonder if the most concise definition of a nerd is "a person who values things over people".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Stuff like this thread and this other thread are making me wonder if the most concise definition of a nerd is "a person who values things over people".

Sociopaths? I'm just saying assholes come in all creeds and walks.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I didn't say they don't value people at all, just that they put whatever things they're attached to above human concerns. That's the root of things like Hard Men Making Hard Decisions. You don't have to be a sociopath for an attachment to things to blind you to the concerns of other people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Woolie Wool posted:

I didn't say they don't value people at all, just that they put whatever things they're attached to above human concerns. That's the root of things like Hard Men Making Hard Decisions. You don't have to be a sociopath for an attachment to things to blind you to the concerns of other people.

I mean some of it is also the cheapest way to make a character look conflicted and heroic is to have them make Hard Choices and a lot of genre writing is very lazy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Woolie Wool posted:

See also GamerGate, where legions of turbodorks sided with their beloved video games in the face of feminist criticism, or any of a hundred other groups that can't accept criticism of their fandom.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Let's also remember that in their entire year of existence GG has done nothing in particular to change the world of videogame 'journalism' or any problems in the AAA industry.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GG might occasionally complain about the AAA industry but are steadfast in their insistence that all video games follow AAA templates and genre archetypes. They want AAA mass-market entertainment to be the totality of video games. AAA is what they want.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

darthbob88 posted:

Most of the "40K is satire" argument comes from the fact that one of the villains is named Mag Uruk Thraka ... didn't take itself so seriously back in the day.
I'm clearly missing something here.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Some people believe "Mag Uruk Thraka" is supposed to sound like "Margaret Thatcher".

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Eh, 40k has scaled back on the seriousness. The robot zombie terminators now are sentient and sassy. Part skynet, part David Bowie in psudeoegyptian drag.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Nessus posted:

"Thatcher carpet-bombed British politics, and we're all just living in the ruins."

I think it was actually forums poster Heresiarch who said that, back when Thatcher died, and it rung very true.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jack Gladney posted:

There's something about fans of science fiction that makes them feel a sense of ownership over the thing they love, like they get viciously angry over things they don't like or agree with and hate that same media with as much intensity as when they loved it--and indeed they still buy it and watch it and talk about it all the time.
Isn't that just hardcore fans of anything? Football, Doctor Who, whatever.

Night10194 posted:

I mean some of it is also the cheapest way to make a character look conflicted and heroic is to have them make Hard Choices and a lot of genre writing is very lazy.
FTFY.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

There was still an overriding anti-establishment nature to all sorts of stuff right up until everything went about face following the whole 9/11 disaster, at which point everything had to be serious and supportive of government (which itself was a fetid continuation of Thatcher's poo poo). The mid-to-late 90s were really good for things like Cannon Fodder (a really funny and poignant satire of the military at the time), Red Dwarf, and even children's comics like The Beano or Sonic the Comic (written and drawn by 2000AD staff (Judge Dredd)) had subtle anti-establishment factors in them. In sharp contrast to the general bombast of American media (then and now), there was always a very mundane normality to these stories that went by the wayside when everything had to be packaged into neat boxes and made more quaint for "international" audiences.

So basically what I mean is yes, she did.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

darthbob88 posted:

See also GamerGate, where legions of turbodorks sided with their beloved video games in the face of feminist criticism, or any of a hundred other groups that can't accept criticism of their fandom.

Wanna see The Worst Analogy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm mildly disappointed the "bunch of people" are not black or gay.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Googled "grimbertarian" to find it's apparently a term he coined himself, in case anyone in this thread still needs proof social justice warriors don't have a monopoly on ideological obscurantism.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Woolie Wool posted:

gently caress you, Burzum and Arghoslent are not "just music, man". You know exactly what the gently caress you're listening to. People don't find themselves attracted to music that explicitly pushes fascist and white supremacist worldviews for merely "artistic reasons".

By coincidence, Nydwracu loves Burzum, as well as ICP.

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/567489856214167552

All of what this moron says about GG is hilariously wrong and stupid.

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Sep 8, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/567489856214167552

All of what this moron says about GG is hilariously wrong and stupid.

It's tunnel vision to the point that it's probably worth considering it a form of legal blindness.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Merdifex posted:

By coincidence, Nydwracu loves Burzum, as well as ICP.

I want to see Varg Vikernes' reaction to someone listening to both Burzum and ICP. He'd probably write some gigantic pseudo-intellectual screed about how hip-hop, even terrible white boy hip-hop, will mutate white people's superior Aryan genetics and turn them into $racial_slur, when he's not working on FATAL: Nazi Edition. :munch:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Woolie Wool posted:

I want to see Varg Vikernes' reaction to someone listening to both Burzum and ICP. He'd probably write some gigantic pseudo-intellectual screed about how hip-hop, even terrible white boy hip-hop, will mutate white people's superior Aryan genetics and turn them into $racial_slur, when he's not working on FATAL: Nazi Edition. :munch:

I already linked to what Nydwracu said about ICP, in in short, he believes that you should listen to ICP because SJWs hate "low-status" whites and hate what they listen to. Also it's good hip-hop because whites are making it.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Woolie Wool posted:

FATAL: Nazi Edition. :munch:

Already done.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well now there are two of them thanks to Varg Vikernes' relentless lunacy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Merdifex posted:

You know, I don't think I've mentioned this before, but nydwracu is the only DE moron who makes, or made, his own music. You check his poo poo out at his website he says he made when he was 15. Notice the subtle racial messages in some of the songs.

http://cryptm.org/~nort/
If Vox Day counts, he used to have a band. I don't really advise looking further into it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Woolie Wool posted:

White hip-hop and rap should be prosecuted as a crime against humanity.

I like 40k for the orks because they're hilarious, and the Imperial guard, because when conditions are right, they can also be hilarious. Plus they're the most screwed "regular army guys in a sci-fi setting" ever and that appeals me. Finally, I have a weakness for fascist imagery, as my avatar allures to. Why do the dumb asses and jag offs occasionally have to look :krad:?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Klaus88 posted:

I like 40k for the orks because they're hilarious, and the Imperial guard, because when conditions are right, they can also be hilarious. Plus they're the most screwed "regular army guys in a sci-fi setting" ever and that appeals me. Finally, I have a weakness for fascist imagery, as my avatar allures to. Why do the dumb asses and jag offs occasionally have to look :krad:?

I asked this in one of the WWII Game Threads and someone gave me a pretty great answer: It's designed by armchair generals for armchair generals to look cool on parade and have huge numbers on paper, that's why.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Woolie Wool posted:

Well now there are two of them thanks to Varg Vikernes' relentless lunacy.

I'd love to see a thread doing a play through of one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Klaus88 posted:

But but but...Doomtree :(