Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

fyodor posted:

what the gently caress are those trash barrels in the back

I've walked by and the barrels were full of yard waste, and there were shovels and whatnot in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

Would you be taking home more than you are now or could potentially make in your current field? Being an electrical engineer sounds like a much better career imo.

Yeah the margins look good, but isn't the problem the whole "making your hobby a business" thing? I'm sure everyone in AI including myself would support you going into it, but at the same time we'd be worried about your sanity coming out of it :v:

Unsure. During billable hours, definitely, by an order of magnitude. I make my money sitting on my rear end and making a computer do my bidding right now though which is pretty nice.

I am already making my hobby a business, my hobby was EE stuff about 15 years before I ever got into cars.

Sanity...? Yeah there is none of that here.

That being said I can't sell water to a man on fire, so I should probably stick to what I am already doing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's huge too. If you can't market your service, your screwed

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, taking all their money is gonna require some salesmanship selling people poo poo they don't really need.

I got out of the photography for a living because once my freelance gigs dried up I had no desire to run my own business and I couldn't market my way out of a paper bag either so I gracefully bowed out and moved on. I can't sell myself because I don't believe anyone gives a poo poo to begin with :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

Yeah, taking all their money is gonna require some salesmanship selling people poo poo they don't really need.

I got out of the photography for a living because once my freelance gigs dried up I had no desire to run my own business and I couldn't market my way out of a paper bag either so I gracefully bowed out and moved on. I can't sell myself because I don't believe anyone gives a poo poo to begin with :v:

While I agree with you on the Kastein thing your photography problem is not quite the same.

When my stock stopped selling well enough to pay for the equipment I bailed. Not for just that reason, but because the QUALITY of what was selling well had dropped so much. Every rear end in a top hat with a DSLR thinks they're a photographer now and very few buyers can tell the difference because they are also now amateurs ("web developers", etc). We're a whole world away from professional graphic artists buying high quality images these days like when one could make money in the business taking good photos for a good stock agency.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

While I agree with you on the Kastein thing your photography problem is not quite the same.

When my stock stopped selling well enough to pay for the equipment I bailed. Not for just that reason, but because the QUALITY of what was selling well had dropped so much. Every rear end in a top hat with a DSLR thinks they're a photographer now and very few buyers can tell the difference because they are also now amateurs ("web developers", etc). We're a whole world away from professional graphic artists buying high quality images these days like when one could make money in the business taking good photos for a good stock agency.

http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

I agree completely, the same thing happened to me, it's just that I wasn't willing to go into business for myself because I didn't have the will or energy to compete with all the other fools out there giving away their lovely work, why is anyone going to be willing to pay what I want for my work? I'm not going to try and sell myself over these people, I have no time for it.

I worked with a sports stock agency on spec (owning my copyrights), and once my stock built up I was actually making pretty good money, but by the time I left they were giving new people $100 day rates and retaining rights to all their images because all these fuckwits will do anything to get creds and act like a pro photog for a weekend. I knew a doctor that would fly in to events on weekends to make $100 a day. I tried to explain to him that guys like him were ruining it for people that made a living out of it but he didn't want to hear it. It was too late at that point anyway. All the big stock agencies retain rights now unless you're a veteran that's grandfathered in. I'm sure some have been pushed out too.

I also worked for a local portrait studio that had a monopoly on all the high schools in the area shooting all their sports stuff and events, I was one of a handful of contractors they had and made drat good money doing it. Then one day they made a deal with Canon, bought a bunch of digital bodies and lenses and just started hiring out the high school kids at minimum wage to do it, and the contractors were slowly phased out, I went from working every weekday to once a week within a month, saw the writing on the wall, bowed out and said gently caress photography altogether.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Three pages. I could only make it three pages.

That is not only bad, but super, super cringy. Especially the first page at the moment.

leica posted:

I agree completely, the same thing happened to me, it's just that I wasn't willing to go into business for myself because I didn't have the will or energy to compete with all the other fools out there giving away their lovely work, why is anyone going to be willing to pay what I want for my work? I'm not going to try and sell myself over these people, I have no time for it.

I worked with a sports stock agency on spec (owning my copyrights), and once my stock built up I was actually making pretty good money, but by the time I left they were giving new people $100 day rates and retaining rights to all their images because all these fuckwits will do anything to get creds and act like a pro photog for a weekend. I knew a doctor that would fly in to events on weekends to make $100 a day. I tried to explain to him that guys like him were ruining it for people that made a living out of it but he didn't want to hear it. It was too late at that point anyway. All the big stock agencies retain rights now unless you're a veteran that's grandfathered in. I'm sure some have been pushed out too.

I also worked for a local portrait studio that had a monopoly on all the high schools in the area shooting all their sports stuff and events, I was one of a handful of contractors they had and made drat good money doing it. Then one day they made a deal with Canon, bought a bunch of digital bodies and lenses and just started hiring out the high school kids at minimum wage to do it, and the contractors were slowly phased out, I went from working every weekday to once a week within a month, saw the writing on the wall, bowed out and said gently caress photography altogether.

That is all super lovely, and 110% believable based on what I saw.

I was never doing this full time, so maybe I was part of the problem, but I retained my copyright (I still get surprise checks!) and only put up good work. Some of the very good work I put up was rejected. Remember when that used to happen? When agencies only accepted the best of the best because they were sending chromes out to customers?

Your high school students with DSLRs is so typical........and the million moneys with a million typewriters thing just might work if there were still actual photo editors around to throw out 99.9 percent of it. But there'r aren't. People just generally don't know or expect good photography anymore. Anyone with a phone can do it, right?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 29, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha, I was done around 2009 (did it for about three years), had a decent stock built up and was still getting published and getting checks for a few years after. That poo poo dried up quite awhile ago though :v:

The spec stock stuff I did was part time, contracting for the local studio was my bread and butter so when that went south I was done. Sold all my poo poo, now I'm down to just one 20D, a 10-22 and a 50mm haha.

But yeah, anyone can be a "pro" these days and I'm not trying to compete with them offering the lowest price for the shittiest images.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 30, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I've considered producing and selling stock but strayed away from it because I figured it just wasn't worth the time.

Weddings are still a good source of income for the amount of time required.

I did add a new body this year (70D) which has been a ton of fun to play around with. Incredible video capability.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Weddings are a great way to make money if you're good at it and can deal with the drama. It took assisting a handful of weddings to realize it wasn't for me. The photographers I knew that are good at it make a killing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

and can deal with the drama

This. It's this.

No amount of money can make up for it. And it doesn't stop for MONTHS after each wedding, no matter what you try.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up
kinda gold? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5184378171.html

*edit: fixed ad link

EL Bombastico fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 3, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

you linked to the wrong ad.

also you were posting poo poo on the internet when you should have been out buying that car.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That's probably a scam.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Three pages. I could only make it three pages.

Screw you bad trip baby owns. Owns your next acid drop.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's probably a scam.

I seem to remember that engine having some sort of exhaust air injector things that get clogged causing failed emissions and error codes which requires a head teardown to repair. Maybe it just needs to go live somewhere without emissions testing?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/cto/5189937829.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo. Buy it and if it fails emission flip it to a goon out of CA for 3k.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006
I guess it's the best PT Cruiser ?

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/5185160699.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
WTF is that thing behind it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's a barn

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Those are trees

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You mean that sign that says riken?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I figured it was an S10 with a front end swap, so i put "S10 front end swap" into google image search to confirm, and now i need a forget-me-now.

I don't know how i'm going to sleep tonight.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VideoTapir posted:

Looks like an early 90s C1500 with some dumbfuck front clip to make it look like a mid 50s Chevy.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Looks like an early 90s C1500 with some dumbfuck front clip to make it look like a mid 50s Chevy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgs9OhjAE2g

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was surprised to see this today:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5210313850.html

Are these any good stock or are they just coveted for being a platform?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

Those are trees

Elmnt80 posted:

You mean that sign that says riken?

You guys are the best guys.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

blk posted:

Was surprised to see this today:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5210313850.html

Are these any good stock or are they just coveted for being a platform?

They're coveted because almost every single hatchback has been tarted up with the cheapest garbage at this point and having a stock one that still rolls is impressive.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

the gently caress

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I dunno, it seems p. cool. Its not covered in chrome or a tacky as poo poo "rat rod". I mean, it has a modernish mopar engine in it, but I'd honestly rather have it than quite a few modernish ford truck engines. I'm assuming the $20 is meant to be 20,000 which is way too much, but for 10k +-2k? gently caress yeah, I'd consider it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That elipsis in the tacky nose art makes it seem more like a disappointed sigh. "Yeah... it's got a hemi.. sorry.." :saddowns:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5209537052.html

quote:

1993 Mazda MX3 GS - $2000 (Kent)

I could totally see 2000 dollars being a reasonable price for a...

quote:

condition: Salvage/Fair
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: fwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 185000
paint color: blue
size: compact
title status: clean
transmission: manual

*$2000 or best offer*
So long story short, IntecRacing told me to cut my losses and sell it. :/
When I got it first it was bad and fixed it up but the transmission failed, and the [b]motor had major leaks and it was gonna give in soon. I changed the struts but one but still have it. Was gonna install but then the bad news hit. New rotors, brakes and struts when I got it last year. New speakers too. I got the Stage 2 Spec Clutch Kit for it and an Aluminum Spec Flywheel both costed almost $500 each. Stereo and rims and tires staying with me for my new car that Imma buy. I also painted the air vents too and not to boast it was good. :) surprisingly. Haha
They told me that one CV Axle is rusted shut into the transmission, bad. And the other is broke at the boot area. So chances are you can fix it but it needs TIME and money. motor has leaks too and might give in soon or later down the road. Total honesty from them and I saw it all to confirm. They said about $4000 of repairs due to new parts New engine and labor. It also needs new headlights since one is broken at a corner. And New gaskets for windshields.
I'm trying to sell this to an Engineer, Gear Head, or Tuner who is interested to turn this car great again. Its currently just billable. It is a magnificent car but sadly I have to think smart and just get a better car. We can always talk about the price and stuff.

I was gonna bold sections but holy poo poo. Then there's the photos which vary from "okay, a little ricey" to "need 2000 dollars for meth."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's worth maybe 500 at the most. If he was smart he'd part it out and scrap whatever is left.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But the person who buys it for 2000 dollars can part it out. Why should I not get that money?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The other stuff is just ricey. This, this is a failure to understand how... well, anything works. For gently caress's sake, there are speaker grilles just in front of where he hacked near-irreplaceable plastics...

e: I assume the plastics are rare-ish.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 8, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

But the person who buys it for 2000 dollars can part it out. Why should I not get that money?

If you buy it for $2k and try to part it out, I doubt you'll make money or even break even. You'll probably lose money. Who knows what's still good on the car and what it's worth.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
There is a good chance if you stroll down 240th right there with $2k in your pocket you will not make it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5192889152.html