Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Moto G 2015 owners, how large is it compared to other 5" phones? Does the Motorola flip cover add much bulk? Have you found other good cover options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Simple Simon posted:

So recently switched to android from iOS but the main thing that is bugging me right now is the emoji. They look weird as gently caress.
What can one do?
If you're rooted you can use Emoji Switcher to pick from a bunch of different sets for your phone's default.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

Moto G 2015 owners, how large is it compared to other 5" phones? Does the Motorola flip cover add much bulk? Have you found other good cover options?

It feels quite small and comfortable in the hand thanks to the rounded back. Also I'm coming from a Sony Z3, so it felt extra tiny at first. I use this case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0110NI6JW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_KUD7vbRNHZC71

and it's been great. Zero complaints.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FistEnergy posted:

Step back from the ledge, Daily Forecast. You didn't immediately regret buying an LG device and I'm happy for you, but don't take things a bridge too far. :v:

literally what

pun pundit posted:

Diztronic case is a little bulkier but it makes the phone feel like a brick (in a good, durable way) so there's that.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody know or have a good guess as to when stores like Best Buy would be putting out display models of the Moto X Pure? Are there even B&M stores other than Best Buy that will be selling it?

I was told by a Verizon store employee yesterday that BB was the only big box store that will have the X Pure at launch. He wasn't told when they were available, and the people at BB were clueless as well. It should be within the next few weeks. I'm waiting to see an X Pure in person before pulling the trigger.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yea, it's the cost of this year's model that's allowing me to even consider buying it outright. I'm assuming the next Nexus is gonna be around $600 and that's just unreasonable for me.

Great advice. I have huge hands, so kinda assume it'll be fine but should go to the store and hold one before purchase. Thanks!

I was just in a store yesterday comparing my Note 2 to the Nexus 6 for this reason. Honestly, based on all the talk of how OMGHUGE the 6 is, I expected it to be bigger. It is noticeably taller (by about a quarter inch), but in terms of width the difference is imperceptible. (Google tells me the 6 is .1 inch wider). They are the same thickness, although the 6 tapers and is much thinner at the edges.

After suffering through a locked down never-updated phone for three years I'm never buying a Samsung again. I will say though, the screens on the new Note 5 and Edge 6 + are disgustingly nice and make the Nexus's display look like a Kindle reader.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. What small smartphones should I look out for in the next few months?

I'm currently using a Fire Phone I bought for $80 as a holdover to replace a Nexus 5 I lost. It's a solid phone, but, like the Nexus, it's huge. I noticed the Sony Z5's coming out in a month. Anything else I should look out for? The Fire's fine other than the size; I'm willing to pay to not carry something that big with me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. What small smartphones should I look out for in the next few months?

I'm currently using a Fire Phone I bought for $80 as a holdover to replace a Nexus 5 I lost. It's a solid phone, but, like the Nexus, it's huge. I noticed the Sony Z5's coming out in a month. Anything else I should look out for? The Fire's fine other than the size; I'm willing to pay to not carry something that big with me.

Sony Z5 Compact or iPhone 5s are your only options for a smaller, not budget phone that is under 5" (iPhone 6 is 4.7" but is as big as a Nexus 5 or Fire Phone). Moto E or Moto G are smaller than most current flagships, but still as big as a Nexus 5 or thereabouts. Like hardware keyboard fans, you're just going to have to adjust if you want a new phone, unfortunately.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok I finally upgraded my 2013 X to 5.1.x because the nag screen finally made me cave in.

What is the best way to go back to a 4.4.4 OLED-friendly dark theme.

There about 20 billion apps in the app store and as I'm sure you're aware the app store has awful search. I guess M has this option but obviously that's not a thing right now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any idea why my phone thinks I'm in Inkster, Michigan (I'm not. I'm in Denver)? It's been convinced of this fact for a couple days now and it's less than ideal. It did the same thing to a friend when she was over, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the network.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

XIII posted:

Any idea why my phone thinks I'm in Inkster, Michigan (I'm not. I'm in Denver)? It's been convinced of this fact for a couple days now and it's less than ideal. It did the same thing to a friend when she was over, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the network.

Whoa. Weird. I'm sitting in a bar and the border of Inkster is literally on the other side of the road. :tinfoil:

But yeah, I have no idea. Maybe our phones are drinking buddies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

When you actually look at your location in Maps, is it correct? What if you clear AGPS data and get a fix that way? Lastly, what are your location settings? High accuracy?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

When you actually look at your location in Maps, is it correct? What if you clear AGPS data and get a fix that way? Lastly, what are your location settings? High accuracy?

Correct in maps, but it will occasionally report incorrectly in G+. How do I clear AGPS? And, yes, high accuracy.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

XIII posted:

Correct in maps, but it will occasionally report incorrectly in G+. How do I clear AGPS? And, yes, high accuracy.

Sometimes when towers go down in areas, the carrier will put up a portable tower and oftentimes those portable towers will report incorrect locations. For instance I recently went to a music festival and my location was reported on the other side of the country.

It's possible that the tower near you is undergoing repairs and based on this happening to other people, it seems even more likely.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

hotsauce posted:

If anyone honestly finds that the "lovely task-killing" internet crying actually affects real-world usage, I'd like to conduct an interview with them to understand how their mind works. I know, if you have 40 apps open and are toggling between all of them like a lunatic, sure, you will experience the effects of overly-aggressive task killing.

In normal human use, however, it's a complete non-issue and one that youtube/XDA spergs found and are running with.

I never returned my Note 5 (nobody took the bait from my post) and use it every day. It's a fantastic phone.

Lastly, don't be fooled. Samsung isn't known to fix anything, ever, so if this multi-tasking thing is keeping you up at night, bail right now because chances are it will go unchecked forever. Again, I have not noticed it one bit and that's good by me. Non-issue, IMO (I know there is a technical rebuttal that will silence me, don't care).

It bugs me since there seems to be no reason for it. It's faulty lovely coding that overrides Android to provide a worse experience.

It's not that big of a deal though I agree. It's not crazy to think something like this is bad though.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Low battery warning at 20% and after 1 minute it drops to 3% and turns off... t-thanks samsung

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

BottleKnight posted:

It bugs me since there seems to be no reason for it. It's faulty lovely coding that overrides Android to provide a worse experience.

It's not that big of a deal though I agree. It's not crazy to think something like this is bad though.

Are you sure whatever app is being killed that's annoying you most isn't just really lovely at maintaining its own state across being killed? Some apps, like games, are real bad at stuff like this and like to load from scratch nearly every time you relaunch them. Other stuff, such as Pocket Casts, seems to maintain state no matter how much it's hosed with. Whether or not an app is killed by the memory manager seems kind of moot to me because the devs writing those apps should be developing with that in mind.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Saving and restoring the entire in-memory state of a program isn't necessarily a trivial thing, especially for something as complex as a game. A podcast app might just need to save a reference to the podcast and a timestamp, and that's enough to get back where you were.

A game might have a ton of entities to rebuild, deterministic behaviour that needs to be arbitrarily reset, OpenGL state to be completely recreated... it's not just saving and remaking all that stuff, the game specifically has to be written so you can arbitrarily restage and interconnect everything and hit go and have it all work perfectly. It's not impossible (save games have been around forever obviously) but there are wildly varying degrees of effort and complexity required between different kinds of app

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

I use the app GPS Status & Toolbox. Click the wrench at the top and select Manage A-GPS state and do Reset.

SB35 is almost certainly correct that it's something about the local network (either SSIDs nearby or cell tower) that has out-of-date locations for that equipment and not your phone where the problem lies.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

baka kaba posted:

Saving and restoring the entire in-memory state of a program isn't necessarily a trivial thing, especially for something as complex as a game. A podcast app might just need to save a reference to the podcast and a timestamp, and that's enough to get back where you were.

A game might have a ton of entities to rebuild, deterministic behaviour that needs to be arbitrarily reset, OpenGL state to be completely recreated... it's not just saving and remaking all that stuff, the game specifically has to be written so you can arbitrarily restage and interconnect everything and hit go and have it all work perfectly. It's not impossible (save games have been around forever obviously) but there are wildly varying degrees of effort and complexity required between different kinds of app

I think that's the point: just because something is getting kicked from memory doesnt mean it's getting kicked unreasonably. An individual app failing to restore its state makes it really obvious, but it's theoretically something that should be routine and transparent.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
For SD slot havers, Amazon's Deal of the Day is micro sd cards: http://amzn.to/1JQKXzk

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

lowcrabdiet posted:

For SD slot havers, Amazon's Deal of the Day is micro sd cards: http://amzn.to/1JQKXzk

Supposedly this LG G4 supports 'up to 2TB', but does that even exist?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
2TB is the SDXC spec.
Sandisk has a 500GB one, but at nearly $1:1GB it'd be pretty drat silly to buy one unless you had a super specific need.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So this happened to my Z3 Compact over the weekend. Not exactly sure how to even describe it but the glass is 100% in tact and it did not get dropped...pulled it out of my pocket to find it looking like this

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

So this happened to my Z3 Compact over the weekend. Not exactly sure how to even describe it but the glass is 100% in tact and it did not get dropped...pulled it out of my pocket to find it looking like this

Probably pressure cracking the glass. I had something similar happen to a Nintendo DS when I decided to take it to the county fair and ride some carnival rides because I'm an idiot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

Are you sure whatever app is being killed that's annoying you most isn't just really lovely at maintaining its own state across being killed?
It's every single app and other phones don't do it. See video here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ng-performance/

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

baka kaba posted:

I've done game dev before. I understand it's hard, and I didn't mean to make it sound like every game needs to be able to do it perfectly and instantly. I was just saying that the poster should think about whether their choice of apps is exacerbating the problem with apps being killed in the background.

Seems like it's a real problem that should be fixed, anyway.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 8, 2015

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

DemonMage posted:

2TB is the SDXC spec.
Sandisk has a 500GB one, but at nearly $1:1GB it'd be pretty drat silly to buy one unless you had a super specific need.

Anime mostly

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Probably pressure cracking the glass. I had something similar happen to a Nintendo DS when I decided to take it to the county fair and ride some carnival rides because I'm an idiot.
There's multiple layers to a phone display -- for this particular model, there's at least backlight, liquid crystal, touch sensors, front glass.

In this case it looks like pressure has cracked the liquid crystal layer while leaving the front glass intact. The display will need to be replaced.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the goonsensus on new :britain: phones the Wiley Fox Storm and Swift? I'm guessing this hasn't really had much coverage in the US.

https://www.wileyfox.com/

The low-end Swift, in particular, seems to be worth some thoguht. The hardware looks pretty nice (S410, 2GB RAM, 16GB memory, 5" 720p) but then we get to the part where it runs CM and I start triggering.

Still, at £130, compared the the 16GB Moto G at £190, it's an interesting option.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 8, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

So what's the goonsensus on new :britain: phones the Wiley Fox Storm and Swift? I'm guessing this hasn't really had much coverage in the US.

The low-end Swift, in particular, seems to be worth some thoguht. The hardware looks pretty nice (S410, 2GB RAM, 16GB memory) but then we get to the part where it runs CM and I start triggering.

Still, at £130, compared the the 16GB Moto G at £190, it's an interesting option.

It says on the site: "What if...beauty and the best?"

That makes me wonder "what if...your questions made sense?".

Anyway, I hope the best for them. It seems nice enough, and I want these types of things to succeed. I just can't see myself buying the thing. The potential for weird behavior (because CM) is just too high.

Of course, that's not an entirely consistent position as I didn't avoid heartache by buying a Moto X...

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Sony Z5 Compact or iPhone 5s are your only options for a smaller, not budget phone that is under 5" (iPhone 6 is 4.7" but is as big as a Nexus 5 or Fire Phone). Moto E or Moto G are smaller than most current flagships, but still as big as a Nexus 5 or thereabouts. Like hardware keyboard fans, you're just going to have to adjust if you want a new phone, unfortunately.
Thanks. The speculation I've read about the Z5C is that it'll be expensive; ie around $800. I don't think I could justify spending that much to have a pocketable phone. Might consider buying a Z3C instead even though it's a bit dated, or just using the Fire until something else small comes out, (or doesn’t).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Tunga posted:

The low-end Swift, in particular, seems to be worth some thoguht. The hardware looks pretty nice (S410, 2GB RAM, 16GB memory, 5" 720p) but then we get to the part where it runs CM and I start triggering.

Those "what if.."s are pretty ironic. "What if your phone kept your private life private?" "What if your phone automatically revealed withheld numbers?"
The phone that respects privacy and intrudes on it, at the same time!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rastor posted:

There's multiple layers to a phone display -- for this particular model, there's at least backlight, liquid crystal, touch sensors, front glass.

In this case it looks like pressure has cracked the liquid crystal layer while leaving the front glass intact. The display will need to be replaced.

thank you for the explanation, guess I'll call sony today and see if they honor the warranty even though i bought this phone from a UK site and had it shipped to the US.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Thanks. The speculation I've read about the Z5C is that it'll be expensive; ie around $800. I don't think I could justify spending that much to have a pocketable phone. Might consider buying a Z3C instead even though it's a bit dated, or just using the Fire until something else small comes out, (or doesn’t).

I can't imagine it'll be much more expensive than its predecessors.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dominoes posted:

Good news! You can pick up my Z3c! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740292

Enough shilling in this thread, I'm done.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

pun pundit posted:

Those "what if.."s are pretty ironic. "What if your phone kept your private life private?" "What if your phone automatically revealed withheld numbers?"
The phone that respects privacy and intrudes on it, at the same time!

In the UK getting a 'Withheld' call usually means it's someone from an Indian call centre who wants to argue with you about your router corrupting your computer

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Question about the Note 5 vs. the Galaxy S6 SOC/chipset:

upthread somebody was holding forth rather convincingly that some non-insignificant portion of the battery life problems on some variants of the S6 was due to the fact that the wifi functionality wasn't on the same chip. Is that still an issue with the Note 5, or should I wait to go from the Note 4 for when they go back to snapdragon next generation?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Um what the gently caress? My Nexus 5 just factory reset itself while in my pocket.

edit: rebooting fixed it :ms:. Well that was a scary 30 seconds

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Y'all need bigger cargo jorts if keeping a phone in your pocket is causing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ruby idiot railed posted:

Question about the Note 5 vs. the Galaxy S6 SOC/chipset:

upthread somebody was holding forth rather convincingly that some non-insignificant portion of the battery life problems on some variants of the S6 was due to the fact that the wifi functionality wasn't on the same chip. Is that still an issue with the Note 5, or should I wait to go from the Note 4 for when they go back to snapdragon next generation?
I'm not sure if it's still an issue but the Note 5 uses the same chipset the S6 uses. Unlike previous years, the Note 5 is almost literally just a larger S6.