Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MYFAROG's cover art also looks to be reused from a pathfinder third party monster series called RAWR, and the artist is Slavic. I don't know if anything meaningful can be derived from this, but it seems funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Woolie Wool posted:

Well now there are two of them thanks to Varg Vikernes' relentless lunacy.

quote:

And yes, the whole thing is written in Papyrus.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's really the most damning part.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

MizPiz posted:

I'd love to see a thread doing a play through of one of these.

I'd participate in an ill advised campaign over skype or something, but someone would have to :filez: Myfarog, and Racial Holy War is too broken to play (they forgot the rules for hitting things.)

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

If I recall correctly, Racial Holy War also has a hilariously simplistic "intimidation" mechanic that could drive your Aryan warrior away screaming from, say, a daycare full of Hispanic toddlers or a Chinatown

:911:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SatansOnion posted:

If I recall correctly, Racial Holy War also has a hilariously simplistic "intimidation" mechanic that could drive your Aryan warrior away screaming from, say, a daycare full of Hispanic toddlers or a Chinatown

:911:

An accurate simulation of your average white supremacist.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
https://twitter.com/JustineTunney/status/641424965653393408
https://twitter.com/JustineTunney/status/641412851882676225

Justine Tunney is about as stupid as any other NRx idiot, but more interesting and perplexing, what with her being a trans neoreactionary.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Justine Tunney is about as stupid as any other NRx idiot, but more interesting and perplexing, what with her being a trans neoreactionary.

Controversy is a hell of a drug.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Merdifex posted:

In case you weren't going to click:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Wow, she couldn't have missed the point any harder if she turned around and shot in the opposite direction.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Does anyone have that :ironicat: that just keeps getting bigger?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Pope Guilty posted:

I liked the other tweet better. Capitalism is bad because it treats people as disposable, unlike feudalism. loving bizarre.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Merdifex posted:

Capitalism is bad because it treats people as disposable, unlike feudalism.

The peasantry aren't considered people in the same way as the landed gentry or the free-men, so this statement is correct from the perspective of people who would style themselves as the ruling elite.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Wales Grey posted:

The peasantry aren't considered people in the same way as the landed gentry or the free-men, so this statement is correct from the perspective of people who would style themselves as the ruling elite.

I wonder what their logic for that is, considering that the elite under feudalism usually held hereditary positions. I have to assume that they think they would somehow be the ones in charge in a post-democratic world, and for some reason not the people who are already sitting on government-sized privately-owned power structures, many of whom inherited them from their family.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It makes total sense if you just assume the DE forces aren't actually out to do anything but seize power, with the DE itself as a convenient way of leveraging themselves into power that they can't earn under our current system. They'll embrace the Cathedral the instant it works in their favor. The philosophy itself is purest sophistry. Since it's just a means to an end, whatever deals they make to gain power will be easily rationalized.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peztopiary posted:

It makes total sense if you just assume the DE forces aren't actually out to do anything but seize power, with the DE itself as a convenient way of leveraging themselves into power that they can't earn under our current system. They'll embrace the Cathedral the instant it works in their favor. The philosophy itself is purest sophistry. Since it's just a means to an end, whatever deals they make to gain power will be easily rationalized.

I'm sure they've made up some "well the natural order of things means that me, pasty freelance blogger, will be crowned king by divine right!" reason or something along those lines.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Heresiarch posted:

I wonder what their logic for that is, considering that the elite under feudalism usually held hereditary positions. I have to assume that they think they would somehow be the ones in charge in a post-democratic world, and for some reason not the people who are already sitting on government-sized privately-owned power structures, many of whom inherited them from their family.
Personal mobility was rather low in the middle ages. An individual feudal lord had at least theoretically some incentive to look out for the serfs and peasants on his land, as if they all died, he would soon find himself impoverished, whereas a modern business can always grab an entirely new set of interns from the vast jobless hordes.

That's a kind of logic I can find in it, anyway. I don't think the peasants were actually better off as a consequence, though.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'm sure they've made up some "well the natural order of things means that me, pasty freelance blogger, will be crowned king by divine right!" reason or something along those lines.

Orson Scott Card has a whole loving lot to answer for.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's basically the same logic as "Well the slave-holder has a reason to look out for his slaves, while the factory owner using free labor has no reason not to work his workers to death if he can."

I mean, there's an obvious third course, which is that perhaps the workers should have rights and/or the means of production :ussr: but that poo poo's just loving unthinkable, man!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nessus posted:

It's basically the same logic as "Well the slave-holder has a reason to look out for his slaves, while the factory owner using free labor has no reason not to work his workers to death if he can."

I mean, there's an obvious third course, which is that perhaps the workers should have rights and/or the means of production :ussr: but that poo poo's just loving unthinkable, man!

I never quite bought why people thought slave owners had an incentive to be nice to slaves - keeping a person "healthy enough to work" and "looking out for them" are two vastly different things. Just look at the conditions in factory chicken farms, especially before heavier regulation came into effect in the last few decades. I don't think anyone would say cages you can't stand up in and one-or-less square feet of space per bird is "looking out for them" but it keeps them alive long enough to get the job done.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I never quite bought why people thought slave owners had an incentive to be nice to slaves - keeping a person "healthy enough to work" and "looking out for them" are two vastly different things. Just look at the conditions in factory chicken farms, especially before heavier regulation came into effect in the last few decades. I don't think anyone would say cages you can't stand up in and one-or-less square feet of space per bird is "looking out for them" but it keeps them alive long enough to get the job done.
At the time at least, the comparison was usually between slaves on a plantation and tenement-dwelling workers in an industrial city. It is possible that the slaves were in better health but that was more of a condemnation of the industrial conditions than, you know, because they were treated as chattel

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

That's twice in this thread now that something incredibly stupid has been linked and the page hosting it thinks it's cool and good. The repository of insane Dave Sim quotes is on a page that thinks they're awesome too.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Grondoth posted:

That's twice in this thread now that something incredibly stupid has been linked and the page hosting it thinks it's cool and good.
From the homepage of Racial Holy War's hosting site:

Par for the course.

Requisite batshit slogan:

:psyduck:

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Sep 9, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

From the homepage of Racial Holy War's hosting site:

Par for the course.

Requisite batshit slogan:

:psyduck:

That's a reference to the Rotherham child abuse scandal, where local authorities claimed that they failed to address a large Pakistani paedophile ring due (in part) to concerns over racial sensitivity. I should probably mention, though, that this turned out to be something of an excuse to cover up collaboration between the authorities and the gang, because the British government has rarely met a child abuse case they didn't want to get in on at the ground floor.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Has anyone addressed Jim Goad as yet? A proud shitlord (and Taki's Mag contributor) who can at least actually write, some of the time. Nydwracu is a huge fan, particularly of The Redneck Manifesto. Which I haven't read, but I did read Answer Me! back when it first came out. Enjoyed it in the way I enjoyed edgelordery when that sort of thing was work to get hold of. I'm not sure Nyd has read Answer Me, but he might be less than impressed at Jim's whining about how evil his parents were for not sending him to art school 'cos they couldn't afford to subsidise him even with a partial scholarship. I also recall Goad showing up on alt.tasteless in 1995 and, ah, crashing and burning in front of his fans. How embarrassing.

As far as I understand the thesis of Redneck Manifesto without reading it, it goes:

1. In America, it's class divisions that make the difference.
2. Poor whites are put down by the rich elites.
3. Therefore there is no such thing as white privilege, racism doesn't real and anyone complaining about racism doesn't real.
4. Therefore GO WHITES!! Poor ones I mean, though the rich ones at Taki's are fine too.

Though if anyone who suffered through it can enlighten us, then dandy!

divabot has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Sep 9, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Night10194 posted:

Read a 40k thread and you'll see people say it's all justified, Hard Men Making Hard Choices is super in with general nerd culture right now and it's awful.

I think this is the whole appeal of a show like The Walking Dead? Nerds like it when strong men who are portrayed as the good guys have to do bad things. I think nerds love how logical and rational they can be, and they absolutely love when someone goes "that's horrible" and they get to go "It's the right thing to do just because you couldn't cut it :smuggo:"

I think maybe they like that kind of fiction because it presents them with justifiable situations to exercise their sociopathy.

I used to watcha dumb videogame youtube channel (I know, gently caress me) called Videogames Awesome (I know, I know) and the main dude in it, Fraser, was completely emblematic of this mindset. In telltale games or moral choice games he would always love picking the most obviously immoral choice then justifying it to himself. I had to stop watching because he was such an rear end in a top hat.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

I think maybe they like that kind of fiction because it presents them with justifiable situations to exercise their sociopathy.
This message has been in the zombie genre from the beginning. In Night of the Living Dead, Ben, the black protagonist, is "mistaken" for a zombie by the white posse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hirvox posted:

This message has been in the zombie genre from the beginning. In Night of the Living Dead, Ben, the black protagonist, is "mistaken" for a zombie by the white posse.

Right, but NOTLD presented that as a bad thing, not a regrettably necessary one.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The World Church of the Creator are still around? I thought they lost their trademarks and disappeared.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Woolie Wool posted:

The World Church of the Creator are still around? I thought they lost their trademarks and disappeared.
That was the Aryan Nations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a reference to the Rotherham child abuse scandal, where local authorities claimed that they failed to address a large Pakistani paedophile ring due (in part) to concerns over racial sensitivity. I should probably mention, though, that this turned out to be something of an excuse to cover up collaboration between the authorities and the gang, because the British government has rarely met a child abuse case they didn't want to get in on at the ground floor.

If you were worried Scott has some dumbass comments about it http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/10/16/five-case-studies-on-politicization/

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

I really love that one; some heredist, scientific racist, and general right-wing person got worked up about a far-right cause célèbre, and thats the only point where she was political, because scientific racism isn't political, just like, you know, Arthur Jensen never intended to be political when he suggested policies which nixed educational interventions, because black kids were too dumb to be helped. And yes, Rushton was also apolitical in he received funding from the Pioneer Fund, all in order to pursue scientific racist research.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but NOTLD presented that as a bad thing, not a regrettably necessary one.
Yeah, Romero's zombie films always seemed to present this hard-choice gung-ho machismo situations as being basically no better than the zombies.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Some more theoretical nerdology:

Nerds are averse to living culture because of its social and contextual nature, they fear the missed joke, the irony that escapes them, the feeling of an unspoken thing everyone in the room understands but them. However, nerds will eagerly consume dead culture. The primary constituent of nerd media is dead culture. Old jokes, old aesthetics, old styles, from 1930s fantasy to 1940s newsreels to 1950s sci-fi, 1980s music, and 1990s anime, nerds collect and recombine all that is Old. The bastion of arch-nerdery :tvtropes: defines "zeerust" as sci-fi that is actually more about the past than the future. Zeerust is not an accident, it is built into most sci-fi by design and is its primary appeal. Sci-fi is almost always about a future that is old. The singularity is very old, it was the subject of an Emerson, Lake, and Palmer song in 1973! Orion's Arm is a world of 10000 AD made from dead pop culture--anime based on the 80s and 90s, furries who watch the same cartoons their grandfathers did as children, Objectivism, television space opera from the 60s and 70s, old cyberpunk, the list goes on.

Everything square gets gathered up and chopped into signifiers to make nerd media. Video games, for all their technology, are almost universally old in substance and built on signifiers of things whose cultural life cycle ended decades ago. Gamers are frightened by games with contemporary themes, they are tools of the SJWs to break into the treehouse.

Please excuse me if this post is a bit rambling and badly formatted, I typed.it on a mobile phone.

Addendum: take war shooters as another example. Some people say they are commentaries on America's recent military misadventures, but their source material for themes and imagery mostly go back to WWII and Vietnam War propaganda combined with 1980s action movie blockbusters. Spec Ops: The Line had the courage to be a real War on Terror commentary and got pilloried for it by angry nerds who were offended by the intrusion of the living world of human society into their mausoleum.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Sep 9, 2015

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Heresiarch posted:

What happened to 40k is what happened to a lot of old kitschy franchises (Dr. Who being the one that first comes to mind), it's currently being run by people who were first exposed to it as children or young adults and they insist on taking it all seriously.

This is probably analogous to some important concept in developmental psychology and there might be a study or paper in their somewhere.

nah, media/cultural-studies.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

IndustrialApe posted:

Whoa now, don't drag your filthy liberal arts into this clean discussion of the sciences.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Everything square gets gathered up and chopped into signifiers to make nerd media. Video games, for all their technology, are almost universally old in substance and built on signifiers of things whose cultural life cycle ended decades ago. Gamers are frightened by games with contemporary themes, they are tools of the SJWs to break into the treehouse.

You never hear them complaining about something like Kentucky Route Zero, though, because it's got a male dev team.

Or maybe they do but it just gets drowned by all of the "lesbian walking simulator" noise.

quote:

Addendum: take war shooters as another example. Some people say they are commentaries on America's recent military misadventures, but their source material for themes and imagery mostly go back to WWII and Vietnam War propaganda combined with 1980s action movie blockbusters. Spec Ops: The Line had the courage to be a real War on Terror commentary and got pilloried for it by angry nerds who were offended by the intrusion of the living world of human society into their mausoleum.

I am literally unable to enjoy military shootygames anymore, even as bullshit brainless escapism, and it's pretty much SO:TL's fault. I don't know if the Errant Signal guy has any really awful opinions I haven't run into yet but his piece on SO:TL is really good, and so are a lot of his other videos. He actually appears to know what he's talking about, and there's a few videos where he says "okay I was completely full of poo poo in this earlier video, sorry" which is refreshing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBrenhzMZI

This piece is also pretty good.

IndustrialApe posted:

You're probably correct.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

You never hear them complaining about something like Kentucky Route Zero, though, because it's got a male dev team.

Or maybe they do but it just gets drowned by all of the "lesbian walking simulator" noise.

Well this is all a big untested hypothesis so I could very well be talking out of my rear end. :shobon:

I've thought of playing Spec Ops for myself, but I've read so many of the articles and seen so many videos about it, I feel like it's already ruined for me. When you already know all the important plot twists and the central message, what's the point? :effort:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I've thought of playing Spec Ops for myself, but I've read so many of the articles and seen so many videos about it, I feel like it's already ruined for me. When you already know all the important plot twists and the central message, what's the point? :effort:

Yeah, if you know everything about it already there's no point, unless you just want to see the scenes for yourself. All I knew when I started was that it had a "big twist" and had Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now references. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Well this is all a big untested hypothesis so I could very well be talking out of my rear end. :shobon:

It's a pretty remarkable, evocative work of art, with a rad soundtrack and an amazing nightmarescape of a setting. Playing it is the sort of visceral experience that isn't easily replicated, despite how mechanically standard a third-person shooter it is (still, that execution mechanic and the way you're coaxed into it :stare:).