Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Yeah but this was already possible and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKxkZiNWaBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are there any video essays in the vein of those "the problem with action movies today" videos that highlight good and bad uses of Voiceover in films.

VO generally gets a bad wrap as a storytelling device and I always feel a bit dirty that a ton of my favorite movies have voiceover. I'm looking for something that highlights the difference between good and bad VO.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

xcore posted:

Are there any video essays in the vein of those "the problem with action movies today" videos that highlight good and bad uses of Voiceover in films.

VO generally gets a bad wrap as a storytelling device and I always feel a bit dirty that a ton of my favorite movies have voiceover. I'm looking for something that highlights the difference between good and bad VO.

Really? Most films I think of with considerable use of voice overs are excellent. Sure, there's some turkeys like the theatrical cut of Blade Runner and The Creeping Terror, but then there's Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, The Royal Tenenbaums, Double Indemnity, Ratatouille, The Tree of Life, Love and Death, etc.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Usually when voiceover is bad it's because it was added in post because some exec was worried that people wouldn't understand the film if they werent told what the film is about by a voiceover and instead had to actually watch it. When the film is written with voiceover in mind it obviously works better than when it's crammed in to make everything idiot proof.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like you can't talk about voice-overs in film and not mention "Stranger Than Fiction".

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Everyone I know who's seen Family Business with Dustin Hoffman, Sean Connery and Matthew Broderick thought it was mediocre. Most people I know have never heard of it. I thought it was good fun and engaging even with all the stereotypes being thrown around. Am I totally out to lunch?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I offered to help my father-in-law with a new class he's teaching "The bible and film."
He's a pretty lefty professor at a religious university, and when he gave me the short-list of movies he was thinking of using I offered to help find more, as he's a bible scholar who really likes movies and I'm the son of an ex-preacher who LOVES movies.

His only request was that I avoid films that are straight up adapations of the bible. He's really hoping to give his students an assigned movie and then telling them to find the biblical messages, or how they relate back to the bible in some way.

I managed to put together what I thought was a decent list that crossed over several genres and decades, but I'm hoping you folks can help me add to it.

This is what I have so far:

Shawshank Redemption
The Matrix (Even though 2 and 3 have more overt Christian themes the first one does that neat mix of eastern meets western philosophy. Also it doesn't suck.)
The Lion King
The Seventh Seal
Eraserhead
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Superman (Reeves plus both reboots really.)
Three Kings
The Truman Show

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Eraser Head is such a polarizing and dense film on its own that trying to use it in a class about the Bible and Film would be counter-productive.

Elysium (Jesus allegory, the meek shall in herit etc)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Aslan is Jesus)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just for fun, throw in one movie that has no allegorical aspects and just let the students puzzle it out. Suggestion: Josie and the Pussycats

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Manifest posted:

I offered to help my father-in-law with a new class he's teaching "The bible and film."
He's a pretty lefty professor at a religious university, and when he gave me the short-list of movies he was thinking of using I offered to help find more, as he's a bible scholar who really likes movies and I'm the son of an ex-preacher who LOVES movies.

His only request was that I avoid films that are straight up adapations of the bible. He's really hoping to give his students an assigned movie and then telling them to find the biblical messages, or how they relate back to the bible in some way.

I managed to put together what I thought was a decent list that crossed over several genres and decades, but I'm hoping you folks can help me add to it.

Shawshank Redemption
The Matrix (Even though 2 and 3 have more overt Christian themes the first one does that neat mix of eastern meets western philosophy. Also it doesn't suck.)
The Lion King
The Seventh Seal
Eraserhead
Three Kings
The Truman Show
Ben Hur has a couple scenes from the Bible in it (I think the main character sees the sermon on the mount) but is largely its own thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There Will Be Blood

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Manifest posted:

Stalker
Come and See
Hellraiser
The Last Temptation of Christ
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Pale Rider
Through a Glass Darkly
Winter Light
The Silence
The Rapture
The Word AKA Ordet
Viridiana

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Manifest posted:

Shawshank Redemption
The Lion King
The Seventh Seal
Eraserhead
Three Kings
The Truman Show

Blade Runner?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Jesus, are you guys who were so offended and appalled by the immorality of Mrs. Doubtfire and Forrest Gump also those people who are disgusted by Ferris Bueller's Day Off's celebration of an obvious manipulative sociopath?

I'm hoping you're all just taking playful potshots at movies that are too saccharine for your tastes because otherwise I'm not sure how you all are able to walk with such huge sticks shoved so far up your asses.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Snak posted:

I feel like Eraser Head is such a polarizing and dense film on its own that trying to use it in a class about the Bible and Film would be counter-productive.
Yeah but it's one of my favorite movies and the whole "sins of the father" thing is solid gold. Also I love the idea of a bunch of kids at a Christian university watching it.

quote:

YES

therattle posted:

There Will Be Blood

YESSSSSSS

Zogo posted:

Stalker
Come and See
Hellraiser
The Last Temptation of Christ
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Pale Rider
Through a Glass Darkly
Winter Light
The Silence
The Rapture
The Word AKA Ordet
Viridiana

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Thanks. I'm gonna clean the list up and mail it over to him. You guys were super helpful.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Snak posted:

I feel like this almost breaks the 'avoid straight up adaptations' rule

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

victorious posted:

I feel like this almost breaks the 'avoid straight up adaptations' rule

He's got a phd in the Old Testament, reads or speaks Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Korean and English.
This is the one movie I am 100% sure he knows is about Jesus. I gave it to him anyway though. Maybe extra credit for the slow kid or something.

Oh poo poo! Barton Fink!

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Manifest posted:

A Serious Man.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
Where the hell is Robocop on that list?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mister Kingdom posted:

Blade Runner?

Tron!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Tron: Legacy does a pretty good God & Satan story.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Terminator 2 is the ultimate film about Jesus. :colbert:

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
Tree of Life?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Picking up on last page's Forrest Gump chat, does anyone feel that the romance in the movie would have a very different meaning to them if the Forrest character was a woman and Jenny was a man?

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
I mean, pretty much any romance would have a very different meaning if the genders were switched, but, er, elaborate?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

marblize posted:

I mean, pretty much any romance would have a very different meaning if the genders were switched, but, er, elaborate?

It seems a hell of a lot skeezier of you have a normal functioning guy seduce a developmentally disabled girl.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

lizardman posted:

Jesus, are you guys who were so offended and appalled by the immorality of Mrs. Doubtfire and Forrest Gump also those people who are disgusted by Ferris Bueller's Day Off's celebration of an obvious manipulative sociopath?

I'm hoping you're all just taking playful potshots at movies that are too saccharine for your tastes because otherwise I'm not sure how you all are able to walk with such huge sticks shoved so far up your asses.

Forrest Gump is satire, even if it's pretty drat subtle compared to its perception as a drama.

Ferris Bueller is wish fulfillment for high schoolers. No father would pose as their children's nanny unless they were mentally ill. For gently caress's sake, Robin Williams' character tries to poison his ex-wife's boyfriend. Even as much of a poo poo Ferris is, he didn't try to murder someone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tom Hanks also gets wrapped up in this with Big. He, a twelve-year old boy, fucks Elizabeth Perkins. Whereas Jennifer Garner never does more than kiss Mark Ruffalo in 13 Going on 30.

In the actual context of the movie, though, I can't see it as an issue. Forrest served in the loving Vietnam War. He's earned the right to consent to being seduced by Robin Wright.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Children of loving Men

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Skwirl posted:

It seems a hell of a lot skeezier of you have a normal functioning guy seduce a developmentally disabled girl.

I've asked a few people that question outside of the forums and this seems to be the usual response.

I mean it's pretty universally recognized that you shouldn't have a sexual relationship with someone who has a mental handicap.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Tom Hanks also gets wrapped up in this with Big. He, a twelve-year old boy, fucks Elizabeth Perkins. Whereas Jennifer Garner never does more than kiss Mark Ruffalo in 13 Going on 30.

In the actual context of the movie, though, I can't see it as an issue. Forrest served in the loving Vietnam War. He's earned the right to consent to being seduced by Robin Wright.

Yeah, watching Big and realizing that makes the last act really creepy. I would hope it was just sloppy writing rather than deliberate.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

There's no real way to reverse the sexes and have the story be the same, though. Because what happens in Forrest Gump is that the non-disabled person is the one that gets pregnant.

I mean, you could do a really interesting story where a developmentally disabled girl gets pregnant and has a kid but for some reason isn't interested in raising it and goes off to have her own adventures while the father raises it alone. But that's still not a reversal.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

cheerfullydrab posted:

I mean it's pretty universally recognized that you shouldn't have a sexual relationship with someone who has a mental handicap.

Ohhhhh, wait, are you getting into "double standard!!" territory?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Forrest Gump is satire, even if it's pretty drat subtle compared to its perception as a drama.

Ferris Bueller is wish fulfillment for high schoolers. No father would pose as their children's nanny unless they were mentally ill. For gently caress's sake, Robin Williams' character tries to poison his ex-wife's boyfriend. Even as much of a poo poo Ferris is, he didn't try to murder someone.

Pierce Brosnan says he's allergic to pepper, not that he's fatally allergic to it. I suppose you could say feeding someone a food that will make them have a reaction is poisoning, but it's not like he feed him arsenic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snak posted:

I mean, you could do a really interesting story where a developmentally disabled girl gets pregnant and has a kid but for some reason isn't interested in raising it and goes off to have her own adventures while the father raises it alone.

Could it be directed by Todd Solondz? I'd watch that!

marblize posted:

Ohhhhh, wait, are you getting into "double standard!!" territory?

Oh dear God no. I think that Forrest Gump is one of those movies that's so ingrained in the culture that it's hard for us to think about it critically, and the point of asking people about the genderswapped hypothetical is not to get into that shitswamp but to kind of take people out of their usual feelings and ideas about that movie. Like I said, most people I've asked think a normal Forrest and a handicapped Jenny makes their skin crawl. I don't think that's due to any "double standard!!!" but due to the fact that it is actually creepy as it is.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Children of loving Men

I wanted to recommend it, but didn't because I never saw biblical allegory in it.
Tell me why I'm an idiot.

marblize posted:

Tree of Life?

Niiiice

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If I Am Sam can get boinked and make a baby, Forrest Gump can too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Manifest posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Thanks. I'm gonna clean the list up and mail it over to him. You guys were super helpful.

Some more:

Constantine
The Song of Bernadette
Intolerance
Chariots of Fire
A Thief in the Night
A Man for All Seasons
Elmer Gantry
The Apostle
Flywheel
Fireproof
Quo Vadis

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Favorite "Jesus" movie: The Omega Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Armyman25 posted:

Pierce Brosnan says he's allergic to pepper, not that he's fatally allergic to it. I suppose you could say feeding someone a food that will make them have a reaction is poisoning, but it's not like he feed him arsenic.

It's his own fault for ordering loving Gumbo or whatever