Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just got Metal Gear Solid V. Got any good tips and things to look out for?

EDIT: Yeah, should have just checked the previous page. Sorry for asking! :sweatdrop:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 5, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Starhawk64 posted:

Just got Metal Gear Solid V. Got any good tips and things to look out for?

Yeah my tip is to read the last page.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something to add to MGSV;

You can't complete all the objectives on some missions on your first attempt. Some require tools you won't acquire until much, much, later on like the Cargo Fulton.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't complete all the objectives on some missions on your first attempt. Some require tools you won't acquire until much, much, later on like the Cargo Fulton.

Not necessarily. If one of the objectives is 'acquire the armored truck...' you can still accomplish that by being in it when you drive out of the hot zone. Any vehicles you're in will get auto-picked-up.

It'd just be magnitudes easier later on.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Stelas posted:

Not necessarily. If one of the objectives is 'acquire the armored truck...' you can still accomplish that by being in it when you drive out of the hot zone. Any vehicles you're in will get auto-picked-up.

I think there's a few that require multiple vehicle extractions or cargo container extraction. If it is just one vehicle though, you can GTA it as long as it's unoccupied.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stelas posted:

Some of them require things like extract 20 child soldiers, and you cant Fulton them until much later in the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I wanna play Grimrock 2. Do I need to care about matching races to classes or can I just do whatever I want?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

More MGS5 stuff

A lot of people have trouble holding up guards on console because of the sensitivity involved. For a surefire, never-get-seen method just crawl up to a guard and attack them while crawling to sweep out their legs. Point your gun and they're automatically neutralized. Nobody will see you or question why someone took a nosedive.

At each major location is an orange cargo dock with a shipping manifest you can pick up. This is your fast travel and the game never tells you about it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
MGS5: Boxes are super versatile, like you can put posters on them, leave them around as a decoy, but you can also stand up in them, run, and then hit the dive button and slide around in it or sled down hills. I don't know what the tactical application of this is but it's fun to do.

Also there are cracks in cliff-sides and maybe buildings you can climb that are easily missed that tend to make for good shortcuts.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

The White Dragon posted:

I wanna play Grimrock 2. Do I need to care about matching races to classes or can I just do whatever I want?
I'm still going through it, but it doesn't seem like 2 points one way or the other is going to screw you over. You can totally use lizardmen for everything and get away with it, but a ratling berserker would be behind the curve for a long while.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The White Dragon posted:

It doesn't really matter, of course common sense tells you that Minotaurs with their high Strength are better at hitting things than casting spells but ultimately it's not going to make or break characters. Having as much variety as possible is preferable, of course.

One semi-hidden thing about races that isn't a huge deal but helps to know is that some get permanent stat ups when you feed enough food of a certain type to them. Specifically, feeding Horned Fruits to Insectoids, Turtle Eggs to Lizardmen and pieces of Cheese to Ratlings will every now and then give them an increase to a random attribute.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Brightman posted:

MGS5: Boxes are super versatile, like you can put posters on them, leave them around as a decoy, but you can also stand up in them, run, and then hit the dive button and slide around in it or sled down hills. I don't know what the tactical application of this is but it's fun to do.

Also there are cracks in cliff-sides and maybe buildings you can climb that are easily missed that tend to make for good shortcuts.

Cracks can be seen with the help of the NVGs. Just watch out for bright lights when using them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brightman posted:

Diving/sliding knocks out guards. It's got pretty good range even on a flat surface so you can run straight at a guard and slide into them before entering their hearing range.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sentient Toaster posted:

I'm still going through it, but it doesn't seem like 2 points one way or the other is going to screw you over. You can totally use lizardmen for everything and get away with it, but a ratling berserker would be behind the curve for a long while.

Kanfy posted:

It doesn't really matter, of course common sense tells you that Minotaurs with their high Strength are better at hitting things than casting spells but ultimately it's not going to make or break characters. Having as much variety as possible is preferable, of course.

One semi-hidden thing about races that isn't a huge deal but helps to know is that some get permanent stat ups when you feed enough food of a certain type to them. Specifically, feeding Horned Fruits to Insectoids, Turtle Eggs to Lizardmen and pieces of Cheese to Ratlings will every now and then give them an increase to a random attribute.

Cool, thanks. So are the resources limited or could I in theory get like infinite cheese? :v:

Are there foods for Minotaurs and Humans, too? I like everything except for I dunno probably Insectoids.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

The White Dragon posted:

Cool, thanks. So are the resources limited or could I in theory get like infinite cheese? :v:

Are there foods for Minotaurs and Humans, too? I like everything except for I dunno probably Insectoids.

Food as a resource is either infinite or effectively close to it, but the foods Kanfy mentioned don't seem to be included in that. The good news is there's the farmer class, which gains experience by eating that effectively infinite food. I guess the point is food is something you don't need to plan around unless you're doing some freaky farmer party run.

Here's a good one for the wiki:
-Spoil the game's spell list for yourself. Otherwise it will be a very long time until you figure out things such as the fact that putting skill points in water magic won't allow you to cast water spells. Other skills are required in addition. See: http://legendofgrimrock.com/index.php?id=93&site=2

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Grimrock 2 is a good game but really what determines how easy or difficult of a time you have is how well you can kite/attack, the character stats are way at the back.

The other important thing is being able to make potions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The White Dragon posted:

I don't think so, Minotaurs can grab a Trait that gets them +1 Strength for every skull you carry though. Humans don't have anything special going for them except faster exp gain.

Also if you haven't played the first Grimrock, the most important thing is to keep a close eye for hidden switches and buttons on walls. Those games have a huge amount of secrets and hidden goodies with a lot of them behind hidden switches and while most are reasonably easy to spot once you know what to look for, there's one or two are that pretty devilishly hidden.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Generally speaking, if a hallway looks like it should continue there's probably a hidden switch somewhere.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

juliuspringle posted:

Does Enemy Unknown ALWAYS shove you at the next mission when you finish a mission?

:xcom:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Without spoiling anything plotwise as I've never played either what should I know for Max Payne 3 and Far Cry 3?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Without spoiling anything plotwise as I've never played either what should I know for Max Payne 3 and Far Cry 3?

Ignore the characters, dialogue and everything even tangentially related to the plot. Apart from whatever that crazy antagonist is called. He's ok.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Ignore the characters, dialogue and everything even tangentially related to the plot. Apart from whatever that crazy antagonist is called. He's ok.

Should I read the plot of the earlier Far Cry games or does 3 do it's own thing plotwise?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Each Far Cry is standalone. With 3, don't go crazy on side stuff right away. You don't have to avoid it, but you get a very nice tool after you reach the second island, so you'll want to focus on the main missions until then.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Should I read the plot of the earlier Far Cry games or does 3 do it's own thing plotwise?

It's standalone. Apart from that it's a kinda generic Ubi open-world collectathon. I didn't find the bow too useful, but others did. Just gently caress around and advance the plot when you want to.

If you take over outposts, random patrols disappear which lessens the fun/ randomness a bit, but not too much. You can get some really OP weapons if you do the collection quests, which is fun, and you get some cool gear on the way to the second island, but the second island sucks as far as location and fun.

If you want to capture an outpost easily, look for animals in cages and shoot the lock off. Beware of those bird things whose name escape me.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

juliuspringle posted:

If you find a tv playing a latin american soap opera it's worth it to watch it for a bit in MP3.

Do side stuff in FC3 to unlock poo poo you want, like if you get annoyed with only carrying 1 or 2 weapons and want to get more holsters, hunt down whatever animal it is you need to craft more. I'm pretty sure this is spelled out in the crafting menu, it is in 4 at least, so just poke around in there.

Overall I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to screw yourself in those games. If you like playing FC3 and like the 80s, then get Blood Dragon.

Edit: Far Cry 3 has a wiki entry, there's a few things that you can screw yourself out of that I forgot about mentioned in the last point.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of the most important early upgrades is the loot rucksack, since you're going to run out of room in your bag pretty quickly. Unfortunately, you need boar skins for the first upgrade and they're hard to come by early in the game. Unless you swim to the small island in the upper-right corner of the map, where a lot of them spawn. You can do this after clearing the first outpost.

Get the "harvest double plants" upgrade as soon as you can. Abuse the poo poo out of hunting syringes.

Never buy guns. Ever. You'll get them all for free when you find them or clear towers.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 9, 2015

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Don't worry about stealth capturing every outpost. There are enough of them that getting enough stealth outposts for whatever skill is attached to it should never be locked out. A couple of outposts should clear themselves just from a random tiger or bear stumbling upon it while you are around. Be aware the same thing can happen to you. I played through it a couple of times and at least once early on I was ambushed and eaten by a tiger out of nowhere while scoping out an outpost.

One of the early rewards for some collectibles is the recipe for a syringe that gives you complete invincibility for 20 seconds. Always keep a couple of those on you at all times. There is nothing that compares to strapping some C4 to the front of a car, using the syringe while you drive it into an outpost, blowing the car up with you inside, then setting the loving place on fire with a flamethrower while laughing.

Crafting better gear is really important. I would do the hunting quests first chance you get.

Mind the alligators.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone have anything for Nobunaga's Ambition (the modern Steam version if it matters). I think I'd like it, if I could figure out why some officers are only available for some tasks, and how to tell what I can attack, and so forth.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evil Mastermind posted:

Never buy guys.

Guns. Never buy guns. Buy guys if that's your thing, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Pagan Min. Wait FC3, not FC4. So that's Vaas.

juliuspringle posted:

Like others have said, they're completely standalone.

FC3 in particular has a really good open-world shooting/driving/swimming engine but a pretty awful story. Its probably worth doing the guided tour thing once, but honestly its a much better game if you install the mod that just unlocks everything at the outset, and then run around shooting people, capturing bases, unlocking guns, and then resetting the bases to capture them again.

You know FC4 is already out, right? Oh well, its not like its much better anyways, same difference.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Pagan Min. Wait FC3, not FC4. So that's Vaas.

Like others have said, they're completely standalone.

FC3 in particular has a really good open-world shooting/driving/swimming engine but a pretty awful story. Its probably worth doing the guided tour thing once, but honestly its a much better game if you install the mod that just unlocks everything at the outset, and then run around shooting people, capturing bases, unlocking guns, and then resetting the bases to capture them again.

You know FC4 is already out, right? Oh well, its not like its much better anyways, same difference.

Far Cry 3 complete or ultimate or whichever is $14.99 on Playstation Store right now as opposed to $40 or $50 or whichever 4 is (I'm not checking) I've never FINISHED a Far Cry game (I found the first one to be really slow) so I figured I'd grab 3 and if I liked it I'd get 4 eventually since I'd heard they are similar.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

juliuspringle posted:

Far Cry 3 complete or ultimate or whichever is $14.99 on Playstation Store right now as opposed to $40 or $50 or whichever 4 is (I'm not checking) I've never FINISHED a Far Cry game (I found the first one to be really slow) so I figured I'd grab 3 and if I liked it I'd get 4 eventually since I'd heard they are similar.

they are the same game in different locations with more toys in 4.

like if there weren't mountains in the 4 skybox you could easily get confused which one you are playing.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Resident Evil 1 HD on PC

I've never played a Resident Evil game before. I'm more comfortable with mouse+keyboard generally, but I do have a PS3 controller I could use if that would be recommended for this type of game. The wiki says the controller controls are bad though so I don't know.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone have anything for Nobunaga's Ambition (the modern Steam version if it matters). I think I'd like it, if I could figure out why some officers are only available for some tasks, and how to tell what I can attack, and so forth.

Every castle needs an Overseer to do Development, once you max a base you will get that guy back. You can always take them off of the task if you need to use them for something else. You also cannot use officers that are currently out of the castle. Always have 2+ officers for any castle that borders an enemy base.

You can deploy your troops to any castle, I recommend you attack those that are flagged as Normal, Wary, Hostile, or Unresponsive. For you to capture them, they have to be bordered with your own territory. Alternatively, you can attack just about anyone on the map as long as you have enough supplies (your troops will have x amount of supplies when you deploy them).

General tips:

-When starting out: Crops are more important than Crafts, Crafts are more important than Conscripts. Work on Conscripts when things start to slow down when upgrading those above two. Ignore the AI suggestions.

-North Japan is a bad place to be.

-Roads are extremely important. Surround your castles with level 3+ roads.

-Popularity is important as it increases everything and maxes the amount of troops you can conscript. Crops also spur popularity and the conscript cap. You can abuse the early game by focusing on building up crop upgrades or buildings with popularity bonuses.

-If you're next to a hostile, make sure your border bases have a lord with high Leadership and an officer with high Vitality.

-You can assign the AI to micromanage and feed resources. For example you can have your AI conquer from one side of the map, while you fight on the other end, and assign your inner castles to feed resources.

-If you're assigning AI regency and roles, make sure you edit them to fit your needs as they will go on the prowl. Removing them of control will piss them off.

-Loyalty is an early to midgame issue that can be only be fixed by appointing your officers to Castle Lords, marrying them, giving them gifts, appointing them as regent, or giving them ranks.

-To gain ranks, send a diplomate to the shogun, once at 100 Trust, you can buy a rank. These start at 3k and doubles each time you purchase more ranks. These give you passive bonuses and eventually you can start handing these out to your officers.

-If you're in a position where you have to accept Vassalage, your game is about to get much harder. Breaking your oath is going to turn the whole map hostile, and you're basically going to be paying a daimyo the right to exist.

-You can break the game wide open with the CAW system. You can get a historical victory even with your own created troops as long as they remain loyal to you.

-Guns/Christianity unlock naturally over time due to ingame events. Churches are good investments.

-Executing captured officers is frowned upon and is viewed as Tyrannical; this only alters your endings. For comedy play on the final scenario and execute all officers you capture that don't join you. It'll be a barren wasteland in no time with nothing but a handful of old men and the game trying to repopulate at a rate that can't keep up.

-Enacting Policies is where your Conservative and Progressive traits matter. Buildings will add to either as well as what policy you currently have in-place. Every policy has a monthly rate tied to it based on total population. Suggestion Box is a safe policy for early growth. Pick a trait, stick with it, tell the AI to shut up.

-Pony up to tribes so they can assist in combat. They have a built-in range to your target, once they stop sending reinforcements, it's safe to absorb them into your population for a flat bonus.

-Build Fortresses if you have a surplus population of officers. It just adds another castle town, nothing too major.

-Focus on your Capital's Castle (they have a big highlight circle) more so than the smaller Castle Towns. Late game you're going to be up to your nose in castles, so micromanaging the capitals and not the castle towns should be your major concern. Make sure the capitals have gun smiths and churches. The AI is very bad about building long term investments and will build poo poo that helps for a single battle / spur of the moment situation. Be wary of this.

-Use Cat icons.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 8, 2015

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

For far cry 3, if you're wanting to collect all the money boxes, be aware that your wallet has a limit and you'll eventually run out of things to waste money on. I remember having to shoot off all my ammo at random poo poo only to buy more ammo to waste so I could fit more money in my wallet. It was a right pain in the arse and I don't know why I bothered, but there you go.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Bag of Milk posted:

Resident Evil 1 HD on PC

I've never played a Resident Evil game before. I'm more comfortable with mouse+keyboard generally, but I do have a PS3 controller I could use if that would be recommended for this type of game. The wiki says the controller controls are bad though so I don't know.

I've only played Resident Evil on consoles so I can't imagine the original games translating as well to mouse/keyboard. You have two control options, the original tank controls and updated 360 degree movement. You definitely should use a controller and set it to the latter as the original controls are a huge turnoff to new people.

Play as the character you like (Chris has more health, Jill has more powerful weapons) and avoid combat when you can. Resources are tight early game, enemies are bullet sponges to the starting pistol, and the default zombie is easily avoided by running around or putting a couple shots until it falls down. Definitely limit zombie kills in hallways and transit areas. If you absolutely must kill a zombie and its head is intact then burn the body.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I never thought I would live to see the day when Nobunaga's Ambition made a triumphant comeback

Now someone remake Bandit Kings of Ancient China, the game that I felt like I should have loved and played forever except I literally never understood anything that was going on. Killer box art too.

Wait

What thread is this again

Sort of related to Farcrychat, is this the kind of series where all the games are the same? Or is that just 3 and 4? Like should you only ever play the most recent Far Cry if you are going to play one? That sort of counts as "what should I know before I play" right

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Far Cry is by Crytek and an original level based shooter. Far Cry 2/3/4 are pretty much the same game in new locations and they always improve upon the originals. So yeah, if you must play one then go with 4. Or Blood Dragon which is modern Far Cry condensed into a nonsense 80s cyber hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Guns. Never buy guns. Buy guys if that's your thing, though.

:doh: Yeah, this. For what it's worth, it also applies to Far Cry 4.