Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Truga posted:

Or just ignore cleric stance completely and have the primary damage stat be the same as the primary heal stat on the class and let a guy dps without the clunky stance crap. :shrug:

Yes, I'm still bitter about lustrate :v:

Cleric Stance serves an important function: it ups the skill cap required to successfully DPS by forcing you to constantly evaluate your group's situation before dropping into Cleric to DPS. If I could just blurt out DoTs and Shadowflares and Lustrate/ET Adlo at the same time, it'd remove a great deal of the mastery needed to successfully DPS and heal in the majority of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We were able to lustrate before HW in Cleric. The world didn't end.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yeah we know, you lazy baby. The world still hasn't ended now that you can't.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I swear to god FFXIV isnt the first time I've seen a Cleric Stance mechanic but it's definitely handled exceptionally well in FFXIV

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rei_ posted:

ffxiv healing classes are loaded with a lot of 'fire and forget' actions that let them do other poo poo, as we all know most healers use this time to vape, but sometimes they use it to DPS too

When I WHM I generally toss a medica II, regen the tank, then switch to cleric stance and go to town. Unless it's a particularly hard fight, that's often enough for the entire thing :v:

And SCH you just throw up adlo and let your fairy do poo poo for you.

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe that's my problem. That's how I have my hotbars set up (healing on 1, dps on another).

I need to find a solution.

There's some adjustments I still want to make, but waiting for 60 to play with it a bit more, but the basic structure is there:

I have an MMO keypad kind of thing where the there's two rows, 1-6 and 6-11, so 7 is particularly easy to hit (as is 6). Since there's more buttons involved with DPSing and let's be real I'll be doing that most of the time, I have the primary dots on 1-2-3, with cleric stance at 6 which is really easy for me to hit. 4 is always my stun/cleanse and that works well here so I stick with it. SCH is interesting that it only has two main healing abilities, the spammable one being on 5 which is easy to hit and the important one to not gently caress up with the shield on the easy-to-hit 7.

Since aetherflow abilities aren't going to be spammed but need easy access, they're on the control 1-4, and all my mages have swiftcast on ctrl+5, and with the raise at alt 5 it's super easy to chain.

I kind of want to shuffle around the lesser DPS ones, the current best single hit spam I have at 8, but Miasma II is almost worthless so I'm thinking of swapping that with Ruin II or something. And there's poo poo like emergency tactics being crammed wherever I can put them, so while my shift bar is generally poo poo I never use more than every half hour or so, shift-4 isn't hard to hit. I might revise that a bit to offload some less used abilities (Miasma II) but we'll see.

The main thing is, after grinding for hours, if I have to spam abilities on modifiers my hands loving hurt, so most of this is optimized for comfort, then kind of loosely based off of the pattern of my other classes.

Hope it gives you some ideas, even if some of my layout is pretty unique to my keyboard/setup.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Megaflare posted:

Yeah we know, you lazy baby. The world still hasn't ended now that you can't.

You seem triggered.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Also, Lustrate changes were a net buff at any reasonable level of gear, and a nerf if you're entering content with a VIT tank who way outgears you. It might heal for a bit less on vit-geared tanks, but it's a much stronger emergency button on anyone else, and it actually scales with your gear.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

nuru posted:

You seem triggered.

Good one.

quote:

SCH is interesting that it only has two main healing abilities,

This isn't really that different from the others. All of them have more dps abilities to use regularly than healing so it's always made sense to me to put them around 1-4. All of my single target heals are on some variation of Q and Q+modifier.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I wasn't intending to get back into the Cleric/Lustrate debate again (nor am I lazy, I enjoy stance dancing), but I don't agree that the change really changed the skill ceiling in any meaningful way. Fairy micro was always the big difference, not dumping lustrates.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
It will be a cold day in hell before I DPS in EXDR/Alexander as WHM.

So what. Fight me. :colbert:

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Priss In Plate posted:

It will be a cold day in hell before I DPS in EXDR/Alexander as WHM.

So what. Fight me. :colbert:

I like this attitude. You can play the game however you want, but announcing that you're being an obstinate child on an internet forum to try to get a rise out of others just comes off as pathetic.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Wacky theory time: I kind of think that the training grounds thing might be a way for them to axe classes once and for all, or at least, remove all the extra data. If they make clearing the training ground a requirement to be that job, it consolidates character flags thus lowering the character data file size. Like maybe you have to go to the training grounds to be cleared to switch to a job at all, and you can do them at literally any point, as the training grounds put you in a uniform set of equipment and give you access to all the skills. New characters/jobs have to do it to level past 29.9 on that job, but can get it done anytime before then. Jobless 30+ when the patch hits are stuck at 29.9 until they complete it (and their previous level is restored), and those who already have the job are heavily incentivized for doing it, perhaps even by introducing a new skill or trait you can only get by completing it.

This would have to be combined with a major overhaul in how crossclassing works, possibly even removing the feature to crossclass almost any crossclassable ability on any class, so that there's no longer really separate data, client or serverside, for job vs class. Hitting 30 or finishing the training grounds at 29.9 just gives a cool animation with YOU HAVE UNLEASHED THE SOUL OF JOBNAME or something. Arcanist is axed, with carbuncles being a glamor option, but there's some wacky aethermind bond or some poo poo between Summoner and Scholar, so you get double or quadruple the armory bonus for playing the one you don't have to max yet.

This way they could leave the cutscenes more or less untouched, with the training grounds providing some lore excuse for all of this changing and maybe at most retroactively putting in a few lines or intro/outro CS about spiritbinding with your soulstone or something that completes upon hitting 30. Also they could like not bother with levelling up into job from class at all, and you just start as job, and now you go to, say, the pugilist guild to learn your fundamentals. There's so many options :psyduck:

I know whatever they do or don't will happen in time but the class/job system's need for reduction in pointless complexity is such a fascinating mess to untangle I can't help but think about it.

Megaflare posted:

Good one.

This isn't really that different from the others. All of them have more dps abilities to use regularly than healing so it's always made sense to me to put them around 1-4. All of my single target heals are on some variation of Q and Q+modifier.

I use more healing spells more frequently even when mainly DPSing as whm. I have Cure 1 and 2 on 1 and 2 with 3 as whatever the best available Stone spell is, and the dots on the right side/second row of keys, with medica II and regen on 7 and 8. It just flows differently, with dps more centered around spamming stone/holy than keeping up and spreading dots like SCH.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 8, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Source your quotes please, I can only tell it's the OF when Rick Perry posts.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I love that the new "Dive bomb" is now "pass the debuff" for hard mode encounters. Can't wait to see what the next round of savage alex has in regards to that. :suicide:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Holyshoot posted:

I love that the new "Dive bomb" is now "pass the debuff" for hard mode encounters. Can't wait to see what the next round of savage alex has in regards to that. :suicide:

If only it wasn't so drat finicky. I'd like to be able to just run through the target but it's not reliable. Instead one person has to stop, the passer has to move and stop on them and wait for the debuff to actually pass, and then and only then can you move on. Trying to speed the process up risks you missing the tick where the debuff actually passes, and you still have to act like the debuff might get passed if you brush up against another character when moving around because sometimes it still does - just not reliably.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
If you don't like being the top dps in any AOE pull as WHM then I just don't know what to tell you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sarrisan posted:

If you don't like being the top dps in any AOE pull as WHM then I just don't know what to tell you.

Scholars can do that while healing. :smug:

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
How can anyone look at the effects for Holy or Gravity and decide "no I don't want to cast that one"?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Once I got gravity I made it my life's mission to get the killing blow on absolutely every boss I could with it. It looks and sounds so loving rad.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Boten Anna posted:

Also they could like not bother with levelling up into job from class at all, and you just start as job, and now you go to, say, the pugilist guild to learn your fundamentals. There's so many options :psyduck:

I kinda hope they keep the Job/Class distinction cosmetically, if not internally, because I like the whole "Promote to a more advanced Job" thing.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Hey all, our static Cat Simulator needs a DPS and/or subs for Tanks and Healers. We meet Wednesday and Thursday at 7 PST-10PST. We're currently at progression A1S, seeing jumps regularly and even surviving sometimes. If ya wanna try and come with, post in our thread http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27496 or message me (The Associate) or Lady Gaga in game and we'll add you to the LS.

Now back to your regularly scheduled argument about VIT/STR accessories.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'd love to do raids but as a show of commitment all of your members will have to transfer to cactuar where my character is at

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

DolphinCop posted:

i'd love to do raids but as a show of commitment all of your members will have to transfer to cactuar where my character is at

We could maybe chip in like $3 each and transfer you to Excal where you should have been the whole time.

Dekar
Feb 17, 2011

I stack VIT and Parry. I don't DPS on my PLD. So I better see you holy spamming/cleric stance because I won't lose that much health and that allows my healers to DPS instead.

U mad?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
So, I was testing with a friend trying to see how Sheltron interacts with old tankbusters, and we found something super weird: For Nael's third Ravensclaw, where there's an autoattack in between the cast and the Ravensbeak hitting.. Sheltron seems to be blocking both, with 2 fade messages.

Anyone have any idea why that might be?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Niton posted:

So, I was testing with a friend trying to see how Sheltron interacts with old tankbusters, and we found something super weird: For Nael's third Ravensclaw, where there's an autoattack in between the cast and the Ravensbeak hitting.. Sheltron seems to be blocking both, with 2 fade messages.

Have you tested it multiple times to see if it's just a lucky block after? If not, the only real explanation is that it's sending two hits in the same packet, for whatever reason.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Niton posted:

the presence of only one mp restored message is making me think there's some clientside vs serverside fuckery happening with the buff but without more data i can't really make any better guesses

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

it is not unheard of to block two things in a row

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Vermain posted:

Have you tested it multiple times to see if it's just a lucky block after? If not, the only real explanation is that it's sending two hits in the same packet, for whatever reason.

All 3 times, both hits were blocked, and we got double messages 2 out of the 3 times. It's super weird and we don't have a better explanation than "this might be really lucky AND the combat log is being weird".

I'm gonna bother another friend later to do more tests, since it's not really feasible to get to that solo.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Niton posted:

All 3 times, both hits were blocked, and we got double messages 2 out of the 3 times. It's super weird and we don't have a better explanation than "this might be really lucky AND the combat log is being weird".

I'm gonna bother another friend later to do more tests, since it's not really feasible to get to that solo.

Well, considering how players are jumping through the Nisi spheres at the end of A4S to trigger two of them when it's very obvious that just one is intended to kill you, it might be a lag thing and since both attacks are coming out when Sheltron is up, both are getting blocked by Sheltron.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I kinda hope they keep the Job/Class distinction cosmetically, if not internally, because I like the whole "Promote to a more advanced Job" thing.

It's kind of a cute idea, and would make for a less severe retcon, though this should come with some changes for new players so they know wtf they're choosing. Like the creation menu says, for example, "Pugilist (Monk)" and "Thaumaturge (Black Mage)"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sylphie's story just hit me right in "the feels". :smith:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boten Anna posted:

Hope it gives you some ideas, even if some of my layout is pretty unique to my keyboard/setup.

I appreciate this post, and I think it may help me with an issue I have with playing SCH, namely that there's so many tools on the swiss army knife of a job SCH is.

I've had it set up with 1-0 for healing, ctrl 1-0 for damage, shift 1-0 for "other" like aetherflow abilities, swiftcast, and summons. That's fine for dps classes, with them I know what I'm gonna use next so my hands naturally move to where they need to be, but with SCH it's much more reactive so I need to do a lot of split second movements to use certain abilities. This kinda layout tweaked a bit for me seems like it'll be way more comfortable to play with.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Are those of you binding 7-0 using some sort of gamer mouse, or do you have unnaturally huge hands?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
She said right off the top that she has a special MMO gamepad that has all the numbers in stacked rows above each other.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

Are those of you binding 7-0 using some sort of gamer mouse, or do you have unnaturally huge hands?

You can lift a hand, the game isn't that fast paced.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mostly use the 8-0 keys for pvp actions and stuff I really rarely use, like sprint. Plus like hobbesmaster said, 2.5 seconds is a decent amount of time to do the hand movements anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I use them for a ton of stuff, but I also click about half my buttons with my mousepointer.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I use them for a ton of stuff, but I also click about half my buttons with my mousepointer.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why can no one remember how to do the slime boss in coperbell mines??? :psyduck:

• Locked thread