Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait a minute, how can that machine read Ford's mind if he has a metal plate in his head?

I assume the only function of the metal plate is to give Ford a false sense of security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I was very upset by the concept of stopping an encryption half way through.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Ford was lost for about 30 years. In other units, a bill-ion seconds :v:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I was very upset by the concept of stopping an encryption half way through.

I would have loved it if someone on the writing staff was techy enough to notice that.

"Dipper are you sure you're OK?"

"For the last time I'm fine! Now, how does this whole eating procedure work again?"

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 8, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait a minute, how can that machine read Ford's mind if he has a metal plate in his head?

They're encrypting with rot-13.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

johntfs posted:

The end sequence with Bill has been mentioned, but I thought the cooler, creepier moment with him was that "Don't have a heart attack, you're not 92 yet."
If a transdimensional being told me that I was gonna die of a heart attack at age 92 I'd feel pretty good about it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If Bill could see the future with 100% accuracy, he'd never lose, because he'd see ahead of time what schemes would fail, and just not do them.

Presumably dying of a heart attack at 92 is what would have happened to Ford if Bill had never interfered.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

If Bill could see the future with 100% accuracy, he'd never lose, because he'd see ahead of time what schemes would fail, and just not do them.
I'm not sure if it's a matter of Bill seeing the future so much as he's some sort of 4th-dimensional being who probably exists in all points of time simultaneously.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Bill does a whole lot of things just to be creepy, of course.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Tunicate posted:

They're encrypting with rot-13.

hmm. maybe they should rot-13 twice just to be sure

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DolphinCop posted:

hmm. maybe they should rot-13 twice just to be sure

Fool, you have to pick a work factor k and then do 2k iterations

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

If a transdimensional being told me that I was gonna die of a heart attack at age 92 I'd feel pretty good about it.

Yeah, but that transdimensional being is Cipher Bill. Who knows if he's lying or maybe just telling part of the truth. "You'll die of a heart attack at the age of 92 but you'll spend the years between the portal opening and then as my good buddy Hastur's gently caress puppet."

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

The whole end of the world thing is a smokescreen for a bank heist eons in the making. The show will end with the world being saved but Bill walking away with a suitcase full of cash.

BUY GOLD!

Slime posted:

I wonder if all the symbols in that image are the symbols of people who have been involved with Bill in the past, like the ring that shows symbols for Dipper, Mabel, both Stans, Soos etc.

I think that's exactly what's going on and I love the idea of Bill just weaving his plans around ultimately small groups of people to horrendous effect throughout time.

Something that's seemed curious to me for a while; in the sock puppet episode wasn't Bill out to destroy Stanford's work? I want to say the episode explicitly stated he wanted to destroy the journals but it could just be that I was left with the impression that he was out to erase Stanford's research because he blew up the laptop and wanted the journals for unclear reasons (at the time). I should really rewatch that now that Bill is a bigger deal.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 9, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Anybody have a screenshot of the horse with a traffic cone?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The voice reminded me of the raisins episode of clone high unicorn.

Half donkey, and half uni-bird.

Man I hope your father wasn't the unicorn.

(Sweet, I wasn't the only one who thought that!)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's a very good machine.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

bbf2 posted:

I'm assuming they're trying to tell us that Bill can't enter the shack at all....even if he possesses someone outside of it and tries to make them walk inside, it wouldn't work (either they would be blocked from entering or the possession would be lifted).

So if that's the case, Bill's best plan of action is to possess someone who is close to one of the tertiary non-Pines people who work at the shack, and then convince that other person to go inside and grab the rift snowglobe and bring it to him. (saying something along the lines of "Oh, I have a snowglobe that I accidentally left there last time I visited, could you get it back for me next time you're at work?")

Calling it now: The person Bill chooses to possess will be Soos's abuela.

No, it will be Pacifica Northwest who gets him that globe. She's sort of friendly with the twins and her parents worship Bill in some fashion. I'm not sure if she will be possessed herself, and the twins will surrender the rift to rescue her, or if her parents will be possessed and she will enter the Shack looking for it to get them back. But she's the lynchpin for the endgame.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I really like this show, and I really like Jason Ritter and Kristen Schaal as Dipper and Mabel, but sometimes I wish they'd gotten voice actors who were a little younger or more in touch with their inner children, especially for Dipper. Maybe it's more the writers than the actors, but Dipper sometimes has a lot more insight, self-awareness and abstract thought capacity that most 12 year olds I know. On the show you're supposed to think "Aw, Dipper, Wendy's way too old for you right now." I had moments of thinking "Why is this Little Person in his mid to late twenties crushing on Wendy? She's way too young for him."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

johntfs posted:

I really like this show, and I really like Jason Ritter and Kristen Schaal as Dipper and Mabel, but sometimes I wish they'd gotten voice actors who were a little younger or more in touch with their inner children, especially for Dipper. Maybe it's more the writers than the actors, but Dipper sometimes has a lot more insight, self-awareness and abstract thought capacity that most 12 year olds I know. On the show you're supposed to think "Aw, Dipper, Wendy's way too old for you right now." I had moments of thinking "Why is this Little Person in his mid to late twenties crushing on Wendy? She's way too young for him."

Children are smart and you are dumb.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

johntfs posted:

Dipper's voice is a bit older than it perhaps should be, but I cannot imagine anyone other than Kristen Schaal as Mable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

johntfs posted:

Maybe it's more the writers than the actors, but Dipper sometimes has a lot more insight, self-awareness and abstract thought capacity that most 12 year olds I know.
I think you underestimate 12 year olds.
Moreover, while not all 12 year olds do have much insight, self-awareness and abstract thought, drat near all 12-year-olds think they do.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Here you go:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Colonial Air Force posted:

Edit: Should've refreshed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

"If I cross my legs maybe noone will notice"

It's amazing what you can slip past censors if you really try,
"That red bathing suit, wow."

Also "Abolish electoral college" being on Mabel's good deed list.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umYJ3Icb8-c

Emmy C posted:

Was asked to come up with some funny ways for Mabel to be doing good deeds to redeem herself in the episode The Last Mabelcorn. The montage had to be largely cut, but the gag with Toby and the tree made it into the episode. yay

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

johntfs posted:

The end sequence with Bill has been mentioned, but I thought the cooler, creepier moment with him was that "Don't have a heart attack, you're not 92 yet."

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, I thought that that was the point. He was trying to butter up Ford to get him to trust him and do what he said, saying that he lived to 92 was just a way of sucking up to him like saying that he was going to change the world and was the most important person in 100 years.

cptn_dr posted:

I will never, ever get sick of those gags.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Hey. Hey. What about that picture Dipper started to lift the cover off of in Ford's lab before he was stopped? Huh?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

That looks to be a very editable and very exploitable image.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's possible that Ford will have a heart attack at 92, but that doesn't grantee that Ford will actually live to 92 or that he'll die from the heart attack that he has at that age.

Or maybe, like other people have said, Bill was just lying.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

El Tortuga posted:

Hey. Hey. What about that picture Dipper started to lift the cover off of in Ford's lab before he was stopped? Huh?

Prrrrobably foreshadowing for that bit later on where all that Bill paraphernalia gets uncovered?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

SomeIdiot posted:

Prrrrobably foreshadowing for that bit later on where all that Bill paraphernalia gets uncovered?

Oh. Well that's all I got.

Though I am still racking my brain trying to figure out what the last symbols on that wheel mean.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's possible that Ford will have a heart attack at 92, but that doesn't grantee that Ford will actually live to 92

How in the world would Ford have a heart attack at 92 if he didn't live to be 92?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Heart preserved in a sci-fi jar.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Given that Alex may have based Wendy on Lauren Faust, this was probably a subtle mock of mlp.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's Markie.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CuwiKhons posted:

How in the world would Ford have a heart attack at 92 if he didn't live to be 92?

If he makes it to 92 he'll have a heart attack at that age, if he doesn't he won't.

So he's scheduled for a heart attack at age 92, but only if he lives that long.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If he makes it to 92 he'll have a heart attack at that age, if he doesn't he won't.

So he's scheduled for a heart attack at age 92, but only if he lives that long.

What if Bill has the Death Note?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I was rewatching Carpet Diem because it's one of my favorite episodes.

Oh yeah, and there's a Bill Crystal Pyramid on one of the hidden room's tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Laputanmachine posted:

What if Bill has the Death Note?

What if Bill is the transdimensional version of Rick Sanchez?

• Locked thread