Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Same, I missed the spectranthemum on my quick glance through. It's an elven flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ah, right, via Botania. That explains why I had no idea how to do that. You could also teleport the items in using a TE teleporter plate too.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Honestly Pure crystals isn't really that much of a deal other than how clunky it is to pick up stuff in your inventory and throw it out to "craft" stuff, either the fluix or the pure stuff. The real frustration for me is the imprinters. Frustration that would be vastly reduced if they could hold a stack greater than one.

I always feed mine with hoppers, although the Steve's Factory manager block allows you to completely automate the imprinters (depending if it is in your pack)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nothing i have ever read about AE2 has made me ever want to try it out in the slightest

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

I'm pretty sure they had an idea in mind where you have 6 accelerators around one water block and insert and remove crystals from there.

on the Blightfall thread didnt someone say it was Hopperhocks to pull the finished items out?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Carados posted:

There's a really good AE2 mod that adds Advanced Inscribers or whatever they're called that can hold stacks and I think (?) automatically switch to the correct press and then combine, and a crystal growth chamber block that's 6 of them that you can pipe in and out of.

It rocks.
What mod is this, because I want to toss it into certain other blighty modpacks.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Vib Rib posted:

What mod is this, because I want to toss it into certain other blighty modpacks.
AE2Stuff

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

HUD thingy to track which modules/keys are active/toggled etc. kinda janky but it works.

More importantly, this means I can finally get rid of the placeholder chat spam.

p.s. I am an ableist rear end in a top hat with no option for RG colourblind people

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 8, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
oooooh is that modular power suits

it looks preeetty

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
So Botania just got updated with a new method of mana generation:

It turns these:

Into this:

The flower itself affects a 25x25 block radius around it and when it receives a redstone signal will trigger all cellular blocks in it's range to process through Conway's Game of Life.
If the redstone signal is terminated, it will pause at that current generation and resume where it left off when it receives another.
If a cell reaches the 3x3 killzone around the flower then they are consumed and converted into mana, the older a cell is the more mana it generates, all cells die on the board at generation 60.
If the cell is age zero(meaning just created) it will generate no mana, and if any age zero cells are created in a 5x5 area around the flower they die off as well.

The above mana pool was done with a bone dry flower and Gaia spreader, took two stacks of cactus for cell creation, and ran in just over three and a half minutes. My design is by no means the most efficient method(Hell, it's just two acorns facing each other) but dear god this thing is fun and infuriating to tinker around with.

I like this because it reminds me a bit of RFTools power gen setup with the Endergenic Generator, where you have to get all the timings correct on how long a block is going to hold an ender pearl before punting it off to the next one before it decays in order to get the most bang for your buck.
Also generating mana through squiggly moving plant blocks owns bones.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
A great alternative to fooling around with chests, ducts, filters, and what not for processors, is just putting up a script like this (courtesy of Taffer).

At least it makes for easier automation, and a less cluttered work environment.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TyreForHyre posted:

So Botania just got updated with a new method of mana generation:

It turns these:

Into this:

The flower itself affects a 25x25 block radius around it and when it receives a redstone signal will trigger all cellular blocks in it's range to process through Conway's Game of Life.
If the redstone signal is terminated, it will pause at that current generation and resume where it left off when it receives another.
If a cell reaches the 3x3 killzone around the flower then they are consumed and converted into mana, the older a cell is the more mana it generates, all cells die on the board at generation 60.
If the cell is age zero(meaning just created) it will generate no mana, and if any age zero cells are created in a 5x5 area around the flower they die off as well.

The above mana pool was done with a bone dry flower and Gaia spreader, took two stacks of cactus for cell creation, and ran in just over three and a half minutes. My design is by no means the most efficient method(Hell, it's just two acorns facing each other) but dear god this thing is fun and infuriating to tinker around with.

I like this because it reminds me a bit of RFTools power gen setup with the Endergenic Generator, where you have to get all the timings correct on how long a block is going to hold an ender pearl before punting it off to the next one before it decays in order to get the most bang for your buck.
Also generating mana through squiggly moving plant blocks owns bones.

This looks insane and cool. I'm confused as to how the cell ages work when cells don't technically "move" in GoL, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nolanar posted:

This looks insane and cool. I'm confused as to how the cell ages work when cells don't technically "move" in GoL, though.

cells created by only having 3 adjacent cells inherit the age of their progenitors

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Optimal setups are going to be glider guns shooting directly at the flower. This is neat, Botania remains awesome.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

Optimal setups are going to be glider guns shooting directly at the flower. This is neat, Botania remains awesome.

25x25 isn't enough room to make a glider gun :smithfrog:

e: also the age limit on cells means your glider gun parts would die horribly after 60 steps

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 8, 2015

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Glory of Arioch posted:

25x25 isn't enough room to make a glider gun :smithfrog:

e: also the age limit on cells means your glider gun parts would die horribly after 60 steps

This was my exact thought process, and probably exactly why the space and time limits exist. So what to do then? Just build gliders manually in the corners? Make something stupidly chaotic out of as few cells as possible?

I'm super excited we're finally sticking Conway's Game of Life into a Minecraft Mod. We're rapidly approaching a square-based spergularity.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Shame. Well then, I guess a bunch of 2x2 square patches at the corners of the 3x3 kill zone are going to be optimal. Every other step it's going to generate a stable shape and the three that remain will stay live until the 60th step, giving increased mana as time steps forward.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

You can't start with any cells in a 5x5 square around the flower. They get destroyed if they're age 0 apparently. Gotta figure out a way to make those squares on the fly.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Oops!

http://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-3943

I'm curious to see whether this was intentional or not. Certainly breaks the hell out of modpacks for anyone using that infernal Curse Voice thing.

edit:(by the way, the fix for this is to just erase the launcher_profiles.json file in the install directory and allow the installer/game to rebuild it.)

EricFate fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 8, 2015

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
The big thing to making this as efficient as possible I think is in the ability to pause the board state at any generation, and alter the board with regular building blocks to funnel things where you need them, and then letting it run again.
Which I suppose would mean using gliders as your setup, and aiming them in a fashion so they synthesis those stable block stills in just the precise location.
My head...

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 8, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
If you have two of these with the zones butting up against each other, will the blocks from one move into the other and remain viable? Maybe you could make a glider gun doing something like that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

If you have two of these with the zones butting up against each other, will the blocks from one move into the other and remain viable? Maybe you could make a glider gun doing something like that.

nope

Lexica Botania posted:

A few other restrictions apply to cells, having two different Dandelifeon flowers affect the same cell will kill it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You can make the glider guns stable with Rannuncarpuses replacing the gun parts whenever they die

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 8, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

at that point wouldn't it be better to just have a rannucarpus place new gliders

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I feel like you'd have better material efficiency if you're replacing the gun every 60 generations than if you're constantly placing the gliders and using up your mats every couple generations instead of every 60

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i think it's sort of a moot point anyways because a glider gun doesn't fit inside of a 25x25 square with the center being a kill zone

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
So I just got back into Minecraft and have been playing around with Tekkit. I noticed that the stage 3 Galacticraft rocket isn't available yet, and was wondering when they would update it. How often do they update Tekkit? Thanks. :)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EricFate posted:

Oops!

http://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-3943

I'm curious to see whether this was intentional or not. Certainly breaks the hell out of modpacks for anyone using that infernal Curse Voice thing.

edit:(by the way, the fix for this is to just erase the launcher_profiles.json file in the install directory and allow the installer/game to rebuild it.)

It apparently wasn't intentional at all and a fix is already being worked on/implemented.

Also, I use Curse Voice for my own single-player custom modpack. Once I bludgeoned it into not asking for my social media stuff, it works quite well, making it very easy to build and keep a custom modpack up to date.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Can anyone recommend any good hosting services? I want to play through some Technic packs with my girlfriend, so it'd probably be fairly heavily modded minecraft, but with only the two of us, maybe a friend or two on occasion. We've tried doing LAN and direct connect between the two of us but it tends to be buggy and frustrating and I'd rather just pay for a server for us.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Akliz seems to be the one big sponsor of Technic and the one everyone uses. There are others of course, idk if they'd be cheaper or better.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is the most compact livingwood/rock system I've been able to design, and also the fastest, because it has no timing delays. It uses nothing but AE2 and a pure daisy, and requires no redstone.

It requires for the smallest design:

2 formation planes
2 annihilation planes
1 import bus
1 interface
1 storage bus
1 quartz fiber

Annihilation planes can't be configured, but you can fool them by putting them on a subnetwork that has no storage of its own, then use a configured storage bus to prevent them from picking up anything except what you want them to. The storage bus on the interface is configured to only allow livingrock and livingwood.

On the underside are formation planes. This can be expanded, but for this I only have two, one set to stone and one set to logs. You can also see the quartz fiber that separates this from the main network, which the interface is a part of.

It's a little difficult to see, but this is the import bus connected to the interface that supplies the formation planes with the blocks they need.

And finally, this is the interface gui, supplying stone and logs that allows the interface to get those items from the main network (without any configuration).

This setup will pick up livingwood/rock on the same tick that it forms, and if you accelerate the import bus it'll lay down new blocks on the following tick. It can be made as big as you like (as channels allow) but I don't need a huge supply and since this is running forever I just used 1 of each.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is there any way to make a redstone pulse happen when a specific block is detected in a location? If you can, you could use that to stuff the livingwood/rock into the annihilation plane and add more production without using more channels.

Clairetic posted:

Akliz seems to be the one big sponsor of Technic and the one everyone uses. There are others of course, idk if they'd be cheaper or better.

Works for me! Thank you

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 9, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Is there any way to make a redstone pulse happen when a specific block is detected in a location? If you can, you could use that to stuff the livingwood/rock into the annihilation plane and add more production without using more channels.

you can use a bud switch to detect when the stone/wood turns into livingrock|wood (though it'll also fire when the base material is placed)

or you can use the fact that it always takes 60 seconds after the block has been placed for it to convert

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah the easiest way I can think of would be to just have an automagy hourglass tick every 65 seconds, although I agree the specific block thing would be super convenient.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the way i usually automate livingrock/wood production is to use a gaia spreader with a bore/warp/potency combo (mana prism applies the third) that shoots on a 2 minute timer and ricochets around inside of the business areas of two pure daisies

i use two because this means there are 16 done at once, and a corporea funnel can, conveniently, be tweaked to crap out 16 of an item at once for a rannucarpus to place

two minutes means the rannucarpus has time to do what it does, it can be a little slow sometimes

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ah this was what I set up

Magres posted:

I made a thing! Stole the design from someone but whatever Botania is hard

It places stone and wood and picks up livingstone and livingwood 35 seconds later. The Pure Daisies are Overgrowth Seeded cause we have a million. The timing is done with a programmable redstone thing that was a loving nightmare to figure out because I don't do circuits, but was worth it because I find vanilla redstone to be spectacularly hideous.

The way it works is the Rannuncarpuses (Rannuncarpi?) place the stone and wood, and the two mana spreaders are redstone mana spreaders with composite bore magnetic lenses, so the shots curve into the pools, breaking the offset block on the far side (ie if it shot straight you'd only get 4 blocks per daisy instead of 5. Hopperhocks grab stuff, and a pair of open crates that self-limit with pressure plates drop wood and stone for the Rannuncarpi. It's not the most efficient thing in the world, but it produces materials at a reasonable clip and, more importantly (when it comes to Botania), it's pretty! The extra mana pools are so the hopperhocks and rannuncapi don't burn mana moving items around, and there's two because symmetry pleases me.

Bore+Magnetization lenses are really cool!

We later upgraded the servos to Resonant servos so they could drop stacks of 5 and it made the Rannuns work so much faster that I was able to lower the timer to ~22 seconds. Huuuge boost to production rate

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I was bored at work and wrote a quick script to evaluate Dandelifeon setups. And I think I found a good starting thing:

code:
-CCC
C---
C---
---F
F is the flower, C are the 5 starting cells, dashes are air. The shape is a grandparent of R-pentomino, which is famous for generating pure chaos for over a thousand generations before stablizing.

Over the 60 generations we get, this should "eat" 39 cells, with an average age-at-consumption of 42 generations, including 2 at generation 60. I'll try it out when I get home to see if my script is wrong.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm really excited to see what things people come up with for manipulated Dandelifeon setups. I think there will be some awesome fire-and-forget setups (like what Nolanar just posted) and some completely and utterly off the wall setups with block placement and pushing. Imo Vazkii knocked it out of the park with the new update, the Dandelifeon is suuuuuch a cool idea.

Like my immediate idea for a Botania+Vanilla only scheme that would keep itself rolling would be 5 hopper+opencrates w/ pistons blocking, a Rannuncarpus, a hopper timer, and marking blocks to make it replicate the r-pentomino grandparent Nolanar posted once every 60 generations. Depending on how quickly generations evolve (it looked like it was one or two a second, they moved at a good clip) you have your timer pulse the pistons shut for half a second (ie long enough to each drop one cell) and turn off the Dandelifeon for a second, which should be long enough for the Rannuncarpus to deploy blocks, then resume the Dandelifeon operation. Assuming a one step per second rate on the Dandelifeon and 5 hopper+opencrate setups, you could stash enough cells for a few hours operation, which is a pretty solid buffer. Given any way to extract items from chests, you could fill a set of double chests with cell blocks and be good to go for multiple days operation.

I haven't played with it at all yet, what's the recipe for the new cell blocks? Making the entire thing self-sustaining would be very cool.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 9, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

I haven't played with it at all yet, what's the recipe for the new cell blocks? Making the entire thing self-sustaining would be very cool.

4 cactus makes 3 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
The Dandelifon thing only effects the cells on a flat plane around it, right?

Because if so...