Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There's a major bubble going on. In NZ people won't sell unless they get their money back or the bank forces them to sell. So the prices stay elevated. However if there's a major property collapse it would be crippling.

Currently the property bubble is fed by investors fleeing stock markets and putting the money into "safe" investments like property. All this cheap money being pumped into the economy via property has to push prices up. At the expense of anyone who wants to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Delta-Wye posted:

The German university system might be free, buy it's not well set up to serve the needs of a lazy American who just 'kept letting things happen and kept taking the path of least resistance.'

My guess is she hasn't even glanced at what it takes to get into a physics program there. Research and knowledge = resistance.

:doh:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Keep the Mary updates coming.

Several months ago I posted the text from a similar GoFundMe from an acquaintance, although to be honest yours is slightly better. Lots of commonalities, though: Someone who has never proven that they can stick with things or make responsible decisions, asking for $10k+ because I guess that seemed like a good, round number. No timeline or milestones. No budget. No explanation of any work or sacrifice up to this point. Just, "Can I have some money?"

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Easychair Bootson posted:

Keep the Mary updates coming.

Several months ago I posted the text from a similar GoFundMe from an acquaintance, although to be honest yours is slightly better. Lots of commonalities, though: Someone who has never proven that they can stick with things or make responsible decisions, asking for $10k+ because I guess that seemed like a good, round number. No timeline or milestones. No budget. No explanation of any work or sacrifice up to this point. Just, "Can I have some money?"
I find it so strange that a lot of people crap on street beggars and deride them with "Why don't you get a job??" but there isn't much vocalized annoyance with well-fed people, not-homeless people starting really bizarre GoFundMe's that amount to nothing more than a thinly-veiled scams, or straight up requests for big hand-outs.

And this even happened before crowdfunding became popular, but they just didn't have this giant online platform to do it with. I worked at an office a long time ago and this really strange co-worker of ours (who later got fired for calling a co-worker "a friend of the family") interrupted a break room conversation, pounded on the table loudly and announced, "Attention attention! I'm really hoping to attend the the Liberal Party convention in British Columbia. So I'll be taking donations to help fund this trip. Thanks, everyone!" then promptly shook a cup in front of everyone's faces. Not a single person "donated", but no one really denounced it or said that it was inappropriate, either. But now that things like IndieGoGo and GoFundMe exist, all of these wackos have come out of the woodwork. Like these guys.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 7, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Medical bills of $5k lets ask for $50k. They seem like arseholes. You have to admit crowd funding has provided a lot of entertainment though.

I like the idea of heading to Germany to learn physics. You don't just have to learn a language but you have to learn technical language. If you've done anything in the field you should at least be into translating German research papers as the resources should be there in the university library.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Medical bills of $5k lets ask for $50k. They seem like arseholes. You have to admit crowd funding has provided a lot of entertainment though.

I like the idea of heading to Germany to learn physics. You don't just have to learn a language but you have to learn technical language. If you've done anything in the field you should at least be into translating German research papers as the resources should be there in the university library.

Most of the programmes, at least in the STEM subjects, are taught in English.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

melon cat posted:

I find it so strange that a lot of people crap on street beggars and deride them with "Why don't you get a job??" but there isn't much vocalized annoyance with well-fed people, not-homeless people starting really bizarre GoFundMe's that amount to nothing more than a thinly-veiled scams, or straight up requests for big hand-outs.
People do deride them. Not to their face though, which is the same as deriding panhandlers. It probably doesn't come up as much right now because it's still kind of a new thing whereas panhandlers are everywhere and have been around a long time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Devian666 posted:

"Destination education" was highlighted in some newspaper a few months back. Basically all German universities are free to attend, for natives and foreigners, and everything is taught in English. The economists did the math and figured that they needed about half of the foreign students to stay in the country to get a gig with a German company to subsidized/"pay back" their free tuition. When considering stuff like student loans being explicitly unforgivable if you declare bankruptcy, a German education is an extremely savvy decision to make. The whole setup is basically an inverse of the American university system (charge Indian, Chinese, etc students an arm and a leg to go to a State University).

That said, it's not really applicable since the woman in question is without a doubt Bad With Money.

e: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

melon cat posted:

The posts above yours are people being vocally annoyed with GoFundMe campaigns.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So the classes are taught in English and the professors are world class, but unless all the universities there are boondoggled with expensive amateur athletics programs that only turn a profit in less than 2% of schools it's not the same as the All-American University Experience.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Phone posted:

Basically all German universities are free to attend, for natives and foreigners, and everything is taught in English.
I don't think this is true. Some programs are taught in English, but I think that's actually a small minority of total college programs.

edit: D&D German thread confirms: vast majority of courses taught in German.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 8, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't re-read the article before I posted; the article seems to indicate that there's a push for masters level courses to be taught primarily in English.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
The degree and stuff will be nice but you can't practically earn it without speaking German and German companies will have a high expectation of written and spoken fluency if you want any work experience while you're there. Doing a master's after an American bachelor's degree might be different but from ground zero it would be very tough.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The degree and stuff will be nice but you can't practically earn it without speaking German and German companies will have a high expectation of written and spoken fluency if you want any work experience while you're there. Doing a master's after an American bachelor's degree might be different but from ground zero it would be very tough.
Are you basing this on any experience working in Germany? Because I've heard that enough business is done in English in STEM fields that you can get a job in Germany with fluency in English but not German.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dik Hz posted:

Are you basing this on any experience working in Germany? Because I've heard that enough business is done in English in STEM fields that you can get a job in Germany with fluency in English but not German.
If someone spent five years in Germany doing a degree without managing to become near-fluent in German then I wouldn't hire them because they are clearly retarded.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

cowofwar posted:

If someone spent five years in Germany doing a degree without managing to become near-fluent in German then I wouldn't hire them because they are clearly retarded.
I wasn't necessarily talking about English speakers with German degrees. I've heard several friend-of-a-friend stories about people with US chemistry degrees being recruited to work for German companies even though they didn't speak any German. I've heard it limits their upward potential, but that they have no problems with day-to-day operations.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if anyone here has any direct experience, not because I'm advocating for or against any particular person going to Germany.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Dik Hz posted:

I wasn't necessarily talking about English speakers with German degrees. I've heard several friend-of-a-friend stories about people with US chemistry degrees being recruited to work for German companies even though they didn't speak any German. I've heard it limits their upward potential, but that they have no problems with day-to-day operations.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if anyone here has any direct experience, not because I'm advocating for or against any particular person going to Germany.

I spent a year working in a very technical field in Germany. All of the meetings and group work was in English, I had no problems showing up day one and not speaking any German. Most of the job postings in my field in Germany have English language requirements and then go on to state that they provide time and money to learn German.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I found a link on a lifehacker article that demonstrates some more ways to be bad with money based on actual data.

http://qz.com/482462/not-only-is-it...-earnings-drop/

The interactive graph allows you to see lifetime earnings based on an undergraduate degree and then the results of changing degree or getting a postgraduate degree. There are some beautiful combinations. With and engineering degree going on to get a Masters in Fine Arts gives a 17% drop in lifetime earnings.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Engineers completely oblivious to the art grads who take the engineer's spergy systems and put a UI/UX behind it so, you know, actual human beings can use the software. Yes, STEM only degrees for everyone forever so we can use Linux and command lines in every product.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 9, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

Engineers completely oblivious to the art grads who take the engineer's spergy systems and put a UI/UX behind it so, you know, actual human beings can use the software. Yes, STEM only degrees for everyone forever so we can use Linux and command lines in every product.

We need to bring everything back to the command line. There wasn't any space for a fancy UI when computers had between 1 to 5 kB of RAM. Even Bill Gates said we wouldn't ever need more that 640 kB so we should cut everything back. Think of it as decluttering our computers instead of digital hoarding.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/71871079/the-cultlike-rise-of-decluttering-is-it-healthy

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Blinkman987 posted:

Lmao at the thought of an art grad who even knows what "UI" stands for.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zo posted:

Unemployment Insurance?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Unemployment Insurance?

One local artist got art funding for his unemployment office project. He set up an office where they convinced anyone who visited about the benefits of being unemployed. It was a hilarious project and at least one MP got upset about it even though employment has economic and environmental benefits.

http://www.lettingspace.org.nz/tao-wells/

quote:

In addition Wells will be presenting as a performance accompaniment, the theatre show Inuit Time with actors and a script but no rehearsals. Inuit Time will run at Fred’s venue in Frederick St on Monday 18th October and Monday 25th (Labour Day) 7pm with a cover charge of $5.

It is no accident, says Wells, that on its debut, National Business Review theatre critic John Smythe called Inuit Time “An insult to the fundamentals of theatre”.

http://happyzine.co.nz/2010/10/15/art-project-promotes-unemployment-as-a-positive-choice/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Devian666 posted:

I found a link on a lifehacker article that demonstrates some more ways to be bad with money based on actual data.

http://qz.com/482462/not-only-is-it...-earnings-drop/

The interactive graph allows you to see lifetime earnings based on an undergraduate degree and then the results of changing degree or getting a postgraduate degree. There are some beautiful combinations. With and engineering degree going on to get a Masters in Fine Arts gives a 17% drop in lifetime earnings.

This is pretty neat. Going from a physical science undergrad to a MBA, which is what I'm doing, increases lifetime earnings by almost 80%.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Zo posted:

And I'm pretty sure you don't need a whole entire art degree to design a decent one. How much of a typical art curriculum would even be of any use in that area? I would imagine you'd be way better off going for computer science with a couple of basic art classes on the side.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Blinkman987 posted:

Literally every UI / UX person I know is an engineer. Having an engineering degree is by no means indicative of only being able to make spergy backends.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Unemployment Insurance?

:boom:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Unemployment Insurance?

Holy poo poo

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Unemployment Insurance?

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

That's like philosophy students claiming that physicists need a background in philosophy in order to be a good physicists. Yeah, no.
Some narrow fields, like cognitive psychology, are probably beneficial, but :lol: at the thought of an art degree being useful when designing a user interface.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Literally every UI / UX person I know is an engineer. Having an engineering degree is by no means indicative of only being able to make spergy backends.
Yeah, the UX guy my team works with writes little prototypes in HTML/CSS/JS to demo/test stuff. Personally I love working on UI-oriented parts of development.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CombatInformatiker posted:

That's like philosophy students claiming that physicists need a background in philosophy in order to be a good physicists. Yeah, no.
Some narrow fields, like cognitive psychology, are probably beneficial, but :lol: at the thought of an art degree being useful when designing a user interface.
What are you talking about? There are lots of arts grads that work in the user design field.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

How about this: being a well rounded individual with a wide knowledge base is often useful to your personal life and professional career.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

How about this: being a well rounded individual with a wide knowledge base is often useful to your personal life and professional career.

Nah, that's just a scam by Big College to bilk Americans out of an extra year of fees. :spergin:

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

cowofwar posted:

What are you talking about? There are lots of arts grads that work in the user design field.

I'm talking about user interfaces, as in "how do I design this window and its controls so that it's intuitive and efficient to use", not in the sense of making it aesthetically pleasing or giving it pretty pictures. The latter has its value, but it's not what this is about.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

In the most general, vague meaning of that statement, maybe. But then again, philosophy, literature, history, ancient Greek, or the performing arts are probably not in the top ten degrees that enhance your professional career, at least not when it comes to UI design (although some of them might be useful for your personal life).

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I mean it in the sense that it's a good idea for engineers to have a cursory understanding for the humanities, and a lawyer should have taken stats and chemistry at some point in college.

No one is going to be hurt by taking literature 101 our basic chemistry. In fact, I bet they benefit!

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm all for expanding one's horizon. What I'm saying is: Don't expect to be a better X by studying Y for all combinations of X and Y.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yes this conversion is about full degrees, not reading some poo poo up on wikipedia because you're curious about it - that's all cool. Real, actual statistics that show art degrees are worse than worthless if you already have a useful degree like engineering, since it actually decreases your overall lifetime earnings on average.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CombatInformatiker posted:

I'm talking about user interfaces, as in "how do I design this window and its controls so that it's intuitive and efficient to use", not in the sense of making it aesthetically pleasing or giving it pretty pictures. The latter has its value, but it's not what this is about.
Ah, I see, so what my friend does for a living with an arts degree as a consultant and who has had an offer from Microsoft.

I get it, arts are dumb hurrrrrr but not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zo posted:

Yes this conversion is about full degrees, not reading some poo poo up on wikipedia because you're curious about it - that's all cool. Real, actual statistics that show art degrees are worse than worthless if you already have a useful degree like engineering, since it actually decreases your overall lifetime earnings on average.

I understand this is specifically a money thread, but there are probably a litany of non-monetary reasons that people choose to pursue an art degree after an engineering degree and most of the people pursuing that course probably didn't chose it for the possibility of monetary reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
A STEM degree is useless if it makes you an insufferable twat who spends way too much energy bitching about the "arts", because this means you're probably a virgin and will die alone :shrug:.

The cool STEM people are people like my clients, who pay me a lot of money to write stuff for them, using all the nifty skills I learned getting my English Lit degree. However, being born in the US is pretty Bad With Money these days and poo poo is rough all over, degrees aside.

• Locked thread