Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What exactly happened to Mary's belly wound? I like the general concept of the chapter, but the last few panels have not made a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Radiochromatic posted:

Reading it over, I'm pretty curious how she managed to saw the active power cable with her clearly metal blade, and somehow NOT eat deadly amounts of electricity in the process. Hopefully, if anything comes of this, it'll be Allison ripping that camera off of Mary's head, and getting her locked up, since she straight up admitted to murdering people for the past two years.

Given how rough it appears, I'm guessing it's some sort of special blade.

Maybe broken off another superperson, like the cancer blade guy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I actually said "Aw, come on!" at that latest page.

Also, this is a petty gripe, but doesn't properly administered CPR break ribs?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

It can, but it won't necessarily. When I did a CPR training course, it was brought up as "this is something you need to be aware of," not that it's something guaranteed to happen.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
That's not CPR, that's just kicking the water out of her lungs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Unlucky7 posted:

I actually said "Aw, come on!" at that latest page.

Also, this is a petty gripe, but doesn't properly administered CPR break ribs?

it really shouldnt, properly applied it seperates the sternum from the rib cage which probably hurts a whole loving lot but its not meant to break ribs because you dont push on the ribs

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

jsoh posted:

it really shouldnt, properly applied it seperates the sternum from the rib cage which probably hurts a whole loving lot but its not meant to break ribs because you dont push on the ribs

Also, for folks unaware, you don't have to do mouth breathing anymore. They found that diaphragm compression sucks in plenty of air.

Bugs me when I still see it on shows and stuff.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

SynthOrange posted:

RIP all the people living downstream

No it's ok, we can see their parachutes.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Error 404 posted:

Also, for folks unaware, you don't have to do mouth breathing anymore. They found that diaphragm compression sucks in plenty of air.

Bugs me when I still see it on shows and stuff.

they still teach mouth breathing i retook emergency first aid last month and they still said 30+2

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Radiochromatic posted:

Reading it over, I'm pretty curious how she managed to saw the active power cable with her clearly metal blade, and somehow NOT eat deadly amounts of electricity in the process. Hopefully, if anything comes of this, it'll be Allison ripping that camera off of Mary's head, and getting her locked up, since she straight up admitted to murdering people for the past two years.

It probably isn't metal. It's colored pure white and the hilt and blade are part of the same unit. You can get a better look at it here:

Might be made out of bone, but I'd guess more likely ceramic or hard plastic. (Google polymer knives if you're curious.)

Serene Dragon posted:

I've forgiven this chapter a lot of things, but this is actually very annoying. What a cop out.

Yeeeah. I'm not anywhere near as down on this issue or comic in general as some folks seem to be, but this is definitely a blunder. I can appreciate maintaining Moonshadow as not having killed any innocent people as a way of keeping the moral question of her vigilantism in place, but part of the way you achieve that is by not setting your final confrontation in a dam that gets blown up. If you blow up a dam, you're going to kill some people.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Well I guess Alison's arm just got better.

"Civillian population?"
"Oh yeah. A poo poo-ton of people just died, but they were all rapists anyway so it doesn't matter."

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

It probably isn't metal. It's colored pure white and the hilt and blade are part of the same unit. You can get a better look at it here:

Might be made out of bone, but I'd guess more likely ceramic or hard plastic. (Google polymer knives if you're curious.)

Yeeeah. I'm not anywhere near as down on this issue or comic in general as some folks seem to be, but this is definitely a blunder. I can appreciate maintaining Moonshadow as not having killed any innocent people as a way of keeping the moral question of her vigilantism in place, but part of the way you achieve that is by not setting your final confrontation in a dam that gets blown up. If you blow up a dam, you're going to kill some people.

I think the author did that so they could have some peace and quiet while they talked. I'd complain about that more, but they are way overdue for a heart to heart.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Has Mary at any point claimed to not be a hero fighting to save the innocent? Of course she's going to set up this whole thing away from civilisation. The whole chapter is about how to be a good guy when you massively overpower the bad guys.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

All right, I can very easily buy that it's a polymer knife. Though, considering how it's rendered, chances are it's bone.

That said, I'm still pretty sure cutting through an active cable thicker than most torsos, up in metal rafters, without any sort of safety equipment is going to kill you. At that point, it wouldn't even matter how conductive the blade is, her mostly exposed hand had to have been in between the two halves of the cable while the electricity was still arcing between them. I think, after this arc, we can safely say that Mary's middle name is, very possibly, Sue.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Civilian population?

Negative. Just a few dozen park rangers and tourists.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Not going to lie, part of me kind of wants the next page to be a shaggy dog story ending where Mary begins to get into a big old monologue and Allison just crushes her head like a grape, end of chapter. Out of character as hell and against everything the comic stands for yes, but I would really love the chutzpah.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The chapter seems to be about the moral differences between Allison and Mary.
Having lots of collateral damage here would distract from the main point, so it is understandable why the author did ignore it. But it could be so much easier to suspend disbelief here, if they had simply had their fight inside a small dam instead of a large one.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

captain innocuous posted:

Civilian population?

Negative. Just a few dozen robot park rangers and tourists who evacuated just in time.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

man everyone knows there's no one in those buildings the Megazord keeps landing on

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

Not going to lie, part of me kind of wants the next page to be a shaggy dog story ending where Mary begins to get into a big old monologue and Allison just crushes her head like a grape, end of chapter. Out of character as hell and against everything the comic stands for yes, but I would really love the chutzpah.

I'm just hoping for a "I don't think what you did was right, but I don't know how wrong it really was" and then they spent the rest of the night looking at the sky and chat about what they both went through as superheroes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I bet Furnace is really steamed.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm just hoping for a "I don't think what you did was right, but I don't know how wrong it really was" and then they spent the rest of the night looking at the sky and chat about what they both went through as superheroes.

Tenebrais posted:

Has Mary at any point claimed to not be a hero fighting to save the innocent? Of course she's going to set up this whole thing away from civilisation. The whole chapter is about how to be a good guy when you massively overpower the bad guys.

This is definitely correct, but the problem with it is "an enormous dam with no-one inside it far enough away from all human habitation that the flood resulting from its destruction will harm nobody" is something that shouldn't actually exist for her to find in the first place.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is definitely correct, but the problem with it is "an enormous dam with no-one inside it far enough away from all human habitation that the flood resulting from its destruction will harm nobody" is something that shouldn't actually exist for her to find in the first place.

For reference, I'm expecting Mary to apologize to Alison for the next five pages.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

captain innocuous posted:

Civilian population?

Negative. Just a few dozen park rangers and tourists.

If they were illegal immigrants, it'd be fine. Only the legal ones count.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God that was such a cop out. I really hope it was some contrived lie to make her feel better type situation because that was a terrible page.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am disappointed because that this chapter made it clear that Alison did not go out and do all this because she was a good person, but because she is falling back hard on old habits out of stress.

Her father has cancer. The shoe finally dropped on the Guardians which is more or less caused by her exit, so that is on her conscious. She hit a dead end with her studies. Her relationship with her boyfriend is strained right up to the breaking point. And she got publicly humiliated for daring to do the right thing at a party.

This should have ended in disaster to underline the point of the comic that real world problems were not a thing that superheroes were even made to solve. But no, we have a get out of jail free card here.

Not to mention the precarious position the world is in! The superhuman generation has grown up into a not insignificant socioeconomic force, non powered individuals have started hate groups over them, and the government is bending itself backward trying to accommodate situations that literally should not exist. A disaster caused by very visible superhumans could very well ignite this powder keg.

EDIT: I guess my point is that this arc, for all its problems (and they are Legion!) could have set up the next arc where the stakes were even higher. And right now it does not look like we are getting that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 9, 2015

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A few superheroes destroying a dam that devastates an entire nature park should still cause significant backlash. Not that it will, but it should.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

nimby posted:

A few superheroes destroying a dam that devastates an entire nature park should still cause significant backlash. Not that it will, but it should.

A famous former superhero also killed a man in broad daylight, in front of a crowd, who then proceeds to threaten said crowd. This is only mentioned in passing afterwards. Granted, they were terrible people.

A CURRENT superhero goes on the news and unambiguously threatens women who dares to come forward with rape charges against anyone. All that happened was that his girlfriend broke up with him.

Superheroes in this comic are protected as hell, and people here are not going to pay much attention to some property damage.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 9, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

A CURRENT superhero goes on the news and unambiguously threatens women who dares to come forward with rape charges against anyone. All that happened was that his girlfriend broke up with him.

Who exactly do you envision detaining Furnace or ensuring that he shows up for a court date?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I follow Ostertag on twitter, because I love her art, and it frustrates me to see her defensive, passive-aggressive reactions to criticism. "Hey, that's not how you draw a bullet in flight." "LOL who even cares about bullets" "Also my suspension of disbelief is falling apart because this chapter makes no loving sense" "lol who can suspend disbelief about a COMIC amirite?"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I follow Ostertag on twitter, because I love her art, and it frustrates me to see her defensive, passive-aggressive reactions to criticism. "Hey, that's not how you draw a bullet in flight." "LOL who even cares about bullets" "Also my suspension of disbelief is falling apart because this chapter makes no loving sense" "lol who can suspend disbelief about a COMIC amirite?"

SVA must be slipping hard these days if they let this kind of poo poo fly from their students, I had this kind of pass-agg criticism deflection flayed away day one when I went to school and I went to a community college.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This comic's art is actually pretty bad! It's terrible at conveying action and all the characters' silhouettes resemble slightly melted candles.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oxxidation posted:

This comic's art is actually pretty bad! It's terrible at conveying action and all the characters' silhouettes resemble slightly melted candles.

The story sure as hell doesn't make up for it when you wind up rooting for the woman hating strawman who likes setting people on fire.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Personally, it makes me chuckle when people who draw comics, especially ones with a serious story being conveyed, devalue their own work by reducing it to "stylized arranged drawings" all to turn up one's nose at valid criticism.
Remember to vote for the comic to win an award though!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't follow her on twitter because the art's always been on the passable side of mediocre.

Unsurprised she's got a thin skin for criticism, though.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, surprisingly the writer is a lot more fun to follow on twitter and seems like a cool guy all around. I think he just sort of stumbled into a topic he didn't have much business making a story about.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

And here we have the long boring speech about moonshadow as she desperately tries to convince us all that she isn't a thrill-killing psycho, and horribly fails. We saw her carve up that man, but of course it's okay she's fighting in the rape war! I'm sure that Allison will give us some trite wrap up to this whole thing or Mary will escape and Allison will be conflicted about it or some poo poo. I'm a short hair away from dropping this comic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally, I think the rule of law is good, and not bad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
She says she went out of her way to only kill only those who are actually guilty, and apparently that includes men who were accused of rape and later had charges dropped, or went to court and were found not guilty. I agree that there are way too many people who have gotten away with rape, but there are also people who were wrongly accused of rape and were later (rightly) found not guilty. If she went after those who were accused and then acquitted, even doing perfect detective work and forcing a confession (more on this later) there is no loving way she didn't kill at least one or two innocent people.

Also, regarding forced confessions. Someone wakes up in a dark room tied up and drugged up to the gills with "truth serum" (which doesn't actually work), with either a disembodied voice or a knife-wielding maniac demanding they confess to something. How many innocent people in that situation would reply with "Ok, ok, I confess, I did it, can I go home now?"

Sorry, Moonshadow. You are a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Mostly she seems to unconditionally trust victims which while probably more accurate than either the justice system or forcing confessions, still seems relatively risky with the numbers she's claiming credit for, and definitely risky with the numbers she probably ultimately intended.

• Locked thread