Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

a shameful boehner posted:

Or states could stop slashing the education budget to the bone

Its both. Colleges have become wasteful and full of flashy gimmick crap to pull in students. And states need to better fund colleges so that the cost is minimal to students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I must be failing to recognize some celebrity... who's the smug looking dude Christie is posing with here?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

I must be failing to recognize some celebrity... who's the smug looking dude Christie is posing with here?

Former Massachusetts Senator and former New Hampshire Senate candidate Scott Brown, aka "bqhatevwr."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mrit posted:

Its both. Colleges have become wasteful and full of flashy gimmick crap to pull in students. And states need to better fund colleges so that the cost is minimal to students.

Fitness centers: A flashy gimmick when they have a climbing wall that costs less than the free ride given to a student athlete whose program is a net loss for the school's finances. :downs:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:fork: Jeb! says Obama has good motives on national television

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Fitness centers: A flashy gimmick when they have a climbing wall that costs less than the free ride given to a student athlete whose program is a net loss for the school's finances. :downs:

Getting rid of college sports(something I approve of, but that's for another thread) is a small cash drain compared to how bloated most colleges are run. One of my customers is a major state college and it is almost unbelievable how much money is wasted on do-nothing busywork jobs that make no sense and massively redundant services(they have over 100 IT departments, no joke).

Mrit fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 9, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
That wasn't as terrible as I expected it to be, but it was pretty painful. Jeb is incredibly awkward.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Top Republican candidates are coming to the Iowa-Iowa State football game tailgate this weekend! I post this link:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2015/09/08/donald-trump-iowa-iowa-state-football-cyhawk/71903974/

mainly so I can post the thread title on the Cyclones football message board: "Trump (and GOP pretenders) Coming to Game this Weekend"

This dude is fully on the Trump train and not getting off of it!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

That wasn't as terrible as I expected it to be, but it was pretty painful. Jeb is incredibly awkward.

Yeah he wasn't awful, the "better than your brother" Q/A was well-handled for a conservative audience. He seemed more at ease than in stump speeches. He didn't go on the attack though, so that's probably why.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jeb on the "Jeb!" logo: "It connotes excitement."

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Evil Fluffy posted:

My school has always had a world class gym, plus all the dorm would have their own little dinky weight rooms with an elliptical tossed in that people would use all the time.

Now all the dorms have been renovated to look like spaceships and West Campus has been given its very own Fitness Center with climbing wall and other cool gizmos to show prospective student tour groups.

Meanwhile, like I said, taking Near Eastern Studies courses can literally kill you because you're breathing in poison. The business school next door has these incredible Star Trek doors that are programmable and can all lock down in an Active Shooter Situation, while our doors can't actually close because they're of their hinges and the work order that went out in 2007 hasn't been filled yet.

I mentioned in my post that yes, the legislators need to come to their sense and lower tutition since 2/3rd of the graduates of my public university end up working in the state, making it a solid investment. AND the university needs to stop blowing its was on "flashy gimmicks" and prioritize education rather than on attracting international students with things they can tack onto the online brochure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I feel like Colbert was WAY too nice. He lobbed him some real soft balls and he still whiffed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

HappyHippo posted:

Remember when people upthread were claiming that Trump has crossover appeal to Democrats?

You don't think a huge chunk of the Hillary base fervently believes "all lives matter"?

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Brannock posted:

You don't think a huge chunk of the Hillary base fervently believes "all lives matter"?

I hate the fact that the concept that "all lives matter" has been co-opted by racists

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

If so they certainly aren't turned off by Hillary's engagement with, if not open support of, BLM.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Re: McAfee announcement:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

William Bear posted:

Re: McAfee announcement:

The only better thing that could come out of this stupid campaign is if Mcafee and Trump discovered each other on Twitter.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gyges posted:

It's not a real name. Reinhold Richard "Reince" Priebus just decided to go by Reince because, gently caress knows.

Lol.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Gyges posted:

Clinton has been rounding up endorsements since August 29, 2008. In addition to that, as noted by others, Obama had real establishment support from before the 2008 election season. He was drafted to run by Harry Reid, Tom Daschle, and Ted Kennedy among others. This resulted in far fewer endorsers offering up their endorsement before Obama had a chance to sink or swim.

The reason Obama's numbers got a big boost off or Iowa, in addition to the normal boost one tends to get from winning Iowa, is that a lot of players and demographics were waiting to see that he could win before officially jumping ship from the SS Clinton.

That's exactly what labor's doing right now, but they're only waiting until the first debate to decide their endorsements.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mcafee's antivirus is horseshit but Safeboot is pretty deece.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “Everybody wants to talk about hypotheticals; there is no such thing as a hypothetical.” ~ Scott Walker

What if there was such a thing as a hypothetical?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

DEFENDFREEDOM

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jewel Repetition posted:

That's exactly what labor's doing right now, but they're only waiting until the first debate to decide their endorsements.

Labor doesn't get a vote at the convention and aren't counted in the usual endorsement totals.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Jewel Repetition posted:

What if there was such a thing as a hypothetical?

there is no such thing as a hypothetical

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Joementum posted:

Bqhatevwr.

Note to Chris Christie: don't stand so close to a DILF when you're a, well, DNOWF. Is that the right acronym?

Good on Scott Brown for keeping it going since Cosmo.

(Also, thank you Elizabeth Warren).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there anywhere you can watch the late show online?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slammy posted:

Note to Chris Christie: don't stand so close to a DILF when you're a, well, DNOWF. Is that the right acronym?

i got those acronyms wayyy too quickly

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

FAUXTON posted:

If so they certainly aren't turned off by Hillary's engagement with, if not open support of, BLM.

Her engagement with BLM to date has been to tell them to solve their own problems and that "all lives matter." There's no open support for BLM from her because: a) she's taking for granted the "black vote" and b) she's a racist because she vigorously supported and advocated for racist policies, continues to defend their basic implementation, and clearly doesn't think it's wrong to use dogwhistles in her campaign rhetoric (see: '08).

I'd be baffled at her relatively high support in that particular community if it weren't complicated so much by the horrific racism and oppression that still exists today. That compounds the fact that basically the only people paying attention at this point are people who are highly engaged in politics. As the first contest draws near we'll see how solid her support is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Feather posted:

Her engagement with BLM to date has been to tell them to solve their own problems and that "all lives matter." There's no open support for BLM from her because: a) she's taking for granted the "black vote" and b) she's a racist because she vigorously supported and advocated for racist policies, continues to defend their basic implementation, and clearly doesn't think it's wrong to use dogwhistles in her campaign rhetoric (see: '08).

I'd be baffled at her relatively high support in that particular community if it weren't complicated so much by the horrific racism and oppression that still exists today. That compounds the fact that basically the only people paying attention at this point are people who are highly engaged in politics. As the first contest draws near we'll see how solid her support is.

I think you're confusing "solve your own problems" with "what kind of policy/ies are you seeking" as explicitly discussed between Hillary and Yancey and Jones on camera. Hell, that particular conversation touches on the mass incarceration policies she and Bill pushed, and while I'll grant you her lack of contrition, she's obviously of the opinion that it did serious damage and it's incumbent on her, once elected, to fix that damage. She's a step beyond that and asking for the insight she could never hope to have from within the communities under assault from the effects of those policies.

As for dogwhistles, :jerkbag: that bait's rotting off the hook.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

As for dogwhistles, :jerkbag: that bait's rotting off the hook.

lol the shills have devolved into "oh that attack's just outdated", pathetic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

lol the shills have devolved into "oh that attack's just outdated", pathetic.

At least take the effort to include :shillary: in there if you're unironically using the portmanteau :shobon:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Eh, her husband had a tabloid romance blow up on him right before a primary and survived. It's going to take more than some "intelligence experts" and pissy NYT editors to take out a Clinton.

If only Hillary was Bill...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Eh, clamping down on this in an effective way from the get go would have been best for her. Now it's "a thing" and if republicans can scrounge up a single scrap of self-control, they can add enough 'fuel' to the fire to keep it burning a good long while.

If there's one thing that could have made this really kill her, it would be trying to clamp down on it. Also, you have a really short memory or something when it comes to the Republicans going after Clintons.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

"It connotes excitement" will have the kind of momentum Jeb! doesn't.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
so what was the fan-submitted question for Jeb?!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Joementum posted:

Eh, her husband had a tabloid romance blow up on him right before a primary and survived. It's going to take more than some "intelligence experts" and pissy NYT editors to take out a Clinton.

how about a plane full of kenedys

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

point of return posted:

so what was the fan-submitted question for Jeb?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Iuk9BYJKA

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

My dad is a real hardcore "independent" Republican, in that he thinks he's independent but will always vote republican. He's becoming afraid of Trump. He recognizes how weak the other Republicans are (for some reason he supports Fiorna. ) but we were talking earlier about how surprised we both are. We're on opposite sides ideology wise but we both had assumed Bush and Hill would get the party moms easy no prob. Owe both dismissed Trump as a PR social media joke for a whe. We both agreed he's sunk himself when he made fun of McCain and by proxy every other POW together.

I've never ever seen my dad admit he was wrong about anything in his life and he's admitted he's wrong and he's afraid of Trump
Ruining his party.

On one hand it's heartwarming to see him worried that his freezer ideology is going to be devastated by this clown.

It's heartwarming we've both watched our view of how American electoral politics work get poopy pooed all over. It's a bonding experience because he cannot go a day around me without trying to pick a fight about politics and now we can finally bond over the mystery of trump. He's a paleoncon freezer type. The party doesn't represent him and he knows it and he's also getting a kick over watching Trumpmwreck the establishment candidate but now he's realizing thenjokenhas gone too far but can't be stopped.

Ducking Trump is an agent of chaos and Erisian saint at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Good pic.

• Locked thread