Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

We knew it was coming, and yet it's still so disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ghostlight posted:

I'm glad we cleared that up.

Now read that last panel in the voice of Phil Ken Sebben.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, mall cops actually do this?
I don't know about tickets, but yes. All stores are supposed to open at the same time, and not doing so can get you in trouble because at the very least the mall management will contact your store's head office and let them know that whoever it was that was supposed to open the store showed up an hour late.

I think I told this story here before, but back when I worked retail I had a manager who'd open the store a half-hour late, then change his punch-in time in the system like nobody would notice that the store didn't open until 30-45 minutes after the rest of the mall, or that nobody would call the district manager to complain.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know about tickets, but yes. All stores are supposed to open at the same time, and not doing so can get you in trouble because at the very least the mall management will contact your store's head office and let them know that whoever it was that was supposed to open the store showed up an hour late.

I think I told this story here before, but back when I worked retail I had a manager who'd open the store a half-hour late, then change his punch-in time in the system like nobody would notice that the store didn't open until 30-45 minutes after the rest of the mall, or that nobody would call the district manager to complain.

Can confirm. The mall cops called the legit police on me because I left the coffee pot on in our dumb little soft pretzel kiosk. I had to drive 25 minutes back to shut it off even though they had a key. Comics in a bit, I'm swamped and shouldn't even be typing this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

i hold cage with bird

i put cloth over it

cage vanishes

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, I figure since the creators of Luann take pride in the fact that the strip has taken on more grown-up topics in the past, such as Luann's period and whatnot, that there might be a chance that they would handle the decriminalization of marijuana and the corresponding shift in cultural attitudes toward same with--

Luann

Never mind. You guys are right. I don't want them to do a weed story anymore. I don't know what I was thinking.

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Captain's face. :)

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Between this, Funky, and Mary Worth, I've got a feeling this is gonna be a bad week for this thread. :ohdear:

"You know what this dorm party needs? Fire!"

Calling it now: there's going to be an accident with the fire and Bernice is going to get in big trouble, thus highlighting The Dangers Of Drugs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This Namor story has been going on like two weeks now and he has yet to make any sexual overtures at MJ. What is going on??

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I live in the middle of Amish country in Pennsylvania, so I can't wait to see where this is going. Just when I thought my guilty-pleasure comic couldn't get any better. :peanut:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Can confirm. The mall cops called the legit police on me because I left the coffee pot on in our dumb little soft pretzel kiosk. I had to drive 25 minutes back to shut it off even though they had a key.
I've spent the day in lectures about fire safety, so I approve of that so you are less likely to leave it on in the future. Now excuse me while I check the heat on my cell phone charger every two minutes. :ohdear:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

That last panel just screams "When isn't she?"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

Sundae posted:

I live in the middle of Amish country in Pennsylvania, so I can't wait to see where this is going. Just when I thought my guilty-pleasure comic couldn't get any better. :peanut:

Yeah, Rip Haywire is so far over the top that it's great to read. Cobra dressing up as a shapely cow really made my day.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Johnny Aztec posted:

Her face in the first panel is a thing of nightmares.

It runs in the family. For he who sees the Phantom's face, dies a horrible death.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Now read that last panel in the voice of Phil Ken Sebben.

Ha Ha! Surprise twist!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

I have no idea what happened over on GoComics because Firefox absolutely refuses to open the larger versions of Mark Trail. I actually had to fire up IE (:barf:) to get it to work. Not sure at this point if it's a Firefox thing, or a GoComics thing. It worked just fine last week. Anyway, let's just start with Mark Effing Trail as I'm now three days behind...

Man, Cherry is pissed in the second panel.

My God, he is reading this thread, isn't he!

:v:

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats

Ok?

9 Chickweed Lane 9/8/2004

Meatloaf, if prepared correctly, is really good. Stop bitching.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 8, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I swear I've read Non Sequitur for a good while and I don't remember the accents being so pronounced (save for Eddie). Oh well, better than that God drat kid in Rose is Rose.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

catlord posted:

I swear I've read Non Sequitur for a good while and I don't remember the accents being so pronounced (save for Eddie). Oh well, better than that God drat kid in Rose is Rose.

Yeah, at least these accents are obviously accents and convey the way they're talking well enough, even if it's over-the-top. The Rose Is Rose baby's talk is phonetically identical to normal speech, thus failing at its intended purpose, it's just spelled in a way that makes reading it irritating.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

CommaToes posted:

I think since Jon only comes every summer to visit his grandparents, something will happen that causes him to not come next summer.

Oooh, Funky Winkerbean crossover!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

THOSE VOTES AREN'T YOURS TO GIVE AWAY YOU GODDAMN MORON

ONE OF THE PEOPLE AT THE TOP CAN JUST CHOOSE THE NEXT CHIEF ALL ON HIS OWN AND MULTIPLE CHARACTERS CALL IT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY

TONY DEPAUL I AM TALKING DIRECTLY TO YOU

WHY DID YOU WRITE THIS GARBAGE

ANSWER MY QUESTION

YOU PIECE OF poo poo

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Clearly DePaul is writing subtle pro-secret ballot propaganda. A bold and controversial stance if it were... I dunno, 120 years ago, which sounds about right for political positions in most newspaper comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CommaToes posted:

I think since Jon only comes every summer to visit his grandparents, something will happen that causes him to not come next summer.
I hope not. That seems to easy and not really like how Sal would handle it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Guys... guys...

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-brad-anderson-creator-marmaduke-225058

quote:

As confirmed by the National Cartoonists Society, Marmaduke creator Brad Anderson has died. No cause of death was given, but the NCS’ statement says it was “unexpected.” He was 91.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress YOU KIPAWA YOU WASTED ALL OUR GODDAMN TIME.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Really this is all fatty's fault for not wanting to ditch his dumb job and go live in the phantom's treasure cave with high speed internet, full time

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I still have a hard time believing this is the same comic that gave us the Gravelines Prison storyline two(?) years ago.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Just like me at the gay bar. Sunrise, sunset.

Wee Pals

Yep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Conference_on_Children_and_Youth

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

RandomFerret posted:

Stay out of this. It's a Bandar matter.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Ha! Remember that storyline in New Phantom a while back where Phantom beat the poo poo out of some dude while his kids were on the phone and then fired a gun out the window to bring the cops around and Goons lost their goddamn minds? Turns out that's an established thing he's been doing since the old days!

Radio Patrol

Kind of hard to read this combo of narration box and dialog, but I like the effect.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

:smith:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

RandomFerret posted:

ONE OF THE PEOPLE AT THE TOP CAN JUST CHOOSE THE NEXT CHIEF ALL ON HIS OWN AND MULTIPLE CHARACTERS CALL IT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY

ANSWER MY QUESTION

YOU PIECE OF poo poo

No see, all those people who voted for Kipawa declared their loyalty to him. He declared his loyalty to Guran. It's basically the US electoral system.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Green Intern posted:

No see, all those people who voted for Kipawa declared their loyalty to him. He declared his loyalty to Guran. It's basically the US electoral system.

Instituting our primary style elections is the dumbest thing about this strip yet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Evil Mastermind posted:

I still have a hard time believing this is the same comic that gave us the Gravelines Prison storyline two(?) years ago.
Seriously what the gently caress happened to the Phantom? This bandar matter poo poo was preceded by what, Phantom brilliantly murdering a dude in public and then just walking away from it and ... uh, the creepy amnesia strips where he writes about women to procreate with in his secret instinctive by torchlight journal? Was that an edit? I can't tell what the edits are anymore. help.

Am I just not understanding the metaphors here?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom is still going on, for some reason

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Spiderdrake posted:

uh, the creepy amnesia strips where he writes about women to procreate with in his secret instinctive by torchlight journal? Was that an edit? I can't tell what the edits are anymore. help.

That was not an edit, terrifyingly. I'm not sure why daily Phantom has undergone such a meteoric downfall but when I'm thinking back on this election arc and the John X arc it's... something, alright.

Isn't the same creative team on the Sunday strips? How are those managing to be so markedly less poo poo?

e: But on a happier note, man I hope that necklace in Mandrake turns out to be some kind of assassination attempt.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

VictorGrunn posted:

Stay out of this. It's a Bandar matter.

Bandar culture is 5000 years old; you're a foreigner, so you can't understand.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Kind of hard to read this combo of narration box and dialog, but I like the effect.

It looks like it was a design choice that allowed the bottom portion of the strip to be cropped out if the newspaper needed to because of the wartime newsprint shortages. If you go back through the previous strips that were posted, the date is usually placed near the middle of the panel instead of at the bottom.

Here's an example of a cropped Blondie that I found in the archives:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RandomFerret posted:

ANSWER MY QUESTION

YOU PIECE OF poo poo

I think the best part is yet to come when GURAN, HONORED LEADER of the BANDAR says "For MY part, I choose this other guy!" and dumps all his stones back in his bowl.

E: nope nevermind

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 9, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm sorry, but I don't think you can call the death of a 91 year old man "unexpected"

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

RandomFerret posted:

ANSWER MY QUESTION

YOU PIECE OF poo poo

I figured it was just the other dude conceding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Jane's World

Welp, I guess we know what happens next.

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

9 Chickweed Lane 9/9/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Mark Trail

... say, Ken, did you notice a whale in hot pursuit of our boat, or is it just me?

• Locked thread