Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

iGestalt posted:

He can be a pervert and write well realized female characters, though. He's still a pervert who needlessly fixated certain elements of the singular female character in the game. His being Japanese has nothing to do with that assessment.

there are at least two other major female characters in the game with relevance to other games in the series and they're both well written, with emotional denouements to their stories, and not sexualized, so i don't appreciate your sexist erasure of women who don't support your goal of making an ideological point, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
you fixating on the idea that hideo kojima must by nature be a pervert, to the point where you attempt to intentionally mislead the people you're discussing the issue with while denying that this has any racial element at all is suspicious to me. sorry.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Neo Rasa posted:

No actually it was meant to be sexually exploitative. The legendary description of the Boss was to be "When you see the snake dance your death draws near," I think a somewhat similar line is still actually in the game. This was meant to be played up as a super foreboding message of death, but then you would see that it was instead a reference to how she would have a tattoo of a snake on her one naked boob that would bounce lot while she is firing heavy weaponry. Games are art.

Same thing with Quiet, all of his "regret your words and deeds" bluster was just lame justification for a cheesecake character.

There's NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING a cheesecake hurr boobs are awesome character, at all. Just it's lame how many look at everything he does and assumes there's some super serious commentary about the nature of war or whatever. The guy loves tits, whatever.

The game does have some pretty heavy stuff to day (especially for a video game) but Quiet's design is not among them.

https://books.google.com/books?id=C...n%20art&f=false

actually her one exposed breast was meant to be an allusion to early Christian iconography, signifying maternity, unselfconscious exposure, selflessness, or the endowment of blessings.

it was probably removed because people wouldn't get it and instead assume the japanese man was a pervert and had no understanding of art, though.

and yes i agree that there's nothing wrong with joyful sexuality. it seems as if many people disagree, or, worse, find that it invalidates the entire work. like you, who can apparently claim that metal gear solid, of all series, has nothing serious to say about the nature of human conflict.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

you fixating on the idea that hideo kojima must by nature be a pervert, to the point where you attempt to intentionally mislead the people you're discussing the issue with while denying that this has any racial element at all is suspicious to me. sorry.

You bought it up first by making the connection that 'Assuming he is a pervert' would mean fixation on him being Japanese.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

iGestalt posted:

You bought it up first by making the connection that 'Assuming he is a pervert' would mean fixation on him being Japanese.

I'm not the first person to bring up the connection and this is a really sad way to argue. Nuh-uh! You though! Uh-uh!!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Buschmaki posted:

A snake suckling at the Boss's breast, hmm, Kojima must just like titties.

yeah its definitely not using christian iconography to show how a (male, phallic) symbol of the devil is corrupting a (female) symbol of selflessness and sacrifice, must be a pervert who can't think past his violent sex urges.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I'm not the first person to bring up the connection and this is a really sad way to argue. Nuh-uh! You though! Uh-uh!!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

I do, definitely, want this game, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I love all these nerds complaining about not getting the promised depiction of Big Boss falling to evil, when the reveal + truth files spell out that he became evil exactly when it looked like he did (the end of Peace Walker).

Yeah, it's actually kind of neat that most players get so wrapped up in Big Boss' legend (just like half the characters in the series) that they become blind to the fact that he spends all of PW, GZ, and MGSV being a nuclear-equipped dictator that kidnaps children and soldiers to run an off-shore mercenary haven whose goal is perpetual conflict for profit and because they enjoy war. It's a pretty interesting metacommentary on people's ability to rationalize almost anything to themselves when they are the ones doing it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Holy gently caress, I never thought about it like this. You just blew open the doors of my perception like Joe Rogan personally giving me a big glass of Muscle Milk with Shroomtech Alphabrain mixed in and passing me a lit dutch of the most primo Sativa. Thanks man. I can't believe I never realized how a guy making a boobie joke outside of his professional output as an artist invalidates his entire body of work before.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Wait did one of the tapes in GZ not mention that Skull Face had Paz' kidneys etc taken out to fit the bomb in so she would only have lived for a few days either way?

Is that just ignored in TPP? I liked it as a plot point because it was a really visceral demonstration of how much of a poo poo XOF was.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ThomasPaine posted:

Wait did one of the tapes in GZ not mention that Skull Face had Paz' kidneys etc taken out to fit the bomb in so she would only have lived for a few days either way?

Is that just ignored in TPP? I liked it as a plot point because it was a really visceral demonstration of how much of a poo poo XOF was.

Have you finished the Paz subplot?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Broken Cog posted:

Have you finished the Paz subplot?

No it's the last thing I have to do. Good point I probably should have done that.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, it's actually kind of neat that most players get so wrapped up in Big Boss' legend (just like half the characters in the series) that they become blind to the fact that he spends all of PW, GZ, and MGSV being a nuclear-equipped dictator that kidnaps children and soldiers to run an off-shore mercenary haven whose goal is perpetual conflict for profit and because they enjoy war. It's a pretty interesting metacommentary on people's ability to rationalize almost anything to themselves when they are the ones doing it.

Even though Huey is an awful man, he brought up a lot of good points at his trial. Honestly, I'd forgotten that you actually seized a nuclear weapon in PW. I remembered Zeke, but like you said, you become a nuclear power as an afterthought. Appropriately, Venom gets a choice and he feels so guilty about it he literally cannot wash the blood off. You can come back from it, but I think you have disarm a bunch of nukes just to make up for a fraction of making the first one.

The more I think about it, the more I come around to the plot. If there was something mind blowing to come out of camp omega, I hope we eventually at least find out what it was. Kojima himself has mentioned it, and it wasn't on the cut content disc of the CE, which means it's either A)In there somewhere and we haven't found it or B) it hasn't been activated yet. I'm more inclined to go with B, because Kojima has said that our return to Camp Omega will be something that wasn't possible before, and something related to Internet content seems more likely in that case. Even if that's just wishful thinking, I hope Kojima at least says what it was if it's not to be. His silence on the subject says to me that it's at least still up in the air, rather than confirmed not happening.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i don't want to touch the poop too much but i think maybe kojima likes a big booby and a big butt on a woman (and a man), but then maybe he also likes women on another level and likes to write cool lady characters like the boss and stuff.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 9, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Minorkos posted:

i don't want to touch the poop too much but i think maybe kojima likes a big booby and a big butt on a woman (and a man), but then maybe he also likes women on another level and likes to write cool lady characters like the boss and stuff.

That was what I was trying to say, yeah.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

there are at least two other major female characters in the game with relevance to other games in the series and they're both well written, with emotional denouements to their stories, and not sexualized, so i don't appreciate your sexist erasure of women who don't support your goal of making an ideological point, thanks.

I know it was some wonderful ironic commentary when the camera zoomed in on the mist snipers' tits as they walked onto the scene.

I'm gonna go 'ironically' call this homeless guy a dumb friend of the family.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Panzeh posted:

I know it was some wonderful ironic commentary when the camera zoomed in on the mist snipers' tits as they walked onto the scene.

I'm gonna go 'ironically' call this homeless guy a dumb friend of the family.

I really got an art boner when they stuck electrodes into quiet's tits

I wish I could get D-horses companion level up by staring at it's tits, I have no idea how to get that fucker to like me

Can someone draw d-horse in quiet's 100% bond level pose (make sure it has the thong, nothing X-rated)

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

That should be an interesting exercise in perspective.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lovely Wizard posted:

https://soundcloud.com/gboon/sets/youre-fired-and-more-cut-snake-dialogue

Here's another bunch of cut dialogue.

It sounds pretty good fun stuff too.

CONSECUTIVE C. Q. C.

some of this stuff is gold.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen

Im absolutely ape poo poo loving retarded!

xD Agreed !

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think Hideo Kojima gets way too much credit for his writing roles by the fans, frankly. He's not a good writer. The games which people consider to have good stories are the ones he co-wrote with Tomokazu Fukushima, who also wrote Ghost Babel on his own. MGS 4, PW and MGS V he had Shuyo Murata as a co-writer and all three games have been criticized for the story, although PW stands above MGS 4 and MGS V.

It's also worth noting that Hideo Kojima had some really dumb ideas for MGS 1, 2 and 3 and he had to be reigned in somewhat by Fukishima and the rest of the development team, whereas in 4, PW and V he more or less had free reign until Konami put their foot down.

Not that I'm saying Hideo Kojima is a hack or anything, he is good at coming up with cool ideas and directing scenes from his games. But I do think people attribute too much to him and it kind of went to his head a bit, especially when he goes on about how only the games he writes matter which is egotistical as hell, when games like Rising follow up on some plot elements Kojima himself abandoned.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 9, 2015

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think Hideo Kojima gets way too much credit for his writing roles by the fans, frankly. He's not a good writer. The games which people consider to have good stories are the ones he co-wrote with Tomokazu Fukushima, who also wrote Ghost Babel on his own. MGS 4, PW and MGS V he had Shuyo Murata as a co-writer and all three games have been criticized for the story, although PW stands above MGS 4 and MGS V.

It's also worth noting that Hideo Kojima had some really dumb ideas for MGS 1, 2 and 3 and he had to be reigned in somewhat by Fukishima and the rest of the development team, whereas in 4, PW and V he more or less had free reign until Konami put their foot down.

Not that I'm saying Hideo Kojima is a hack or anything, he is good at coming up with cool ideas and directing scenes from his games. But I do think people attribute too much to him and it kind of went to his head a bit, especially when he goes on about how only the games he writes matter which is egotistical as hell, when games like Rising follow up on some plot elements Kojima himself abandoned.

A very good post. Kojima's stories always needed heavy editing and their quality depended on who was the editor.

Under the vegetable comes off as a guy who thinks Sucker Punch was a feminist movie about strong women.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

For me, Metal Gear Solid 3 is his best game - because it doesn't try to explain everything and has a very straight forward plot (With some more complex and crazy elements alongside it). When he has someone to keep him in check and tell him "Hey, Kojima, no that's incredibly dumb" the final product is better for it. Why did he feel the need to explain the Cobra's in TPP? They never needed explaining as they were wacky bosses with cool powers like wasp guns.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 9, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This is 100% true. Kojima is not a good writer. He's an excellent game designer and director, but not a good writer.

(Incidentally, this is why it's extra disappointing that Silent Hills is dead. Pairing a designer like Kojima with del Toro's writing and stylistic talent would've resulted in something absolutely fascinating.)

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Kojima is horney for woman.

They shoulda made Quiet into some old wrinkly hag, but still zoom in on the butts and the boobs at any given opportunity. I think that would've made for a more interesting discussion.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is there still no youtube video of the cutscenes you get when your GMP goes into the red? I can't find anything and I still don't want to risk doing it.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

Incidentally, this is why it's extra disappointing that Silent Hills is dead. Pairing a designer like Kojima with del Toro's writing and stylistic talent would've resulted in something absolutely fascinating.

I really hope he and Del Toro end up doing something together. Kojima has such a good visual eye and attention to detail.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

im watching msg4 (all your guns are belong to us) on twitch now, QUICK can someone explain to me why all the genome? soldiers sound like women or very young?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Genome soldiers are the ones from MGS1.

I'm guessing you mean the Frogs from MGS4, Liquid's personal bodyguard unit or whatever - they're all women. For no particular reason.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

DasKuend posted:

im watching msg4 (all your guns are belong to us) on twitch now, QUICK can someone explain to me why all the genome? soldiers sound like women or very young?

I assume you mean Vamp's Frog unit? Because I'm pretty sure the answer is: Vamp.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

i mean all the soldiers in full armor that are with liquidocelot (sorry i only watched a bit)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The genome soldiers were considered a failure and abandoned after Shadow Moses, while memetic soldiers like Raiden became a success and so the SOP system is an expanded version of that which controlled every aspect of battlefield information, including regulating a soldiers own biological and psychological state.

As for why the Frog unit are women... uh. I don't know. I don't even know why the B&B Unit are all women. Probably something to do with how war corrupts young women too? But then it gets into skeevy territory when they go in skin tight catsuits and do poses for you.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The genome soldiers were considered a failure and abandoned after Shadow Moses.

No real surprise, either. "Huh. Who's footprints are these?!"

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Im trying to think of a female endboss/villain in games (i cant even remember in films but obvious there are some).

i like variety

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The genome soldiers were considered a failure and abandoned after Shadow Moses, while memetic soldiers like Raiden became a success and so the SOP system is an expanded version of that which controlled every aspect of battlefield information, including regulating a soldiers own biological and psychological state.

As for why the Frog unit are women... uh. I don't know. I don't even know why the B&B Unit are all women. Probably something to do with how war corrupts young women too? But then it gets into skeevy territory when they go in skin tight catsuits and do poses for you.

Kojima read about auteur theory and figured it meant you can indulge in any weird fixations or kinks on camera and people will line up to call it Art (which is kinda true)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DasKuend posted:

Im trying to think of a female endboss/villain in games (i cant even remember in films but obvious there are some).

i like variety

...The Boss?

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

...The Boss?

Burn in hell heretic!

Shes no villain.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DasKuend posted:

i like variety

There's a few about, like Jubileus in Bayonetta or Mellisandre in Throne of Bhaal. The Boss is pretty great though for being a serious, dramatic character who plays a traditionally male role without coming off like a dude with tits. I'm glad Kojima's team veto'd the snake boob though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm sad we're not getting MGS WWII edition, because we'll never know how the gently caress they botched a c-section that bad.

• Locked thread