Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Super Mario Bros. DX, the best Mario game, has a high score table. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Also, while this is probably the :retrogames: in me: I really want Nintendo to release some of the VS arcade series on the Virtual Console, specifically VS Super Mario Bros because it's one of the hardest Mario things to come by (legally) this side of smb2j.

On point to the thread, though: having Spike from Wrecking Crew show up as a skin is pretty awesome, but where's Professor Hector or Vector (preferably sleepwalking, but beggars != choosers)? Missed opportunity for R.O.B. throwbacks, Nintendo. Last time those sprites got used was Tetris DS and, as awesome as that game was, :cmon:.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The score has never had much purpose, but this would have been a good chance to use it. Levels are usually pretty disposable in these sorts of games, but If I find one I really like it can be fun to try to get the highest score or fastest time. I ended up in a fun back and forth with a LBP creator trying to stay at number one on his leaderboard.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Also, while this is probably the :retrogames: in me: I really want Nintendo to release some of the VS arcade series on the Virtual Console, specifically VS Super Mario Bros because it's one of the hardest Mario things to come by (legally) this side of smb2j.

Did that actually have original levels or was it just slightly remixed versions of smb1 with lost levels thrown in make sure you didn't play on a single quarter for long?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

J-Spot posted:

Did that actually have original levels or was it just slightly remixed versions of smb1 with lost levels thrown in make sure you didn't play on a single quarter for long?

Slightly remixed and recompiled, also with drop shadow on text and adjustable coins-to-1UP dip switch. However, completely unique scoreboard music not used elsewhere.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Super Mario Maker: Finally, A Good Sonic Game

:perfect:

Rocketlex posted:

I don't care what the new thread title is as long as it has the tag.

Obviously.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think it'd be cool if the OP for this game could keep an running list of goon creators so anyone who wants to take a real swing at it can get at least some exposure here

I made a google form like in the Splatoon thread.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rocketlex posted:

I don't care what the new thread title is as long as it has the tag.

A second shell has hit the Bowser

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Considering you can share levels with a 12-digit code, we can have a little goonmunity of level sharing here so we can play and give stars to each others' work :neckbeard:

I've been laying awake for hours with level ideas buzzing around my brain for the last few nights. Ughhhhh I need this game.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Hedrigall posted:

Considering you can share levels with a 12-digit code, we can have a little goonmunity of level sharing here so we can play and give stars to each others' work :neckbeard:

I've been laying awake for hours with level ideas buzzing around my brain for the last few nights. Ughhhhh I need this game.

I'd think all we'd have to do is follow each other ingame, right? Of course you'll have to post the code in here for goons who aren't following you.

Also do like I did and get a graph notebook and start jotting down sketches of your levels!!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sade posted:

I'd think all we'd have to do is follow each other ingame, right? Of course you'll have to post the code in here for goons who aren't following you.

Also do like I did and get a graph notebook and start jotting down sketches of your levels!!!

Holy poo poo I may do that...

This is gonna be like 3rd grade when I drew Donkey Kong Country levels in the back of my school notebooks.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't really see that or tell what it's meant to be. Maybe make the image bigger?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
It's a joke where everyone's level is going to be a recreation of a mario stage that already exists

e: VVV oh whoa, awesome!

nftyw fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 9, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nah, I'm putting together a website to share levels so we don't have to awkwardly do it in this thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can you make it so levels can be tagged or categorized

like either freeform tags goons can choose or like difficulty levels or something

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Eonwe posted:

can you make it so levels can be tagged or categorized

like either freeform tags goons can choose or like difficulty levels or something

Yeah, something like that. I just started it tonight, so we'll see what I can get put together in the next few days.

If you have some technical chops (know what a URL is and are familiar with the Wii U's online features/miiverse), throw me an email at coldpies@gmail.com and I might ask for your help. I don't even own a Wii U yet.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's cool. How would we get screenshots up?

Categories would be cool, like
"Normal platforming"
"Interesting layouts"
"Kaizo bullshit"
"Rube Goldberg as gently caress"
"Gimmick where you don't press any buttons and the level plays itself"
etc

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hedrigall posted:

Post a picture of your level to Miiverse and then save it and reupload it on the site I guess?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ColdPie posted:

Yeah, something like that. I just started it tonight, so we'll see what I can get put together in the next few days.

If you have some technical chops (know what a URL is and are familiar with the Wii U's online features/miiverse), throw me an email at coldpies@gmail.com and I might ask for your help. I don't even own a Wii U yet.

Can you scrape the game database directly? I have no idea how you would do that.

But if you can it'll be much better than just using a google form. I'll PM you the shares anyway, in case you want to query the sheet instead of creating your own frontend input.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Post a picture of your level to Miiverse and then save it and reupload it on the site I guess?

I was thinking just copy/paste the miiverse URL and the web app would scrape the picture.

DalaranJ posted:

Can you scrape the game database directly? I have no idea how you would do that.

Nah, you'll have to add levels, type in the sharing codes, etc by hand. It'll be linked back to your SA account.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Do we know what time this unlocks?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
thats pretty rad, coldpie. im excited about this

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I haven't shut up about mario maker for weeks so my wife made me a couple of marios (out of polymer clay)

e: I already know I need to power wash my porch, thanks in advance.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Hedrigall posted:

"Normal platforming"
"Interesting layouts"
"Kaizo bullshit"
etc

"Environmental Storytelling"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
those are really cute marios

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blazing Zero posted:

thats pretty rad, coldpie. im excited about this

12:00 AM 9/11 (on east coast time)

If you're cool and on the Pacific timeline it'll be 9 pm this Thursday

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
I'll always remember September 11th from now on. :mario:

Some guy did a bowling level where your score at the end was ranked by him using some sign he made

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Hedrigall posted:

"Normal platforming"
"Interesting layouts"
"Kaizo bullshit"
etc

"excessive dongs"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Too many bowsers"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
"not nearly enough bowsers"

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
"Level with 38 pipes, all but one leading to instant death"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Jumpman, Playing With Power, Play It Loud, Mario Is Missing, Hidden Exits, Touhou, Autoplay, 1-1, Tubular, Kaizo, gently caress You

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to make a level where you can just go straight for the exit if you want, with very little challenge, but there are 10 hidden "bonus rooms" or something, and the challenge is to find them all. The level's title would say something like "Find all 10 secrets!" so people know to explore.

Maybe one's through a pipe at the top of the level and you need to get a racoon tail to fly up there, while another might be through a door behind bricks you need to break with a hard-to-find shell. Each bonus room would just be on a sub-screen with some coins spelling out the number of the room it is. That's the whole challenge: find them all if you want, for the simple reward of knowing you did it. Or just go for the flag.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 9, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You're capped at 3 1ups per course, so I imagine a lot of people will design courses with the meta-goal of getting 3UP (and everyone else will just make 1ups spew from every orifice and not give a poo poo).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You're capped at 3 1ups per course, so I imagine a lot of people will design courses with the meta-goal of getting 3UP (and everyone else will just make 1ups spew from every orifice and not give a poo poo).

I do like the idea of having one hidden, having exactly 100 coins, and having one where you can either bounce on or shell strike eight foes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

What do the 8 bit Mario amiibos do?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Junpei Hyde posted:

They let you play as "Giant Small Mario".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

They make the Small Mario sprite much larger, apply a CRT filter and reskin all the enemies (for example, Koopa Troopas have little Mario hats and moustaches, Lakitu gets replaced by Luigi...)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

So when it came time to decide what exactly the amiibo did they just shrugged and decided it did five ridiculous and useless things at once.

Good.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Kins posted:

They make the Small Mario sprite much larger, apply a CRT filter and reskin all the enemies (for example, Koopa Troopas have little Mario hats and moustaches, Lakitu gets replaced by Luigi...)

Game Of The Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

The Kins posted:

So gameplay-wise it replicates the mega mushroom from NSMB? That's pretty sweet,.

• Locked thread