Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The thing is, unless the monster is a spellcaster or has spell-like abilities they don't get anything but attacking to do, just like your party non-casters. If you want other things for them to do, put in environment stuff for them to do, like working a trap system that hit a random square within a 3x3 grid around their target, ignoring each missed square once they've missed it before (so if they've missed to the left once, and you roll it again, reroll). I'm sure other people can come up with better poo poo than me, but the same idea for things that you'd put in to make stuff more interesting for the party you can do for the monsters. Also be prepared for them to take over whatever and use it themselves, which is fine too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I just wound up designing consumable throwing items like alchemist's fire and acid, except less terrible. I don't know why the designers thought that an action and 50 gp spent to throw acid or fire at someone within 20 feet of you would still only let you make an attack roll against a single target.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What I did for a "boss" fight with a boss that was supposed to be a caster was to have him take an action after every player's turn, and then just alternate between DEX/CON/CHA/INT saves and either deal the rated DPR for him, or inflict some sort of status effect like knocked prone or Disadvantage on next attack roll and so on. It was rabbits out of a hat all the way down so I wasn't just attacking vs AC the whole time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

30.5 Days posted:

1-3 minutes was my experience as well but it requires a lot of agreements by the table such as always rolling attack and damage together, bonuses if you are/shame if you aren't ready by the time the table comes around to you, etc. It didn't really improve the enjoyment of play AT ALL because the amount of pressure to rush through this tactical combat game that's supposed to be the fun part of D&D really sapped the enjoyment out of it.
"Roll first math second" is the biggest way to speed up a d20 game, especially 4e. If you roll a 15 or a 5 to hit then it rarely matters what your modifiers are.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is Out of the Abyss released already? Ritorix started a PbP of it but AFAIK its supposed to be out Sep 15

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks! I'm glad that worked out for you. I think you could probably just drop monster HP flat-out without any compensation in damage because damage still a bit on the high side thanks to a combination of me basing the damage numbers against a d10 hit dice class and the whole Hit Dice Healing mechanic not actually being all that great for enforcing any kind of longevity across an adventuring day.
Could you link to the post with your monster math? I'd really appreciate it, I couldn't find it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is Out of the Abyss released already? Ritorix started a PbP of it but AFAIK its supposed to be out Sep 15
It's out at traditional book stores, yeah.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Power Player posted:

Could you link to the post with your monster math? I'd really appreciate it, I couldn't find it.

About high time I moved it elsewhere. Try this

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm going to get a bunch of backgammon doubling dice and let players roll those instead of normal damage dice for crits in non-boss encounters.

Great DMing or Greatest DMing?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's goddamned brilliant is what that is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Unearthed Arcana article is finally out, featuring a rebuilt Ranger because the original one suuuuuucks

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/ranger

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

that hit "die" makes no goddamn sense in relation to the class role

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What is this "class role" you speak of. It's role-playing not... wait.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Unearthed Arcana article is finally out, featuring a rebuilt Ranger because the original one suuuuuucks

So they took away spells and gave it a surprise round and choice of THP, party-wide advantage for a turn, or bonus damage on one attack...all of which are 1/rest? Sounds lame.

They gave it Primeval Awareness but no spell slots to use with it. rip

Edit: "D&D 5e: These game mechanics...are highly volatile and might be unstable; if you use them, be ready to rule on any issues that come up."

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 9, 2015

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
One to three levels of ranger on a rogue might not be terrible if you want to build a sniper.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Ambuscade would seem to mesh well with Assassin Rogue

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

2d6 hit die size, eh?

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Generic Octopus posted:

So they took away spells and gave it a surprise round and choice of THP, party-wide advantage for a turn, or bonus damage on one attack...all of which are 1/rest? Sounds lame.

They gave it Primeval Awareness but no spell slots to use with it. rip

Edit: "D&D 5e: These game mechanics...are highly volatile and might be unstable; if you use them, be ready to rule on any issues that come up."
They also have proficiency on Dexterity and Wisdom saving throws, making it one of the best classes to start off as.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah Ambuscade would seem to mesh well with Assassin Rogue

Maybe. Ambuscade/Assassinate gives you advantage for that pseudo-turn, but without actual Surprise you won't crit.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
So Ambuscade is pretty much straight up better than Action Surge, right? You get to use it before anyone else can do anything, and you can use it every combat.

The animal companions seem really weak. Summon a Brown Bear for one minute but you've got to concentrate, and you can only do it once a day. Brown Bears are CR 1. Conjure Animals, a third level spell, summons up a CR 2 beastie or two CR 1s. Sure, you get to toss out 2d6+X temp hp when you do it, but that's not much in way of compensation.

The Stealth mechanic is weird in the whole "well orcs B and D can see you plain as day, but orc C is clueless" way.

Nice job with Primeval Awareness still costing a spell slot when this new ranger doesn't get spells. Real slick move there.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's look at the real losers, here. If rangers don't have spells, bards can't poach them ten levels early.

For real though, Primeval Awareness is trash and it not functioning will matter to exactly nobody because Primeval Awareness is traaaaash.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hmm. Animal companions are difficult to balance, can be awkward to handle (e.g. can you take your wolf into town with you?) and often fall behind in power and survivability as the character levels up. Solution: Make them magic!

Oh, and even though you have to concentrate to keep your animal companion around, you can apparently continue controlling it even while you're unconscious. Because rangers are JUST THAT STRONG-WILLED.

This article follows in the proud Unearthed Arcana tradition of having apparently been tossed off during someone's lunch break.

dwarf74 posted:

2d6 hit die size, eh?

Back in 1E, rangers got two dice for HP at first level when everyone else got one. I think that's pretty much the only reason they did this instead of just giving them a d12.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 9, 2015

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

How is Ambuscade not the greatest one level dip ever?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

So Ambuscade is pretty much straight up better than Action Surge, right? You get to use it before anyone else can do anything, and you can use it every combat.

The animal companions seem really weak. Summon a Brown Bear for one minute but you've got to concentrate, and you can only do it once a day. Brown Bears are CR 1. Conjure Animals, a third level spell, summons up a CR 2 beastie or two CR 1s. Sure, you get to toss out 2d6+X temp hp when you do it, but that's not much in way of compensation.

But with Action Surge, you can take any Action! Ambuscade limits you to just Attack and Hide! (yes it's dumb but w/e, Fighters are the forsaken class)

Also slow down with all that power-gaming; Invoking the spirit is different from Materializing the spirit, and both are bonus actions, so it's one or the other. You want that sweet 2d6+Wis thp and a bear buddy on the same turn!? Pff, entitled player.

Power Player posted:

How is Ambuscade not the greatest one level dip ever?

If you're a caster you might not care about Attack or Hide, which is what you're limited to.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Dex and Wisdom are both "good" saves. Every other class is supposed to have one of the good saves and one of the uncommon ones. This isn't how it's supposed to work.

Hit dice are a goddamn mystery now. Do they have a hit "die" that is 2d6 in size? Or do they have hit dice equal to 1d6, except more of them? The reason this matters is because of things like the Durable feat, which states that the minimum amount of healing from a hit die is [con mod * 2]. So if I have a con mod of +2, does that mean that spending one hit die is 2d6 with the minimum of 4? Or do I have a huge amount of d6's that each of have a minimum of 4? That's kind of important for a resource management dungeon crawl game.

Speaking of hit dice, why do Rangers now have hit points equal to a Barbarian?

Ambuscade is a free bonus action every single combat and immunity to surprise. For real?

Skirmisher's Stealth has a lot of slapstick comedy potential. Walk up from behind a wall to someone in broad daylight while yodeling, kick him in the balls, and then walk off again behind the wall... and your target has no idea what just happened. Even though his friends saw everything and they can just tell him. But no, he just cannot see through the trick. That's even better than the Rogue's cunning action. Not to mention really silly.

Spirit Companion is once per day but it also recharges after a rest. That's not how 5e's mechanics are supposed to be worded. It should say that you can just summon it as a bonus action, but when you've done so you cannot do so again until after you finish a short or long rest. Sloppy writing, unnecessarily inconsistent. (Edit: Wait, no, I see what they mean now. That makes the wording all the poorer though.)

Primevil Awareness does literally nothing for these Rangers. Good God seriously?

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 9, 2015

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Selachian posted:

Oh, and even though you have to concentrate to keep your animal companion around, you can apparently continue controlling it even while you're unconscious. Because rangers are JUST THAT STRONG-WILLED.

Note that falling unconscious breaks concentration.

So yeah... these Rangers have a special ability that lets them control something while unconscious, but that thing does cease to exist when they are unconscious. You just can't make this poo poo up.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Generic Octopus posted:

But with Action Surge, you can take any Action! Ambuscade limits you to just Attack and Hide! (yes it's dumb but w/e, Fighters are the forsaken class)

Also slow down with all that power-gaming; Invoking the spirit is different from Materializing the spirit, and both are bonus actions, so it's one or the other. You want that sweet 2d6+Wis thp and a bear buddy on the same turn!? Pff, entitled player.

If you're a caster you might not care about Attack or Hide, which is what you're limited to.
So for every martial class it's the greatest one-level dip ever. I mean, you might run into some issues because of armor proficiency, but for a barb it's a no-brainer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

Hit dice are a goddamn mystery now. Do they have a hit "die" that is 2d6 in size? Or do they have hit dice equal to 1d6, except more of them? The reason this matters is because of things like the Durable feat, which states that the minimum amount of healing from a hit die is [con mod * 2]. So if I have a con mod of +2, does that mean that spending one hit die is 2d6 with the minimum of 4? Or do I have a huge amount of d6's that each of have a minimum of 4? That's kind of important for a resource management dungeon crawl game.

Mearls sez the ranger gets to add his/her Con mod to each hit die separately.

All hail the rangertank.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Haha oh wow! That's huge compared to Fighters and Barbarians. Why is the lightly armored skirmisher suddenly so durable?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Because these articles are written on the bus on the way to work.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

quote:

Each time you gain a level, you gain 1 additional Hit Die. Roll that Hit Die, add your Constitution modifier to the roll, and add the total to your hit point maximum.

That's from the basic rules. Not sure if that means that you gain 2x constitution on a level-up as well, or if it's just when spending it to regain hit points.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

This makes no sense given the PHB text on hit dice but what do I know.

Sage Genesis posted:

Note that falling unconscious breaks concentration.

So yeah... these Rangers have a special ability that lets them control something while unconscious, but that thing does cease to exist when they are unconscious. You just can't make this poo poo up.

Amazing. Didn't even think about that.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

Skirmisher's Stealth has a lot of slapstick comedy potential. Walk up from behind a wall to someone in broad daylight while yodeling, kick him in the balls, and then walk off again behind the wall... and your target has no idea what just happened. Even though his friends saw everything and they can just tell him. But no, he just cannot see through the trick. That's even better than the Rogue's cunning action. Not to mention really silly.
Must've have been the wind.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

Haha oh wow! That's huge compared to Fighters and Barbarians. Why is the lightly armored skirmisher suddenly so durable?

Because hp is abstract and in not a direct measure of phydical endurance :pseudo:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Partywide gimmick: everyone starts as level 1 Ranger and then progresses in their "normal" class.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Generic Octopus posted:

Maybe. Ambuscade/Assassinate gives you advantage for that pseudo-turn, but without actual Surprise you won't crit.

Yeah, but you can get surprise as an assassin just by hiding before the fight starts and then taking the first shot. Since surprise doesn't end until after your first turn in combat and the ranger feature gives you an extra turn (including bonus action and move) you can get up to two turns of surprise bow strikes and the ensuing critical hits, using your bonus actions to either hide or stay hidden.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

LightWarden posted:

Yeah, but you can get surprise as an assassin just by hiding before the fight starts

This is pretty table/DM dependent though, at least in my experience.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Generic Octopus posted:

This makes no sense given the PHB text

New thread title!

Generic Octopus posted:

Or this.

Either way it's not particularly surprising that they're going to need to twist themselves into knots again to "clarify" their own rules.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Generic Octopus posted:

Well, you could scout 30 to 50 feet ahead of the party since you can put your starting Expertise into Stealth and Perception, and if you've got a longbow you don't actually need to get all that close. If you run into trouble you can use your bonus action to dash/hide and bug back to the rest of the party after taking a shot. Ranger bonus means you have an extra turn buffer to figure out if you screwed up or not.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Mearls has been clarifying a few things on twitter...

Rangers having best hit dice is very much intentional, citing survivability of Aragorn (from movies, not books even :smaug: )

Spell-less ranger archetype he feels is better rolled into a fighter build

Rogues who take the dip can sneak attack twice. (I think that means once in the bonus round and once on the first round?)

Bonus action attack / action surge can be used in the Ambuscade round

6 attacks before round 1 at level 7: "Rngr5/Ftr2:Ambuscade atk, 2 normal atks, bonus action atk via TWF or Polearm Master, then Action Surge for 2 more atks"

Oh yeah, and you can spend your movement during Abuscade in addition to attack/hide

I guess this is their idea of an answer to complaints of caster supremacy: Be a ranger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Needs to require minimum rolled stats for proper verisimilitude