Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

flosofl posted:

That's still a thing? Not the hate, get that. I meant Access is still a program that is in use, like there's a current version of it and everything?

EDIT: Holy poo poo. There's actually an Access 2013.

Yes there is, I've bought a separate copy of it :)

Of all people it was for a field sales rep who "Wanted to create a database", he still wanted it after a long "Are you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you want this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

AS/400 that the company runs on was froze up this morning.

The backup tried to run but it still had Friday's tape in it (since Monday was a holiday) so the whole thing just locks up until someone changes the tape. :haw:

Since my loving moron admin can't fix it I'm having an outside consultant do it.

Do you not have a tape library or something?

(But really given your past posts I'm going to put my money on "Old dumbass admin has it set up completely incorrectly" since there's no way not having a tape available should cause the system to just sit there with it's thumb up it's butt. If I try and run a backup without tapes available it starts, tries 3 times to find a tape and when that fails just ends and reboots normally)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gwaihir posted:

Do you not have a tape library or something?

(But really given your past posts I'm going to put my money on "Old dumbass admin has it set up completely incorrectly" since there's no way not having a tape available should cause the system to just sit there with it's thumb up it's butt. If I try and run a backup without tapes available it starts, tries 3 times to find a tape and when that fails just ends and reboots normally)

It's just a single tape drive in the iSeries

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have a customer that's a chain of dental offices. Today one of their software vendors decided we were up for an upgrade. They jumped in through Teamviewer and needless to say they botched it badly.

Fortunately I figured that might happen so I took a backup of the database before they got in. When they failed at reverting to the old version, I got this gem from their support:

quote:

Some serious issue on this copmuter. The DB is installed, but it is not there.
I think we will need a new pc, I've never seen anything like this
There is no romexis_DB
I had been watching them the whole time, so I flip over to the SQL Management console and start restoring the full backup from hours prior, then I get this:

quote:

There's nothing to restore the DB to
It doesn't work like that
You have to restore the DB to an existing DB
As you might expect it worked perfectly fine to restore, and so far I'm two for two on dental software vendors not understanding how their own software works.

I'm still not sure how they thought a SQL server level backup of the whole database wouldn't be able to be restored...

On the plus side this has let me rack up billable hours all freaking day while basically sitting here playing Minecraft and watching to make sure they don't do anything too stupid.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I work at a not small company, and my group actually gets dinged if each person doesn't a)take 2/3s of their alloted PTO in a year and b) There has to be at least one stretch of 3 consecutive days on PTO.

Now, the enforcement is due to security policies for certain positions, but using PTO is strongly encouraged for all employees. We even have a whole section in the empoyee portal on how to maintain an healthy work-life balance. There's even been rumblings of stopping email delivery between 10pm to 5 am, but I think implementation would be tricky since there are a bunch of departments that are truly 24/7 operations.

If the author had surveyed only people who work at companies with policies like mine, it would be a very different article.

Cherry-picking is fun.

That being said, even with what *I* view as a generous and encouraging PTO policy, my Euro colleagues still think we're all insane over workers. One of them said he thinks it boils down to in Europe there's more of vibe that you work to enable the life you want live, whereas in the US, you order your life around your work.

I was once told that my view on work/life balance was out of whack because I didn't want to stay extra hours to work on projects.

Look. If the building is burning down/poo poo's broken, I'll be happy to work extra hours. If I'm working extra hours because X project isn't meeting it's deadline, either the deadline is too strict or we're understaffed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wolrah posted:

I have a customer that's a chain of dental offices. Today one of their software vendors decided we were up for an upgrade. They jumped in through Teamviewer and needless to say they botched it badly.

Fortunately I figured that might happen so I took a backup of the database before they got in. When they failed at reverting to the old version, I got this gem from their support:

I had been watching them the whole time, so I flip over to the SQL Management console and start restoring the full backup from hours prior, then I get this:

As you might expect it worked perfectly fine to restore, and so far I'm two for two on dental software vendors not understanding how their own software works.

I'm still not sure how they thought a SQL server level backup of the whole database wouldn't be able to be restored...

On the plus side this has let me rack up billable hours all freaking day while basically sitting here playing Minecraft and watching to make sure they don't do anything too stupid.

I have had to tell more than one Intuit tech that remoting into a file server and trying to apply a permissions change to the entire shared directory is not an acceptable course of action. One of them even denied he was trying to change the permissions after I watched him do it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Access is great for business as long as you never want to grow to a normal sized company. 👍

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

I was once told that my view on work/life balance was out of whack because I didn't want to stay extra hours to work on projects.

Look. If the building is burning down/poo poo's broken, I'll be happy to work extra hours. If I'm working extra hours because X project isn't meeting it's deadline, either the deadline is too strict or we're understaffed.

What the gently caress. That's like the exact opposite of what is meant by work/life balance. The whole point is to reduce stress on the employees. If stress is reduced, people tend to be happier, if they are happier, they are more productive.

And, yeah, I'm with you on the whole voluntarily pitching in on a project or high severity situation, but there's still some quid pro quo involved. Like comp time or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Still going. They managed to unfuck the software side of things after the previously mentioned restore from backup, now it looks like they might have screwed up the really expensive 3D xray machine (which just got a brand new CPU upgrade today) by applying the wrong firmware to some part of it.

O = on-site tech, R = remote tech

quote:

O - ok . was going to put it in 3d mode . no selections
R - This has the protouch?
O - no

<...>

R - did it throw an error again?
O - yes, cannot find anything in service
R - Are you at the main screen
O - yes
R - give call

<...>

O - enabled features disabled
R - 183?
O - h183. only have pan mode
O - 183 is attached sensor not suitable for selected program
R - but I'm just trying to check the firmware
R - that shouldn't happen

<...>

R - do you have the 3D sensor on the unit?
O - yes .light active
R - it doesn't seem to be reading it.
This is one of those times when working from home has its perks. I can half-assedly watch this on my third monitor all night if I need to while the hours keep ticking. I'm considering teamviewering my desktop from my phone so I can wander across the street to the bar instead of sitting here though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wolrah posted:

Eaglesoft or Dentrix?

(I've had this same conversation with both.)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

It's just a single tape drive in the iSeries
What happens? Does the machine drop down to restricted mode for the backup and then never come out of it until the backup completes and it IPL's? Because if it does, then admin really is a dumbass.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ConfusedUs posted:

Eaglesoft or Dentrix?

(I've had this same conversation with both.)

Eaglesoft is the other pain in the rear end at that site (that old DailyWTF "Beaglesoft" entry still applies as far as version 15), but in this case it's Romexis that's causing the fun.

I actually wish Eaglesoft used a standard database like SQL Server, even if it was SQL Express, because at least that would be better documented than the Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere backend it runs on.

It's wonderful when we have a 7GB database but the Sybase revision they use is so old there's no 64 bit version. Combine that with their horribly inefficient use of the database and we've ended up brute forcing the performance by using a third party tool to cache the entire database in RAM. Even Eaglesoft 17 which we'll be upgrading to soon still uses a 32 bit only database. 18 is apparently in beta now and I can't get a response about whether that's changed, nor whether Windows 10 will be supported.

Hooray specialty market software.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 8, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wolrah posted:

Eaglesoft is the other pain in the rear end at that site (that old DailyWTF "Beaglesoft" entry still applies as far as version 15), but in this case it's Romexis that's causing the fun.

I actually wish Eaglesoft used a standard database like SQL Server, even if it was SQL Express, because at least that would be better documented than the Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere backend it runs on.

It's wonderful when we have a 7GB database but the Sybase revision they use is so old there's no 64 bit version. Combine that with their horribly inefficient use of the database and we've ended up brute forcing the performance by using a third party tool to cache the entire database in RAM. Even Eaglesoft 17 which we'll be upgrading to soon still uses a 32 bit only database. 18 is apparently in beta now and I can't get a response about whether that's changed, nor whether Windows 10 will be supported.

Dental software sucks. I've had to explain the whole Eaglesoft backend like ten times to every department under the sun.

Our thing? It backs up MSSQL and MySQL. It doesn't do...whatever the gently caress Eaglesoft has (apparently Sybase, thanks for that).

From this perspective Dentrix is worse, because it MIGHT have a MSSQL backend, depending on version. At least Eaglesoft is CONSISTENTLY something our thing can't talk to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ConfusedUs posted:

Dental software sucks. I've had to explain the whole Eaglesoft backend like ten times to every department under the sun.
That's not surprising, I've had to explain the Eaglesoft backend to Patterson's own support more than a few times. At least your people have the excuse of being third parties. I once drove a copy of the database on a USB key from Cleveland to their tech center in the middle of Illinois because they couldn't manage to set up any way for me to securely upload a >4GB file to them, so I'm not exactly a big fan of their technical abilities.

Just caught this one in the chat, I kind of want to know more...

quote:

this network board does not have network ports

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

A woefully underpowered server arrived for deployment in a datacenter, with no iDRAC/iLO on the spec.

I guess this is what happens when you let sales spec their own stuff so they can increase their margins by pushing the costs down and setting their own sale prices.

:negative:

Send it back saying it doesn't meet datacenter compliance standards, and is therefor unusable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolrah posted:

Just caught this one in the chat, I kind of want to know more...

quote:

this network board does not have network ports

Surely at this point they know you're watching and are just loving with you. Right? Right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flosofl posted:

Surely at this point they know you're watching and are just loving with you. Right? Right?

I'm almost not sure anymore. This happened, then the remote tech disconnected.

quote:

O - waiting on call
R - our phone systems are down. We've been closed for about a half hour.
R - sorry, I couldn't call in time

The on-site guy is still there, but he's an installer not an electronics or software tech so without the remote guy I don't think we're getting any further tonight. We've somehow ended up with the software upgraded but not accepting its license so no one can use it plus the hardware no longer recognizes its most important sensor.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Aunt Beth posted:

What happens? Does the machine drop down to restricted mode for the backup and then never come out of it until the backup completes and it IPL's? Because if it does, then admin really is a dumbass.

I know ours will still work if backups fail but because it's part of a nightly batch of jobs they won't continue until an admin logs on and acknowledges the error.

So as our old as dirt tape library is failing frequently our AS400 analyst will wake himself up at 1am to check the job and then go back to sleep. Every. Night.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

So as our old as dirt tape library is failing frequently our AS400 analyst will wake himself up at 1am to check the job and then go back to sleep. Every. Night.
What on earth library are you using and why not just have it fixed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

I don't know. It's been doing it forever (I've only been here like a year) and I have a call into an outside guy to talk to him about it.

Yes, every loving holiday they come into a non-working system.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Aunt Beth posted:

What on earth library are you using and why not just have it fixed?

I don't know and we have a new tape library, it just hasn't been hooked up yet. I don't have anything to do with our AS400 so I have no idea why.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aunt Beth posted:

That's the default behavior.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

That's the default behavior.
Right. But that assumes things like operators to monitor the backup, and planning, and sense, none of which dumbass AS/400 admin has. It can be changed but takes :effort:

hihifellow posted:

I don't know and we have a new tape library, it just hasn't been hooked up yet. I don't have anything to do with our AS400 so I have no idea why.
What is the new one? I love tape automation :3

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
isn't it ironic, don't you think?

I have an ongoing issue where the ioatdma module keeps crashing a small subset of c7000/G8 and G9 blades at a rather reliable time. We aren't using intel server nics that support it, so there's an obvious answer to blacklist it. My management is actually being super supportive of me in trying to chase down the actual problem and get a fix. its like a nice little puzzle.

I finally got crashdump configured and working in the environment where this happens.

part of how crashdump works is it loads a special kernel called a crashkernel to send crash dump info to a remote place if you want.

of course, the crashkernel wants to load the ioatdma module. and it does...
...which crashes about 1/4 of the time during my tests.

:negative:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Somebody is probably going to get fired tomorrow. It's definitely not me, but someone on our presales team hosed up massively. To the tune of a very large sum of money. Like holy poo poo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

psydude posted:

Somebody is probably going to get fired tomorrow. It's definitely not me, but someone on our presales team hosed up massively. To the tune of a very large sum of money. Like holy poo poo.

Storytime!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It seems like I get a new urgent request every 2 hours, and then my site manager openly wonders why we can't clear any of the other requests and projects. :allears:

You know, part of a site manager's job is to manage user expectations and not just say "yes it'll be done today" to everyone who talks to her. On top of that she wants us to help her move her personal poo poo out of a worksite area during work hours. Uh, did you not hear that we lost a guy and are trying to keep our queue under control plus whatever random request a VIP or someone in the hall wants us to do?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

psydude posted:

since i know you've posted about working in the DoD space I am looking forward to this story

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

of course, the crashkernel wants to load the ioatdma module. and it does...
...which crashes about 1/4 of the time during my tests.

This is actually configurable. You can blacklist in kdump.conf, or tweak mkdumprd (I think --builtin pretends it's there even if it isn't)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

evol262 posted:

This is actually configurable. You can blacklist in kdump.conf, or tweak mkdumprd (I think --builtin pretends it's there even if it isn't)

Yeah but augeas doesn't support the blacklist directive so I get to redo the entire thing i wrote up for this.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

wolrah posted:

So get a viewer for your eaglesoft database and look at the users table :) Plain text as far as the eye can see. Also the hardcoded SA password that is used on all installations (at least used to be) is pretty great too! I brought up these issues to them in the past and was told that it should be addressed through network and OS security and that the database is secure otherwise! I am pretty sure that anyone can view the DB with the viewer as well as there is read access to everyone (I might be remembering this wrong). I worked at a dental school for a long time so I had my fill of "enterprise" dental software.

They also told us that in order to do a DB backup everyone must be out of the system. Luckily databases don't grow.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

wolrah posted:

Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere

Oh, now you're taking me through the Wayback Machine, back to an era at a different company where we used some of the worst software in the world, BankerInsight and TellerInsight. BI/TI both ran on Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere and had no central management, so all 50+ Bank Branches had to have individual physical servers with their own unique BI/TI databases. The software was a huge chore and backups were incredibly painful because of the antiquated way it handled them; all backups were done flatfile locally, which then had to be robocopied from each branch server to a central CIFS share, which was then backed up using Commvault, which was later copied to tape. Keep in mind that these were at most paired ISDN lines at the time for each branch, so speed was abysmal.

quote:

that old DailyWTF "Beaglesoft" entry still applies as far as version 15

I'm guessing this is similar to what FIS/FiServ (always get them mixed up) do with some of their products. For some reason they like to have an account in the DB called chorus that absolutely has to have top level permissions to everything associated with the app and the database.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nitrogen posted:

Yeah but augeas doesn't support the blacklist directive so I get to redo the entire thing i wrote up for this.

ask me tomorrow but we solved this with augeas and puppet

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

You can use a template (since augeas is particularly stupid, and crashes if there's a parameter it doesn't know about), but I'd also file a bug against augeas. I've filed 4 for kdump (nfs, ssh, fencing, core collector), and they've all been fixed rapidly. You could get it into RHEL7.3 at least, with a patch you can apply to the lenses on what you're running to get it working.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

hihifellow posted:

I know ours will still work if backups fail but because it's part of a nightly batch of jobs they won't continue until an admin logs on and acknowledges the error.

This is amazing, god drat.

Like, that would be a pretty loving good incentive for me to look up the command to set automatically replying to specific messages with your desired "Continue/abort/debug dump/whatever the hell you want" response.

But nah I'll just wake up in the middle of the night every night instead, that's definitely easier than learning something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

At least how many zeroes are involved?

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010
So we are moving away from landlines to skype for business - running on headsets through the PC. Is this as hosed up as it sounds given if the network goes down its bye bye phones as well?

Anyone made this move have any recomendations as to actual physical phones that can connect to the pc and be used via skype for business as some of our users are going to have heart attacks over this. I've been to the skype for business site, (no access for emergency calls how reassuring), followed various links and it seem that phones certified for Lync can work but thats a dissapointingly small list.

Well at the least it will make everyone hate central IT again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

seadweller posted:

So we are moving away from landlines to skype for business - running on headsets through the PC. Is this as hosed up as it sounds given if the network goes down its bye bye phones as well?

Anyone made this move have any recomendations as to actual physical phones that can connect to the pc and be used via skype for business as some of our users are going to have heart attacks over this. I've been to the skype for business site, (no access for emergency calls how reassuring), followed various links and it seem that phones certified for Lync can work but thats a dissapointingly small list.

With any VOIP solution you are going to want at least one landline for 911 calls. You might be able to get a line really cheap that only does 911 with no local service.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I only have experience getting an office up on Jabber. The phones still have a backup line to ensure emergency dialing is always an option and generally the hard phones (tied into Jabber on their desktop) work great. The only person that uses a 100% soft phone is the receptionist and she never has any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

seadweller posted:

HP makes some relatively cheap Lync, excuse me Skype for Business phones :thumbsup: , that have worked out OK for me in the past. Specifically this model:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-4120-Phone-Series-J9766A/dp/B0061RY4DU
As mentioned you'll probably want a backup physical line for 911 calls. If you don't already have a backup internet connection see if you can get one for your voip system. The cellular connection in our area is strong enough that we are actually going to be able to use LTE for our phones backup connections should anything happen to our incoming fiber line and backup cable connection.