Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Rinkles posted:

Don't think they add weight, and boarders still jump and hang on regardless.

Really? I could swear they did. Oh well, I've been spending 100% of my scrap on harpoon upgrades, bigger engines/exhaust/tires/ramming grills, and better hobo brawlin' gloves anyway. I'll grab the spikes eventually :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

AirRaid posted:

The whole second half of the story arc was totally amazing, a really good proper Max story.

Rhymenoserous posted:

A lot of people are down on the ending missions despite them being the most Mad Max things that have ever Mad Maxed. I loved them.

Truth! It was great.

Funny thing though aside from the first film, each movie ended on a fairly hopeful note. Well, for other people at least. In Road Warrior, Max was left with nothing (....again) and was busted to poo poo, but Papagallo's people survived and started new lives. In Thunderdome, Max was left with nothing (........again) and was busted to poo poo, but Savannah Nix's people survived and populated post-fall Sydney and started new lives. In Fury Road, Max was left with nothing and was busted to poo poo and probably woozy from blood loss, but Furiosa's people survived and started new li HEY.

The ending to the game just has Max end up right where he started, though arguably all the people you help throughout the wasteland are far better off. v:v:v

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 9, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The ending to fury road is bogus because they're on an aquifer. Next film should definitely start with it running out.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Don't say what's in the ending of the game without spoilers, dude. It's been out less than 2 weeks.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Don't say what's in the ending of the game without spoilers, dude. It's been out less than 2 weeks.

Max gets Mad. There I spoiled it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The last few missions after getting the V8 are the game's best part.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Tony Montana posted:

Erm, I didn't but I put that line in spoilers just for you anyway. Sorry!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Parkingtigers posted:

I was just being facetious on the something awful dot com. :ohdear:

If it's too many I'll take some out. Just sharing pretty pictures, of which I happened to have many.

We only conduct serious business here, sir/madam.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Max gets Mad. There I spoiled it.

What the gently caress! :argh:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Leather Bear posted:

The last few missions after getting the V8 are the game's best part.

Is it worth it to kinda rush to that story point and then just dick around with the rest of the open world? I have the v6 maxed out but that whole bottom tier of v8 looks tempting....

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Erm, I didn't but I put that line in spoilers just for you anyway. Sorry!

No prob.

BexGu posted:

Is it worth it to kinda rush to that story point and then just dick around with the rest of the open world? I have the v6 maxed out but that whole bottom tier of v8 looks tempting....

The quest line for the V8 is long and awesome. It's quite and undertaking, so I'd probably suggest gear up a little so you're not totally useless and then if you wanna go kick it off, go for it. It sends you to pretty much the endgame corners of the map though.. so if you get out there and you're getting your rear end kicked, you can always come back and return later.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

BexGu posted:

The V8 itself was pretty underwhelming imo, but the story gated after it was good enough that after avoiding the story for most of my play-through, I pretty much blitzed everything after that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

BexGu posted:

For all intents and purposes, no. Getting the V8 doesn't transform the game. The car might make a difference noise. Enjoy the game at your own pace. And the switch happens so close to the end that it's inconsequential.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

I didn't add them coz Max never had them in any movies. Yeah I've been waiting for a Max game for a while.

Same for me. They don't seem like something he'd have on his car anyway.

Same reason I don't have any decals on the Opus.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 9, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm not playing as max right now, i'm playing as murderhobo and gollum.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Leather Bear posted:

For all intents and purposes, no. Getting the V8 doesn't transform the game. The car might make a difference noise. Enjoy the game at your own pace. And the switch happens so close to the end that it's inconsequential.

You had me at "different noise".

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Is stock V8 better than Humongous V6?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

It has two more cylinders and when you boost it shoots blue flames instead of yellow.

So yes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Performance wise? Slightly better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
how do i start the "wasteland classic" mission. because the objective says i am supposed to upgrade the jack, but i cant without armor.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Buy and install all the other Jack bits, then go to Gutgash's place IIRC.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Bigger engine only improves acceleration (and decreases handling) anyway, top speed is affected by Exhaust. Having said that it is glorious to have the biggest V8 with no heavy armour options on there (essentially the Speed Freak archangel, but I prefer more lift on my springs) so you can zoom around the place like crazy. It's incredible how much bettter the cars handle with less weight.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Buy and install all the other Jack bits, then go to Gutgash's place IIRC.

Once you install all the other parts it gives you a marker for going to gutgash.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also the sheer joy of having a supercharger so massive it blocks a considerable portion of max's fields of view in first person mode, as you upgrade the v8.

Armor is funny, by the time you get really heavy armor the weight bogs you down so much I think you're better off without much. And when Chumbucket is fully upgraded taking damage isn't as big of a problem.

I think going maximum on bumper, engine, and pipes is the way to go for ultimate carnage. Fully upgraded thunderpoon also OHKOs any vehicle you'll encounter in the wasteland I believe, which kind of takes some of the challenge away. Nothing more fun than ramming a car head-on so hard it explodes and flips it's burning wreck behind you :black101:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Nothing more fun than ramming a car head-on so hard it explodes and flips it's burning wreck behind you :black101:

OK that was a thunderpoon but still :v:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Has anyone successfully completed the Time Bomb race as the boom bug? I can shotgun the first 2 vehicles sometimes but there's approximately 20 drat cars and that thing has no health at all.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah that one is kinda BS.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
I actually really liked the races with the super fragile cars. They make you focus on defensive driving and utilizing terrain more than any other point in the game, and really make you feel hunted.

I kind of wish the rest of the game was challenging enough that you'd sometimes have to run away from stuff rather than always being the one who's chasing.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
:psyduck: Holy gently caress, the V8 questline.

The villains in this game truly disgust me for being bugfuck crazy monsters. Immortan Joe at least had a plan to try and maintain a civilization with a stable line of succession, horrible as it was. Scrotus and Stank Gum just want to destroy everything that they can't steal.

This hits a lot harder after watching the original Mad Max the other night.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So I picked up this game last night with the 40% sale on GMG after I heard good things from Penny Arcade. But I've also noticed the game seems to be divisive between other reviewers. So what's up, good game with lovely scores or is it not a good game and others are trying to hype it up?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

So I picked up this game last night with the 40% sale on GMG after I heard good things from Penny Arcade. But I've also noticed the game seems to be divisive between other reviewers. So what's up, good game with lovely scores or is it not a good game and others are trying to hype it up?

See first post of the thead :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Capn Beeb posted:

So turn your upgrades off. :shobon:

Yeah I'm pretty much never going to upgrade past that outfit right there, armor be damned.

Spikeguy posted:

Neither, it's far from :mediocre: or even "terrible" as some reviews seem to claim, but it's also not The Best Game Ever Made. It's merely really good, and it's even better if you're even remotely a fan of the Mad Max universe.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much never going to upgrade past that outfit right there, armor be damned.

Seriously. The first upgrade looks like proper Mad Max. All the subsequent ones make him look like he should be in Call of Duty.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I played the game with a zero armor, low weight Magnum Opus. All zoom and boom tactics. When that didn't work, I harpooned the drivers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Spikeguy posted:

Reviewers are sick of open world games, presumably because they're a right loving hassle to review.

This is a good open world game. If you don't like open world games turn back now.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The upgrade thing in jeets stronghold thats supposed to collect scrap while I'm offline doesnt work, and it seems that my allied camps have suddenly stopped giving out any scrap aswell. Anybody else have this problem? (I'm playing this on xboxone)

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!

KlavoHunter posted:

:psyduck: Holy gently caress, the V8 questline.

The villains in this game truly disgust me for being bugfuck crazy monsters. Immortan Joe at least had a plan to try and maintain a civilization with a stable line of succession, horrible as it was. Scrotus and Stank Gum just want to destroy everything that they can't steal.

This hits a lot harder after watching the original Mad Max the other night.

I thought it was pretty weird the way that every antagonist in the films have a clear goal of some sort (even if all the underlings are crazy assholes going about it), but then you get to this game and every enemy's bio is just THIS GUY FUCKIN' LOVES TORTURE

of course it's nothing compared to fury road's portrayal of women being followed up by the game's token woman in five tons of eyeshadow, wearing the only clean and revealing clothes in the wasteland, whose main role in the plot is... well, yeah

the bsd boys fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 9, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
WB Games didn't give Polygon, et. al a nice bundle of cash and free goodies like they did with Arkham Knight.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

TRON JEREMY posted:

I thought it was pretty weird the way that every antagonist in the films have a clear goal of some sort (even if all the underlings are crazy assholes going about it), but then you get to this game and every enemy's bio is just THIS GUY FUCKIN' LOVES TORTURE

As I said, it reminds me of the first movie, where the Nightrider and Toecutter and their gang have no plan beyond indulging in violence and whatever else they desire.

Lord Humungous wants gasoline. Auntie Entity wants control of the methane power plant. Immortan Joe wants his harem back.

quote:

of course it's nothing compared to fury road's portrayal of women being followed up by the game's token woman in five tons of eyeshadow, wearing the only clean and revealing clothes in the wasteland, whose main role in the plot is... well, yeah

Hey, I was excited to pick up Tenderloin for the Gastown Race.
I did NOT expect what came after. :eyepop:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Dude, you're forgetting Pink Eye. Badass super-mechanic in a wheelchair, leader of a stronghold. She's Mad Max as gently caress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That poo poo owned. I was very :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Really should be a way to unlock Max's jacket and shotgun right at the beginning of the game :argh:

I wonder if you could poke around with cheat engine to toggle some flags for it.

KlavoHunter posted:

Hey, I was excited to pick up Tenderloin for the Gastown Race.
I did NOT expect what came after. :eyepop:

Same.

Was kinda hoping she could be a buddy after that, especially considering the events of the finale.

King Vidiot posted:

Good news! That's the post game unlock Main Force Patrol jacket that fills out your defense meter. :v:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 9, 2015

• Locked thread