Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I see nothing wrong with bikes, but everybody I meet does. My co-worker, a good friend, let loose the other day when we almost totaled a cyclist going the wrong way at night with no lights (wearing all black, too, as is normal), "I want all cyclists to be killed. They don't need to be on the road."

I said back, "Well, that's a little harsh. To me, either they need to be like pedestrians and stay on the sidewalk (not my favorite choice, but legal in Tempe, AZ as long as they flow with traffic ie: stay on the right side of the road even while on the sidewalk), or they need to be vehicles and stay on the road."

She responded along the lines of, "But they make the lane so slow and I have to wait to go around."

I tried my usual "you sit in a magic box and hit one of two buttons to do what you want to get to work, how bad is waiting for a few seconds," and, "Most all roads have either bike lanes, or are four lanes, so you always have options -- it's the cyclists that ride on the opposite side of the street or that transition from sidewalk to road unexpectedly that are the real problem," but she didn't understand at all. This is an otherwise very rational, reasonable, intelligent, calm, and tolerant person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
There are people who seem to latch onto a given pursuit exclusively for some imagined element of oppression. Unfortunately, they wind up becoming self-appointed spokespersons and attempt to prove points no one honestly cares about. See: open carry jackalopes who want to take an AK to the library, The Entire Helmet Debate, etc.

I've come to terms with this reality of the roadways: there are times and places where supersized vehicles just flat out own the proceedings. Honestly, they can't see you from their perch, you can't see anything past the tailgate, and their spontaneous lateral moves trump everything. It just isn't fun, and while you have a right to be there, you have no business being there. But fine, if someone wants to organize a show of force on behalf of the larger 2-wheel community, it isn't going to make coexistence more pleasant, and will likely be counterproductive, as was the case with Mean Mr. Mustache.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Ripoff posted:

Hahahahaha whoa, there son. Show me on the doll where the bicycle touched you.

Maybe you should leave the trailer once in a while and go out and see the world, you'll see where things are headed. Electric cars and motorcycle are becoming more viable each and every day, and the world isn't going to keep using gasoline because of taxation reasons. So how do we deal with this? We can tax electricity, we can add an additional sales tax to a bicycle, or hell, we can tax cars based on usage and weight. Gas tax isn't going to magically carry us into the future. I'm sorry your corporate overlords at Exxon-Mobil aren't happy about this, maybe you can go buy a 70's era truck and blow them a bit longer for their benefit.

Also your wingnut tears of "bicyclists don't pay taxes waah waah" :reddit: is hilariously stupid because bicyclists, cars and motorcycles don't do loving poo poo to your precious roads. If you really want to tax things fairly you gotta start hitting up those heavy OTR trucks that have serious axle weight (which itself is full of problems). Your loving gas tax is a hilarious joke as well because it only punishes people who drive bigger, gas-guzzling vehicles. It's regressive as hell because Mr. Six Figures is probably driving a top-tier Lexus/BMW hybrid or Tesla car while the poorer denizens of the inner cities have to drive cheaper trucks and cars, which are usually huge SUVs and cars that get poor mileage. If they drive the same as Mr. Six Figures, they're paying more in taxes per relative income. That said, you're probably okay with this because you come across as one of those "gently caress you; got mine" types that burns tires in your backyard every time someone buys an alternative fuel vehicle because it's not benefiting your lifestyle.

Using the word "entitlement" when trying to encourage people to use a system that benefits everyone financially (especially the poor, who don't have to pay a huge chunk of their income in keeping a car running) as well as decreasing the amount of automotive traffic around rush-hour and ultimately fights against global warming is the dumbest poo poo I've read on these forums in quite a while.

Bicyclists be like https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marv Hushman posted:

It just isn't fun, and while you have a right to be there, you have no business being there.

I like this saying. Or it should be a saying, regardless.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

That's pretty accurate for most bicyclists here in Portland.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marv Hushman posted:

There are people who seem to latch onto a given pursuit exclusively for some imagined element of oppression. Unfortunately, they wind up becoming self-appointed spokespersons and attempt to prove points no one honestly cares about. See: open carry jackalopes who want to take an AK to the library, The Entire Helmet Debate, etc.
But in this case, there actually is a lot of hate toward cyclists, it's not imagined. Yeah, a lot of people blow it out of proportion and get really overzealous in their activism, but cyclists in general get a lot of the same kind of abuse on roads that we get on motorcycles, with the added problem of not having near as much mainstream acceptance and public support.

quote:

I've come to terms with this reality of the roadways: there are times and places where supersized vehicles just flat out own the proceedings. Honestly, they can't see you from their perch, you can't see anything past the tailgate, and their spontaneous lateral moves trump everything. It just isn't fun, and while you have a right to be there, you have no business being there. But fine, if someone wants to organize a show of force on behalf of the larger 2-wheel community, it isn't going to make coexistence more pleasant, and will likely be counterproductive, as was the case with Mean Mr. Mustache.
This is definitely true. The cities that are better about supporting a bike community deal with it by keeping the designated bike routes on the lower-priority surface streets and outright restricting bikes on the truck routes and higher-traffic streets. Doesn't stop a lot of stupid cyclists from playing frogger on a 6-lane, though. I got no sympathy from them.

A little bit of Googling turns up a handful of sources saying that road maintenance and infrastructure development is only in part funded by gas and vehicle taxes. Most of it comes from property and sales taxes, local millages, and the sort of fees that basically everyone pays. Considering that in the US, most people on bikes also drive cars, cyclists aren't contributing any less to roads than anyone else. So the "pay gas and road tax" is basically some parroted bullshit from Fox News or your drunk uncle.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A little bit of Googling turns up a handful of sources saying that road maintenance and infrastructure development is only in part funded by gas and vehicle taxes. Most of it comes from property and sales taxes, local millages, and the sort of fees that basically everyone pays. Considering that in the US, most people on bikes also drive cars, cyclists aren't contributing any less to roads than anyone else. So the "pay gas and road tax" is basically some parroted bullshit from Fox News or your drunk uncle.
Every time someone brings up the gas tax you can summarily ignore everything they say about bikes for those reasons. Especially since as you say, local taxes pay far more into maintaining those local roads cyclists and pedestrians use, even more so since increased bike-ability and walk-ability has been shown time and time again to increase local revenue. Allowing motorized traffic to go 50 mph and make it a pain in the rear end to actually get to store-fronts in an area actually decreases revenue, who would have thought!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's pretty accurate for most bicyclists here in Portland.

One of my most hated things on my commute home at night is going over Skyline. It's a gorgeous, windy, curvy, NARROW, no-shoulder road. Tons of blind corners (nearly all of them), and lots of driveways.

And yet, every night I get to see cyclists riding uphill on it (did I mention it's steep? It's steep), sometimes 2-3 abreast. Because they have a right to be there.

I don't argue their rights at all - but it's loving dangerous just to ride a motorcycle or drive a car on that road, much less ride a bike, going significantly slower than the speed limit (~40mph), around blind corners. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cars veer over into the oncoming lane because OMG THIS BIKE IS GOING SO SLOW JESUS CHRIST. Not the cyclist's fault, but good god.

I'm honestly kind of surprised there aren't more of those little road memorial crosses along there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This is definitely true. The cities that are better about supporting a bike community deal with it by keeping the designated bike routes on the lower-priority surface streets and outright restricting bikes on the truck routes and higher-traffic streets. Doesn't stop a lot of stupid cyclists from playing frogger on a 6-lane, though. I got no sympathy from them.

This is a definite bugbear of mine - my commute includes the most-imaginatively-named road in the world, The Highway and the Limehouse Link (still, adjusted for inflation, the most expensive per-mile road in the world). Bikes are specifically banned from the latter (and for good reason, as you can see in that picture it's got really steep entrance and exits and is full of blind corners so is pretty much a death-run for cycles. The Highway isn't much better - it's got very tight lanes and cyclists have got nowhere to hide, and cars don't have room to give them space.

Of course you see cycles on them all the time, and it's *always* the lycra light-jumpers brigade. The point is that there is an expensive, grade-separated, dedicated cycle lane running along the old streets that these two roads replaced - and it's a more direct route (in fact is a more direct route between almost any two randomly-selected points on The Highway itself because of the way it meanders). But no, these wankers have the moral right to use these roads and totes are going to.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is a definite bugbear of mine - my commute includes the most-imaginatively-named road in the world, The Highway and the Limehouse Link (still, adjusted for inflation, the most expensive per-mile road in the world). Bikes are specifically banned from the latter (and for good reason, as you can see in that picture it's got really steep entrance and exits and is full of blind corners so is pretty much a death-run for cycles. The Highway isn't much better - it's got very tight lanes and cyclists have got nowhere to hide, and cars don't have room to give them space.

Of course you see cycles on them all the time, and it's *always* the lycra light-jumpers brigade. The point is that there is an expensive, grade-separated, dedicated cycle lane running along the old streets that these two roads replaced - and it's a more direct route (in fact is a more direct route between almost any two randomly-selected points on The Highway itself because of the way it meanders). But no, these wankers have the moral right to use these roads and totes are going to.

Our main drag through town is 5-6 lanes through most of it, and has been under various stages of construction for about 2 years now, so it's 4.5 miles of construction zone. And there's idiots continuing to ride on it, even though bikes are banned from it and there is a dedicated bike path with its own stoplights at all cross streets that parallels it for practically the entire length. I think people are just trying to remove themselves from the gene pool sometimes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here lies Lycra McFitbit - Jogger, Cyclist

"He Maintained His Pace"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

It's when a bunch of cyclists get in a group and ride on public streets.
What a horrible goddamn idea. This is a bad idea even when motorcyclists do it, and at least they can ride at the same speed as cars. It's usually unsafe for everyone involved in it and near it and almost guaranteed to piss off everyone around it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Especially when they keep blowing through red lights like the fuckheads around my area.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What a horrible goddamn idea. This is a bad idea even when motorcyclists do it, and at least they can ride at the same speed as cars. It's usually unsafe for everyone involved in it and near it and almost guaranteed to piss off everyone around it.

That's literally the point. They have all sorts of stated justifications, none of which fit their actual tactic (in London at least) of doing it during Friday afternoon rush hour. Safety at least isn't a concern because they block the entire road for a mile or so (until a taxi driver snaps and rides through the middle of them).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The most annoying thing about cyclists versus motorcyclists is their attitudes towards safety, and what they're entitled to from other drivers. Most motorcyclists I know are either ATGATT marshmellow men or "If I die tomorrow, so be it" guys that understand the inherent dangers of what they choose to do. Cyclists refuse to wear gear or proactively protect themselves as it'd be "victim blaming" to say, hmm, maybe you shouldn't be riding in oncoming traffic around a blind turn.

Another reason to hate cyclists is that, around here at least, people love to give them 5 feet of space around blind turns, pushing people across the DY. When I honk, invariably the cyclist makes some lewd gesture at me - apparently the lycra makes you unable to understand that I'm not talking to you, dickhead.

This isn't even bringing up the cyclist that literally spit at me, repeatedly, after I asked him not to pass me in my loving lane while following a slow vehicle down Lookout Mountain. I've literally never been closer to running a person over intentionally in my life.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 9, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This exemplifies my general feeling with what needs to happen wrt cycles in general, which is better signposting. Rules and regs for a given precinct are public information, but aren't typically published on metal poles in the way that rules for cars are.

CYCLISTS DISMOUNT signs exist, but always look as if they've been put up by some rando with a grudge, especially when they're placed at the entrances of parks which still have cycle pictographs painted on the footpaths. Double especially when said park path is a national cycleway.

I don't want licencing restrictions because that kind of defeats the point, but right now bicycles are hardly regulated at all and that naturally leads people to think they can do what they like. I say this as a guy who has pushed a lot of pedal, knowing you're never ever going to get pulled over for riding like an entitled dong leads to doing more dongish things, even if it's only one red light jumped in ten, or one short stretch of pavement ridden per mile. Yelled at by irate old people maybe, but they're one in a thousand and are often as not in the wrong (looking at you dog walking lady, like gently caress am I riding on a fifty limit narrow road when there's a double width pavement right here :argh:)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Radbot posted:

Another reason to hate cyclists is that, around here at least, people love to give them 5 feet of space around blind turns, pushing people across the DY. When I honk, invariably the cyclist makes some lewd gesture at me - apparently the lycra makes you unable to understand that I'm not talking to you, dickhead.

This isn't even bringing up the cyclist that literally spit at me, repeatedly, after I asked him not to pass me in my loving lane while following a slow vehicle down Lookout Mountain. I've literally never been closer to running a person over intentionally in my life.

I don't know if this is a Colorado thing or a cyclist thing, or a Colorado cyclist thing, but they just looooooove to ride up in the loving canyons. Every loving time I drive up or down Poudre Canyon, these dingdongs are there, just grinding away at 10 mph because it's a 10% grade. It's a loving canyon with no shoulders, a rock wall on one side, and a river on the other, and it's all blind curves. I can't think of a more inappropriate place to ride a bike.

It's not ok to hate all cyclists because of that any more than it's ok to hate all motorcyclists because of squids or cruiser pirates, but it's ok to hate those specific cyclists because they cause brodozers to try to pass on a dy with an oncoming convoy of Winnebagos.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

This exemplifies my general feeling with what needs to happen wrt cycles in general, which is better signposting. Rules and regs for a given precinct are public information, but aren't typically published on metal poles in the way that rules for cars are.

CYCLISTS DISMOUNT signs exist, but always look as if they've been put up by some rando with a grudge, especially when they're placed at the entrances of parks which still have cycle pictographs painted on the footpaths. Double especially when said park path is a national cycleway.

I don't want licencing restrictions because that kind of defeats the point, but right now bicycles are hardly regulated at all and that naturally leads people to think they can do what they like. I say this as a guy who has pushed a lot of pedal, knowing you're never ever going to get pulled over for riding like an entitled dong leads to doing more dongish things, even if it's only one red light jumped in ten, or one short stretch of pavement ridden per mile. Yelled at by irate old people maybe, but they're one in a thousand and are often as not in the wrong (looking at you dog walking lady, like gently caress am I riding on a fifty limit narrow road when there's a double width pavement right here :argh:)

I thought in the US all cyclists were supposed to generally pretend they were a car and follow whatever the traffic laws/signage are for the place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know if this is a Colorado thing or a cyclist thing, or a Colorado cyclist thing, but they just looooooove to ride up in the loving canyons. Every loving time I drive up or down Poudre Canyon, these dingdongs are there, just grinding away at 10 mph because it's a 10% grade. It's a loving canyon with no shoulders, a rock wall on one side, and a river on the other, and it's all blind curves. I can't think of a more inappropriate place to ride a bike.

It's not ok to hate all cyclists because of that any more than it's ok to hate all motorcyclists because of squids or cruiser pirates, but it's ok to hate those specific cyclists because they cause brodozers to try to pass on a dy with an oncoming convoy of Winnebagos.

It's cyclists in general. I live fifteen minutes away from some pretty intimidating rainforested hills with a few absolutely notorious roads (all corners blind, surface terrible, never fully dry out so there's algae everywhere etc) and every time I go for a ride/drive through there, I inevitably have to wait to pass a string of lycra'd dumb cunts pumping away at 10km/h uphill on some of the most dangerous roads in Auckland.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was riding my moped back from the Deli today and there was gridlock traffic because of a school getting out. So instead of lanesplitting which would be easy but is illegal here, or riding it on the sidewalk which was mostly vacant, I rode it up to the sidewalk and then killed the motor and walked it the rest of the way. I'm pretty much the greatest guy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

builds character fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 9, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Expected this. Was not disappointed.

E: back when I commuted on the ferry the road to the boat was closed due to a "suspicious package." I turned off the bike, walked down the sidewalk around the block and to the ticket booth.
The cops laughed and let me through. Car drivers were all :rant:
Really empty boat that day. Got a good nap in.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 10, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The only appropriate way to rock this getup is to filter through heavy traffic, swearing and spitting at every car you clip.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So is this double the hipster or four times the hipster? Is it cumulative or does it multiply?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

builds character posted:

I thought in the US all cyclists were supposed to generally pretend they were a car and follow whatever the traffic laws/signage are for the place.
They are. None of them care. I participated in a big ride in Pittsburgh a few weekends ago and my god it was anarchy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

So is this double the hipster or four times the hipster? Is it cumulative or does it multiply?

I'd say 3x, because it's not a fixie so he only gets the 1.5x multiplier.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Imagining cyclists sharing a road with cars going over 15 mph gives me the heebie jeebies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If only someone found some way of making the bicycles faster so they can keep up with traffic and behave like the road going vehicle they want to be.

Some method of increasing the performance of the bike beyond what's possible with human muscle power alone.

Like some sort of motor or engine or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KARMA! posted:

Imagining cyclists sharing a road with cars going over 15 mph gives me the heebie jeebies.

He should get extra points for hi-viz.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Suggesting that a cyclist take steps to enhance their own safety triggers them, unfortunately

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Suggesting that a cyclist take steps to enhance their own safety triggers them, unfortunately

I've heard people (on this very site) suggesting helmets make cycling less safe. Not for the ordinary idiotic reasons, but for a whole new class of them - that wearing a helmet makes people think biking is unsafe, so less people doing it, so there is less incentive for dedicated cycle infrastructure.

I should never feel schadenfreude for the death of any other human, but there's millions currently being spent on upgrading London's cycle infrastructure because of two rashes of deaths. Admittedly the first load in 2012-13 were due to some truly idiotic decisions in that infrastructure (stuff like marked cycle lanes cutting directly across junctions meaning cyclists were assuming they had right of way and being disabused of it by a truck tyre) but the last dozen or so have all been 100% the cyclists fault. Mind you the cyclist lobby are still trying to use the death of a cyclist who was riding drunk at midnight the wrong way down a one-way street and smashed into the side of a stopped bus as an excuse to ban motorbikes from bus lanes so gently caress 'em.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ants keep infesting my bike on a weekly basis. I've tried moving to a different spot(aren't many choices where I can lock it up), terro ant traps in or around the bike, killing the ants and 409ing the places where they walk, etc. No avail. It's starting to interfere with some of the control's electronic connections. I hope they don't find a way into the carbs.

I feel like taking a flame thrower to the entire area.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Ants keep infesting my bike on a weekly basis. I've tried moving to a different spot(aren't many choices where I can lock it up), terro ant traps in or around the bike, killing the ants and 409ing the places where they walk, etc. No avail. It's starting to interfere with some of the control's electronic connections. I hope they don't find a way into the carbs.

Just dust the area with ant powder, that should do the trick. If it doesn't follow the trail of powder back to the nest and let the kettle do its job.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ant powder?! I didn't even know this was a thing! Thank you so much. I'll hunt that down and do it asap. You own.

Death to the antfidels!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Alternatively, get yourself a silky anteater. Then you have no ant problem, and a super cute pet.

But seriously, though, gently caress ants forever. Horrible, stinky little bastards.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haaay! EBR.com is back up!

But their store only displays the Magento maintenance page.

They use Magento, which means I am likely qualified to lose a job at EBR! Better get applyin'.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Coydog posted:

Termidor is a motherfucker. Spray the hills themselves and around your house/apartment/hovel.

Lynza posted:

But seriously, though, gently caress ants forever. Horrible, stinky little bastards.

Ants smell?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

When you squish them, yeah. And termites taste like carrot.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

clutchpuck posted:

Haaay! EBR.com is back up!

But their store only displays the Magento maintenance page.

They use Magento, which means I am likely qualified to lose a job at EBR! Better get applyin'.

I see their choice in ecommerce software is about as wise as their bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Marxalot posted:

Ants smell?

Formic acid, I believe.