Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Psycho love comedy book three - the main guys sister reunited with him - turnsout she's a yan dere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I enjoyed how Kumo got frustrated with the Dragon's Warrior spirit to her rage against the dying light.

Seriously it was exactly what I needed after realizing I waited weeks for three ish volumes of Slime Tensei were pointless power trips.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Chp 200: Kumoko eats an energy field and becomes a god.:stare:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I sort of want to read that if only to find out why she thought Eating an Energy Field constituted a good idea.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ConanThe3rd posted:

I sort of want to read that if only to find out why she thought Eating an Energy Field constituted a good idea.

Does wonders for the hair.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

It was made out of delicious souls, what else would she do with it?

Also in the latest ISSTH Meng Hao demonstrates the five step exploding balls technique.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
this one

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

from the OP? It sucks rear end. Peace out, folks.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Algid posted:

Chp 200: Kumoko eats an energy field and becomes a god.:stare:

Kumoko-chan's gonna do what Kumoko-chan does. Eat anything and everything. I wouldn't be surprised if she winds up eating all the admins.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Part of me wants Kumoko to turn into a battleship-sized, hovering spider with multiple control centres and aerial bombardments. She's already pretty much got specialized targeting systems, magic systems, etc.

The other parts of me are happy with where we're at.

Algid posted:

Also in the latest ISSTH Meng Hao demonstrates the five step exploding balls technique.

Still loving ISSTH. It doesn't suffer so much from 'making poo poo up the further we get' like Xian Ni.

Also been reading a lot of Douluo Dalu lately, which has more of a coherent overarching story. The MC is the typical special snowflake sure to be(come) more powerful than everyone else, but it doesn't bother me so much in this story, he's got personality outside of being powerful and there's usually a whole team of other decent characters to go along.

The same can't be said for some of the same author's other work, like Shen Yin Wang Zou, which I've been trying to read but after Act 1 only gives me the impression that the author was trying to recreate what he had going with Douluo Dalu but fails. Instead, so far he's only succeeded in coming up with a needlessly complicated power-ranking system and a terribly bland MC who is instantly special with only good traits. I don't mind powerful MC's, but at least make them struggle and throw proportionate threats in their direction. Act 1 has been so uninteresting I'm not sure I want to continue.

I've also tried reading Kuangshen by the same author and that one is equally not succeeding in convincing me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Kuang Shen is weird. It doesn't read anything like his other works and is much more similar to other Xianxia works, with the ruthless protagonist, escalator power creep and oodles of women throwing themselves at the glory that is the main character.

Douluo Dalu is a lot better. While the MC is the equivalent of a DnD 3.5 optimized monstrosity with templates and classes coming out of every orifice, it's fun to read, the characters are great and there's tension.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
SYWZ seems to focus a lot on the ridiculously saccharine romance between the mc and an assassin who is considerably stronger than he is. Also, it is now switching gears from a very long tournament arc to a squad of weirdos going out to hunt demons, which seems promising. But yeah, it has taken entirely too long to get to this point.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
OSO amazed me when the inevitable tournament was just a chapter. The benefits to having the MC just be someone in the audience!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The next volume of OSO should be out soonish according to the TL. Can't wait, it's such a chill read.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Kumoko, no! I understand that humans are delicious piles of experience, and they did kind of burn down your home, but mercilessly slaughtering them is bad!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Here's the soundtrack for the recent Kumoko chapters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcpGIVbPYrI

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Kumoko, no! I understand that humans are delicious piles of experience, and they did kind of burn down your home, but mercilessly slaughtering them is bad!

I felt the same way at first, until I read her POV chapter.

I don't think any of us have the right to judge her until we understand exactly how many experience points she was getting. Because it seemed like a whole lot, and maybe, just maybe, ruthless slaughter is okay if you level up a lot from it?

I can only imagine how many levels she would have jumped from taking down lvl 78 Ronant.

EDIT: \/ Dang it, I keep forgetting the multiple timelines issue.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 7, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
^ Those stats are from decades into the future at the point in time of this fight, i'd assume he was quite a bit lower leveled at that point.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
They decided that whatever owned that nest was too much for them to deal with in combat and might have teleport magic, so they were going to run away, but they decided to burn it down first. Sure she could have done it without any deaths but she doesn't really have any motivation to do that, not when the alternative is tons of experience. If someone is going to burn down your home and all your food stockpiles I'm not going to get too mad if you kill them, especially if you're not torturing them like so many LNs like to do.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

They decided that whatever owned that nest was too much for them to deal with in combat and might have teleport magic, so they were going to run away, but they decided to burn it down first. Sure she could have done it without any deaths but she doesn't really have any motivation to do that, not when the alternative is tons of experience. If someone is going to burn down your home and all your food stockpiles I'm not going to get too mad if you kill them, especially if you're not torturing them like so many LNs like to do.

why would she torture them? isn't that taking extra time to do something that isn't gaining her experience?

Plus, given that she knows the nature of the world thanks to having capped out Taboo, I'm wondering if she just doesn't even see them as being real. I'm interested to see how she reacts when she inevitably meets another person with n%I=W.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Adelheid posted:

why would she torture them? isn't that taking extra time to do something that isn't gaining her experience?

Plus, given that she knows the nature of the world thanks to having capped out Taboo, I'm wondering if she just doesn't even see them as being real. I'm interested to see how she reacts when she inevitably meets another person with n%I=W.
Pretty sure they are real and that isn't what taboo is about.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Adelheid posted:

No, she wouldn't and she has no reason to. A lot of these really lovely WN/LNs have the MC torture the people who've slighted him and it's often the point at which I drop them. The other lovely thing that pops up a lot is the weird obsession with slavery, which shouldn't be a problem for Kumoko.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Algid posted:

Pretty sure they are real and that isn't what taboo is about.

Just going by what Sensei said, that this world was like a game. It doesn't really matter the extent to which that's true, as the humans in the world obviously seem sapient enough, but Kumoko has the same information as Sensei and hasn't really dealt with humans' she still seemed to just think of the invading party as more food, even though they were human. Presuming that she's the demon lord from the side chapters, the future version of her still doesn't really seem to care about the wellbeing of either humans or demons. So, I'm curious what would happen if she encountered someone she used to know.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Feels like I'll need some popcorn for ch150 reactions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They didn't intentionally set her nest on fire. Someone got caught in random threads and due to Kumoko imbuing them with resistances they couldn't get out easily. Once the mage used sufficiently strong fire magic to burn those threads, it spread to the rest of the nest and that is when Kumoko teleported in. She was already in a bad mood from the earth dragon, and then immediately after she found her house burned down the guys who did it appraised her. It wasn't as though she immediately went murder-happy for no reason.

As for the world being like a game, that is because the skill system is completely artificial. Administrators are skill farmers. They sow a few seeds (points) and then the skills grow over time. People are forced to develop their skills due to the threat of those darn demons/humans/monsters/deranged god spiders, but even if they don't there doesn't seem to be a way to take points out of the system. That is, even if someone never gets a single skill the administrators break even at worst. After a person with skills dies, the admins harvest their souls full of skills and repeat the process with each new generation. Kumoko has mentioned how their system is completely broken and how the administrators have hosed up to let it get that bad, but what that means is still unclear. We also don't know what they actually use all that skill/soul/whatever energy for.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

darkgray posted:

Feels like I'll need some popcorn for ch150 reactions.

well, if they continue at the "three chapters a day" rate, we'll be seeing that tomorrow, so...!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Adelheid posted:

Just going by what Sensei said, that this world was like a game. It doesn't really matter the extent to which that's true, as the humans in the world obviously seem sapient enough, but Kumoko has the same information as Sensei and hasn't really dealt with humans' she still seemed to just think of the invading party as more food, even though they were human. Presuming that she's the demon lord from the side chapters, the future version of her still doesn't really seem to care about the wellbeing of either humans or demons. So, I'm curious what would happen if she encountered someone she used to know.
All of that is really just her original personality (in addition to her new experiences and the effects of her rulerships). Back her Earth she was a loner who was alienated from her even her birth parents and avoided communicting with people even in a MMO, she was also practical enough to have been making money via stock trading. She was never going to have a problem with killing people. She isn't a nice guy like Shun made even nicer by his rulership.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Adelheid posted:

well, if they continue at the "three chapters a day" rate, we'll be seeing that tomorrow, so...!

Sry, misremembered, it was ch151. :shobon:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Also, I went back and reread royal capital battle 1. I obviously didn't realise that Ronant was talking about Kumoko the first time, but that poo poo is hilarious.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Got around to reading The Lazy King since someone mentioned it earlier. It was pretty good, short, and to the point. I rather liked it but there is one chapter of R15 stuff that feels a little out of place but isn't terribly creepy. It's a reincarnation story but that doesn't factor heavily into it.

Apparently there's a part 2 but part 1 feels complete enough on its own.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
So I read I Shall Seal The Heavens and the spider story. Those were quite enjoyable reading, though I didn't really like the recent sexual peril plot in ISSTH. Fortunately, it was quite short. But otherwise ISSTH's been quite a blast. Anyone else have stories of similar quality to recommend? I also rather enjoyed OSO.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Desuwa posted:

Got around to reading The Lazy King since someone mentioned it earlier. It was pretty good, short, and to the point. I rather liked it but there is one chapter of R15 stuff that feels a little out of place but isn't terribly creepy. It's a reincarnation story but that doesn't factor heavily into it.

Apparently there's a part 2 but part 1 feels complete enough on its own.

This is really great.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Kaja Rainbow posted:

So I read I Shall Seal The Heavens and the spider story. Those were quite enjoyable reading, though I didn't really like the recent sexual peril plot in ISSTH. Fortunately, it was quite short. But otherwise ISSTH's been quite a blast. Anyone else have stories of similar quality to recommend? I also rather enjoyed OSO.

Ze Tian Ji is awesome. It's a very atypical Chinese cultivation story, even more so than ISSTH. The main character still hasn't successfully cultivated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Did I miss something in Kumoko? She was talking about having eaten her mother shortly after deciding not to enter the bottom level so that her mother would not attack her.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

If humans weren't meant to be killed why do they give so much experience? Checkmate, atheists.

Also betting the thing with her mother was just a mistranslation.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Did I miss something in Kumoko? She was talking about having eaten her mother shortly after deciding not to enter the bottom level so that her mother would not attack her.
She stopped using parallel will for combat a while back (right after taboo lvl10), and D just mentioned in 149 how the way she is using it was unexpected and its basically an out of system attack (direct soul manipulation/ attack).

Now go back and read the beginning of chp135.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Algid posted:

She stopped using parallel will for combat a while back (right after taboo lvl10), and D just mentioned in 149 how the way she is using it was unexpected and its basically an out of system attack (direct soul manipulation/ attack).

Huh, I did bit pick up on that either and it's still not completely clear to me what happened.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Desuwa posted:

Also betting the thing with her mother was just a mistranslation.

Looks like that to me. This is actually a really tricky phrase, since Kumoko speaks extremely casually and parsing some of this is a little beyond me. マザー食ってる影響 could be translated as "the influence from eating Mother" but there's no particle indicating what relation the word "Mother" has to the word "eating". On top of that, my dictionary is telling me that 食う has sixteen different definitions, and further Googling reveals that there's a ton of expressions that use that particular verb in fairly unique ways. If I had to take a wild guess, it's probably 食う as in "to receive" (similar to 食らう, the root form of the verb used when an anime character screams "take this") and thus would be better translated as "my mother's influence".
:goonsay:

In short, gently caress this language, and I hope someone who actually knows what their doing can tell me what the real answer is.

edit:

Algid posted:

Ahh, how did I miss that. The simple explanation ("I'm eating Mother") makes a bunch more sense if we've got some weird Parallel Will thing going on where Kumoko is somehow remotely attacking her mother.

blastron fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 9, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought they were just being coy and Kumoko had already split her extra minds into new bodies.

Edit: Actually, I checked and her parallel will is now level 8. It is probably for the best that she got those voices out of her head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 9, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Desuwa posted:

Huh, I did bit pick up on that either and it's still not completely clear to me what happened.

Well, to spell it out, in Kumoko ch131 we learn that all the parallel minds are off somewhere doing Strange Things that is meeting with resistance for one mind and going well for the others, and then in ch135 Kumoko bumps into the Spider Death Squad, which was sent out by Mother, who has "finally" realized she is being devoured from the inside. Kumoko then contacts whichever mind is in charge of attacking Mother (meaning other minds are attacking targets somewhere else) to get a location report. In ch153 it's further discussed that the (ongoing) process of devouring Mother is having distorting effects on Kumoko's psyche. Ch149 discusses the method somewhat.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

darkgray posted:

Well, to spell it out, in Kumoko ch131 we learn that all the parallel minds are off somewhere doing Strange Things that is meeting with resistance for one mind and going well for the others, and then in ch135 Kumoko bumps into the Spider Death Squad, which was sent out by Mother, who has "finally" realized she is being devoured from the inside. Kumoko then contacts whichever mind is in charge of attacking Mother (meaning other minds are attacking targets somewhere else) to get a location report. In ch153 it's further discussed that the (ongoing) process of devouring Mother is having distorting effects on Kumoko's psyche. Ch149 discusses the method somewhat.

Huh, when I read 131 I didn't pick up on the minds controlling physically separate bodies. I thought they were just deep in thought/mediation and not paying attention to what the body was doing.

Makes more sense this way.

• Locked thread