Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

larchesdanrew posted:

I make 30k a year after taxes and I'm the highest paid hourly wage employee in the station. I make 2x what I made doing IT at my last job. $43k is an amazing number to me right now.

Sounds like the IT industry here only without the low cost of living. You will rock this! Good Luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Put your resume on a Google doc or something so we can all help you rewrite it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

Put your resume on a Google doc or something so we can all help you rewrite it.
A bunch of amateurs?

Nah, take it to that goon with all the banners providing a resume writing service.

:shepface:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm gonna do it guys. I'm actually going to do something that benefits me professionally. Now where'd I leave that resume :yotj:
Do it
Do it
Do it
Do it
Do it
Etc.

Also lol at making $30k doing your job.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Seriously, I thought I was getting paid crap and I mostly read the forums all day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fingers crossed mate, if you get it you have to totally walk very pointedly past your old place of work every day to get to your new one. Bonus points if you can do a dance en-route.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

ilkhan posted:

Do it
Do it
Do it
Do it
Do it
Etc.

I know, I read this and I suddenly feel professional...

I think I'll celebrate by closing a ticket.

For someone requesting we install IE6 onto their windows 8.1 machine.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Fun times! One of our board members forwarded me an email from one of our banks just now. Addressed to them via corporate email address...

Dear client,
Please see your transaction report(s) in the attachment #51587.
Note that your account will be debited within 1 business day for the amount shown on the report(s).
Client service team

Of course an attachment. My routerbox scrubbed it just fine.

I called the local bank it originated and actually talked to the person whos PC was sending that poo poo out. They said they were aware and IT was fixing it.

How lax is a banks IT department that a user can get their PC infected and start blasting poo poo via their contacts?? From a BANK?

At least I have the staff here trained to CALL ME when strange emails get through. YAY!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Slack3r posted:

Fun times! One of our board members forwarded me an email from one of our banks just now. Addressed to them via corporate email address...

Dear client,
Note that your account will be debited within 1 business day for the amount shown on the report(s).
Client service team

I called the local bank it originated and actually talked to the person whos PC was sending that poo poo out. They said they were aware and IT was fixing it.

How lax is a banks IT department that a user can get their PC infected and start blasting poo poo via their contacts?? From a BANK?

At least I have the staff here trained to CALL ME when strange emails get through. YAY!

This stops being a use common sense this didn't come from a bank to right place got infected. Is there any legal trouble a bank could get in if the attachment caused any damages? Seems almost like gross negligence to me.
Who am I kidding like the legal system is equip to handle that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Slack3r posted:

Dear client,
Client service team

You know I use to laugh at poo poo like this and how obviously fake the email and attachment was until a major competitor got hit by a scam email. Similar scenario, spoofed email sent to a VP from a supplier known to them requesting a wire transfer for some parts. It must've looked real enough because they sent a wire for close to a million dollars. Took them about 3 days to realize their mistake and by then it was to late.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

It... Looks like a sys admin job is available near me.

Should I be concerned that they listed that veritable alphabet soup of worthless jargon?

It is paying about $13k more than I'm making...

Pretty much all stuff you need to be semi knowledgeable about anyways to call yourself a Sysadmin.

Bitesize
Sep 25, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Larchesdanrew you should totally try and run a get-aduser -identity blahblah -properties passwordlastset and then shove it in front of your bosses face. You could also take it to your GM as proof that your boss purposefully kept this employee from being productive because he refused to fix his mistake.

Just a tip, if you want to do this in a regular command prompt, "net user /domain dumbuser" will do the trick, and as far as I know, no special access is needed.
I have a bat file in my default folder when i run cmd, so I just type "u xxx" to see the expiration dates etc of user xxx

u.bat, placed in your %userprofile%: net user /domain %1

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

Nah, take it to that goon with all the banners providing a resume writing service.

Oh, does he have a new company now?

It was a good service and got me a job. I know nothing about the current owners.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I make 30k a year after taxes and I'm the highest paid hourly wage employee in the station. I make 2x what I made doing IT at my last job. $43k is an amazing number to me right now.

I know this is a few pages ago, but goddamn. I live in buttfuck NC and I make $40k being a higher level computer janitor. gently caress, I could have had you a jack of all trades Network Analyst job in a school system making $55k minimum and that's underpaid. Hell, I could get you a loving tech job at that school making $30k.

What I"m saying is GET OUT NOW

e:

18 Character Limit posted:

Oh, does he have a new company now?

It was a good service and got me a job. I know nothing about the current owners.

Danny over here did an amazing job on my resume.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

He keeps mentioning 30k after taxes. So : it's a little bit better, more like grossing 35-37k.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

He keeps mentioning 30k after taxes. So : it's a little bit better, more like grossing 35-37k.

I still make $40k being a computer janitor. He gets paid poo poo. If he knew what vlan tagging (idk the old analyst was weird in is "qualifications" for his replacement), he could have had a much better paying job with a similar cost of living. I can't even imagine what the network/wifi/security/admin guys at my job make.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
You all make me feel poor :(

Haquer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

spoofed email sent to a VP from a supplier known to them requesting a wire transfer for some parts. It must've looked real enough because they sent a wire for close to a million dollars. Took them about 3 days to realize their mistake and by then it was to late.

Yeah the shotgun blast style attempts are pretty clumsy, but this guy was clearly targeted. When you've got such a narrow focus the game changes from "make this obtuse as possible to weed out the smart people" to "we've only got one shot here so let's make it count."

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You know I use to laugh at poo poo like this and how obviously fake the email and attachment was until a major competitor got hit by a scam email. Similar scenario, spoofed email sent to a VP from a supplier known to them requesting a wire transfer for some parts. It must've looked real enough because they sent a wire for close to a million dollars. Took them about 3 days to realize their mistake and by then it was to late.

Jesus, he lose his job?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

This stops being a use common sense this didn't come from a bank to right place got infected. Is there any legal trouble a bank could get in if the attachment caused any damages? Seems almost like gross negligence to me.
Who am I kidding like the legal system is equip to handle that.

If it shows up on any kind of audit or insurance claim, yes. Lots of trouble. Downgrades on IT rating or more severe FDIC/whatever authority they report to exams or more frequent scheduled inspections with increased risk of getting a camels downgrade or anything like that is baaaad news for smaller banks. By smaller I mean like assets under 2 billion-ish.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 9, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Like riding a bike! Rigged up a php script in notepad to allow s3 bucket uploads via html form submission yesterday and had to wait for the webmaster to get in today to test it. Worked on the first try. I feel competent for once :unsmith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Same thing happened to a client of ours. They asked us what we could do about it, but there's only so much you can do technically to combat spear phishing.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in,

Cryptowall 3 is running on this clients RDS server. On further investigation its been running on there for over a week. A quick look at server files shows that only 10% or so have been encrypted. Processor and Memory on the server are constantly pinned so im guessing horrible hardware actually saved them this time.

edit: apparently I cant English.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 9, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Nards Pan posted:

Jesus, he lose his job?

He did actually. I didn't personally know the guy but he had been with the company for a while and still got canned. Sadly the mistake was costly enough that they ended up laying off quite a few people as well. On top of the added expense of them having to bring in auditors after the fact to go over their policies and procedures and their IT systems. It probably ended up costing them at least two million dollars by the time it was all said and done. There was a lot of talk at my current company about how this could potentially happen to us, would it have happened to us had we been targeted, etc.

It was enough of a fear to our board that they shelled out for some in depth pen testing by outside auditors which was an interesting experience to work through. I was surprised that not only do printers normally suck, they also suck when going through security audits. Lots of them had snmp v1 or 2 installed and had lots of other security holes that ended with us either updating firmware for or turning features off. Thankfully our company had a system of checks and approvals that goes through a few people before any wires get sent out so I think we are a bit safer in that regard. Still as part of our audit we are going to be on the end of a spear phishing scheme at some point before the end of the year. Will be interested to see if we pass or fail. A lot of this just comes down to user training.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

Go larchesdanrew! :woop:

Go Go Go!

J
Jun 10, 2001

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in,

Cryptowall 3 is running on this clients RDS server. On further investigation its been running on there for over a week. A quick look at server files shows that only 10% or so have been encrypted. Processor and Memory on the server are constantly pinned so im guessing horrible hardware actually saved them this time.

Security through antiquity? :mmmhmm:

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in,

Had the same issue back in 2014. User had an OLD Athlon 1.something system with XP. After a few days it was still chugging along in My Documents. Never even got to photos.. Moved what I could to their newer P4 PC.

yay?

Took the system out to a buddies farm and used it for 7.62x54r target practice.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

OwlFancier posted:

Fingers crossed mate, if you get it you have to totally walk very pointedly past your old place of work every day to get to your new one. Bonus points if you can do a dance en-route.

I'd pay good money to see larches walk by his old office daily with both middle fingers high & the most smug "I loving told you so" look on his face. Bonus if he can take pictures of the faces of all the incompetent managers when he walks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

I'd pay good money to see larches walk by his old office daily with both middle fingers high & the most smug "I loving told you so" look on his face. Bonus if he can take pictures of the faces of all the incompetent managers when he walks.

I'm thinking basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdcKGWmZMs

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I'm sorry, am I the only one that's going to think that $30k, even in a lower income area, is ... kinda low given the responsibilities and his skill set!?

I feel I know less than him in the broad spectrum (granted I am very specialized in server hardware) and I earn quite a bit more than that...

(Not bragging I just think that this just might be a lateral move of sorts when he could be going more upward.)

2nd Edit: Then again moving out of that toxic environment might give a better foot hold to leap out.

Malek fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 9, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Guys...

I sent them my resume :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

larchesdanrew posted:

Guys...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Guys...

I sent them walked over with my resume :ohdear:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I would have, but they're going through some hiring service, so it had to go to them. Doesn't even say what the business is in the posting.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

poo poo, with titles like Chief and Engineer i thought it would be bottom $75k

Talkin bout getting your own Dept, that's at least $100k

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ilkhan posted:

I was making this doing literal computer janitor work in the government sector as a T1, at 20, with no degree or prior work experience. I’m screaming “BAIL BAIL BAIL” into the void, and also learning to never trust any IT person that says “at least the pay is decent” without naming a figure.

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015

Slack3r posted:

Had the same issue back in 2014. User had an OLD Athlon 1.something system with XP. After a few days it was still chugging along in My Documents. Never even got to photos.. Moved what I could to their newer P4 PC.

yay?

Took the system out to a buddies farm and used it for 7.62x54r target practice.

I get to put some 54r and hopefully some 39 through my parents old Atholn XP server I built them when I was in highschool. When FreeNAS was meant to run on older hardware and not magical server grade hardware.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Guys...

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I started my first CJ job in the private sector in 2005, at $25k a year. Worked there 7 years, making $31k when I quit. Now I work for the public sector, started at $39k , and 2 years later make $41k.

I don't make poo poo, but living's cheap in the Rust Belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

ilkhan posted:

Echoing the sentiment about your pay. I almost make that much, and I've been in IT for less than six months. Then again, I live in San Francisco, so :rip:

• Locked thread