Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

yaay posted:

ah. Well, looking at it they could throw historicity away and give it dive bombers or something to compensate the inadequate firepower.

Floatplane dive bombers were a (horrible-sounding) thing that were assigned to the Ise after her conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Velius posted:

"Rotating" 4 ships seems excessive for normal play. I find that I can usually swap between two ships, and ideally only one (because I'm not dying). Are you trying to be hyperaggressive and suiciding? That doesn't seem like the ideal way to play, what with travel time generally being the limiting gameplay factor.
Well I tested and doing as much damage as possible getting 500-700 xp on a loss in 5-7 minutes was faster than rotating 2 ships getting 1k-1.5k xp on a loss in 15-20 minutes. Of course poo poo's tedious though.

I do play 'seriously' on daily 1.5X though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
They could use the Aichi M6A submarine launched dive/torpedo float plane.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

jadebullet posted:

They could use the Aichi M6A submarine launched dive/torpedo float plane.

The Ise was intended to use the Aichi E16A. I'm not sure if they ever made a dive bomb attack though.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

jassi007 posted:

So either I'm really good at this game (unlikely) or everyone at low tiers are poo poo. I have lost 2 matches, drew one, and won like 50. My k/d is over 4. I am only using the t3 St. Louis. About the only thing that ever kills me are torpedoes. Battleships are funny, I generally just steam toward them, wait till they shoot, turn a bit to get more guns on them, fire, turn back etc. I set them on fire a lot.

Ya, I'm going to guess you are playing co-op mode against dumb computers and not pvp mode. You have to change to pvp mode, as co-op is the default when you click the battle button.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dustoph posted:

Ya, I'm going to guess you are playing co-op mode against dumb computers and not pvp mode. You have to change to pvp mode, as co-op is the default when you click the battle button.

That's what it sounds like to me, too.

I remember the halcyon days before I figured out I need to change battle modes and thought I was a golden god.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Really, the only premium I want is the USS Hull - a Forrest Sherman class DD with an autoloading 8" turret

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

wdarkk posted:

Floatplane dive bombers were a (horrible-sounding) thing that were assigned to the Ise after her conversion.

well there you go, seems reasonable enough to add, more damage and you get to mirco a thing while you shoot guns

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dustoph posted:

My mind is blown. Why is Co-op vs. AI the default?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

jassi007 posted:

you tripped over the first hurdle sorry

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

jassi007 posted:

So true noobs can learn the basics of the game safely without getting berated by angry veteran players.

It's me. I'm the angry and bitter player that berates terrible players that waste my time when I'm just trying to knock out the daily win.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

jassi007 posted:

Dont worry I'm sure a lot of us were in your position when we started. I know I was.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ok I have a dumb question. Ive noticed several ships (IJN and USN) have these things, they look almost like a torpedo or bomb and are out on the deck. But I know it must be something else. For example, the Furutaka has a pair of these things right behind the third turret. Or behind the second turret on the Aoba, or bolted so the front of the bridge/superstructure on the Myoko.

Btw the Furutaka isnt actually that bad, other than the fact that its longer than the trans-siberian railway. I waited until the patch to buy it and its treated me pretty well even if it is a bit fragile. Aoba almost unlocked. I also like that the Furry unlocks the improved torpedoes for the Mutsuki, which probably makes that grind somewhat less terrible, is that the only upgrade that is shared between two lines? I know it happens more often in tanks, but thats the first ive seen it in this game.

And yeah if you think spotting/camo is bad in this game, I feel like it was way worse in tanks when I was playing. If a tank destroyer with a huge cannon had like three bushes between you and was far enough away from you or your buddies he could fire away with impunity.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

Ok I have a dumb question. Ive noticed several ships (IJN and USN) have these things, they look almost like a torpedo or bomb and are out on the deck.

Probably a paravane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paravane_(weapon)

It was used for clearing naval mines.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, it seems to be more that they loved adding as many guns as they possibly could to their cruisers. Generally all the cruisers that have that configuration only have that reverse turret for their fifth one, and I imagine putting that fifth turret high enough to superfire over the other two would dangerously overbalance ships that were already overbalanced. Tone specifically seems to be more that they just couldn't bear to not have at least four turrets, even with half the ship taken up with fleet support systems, and just stuck them where they could.

For comparison, the only US cruiser you see with triple turrets all able to fire over each other is Atlanta, which is only carrying 5" guns. All the others are carrying four or less, and thus the problem is irrelevant.

As for Izumo, I'm blaming Wargaming.

edit: I'm guessing there's some technical reason why they're not mounted so as to rotate through the forward arc, rather than the aft one, but I'm hardly an expert on ship design so that's pure speculation.

The US actually tried to see if they could fit three turrets facing forward all superfiring on a battleship. To do this, they had to have a step down a deck from the bow, which would make a really fun stress concentration point and make the ship really wet forward.

The turrets are offset so they'd have very little blind spot in the aft, and it was promptly discarded because it was bad. Basically the topmost turret would add way too much topweight if the bottommost weren't somehow sunk into the hull.

The reason for not having all guns point forward is usually so you can cluster the magazines together and not have to spread protection too much. Not sure what's up with Tone's number three, I can think of a few reasons it probably should point forward.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
drat New Mexico is pretty fun. It's slow and not that accurate (well BBs aren't accurate) but I feel like I can kill anything :v:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I normally hate sniping in all of its forms to the point that I put secondary battery range upgrades on my BB's over Primary Battery range but I nuked my first Skycancer from orbit in my North Carolina and I felt like I hit someone with the wrath of god.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

has anyone had success with barrage fire? it seems to lock down the fighter if it's attacked mid-barrage being unable to fight back even after it's complete. kinda kills the tactic of thinning out enemy fighters before engaging.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Getting dragged to 4v4 in New Orleans and seeing... Midway! with 7 planes per squad! :smithicide:

My team had Iowa, Colorado and Lexington, enemy had Midway, North Carolina, Atago and Pensacola. Even with me and Iowa trying to form AA (Colorado was stock apparently) we died. AA module and skills didn't help at all.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

Getting dragged to 4v4 in New Orleans and seeing... Midway! with 7 planes per squad! :smithicide:

My team had Iowa, Colorado and Lexington, enemy had Midway, North Carolina, Atago and Pensacola. Even with me and Iowa trying to form AA (Colorado was stock apparently) we died. AA module and skills didn't help at all.

I would rather wait longer in the queue than be put into such a bullshit game. Of course, I don't have a problem with queues in this game in general because I've played the poo poo out of War Thunder and there have been times (usually when in a jet) when 5 minutes would have seemed like a short wait. :v:

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Aesis posted:

Asia server?

Yeah

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

Btw the Furutaka isnt actually that bad, other than the fact that its longer than the trans-siberian railway. I waited until the patch to buy it and its treated me pretty well even if it is a bit fragile. Aoba almost unlocked. I also like that the Furry unlocks the improved torpedoes for the Mutsuki, which probably makes that grind somewhat less terrible, is that the only upgrade that is shared between two lines? I know it happens more often in tanks, but thats the first ive seen it in this game.

The Furutaka isn't that bad now. Before the patch, it was so unfun just thinking its name could stop me from opening the program. Very little armor, engine and steering that go out if they get sneezed at, guns that traversed at the same speed as a Wyoming, and without those nice 10km torps.

Now it's a legit good boat that I hate meeting in BBs because I know I'm in for a world of hurt.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

I would rather wait longer in the queue than be put into such a bullshit game. Of course, I don't have a problem with queues in this game in general because I've played the poo poo out of War Thunder and there have been times (usually when in a jet) when 5 minutes would have seemed like a short wait. :v:
Personally I wouldn't mind getting matched against ships 2 tier above as long as xp reward isn't poo poo. I need to spend double~quadruple amount of time compared to WoT getting same amount of xp, and shots depend way too much on RNG to even hit due to wide dispersion, and even then there's yet another RNG to get citadel hit. I pumped 49 shells on enemy Cleveland at 4 km range the other day and got 0 citadel hit even though I was penetrating the engine room. :cripes:

e: And given that I don't have time to play this game all day to get Tier 8 (grinding for North Carolina now) it's just tedious routine of getting daily 1.5X and quitting immediately because by the time I cycled 4~5 ships it's already been 2~3 hours.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 9, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

Personally I wouldn't mind getting matched against ships 2 tier above as long as xp reward isn't poo poo. I need to spend double~quadruple amount of time compared to WoT getting same amount of xp, and shots depend way too much on RNG to even hit due to wide dispersion, and even then there's yet another RNG to get citadel hit. I pumped 49 shells on enemy Cleveland at 4 km range the other day and got 0 citadel hit even though I was penetrating the engine room. :cripes:

e: And given that I don't have time to play this game all day to get Tier 8 (grinding for North Carolina now) it's just tedious routine of getting daily 1.5X and quitting immediately because by the time I cycled 4~5 ships it's already been 2~3 hours.

Yeah but a 4v4 with carriers is bullshit. A midway has an easy enough time with a full team, against 4 ships it's just silly.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

Yeah but a 4v4 with carriers is bullshit. A midway has an easy enough time with a full team, against 4 ships it's just silly.
Oh yeah that's bull poo poo. gently caress getting matched against 1 CV in the whole map.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Aesis posted:

Well I tested and doing as much damage as possible getting 500-700 xp on a loss in 5-7 minutes was faster than rotating 2 ships getting 1k-1.5k xp on a loss in 15-20 minutes. Of course poo poo's tedious though.

I do play 'seriously' on daily 1.5X though.

After about 15 losses in 20 games, I decided to try some co-op with my Mahan. The result, ultra quick matches, all wins, no deaths, save for the teammate who killed me because I was capping the point. (Apparently he and the other 7 dudes wanted to try and find some cruiser on the other side of the map).

I killed no less than 4 ships a game and averaged 1,000 exp. I made many stupid bots go boom, I faced no frustration. Why not simply grind out the guarantee. Sure I could get 2-3k in a normal room, but it's going to take at least twice as long and may give me nothing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Tried out my Wyoming after a long hiatus and found myself so terribly slow and outraged that I was killed by a single battleship before I could get a second salvo off, even though he was broadside and I was zig-sagging into range. I didn't recall being this terribly outraged.

Then I checked the patch notes. They nerfed the hell of of the Wyoming didn't they?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

New patch http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/cbt/patch-alert-0411/

quote:

Fixed an error which caused damage to not be registered properly, after the superstructure and stern of USS Iowa have been destroyed.

Never got to experience the fun of the old Iowa (gently caress the Colorado), but at least fighting them at medium range in a CA isn't going to be an exercise in frustration anymore.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vorkosigan posted:

New patch http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/cbt/patch-alert-0411/

Never got to experience the fun of the old Iowa (gently caress the Colorado), but at least fighting them at medium range in a CA isn't going to be an exercise in frustration anymore.

quote:

Fixed an error that lead to spotting aircraft being able to attack squadrons (We made the pilot aware of such inappropriate behaviour and he promised to never ever do it again).
Only other large fix there. Goodbye, invincible Iowa. You had your time in the sun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

quote:

Fixed an error that lead to fire continuing after the fire indicator timer ran out.
Oh hey Duros they fixed that thing that killed you the other day.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Disco posted:

Hopefully this will basically stop soon. If I recall the patch notes correctly, this only happens if a CV(in this case the Midway) was exceeding the maximum queue time(5 minutes) by some amount and matchmaker still hasn't found an equivalent. More people are slowly getting up to Tier X, so the chances of it happening should already be low, and will continue to drop.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
Wonder when they are going to shell out the marbleheads for that ridiculous contest already. im impatient

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

inkwell posted:

Wonder when they are going to shell out the marbleheads for that ridiculous contest already. im impatient

The community manager running the contest posted an update saying she's only gotten through 520 of the entries so far and has hundreds to go. They expected like 200-500 people and got like 3000 and are bringing in more staff to look through entries.

They won't give anyone the ship until they're ready to give everyone the ship. It sucks. I want my boat.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
Ah, yeah that makes sense. I was thinking to myself they must have a team to check the results, because with 13 letters (and on average a screenshot for each one), it would take one person ages.

sloppy math says proboably around 45,000 screenshots that have to be looked at. yikes.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm really stoked to try the Izumo, but I'm also weirdo who loved playing the Ausf B way back when.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El Scotch posted:

I'm really stoked to try the Izumo, but I'm also weirdo who loved playing the Ausf B way back when.

I enjoyed the pre-buff Furutaka and think fondly of my Myogi.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Too bad about the Iowa nerf. I actually felt like a proper Battleship while I was playing it, instead of feeling like a ship made out of oily rags.

wdarkk posted:

Oh hey Duros they fixed that thing that killed you the other day.

Thank god, that was really annoying and it wasnt the first time it had happened to me.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I have 5K XP left to go on my Myogi, but I'm so done with this ship. I'm trying to save my free XP to skip the Colorado, but it looks like I'm about to spend some to get to the Kongo.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Devorum posted:

I have 5K XP left to go on my Myogi, but I'm so done with this ship. I'm trying to save my free XP to skip the Colorado, but it looks like I'm about to spend some to get to the Kongo.
Dont. Myogi is poo poo but its not complete poo poo. Compared to Wyoming it actually half-good. 5k free exp is not worth it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Well, one good thing about the Colorado is that it has better AAA than the New Mexico.

Only took one air-launched torpedo in the whole match. :smugdog: