Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I uploaded a new build to itunes connect and I can't see any of my builds.

The apple system status page says everything is ok with itunes connect.

Is this just normal Itunes Connect fuckery?

Maybe check back in the morning?

edit:n/m i'ts fuckery

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Gotta wait a couple minutes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Could be. I usually see my uploaded build on the prerelease page within seconds with the status "uploaded", but getting an odd delay would not surprise me.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

epalm posted:

Congrats! How long between approval and app store availability?

Thanks! It took a little over 24 hours to show up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ugh. I cannot figure out how to get the signing to work right.

We wrote a phonegap app, and this is one of my first times on a Mac and XCode. I've found my way around and built the app. I bring it into GapDebug and it says that it needs developer signed. I thought I did that already!

In the XCode preferences under accounts I see my account with provisiong profiles. I select those profiles in the Build Settings page for the project. Still doesn't work right.

I'm reading everything I can about this, still not sure what I'm missing. I'm going back through this thread to see if there is something in there to help but if anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KoRMaK posted:

but if anyone has a suggestion

When you write a phonegap app you deserve all the trouble you get

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

UIApplication posted:

When you write a phonegap app you deserve all the trouble you get

It worked fine with the android build :smith:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KoRMaK posted:

It worked fine with the android build :smith:

This in a nutshell is why phonegap is bad

Are you signed into multiple appleids in Xcode preferences? Xcode 6 is kinda wonky when it's deciding which set of certificates to use when signing a build.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Anyone else running Google Ads get asked to disable ATS in their whole app?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

UIApplication posted:

Are you signed into multiple appleids in Xcode preferences? Xcode 6 is kinda wonky when it's deciding which set of certificates to use when signing a build.
I figured it out, I can't use gap debug, but I instead used the safari debugger (looks like the same thing).

The code signing was an issue I figured out by trying a couple things but I'm not sure which one exactly did it. I was able to validate the package though! And the app is in itunesconnect! The one step I had to do was create an App ID, I think that probably cleared up most the issues.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How the gently caress do I animate a UIView's frame with the UIView.animateKeyFrames? A frame isn't directly animatable, but I can animate a layer's bounds, anchor and position? Does anyone have a solid reference to how the anchor and position correlate to a CGRect?

I feel like I've done this before and now I'm angry at myself :saddowns:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Doh004 posted:

How the gently caress do I animate a UIView's frame with the UIView.animateKeyFrames? A frame isn't directly animatable, but I can animate a layer's bounds, anchor and position? Does anyone have a solid reference to how the anchor and position correlate to a CGRect?

I feel like I've done this before and now I'm angry at myself :saddowns:
It doesn't account for transform, and I don't advocate adopting ASDK, but once upon a time I wrote transformation code for ASDK, which might help as a reference:
https://github.com/facebook/AsyncDisplayKit/blob/master/AsyncDisplayKit/ASDisplayNode.mm#L627-L647

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It doesn't account for transform, and I don't advocate adopting ASDK, but once upon a time I wrote transformation code for ASDK, which might help as a reference:
https://github.com/facebook/AsyncDisplayKit/blob/master/AsyncDisplayKit/ASDisplayNode.mm#L627-L647

Awesome, thank you! :respek:

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
A lovely surprise today one of our apps was sold as a white label solution to another company, we will be handling distribution and modifying the code. Now, after the fact they are asking Devs for things we consider going forward (like distribution etc) what are somethings I should point out?

I've already got things like:
Maintenance
Updates
New Features
Configuration
Managing the other companies Appstore account. etc

Oh and by the way you have 2 months to repackage the app for them (they don't even have a backend!)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

UIApplication posted:

I think that it was because I didn't create a App ID in itunes connect.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I got an unfortunate email from an applebot:

quote:

Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to include API used to register with the Apple Push Notification service, but the app signature's entitlements do not include the "aps-environment" entitlement. If your app uses the Apple Push Notification service, make sure your App ID is enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Portal, and resubmit after signing your app with a Distribution provisioning profile that includes the "aps-environment" entitlement. See "Provisioning and Development" in the Local and Push Notification Programming Guide for more information. If your app does not use the Apple Push Notification service, no action is required. You may remove the API from future submissions to stop this warning. If you use a third-party framework, you may need to contact the developer for information on removing the API.

I don't even know how to use their push notification thing. I'll probably be fine ,right? :pray:

Anyone else gotten this before?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

TheReverend posted:

I don't even know how to use their push notification thing. I'll probably be fine ,right? :pray:

Yes, I got it!

If you look closely it says that if you don't give a poo poo about the error then you can ignore it. Which is what I'm doing!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah that's what I planned on doing too I just wanted to make sure I really could ignore it.

So yeah...gently caress it!

Thanks!

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

TheReverend posted:

Check your provisioning profiles. I submitted an app without issue, then changed its bundle id and submitted it as a new app (for another college) and got that error. I went to Register iOS App ID, added the new bundle id and downloaded/installed a new provisioning profile and when I resubmitted I got no error.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheReverend posted:

The only thing that'd go wrong here is that push notes won't work, so if you're not using them on purpose you're good

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
What system is currently suggested for private beta testing when it is absolutely imperative that we support anything as old as iOS 6.1? The system we're currently using is quite manual in its operation.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Crashlytics Beta plus a build script? (It's a bit finicky to set up if you don't want to have to install the lovely Crashlytics app everywhere, but then you're golden.)

Also any instance of "Crashlytics" above may now be "Fabric", I haven't been keeping up with the pointless branding changes.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Also any instance of "Crashlytics" above may now be "Fabric", I haven't been keeping up with the pointless branding changes.

This is, what, the 20th tech product called "fabric"?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fabric works ok for me

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kode54 posted:

What system is currently suggested for private beta testing when it is absolutely imperative that we support anything as old as iOS 6.1? The system we're currently using is quite manual in its operation.

HockeyApp (I think works for iOS 6? I don't see why it wouldn't)

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

kode54 posted:

If there's one thing you can absolutely get away with on Apple platforms, it's dropping older devices. We only support one major release back, and actually decided to drop iOS 7 slightly early to let us start using frameworks. It helps that Apple hasn't been dropping older devices with OS releases.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
The problem with dropping older devices is that the lead developer personally owns several of them, and wants his app to work on them. Which it does. In fact, it works almost flawlessly.

The only development issue he's experienced supporting as old as 6.1 was the one time he ran into a missing SDK function on link, that I helped him to discover was due to one or two of the static libraries in the workspace being built with iOS 8.x as the minimum target instead of the correct 6.1.

He has also written an Android port, which is mostly functional, but misses half of the decoders I added to the iOS version.

And he is also working on a Windows Phone 8.1 port, which has been terrible fun. One of the tricks he had to pull, that may get him restricted from the Windows Store, is that he couldn't figure out a way to keep his background audio process alive during screen locks and such, and resorted to instantiating the MediaPlayer framework and making it play a looping silent sample while his player is doing its own playing. At least Android and iOS provided means for a process to run in the background while playing audio. I'll see if I can post something to a WP topic about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does Apple pay developers to have their apps ready for new poo poo like tvOS or whatever the latest iDevice is, like the people who demo their apps at Apple events? Or is it more like "you're lucky we're giving you access to this" and it's just part of the biz to have your poo poo up and running on the latest and greatest?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Exposure and early access are worth a lot of money. One of the reasons WWDC used to be very important (early access)

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you get early access w/ hands-on help and potentially a decent amount of screen time in the event. You also get the experience of being trapped in a box in Cupertino for a few days not allowed to touch your company's repos.

If you're talking about devs in general, they're mostly just hoping to get the "Apps That Do <New Thing>" app store features/tech article boost.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We released (some of) the tools we use to manage multiple iOS simulators and run automated tests in parallel, which may be of interest to some of the folks in this thread: https://github.com/facebook/FBSimulatorControl

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Subjunctive posted:

We released (some of) the tools we use to manage multiple iOS simulators and run automated tests in parallel, which may be of interest to some of the folks in this thread: https://github.com/facebook/FBSimulatorControl

Ew, reverse-engineering internals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

Well, they exhausted all the helpful approaches provided by Apple. Caveat emptor, but as with xctool it works for us in large-scale production. We've been asked for it so many times since we first mentioned that we had a tool for it.

Apple doesn't seem to care at all about programmatic control of their developer tools (I miss you, Shark API), which I find surprising. Running automated tests in parallel is hardly an esoteric thing, and they'd no doubt benefit from it internally.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

#opensourceXcode

I mean, it'll probably never happen, but one can dream.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

Subjunctive posted:

Well, they exhausted all the helpful approaches provided by Apple. Caveat emptor, but as with xctool it works for us in large-scale production. We've been asked for it so many times since we first mentioned that we had a tool for it.

Apple doesn't seem to care at all about programmatic control of their developer tools (I miss you, Shark API), which I find surprising. Running automated tests in parallel is hardly an esoteric thing, and they'd no doubt benefit from it internally.

So much this and apple release/test tooling in general. I think this explains a lot about how release tooling and code quality for the apple ecosystem is so far behind most every other platform and how iOS developers have a bad reputation with respect to a testing culture (slowly changing).

I always say at work that Apple can't possibly dogfood this stuff it just doesn't scale past toy apps, and is/was to unstable. If you deviate from their ecosystem you have to be willing to devote time to fixing everything between releases or waiting for someone else to fix it between releases (see xctool between Xcode 5 and 6) meanwhile your CI/CD systems are down when you need them most between releases.

I won't even talk about things that happened at WWDC when I showed some of these issues to their Dev Tools team in person. The response was basically: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the quote paraphrased: "I know that sucks, and that situation sucks, but I think it's fixed in the next release try the alpha"

I guess they are slowly trying to make it better and make it easy but at one release a year at a time...?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Subjunctive posted:

Apple doesn't seem to care at all about programmatic control of their developer tools (I miss you, Shark API), which I find surprising.

What makes you think so? Just keep in mind, as you answer, that there are always lots of things to do that need to be prioritized…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Kallikrates posted:

So much this and apple release/test tooling in general. I think this explains a lot about how release tooling and code quality for the apple ecosystem is so far behind most every other platform and how iOS developers have a bad reputation with respect to a testing culture (slowly changing).

I always say at work that Apple can't possibly dogfood this stuff it just doesn't scale past toy apps, and is/was to unstable. If you deviate from their ecosystem you have to be willing to devote time to fixing everything between releases or waiting for someone else to fix it between releases (see xctool between Xcode 5 and 6) meanwhile your CI/CD systems are down when you need them most between releases.

I won't even talk about things that happened at WWDC when I showed some of these issues to their Dev Tools team in person. The response was basically: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the quote paraphrased: "I know that sucks, and that situation sucks, but I think it's fixed in the next release try the alpha"

I guess they are slowly trying to make it better and make it easy but at one release a year at a time...?

There are a lot more releases than one a year. Xcode 6.0 was beta at WWDC 2014, and the most recent GM release is Xcode 6.4 which came out at WWDC alongside the first Xcode 7 beta. There's an Xcode 7 GM Seed available, and an Xcode 7.1 beta with iOS 9.1 and tvOS support too.

Also, Apple dogfoods the tools plenty, including Xcode, and on large projects too. Many difficulties tend to come from an impedance mismatch between how some developers might want to work, and how the tools are designed to work. For example, there are lots of people who try to build frameworks or libraries for multiple platforms—like iOS and iOS Simulator—in a single binary. The tools and platform simply aren't designed for that, and anything that tries to fight the tools on that will be fragile.

(As an aside, they break even more spectacularly when we do things like add new platforms that use the same CPU architectures, like say iOS and tvOS. Maybe there's a reason I've been trying for a while to warn people away from building multi-platform framework binaries…)

Similarly, when third-party tools like xctool rely on reverse-engineering to accomplish their goals, it shouldn't surprise you when they break between even individual fix releases. Plug-ins built via reverse-engineering are in the same boat; neither of these are likely to be considered when working on changes. (And scripts that purport to "update" plug-ins for new Xcode versions by tweaking their Info.plist are pure evil, never ever use them.)

What kinds of issues did you bring to the Xcode lab this year? Keeping in mind that nobody there can help with reverse-engineering, and nobody can say even the vaguest thing that could be construed as to involve future plans or promises.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

There are a lot more releases than one a year. Xcode 6.0 was beta at WWDC 2014, and the most recent GM release is Xcode 6.4 which came out at WWDC alongside the first Xcode 7 beta. There's an Xcode 7 GM Seed available, and an Xcode 7.1 beta with iOS 9.1 and tvOS support too.

Also, Apple dogfoods the tools plenty, including Xcode, and on large projects too. Many difficulties tend to come from an impedance mismatch between how some developers might want to work, and how the tools are designed to work. For example, there are lots of people who try to build frameworks or libraries for multiple platforms—like iOS and iOS Simulator—in a single binary. The tools and platform simply aren't designed for that, and anything that tries to fight the tools on that will be fragile.

(As an aside, they break even more spectacularly when we do things like add new platforms that use the same CPU architectures, like say iOS and tvOS. Maybe there's a reason I've been trying for a while to warn people away from building multi-platform framework binaries…)

Similarly, when third-party tools like xctool rely on reverse-engineering to accomplish their goals, it shouldn't surprise you when they break between even individual fix releases. Plug-ins built via reverse-engineering are in the same boat; neither of these are likely to be considered when working on changes. (And scripts that purport to "update" plug-ins for new Xcode versions by tweaking their Info.plist are pure evil, never ever use them.)

What kinds of issues did you bring to the Xcode lab this year? Keeping in mind that nobody there can help with reverse-engineering, and nobody can say even the vaguest thing that could be construed as to involve future plans or promises.
(emphasis mine)

...Thus, to quote Kallikrates, explaining a lot about how release tooling and code quality for the apple ecosystem is so far behind most every other platform and how iOS developers have a bad reputation with respect to a testing culture.

Apple makes a decent IDE but it just can't do everything. Okay, so IntelliJ is closed source, as is Visual Studio, and are proof that a closed-source IDE can thrive. Apple will never open-source Xcode (:(), because it develops impressive new development tools tightly integrated with the target hardware and software SDK behind closed doors, and releases it in bursts.

However, Xcode doesn't provide a public SDK, so useful plugins that are both necessary for some and not necessarily suitable for inclusion in the base IDE are either not available or require significant reverse engineering. Developers need this so much they created Alcatraz and an entire ecosystem dedicated to providing what Xcode can't. Arguably, CocoaPods exists for the same reason - Apple dragged their feet on offering decent support for libraries for many years after the need to pull in external dependencies was obvious, and it still is only just kind of okay.

In the absence of a useful Xcode plugin API, which for some reason Apple is unwilling or unable to accommodate, reverse-engineering is the only way outside of Apple to move development against Apple platforms forward down avenues that Apple does not yet understand or find useful enough to pursue. Fixing breakage is easier than asking, waiting, hearing nothing, and possibly never receiving.

tl;dr Apple's dogfood coverage simply cannot and does not reach 100%, and has some major blind spots.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I can understand Apple not wanting to get locked into a public plug-in API.

And a developer making a choice to delve into dependency hell is, IMHO, that developer's problem. It's not Apple's job (or any IDE's job, really) to manage your 3rd party dependencies for you.

edit: that includes reverse-engineered plug-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Doc Block posted:

I can understand Apple not wanting to get locked into a public plug-in API.
I can understand it too, but even a stability guarantee of major version minus 1 or even just major version would do wonders.

Doc Block posted:

And a developer making a choice to delve into dependency hell is, IMHO, that developer's problem. It's not Apple's job (or any IDE's job, really) to manage your 3rd party dependencies for you.

edit: that includes reverse-engineered plug-ins.
It's not Apple's job to stand between developers and the ability to improve their own development experience, either, which they do, because it's easier to develop a decent product (don't get me wrong, I like many things about Xcode) than create an effective development platform. Xcode is definitely the former, but in some ways not the latter.

/grump