Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Josh Lyman posted:

I completely forgot this song is OneRepublic. I thought it was Imagine Dragons or something.

Honestly, I can't really tell them apart either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

The Devil Tesla posted:

For a 16gb iPhone:

Program: $32 x 12 months = $384 for one year, $384 x 2 years = $768 for two years, two phones.
Without program: $650 + $99 = $750 for two years, on one phone.
Without program, selling minor scratched phone: $650 + $99 - $233 (Glyde price for a iPhone 5s) = $517 for two years, on one phone.
Without program, selling minor scratched phone, selling twice $650 + $99 - $395 (Glyde price for a iPhone 6) = $355, $355 x 2 = $710 for two years, two phones.

I'm definitely signing up for the program. I don't use a carrier program now, and currently upgrade every year. I want to know more about the program. I wonder if there is a delay between being in the program and buying new. Also, curious if I need to go to a physical store. I guess we'll hear more as the week goes on.

edit: my questions have been answered - http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

milkaxor fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 9, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, I just took my headphones off for a minute. Why is OneRepublic playing an M83 song?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OOOOOOOH.... i've heard this song. Just didn't know who it was by.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if they mean choose your carrier as in Apple is middleman-ing your contract, or if they mean "Use whoever you want, it's an unlocked phone".

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The Apple Store app is showing info about the upgrade program. Looks like you can sign up online

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, probably better than getting John Mayer playing for the umpteenth time

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mAlfunkti0n posted:

hes mixing in m83 now?

Yeah, what the gently caress Ryan Tedder, sampling one of the catchiest songs ever for your song is straight up cheating.

Hah, preorders start the day before I'm eligible for an upgrade through Jump! If the 6S launch is anything like the 6 launch, I probably wouldn't get the phone until like November.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Is there a list of launch countries for the new Apple TV?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Consummate Professional posted:

The Apple Store app is showing info about the upgrade program. Looks like you can sign up online
http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So what's the deal for developers getting their hands on the new Apple TV?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So will there be an announcement for a new IPad Air in October or are they just going to keep the Air 2 around for another year?

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

OK, thanks thread, see you for WWDC 2016 then.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

It doesn't hurt to give a band i've never heard of, a chance. I dont see myself liking them, but whatever.I'll put it on while playing Diablo 3.

there are better new bands to try than the one that plays at an apple keynote

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

OhFunny posted:

So will there be an announcement for a new IPad Air in October or are they just going to keep the Air 2 around for another year?

The air 2 is "overpowered" they could keep it around and making upgrading next year much more compelling. Plus sales are dropping. They could save on R & d costs

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OhFunny posted:

No more events this year, I imagine. Air 2 is sticking around, which is fine. The A8X is crazy fast.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am on an original air, and it still feels adequate; the Air2 should be fine for a while.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's how the 12 month plans like AT&T Next 12 work:

After 20 payments you pay off phone. So monthly is $650 / 20 = $32.50
After 12 payments, you can turn it in and you don't owe anything. You paid $12 x $32.50 = $390, so you are getting $260 for your phone, which is probably a bit below market rate.

Apple's twist is to include AppleCare+ but don't charge for it. But since AppleCare+ lasts for two years, and you are selling the phone after a year, it's not really worth the full $100.

But all things considered, I don't see why you would go with the carrier plans anymore if you want the 12 month replacement.

Edit: In this state, you also have to pay $40 in sales tax every year, which sucks. That's a whole extra payment.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 9, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Yup $32 is the base model 6S .. 128GB is $40 per month.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel okay about having bought a 6 in late May. If they had busted out wireless charging, or an OIS chip in the basic 6S, I would have done a tiny, tiny bit of teeth-grinding.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No more events this year, I imagine. Air 2 is sticking around, which is fine. The A8X is crazy fast.

I've said it several times in this thread and I stick to it .. I see no reason why I would want to upgrade for at least another year or two with the Air 2, it is a great tablet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm happy there's a new mini, and I hope it does everything the Air 2 does.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yup $32 is the base model 6S .. 128GB is $40 per month.

That's pretty drat affordable. I may have to jump on this.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Thanks guys. I gifted my IPad 4 to my father and was waiting to see if we'd get a new Air this year or at least a price cut.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Craptacular! posted:

I feel okay about having bought a 6 in late May. If they had busted out wireless charging, or an OIS chip in the basic 6S, I would have done a tiny, tiny bit of teeth-grinding.

Wireless charging is poo poo though

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The big question with the upgrade program is how getting a new phone will work. They talk about an option to get a new phone, which makes it sound like you don't get one on launch day automatically.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Was the 6 launch still the same supply shitshow it's been for years?

i.e. If you didn't get one on pre-order or launch day by waiting in line, did it take a month to get one?

I'll be out of the country until like a week after the 6S launch and I'm an impatient goon who doesn't want to wait an extra month for a new gadget.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The other weird thing about the upgrade program:

quote:

You can spread the cost over 24 months, with the option to get a new iPhone after 12 payments.

It would make no sense to keep it for 24 months, since you would pay more than the cost of the phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

smackfu posted:

It would make no sense to keep it for 24 months, since you would pay more than the cost of the phone.

Some people can't afford to pay for a $800 phone up front. Do you not understand the appeal of payment plans?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So iPad options seem to be either:

Latest iPad: get iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4.

Get old iPad for cheap: iPad mini 2.

You would pay $131 more for a Mini 4 and $231 more for an Air 2. If you need the screen size obviously do the Air 2, but Mini 2 vs 4, is $131 worth it for faster processor and Touch ID?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Anyone here getting any of the new products shown?

I'm more than likely getting the new Apple TV and the 6s+

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ahh I really miss the plastic phones. I know that the 5c's main purpose was to make the 5s look better but I like mine a lot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My issue is I need more storage but it feels wrong doing a 1 generation upgrade.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Some people can't afford to pay for a $800 phone up front. Do you not understand the appeal of payment plans?

It's a $650 16 GB iPhone 6S for $32.41 a month. After 24 months you will pay $777.84.

AT&T will sell you the same exact phone for $32.50 and it will be paid off after 18 months, for a total of $650.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'll consider the Apple TV, but I don't know if I can justify an upgrade for games and voice search. If I did buy it I would def get the 32GB model, I stream everything.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'll get El Capitan :v:

The rest of the products are yawn.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

It's a $650 16 GB iPhone 6S for $32.41 a month. After 24 months you will pay $777.84.

AT&T will sell you the same exact phone for $32.50 and it will be paid off after 18 months, for a total of $650.

They're factoring in AppleCare somewhere ..

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Apple is forcing Apple care into the purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

smackfu posted:

650/24 = 27 per month.
768/24 = 32 per month.

The rest of the cost is probably an AppleCare Surcharge. Since they aren't going to make the money off of you that they would by taking back their old phone in a year and reselling it.

• Locked thread