Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

xzzy posted:

How many millions you want for that?

Would be happy to just settle for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Neat, where is that?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

thetzar posted:

Neat, where is that?
I think it's called Lake Agnes, above Lake Louise, Alberta.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sunset Way by alkanphel, on Flickr

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Nubes bajas
Torre Entel
A puddle

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Beautiful.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do I make simple shots like these work better?

- by A Saucy Bratwurst, on Flickr

The first one works i guess because its an interesting thing that people probably haven't seen before (the inside of an abandoned one of these: http://www.riautonews.com/sites/default/files/sign-image.JPG) but the second one just kinda doesn't. I see heaps of photos of similar plain repeating stuff that works and I just don't get how to do it.

E: I meant to post this in the general questions thread but I guess it's kinda related to modern landscape stuff.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Study composition and the elements/principles of design. I would say neither really work because they are repeated patterns without any point of contrast or break, repetition without rhythm.

widunder
May 2, 2002
This thread has been great lately.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Haught posted:

Study composition and the elements/principles of design. I would say neither really work because they are repeated patterns without any point of contrast or break, repetition without rhythm.

This actually helps me quite a bit despite being 2 sentences. I was originally going to say it was really hard to do anything else because I had to stick my camera through a tiny hole, which made me think I should go back and gently caress around with it and try get some nice framing, and then I thought that would be hard because those things look way bigger than they are (1 inch ish). That then made me think I should try see what I can put in there to give a sense of scale. Thanks.

The concrete blocks are harder, they are like 2m in the air and are massive but of the 2 they are the less interesting subject, I'll still try though

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Old Records. by ryantss, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
You guys seem like you might know some things about this...

I'm going to Iceland in October. What should I do/bring/not do?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

thetzar posted:

I was in Reyk for five days and out in the country for three. Ask me specifics about what you're looking for and I'll try to answer them from a tourist perspective (family trip, had a blast), this is me pulling from memory but isn't a complete list of stuff I did.

Do: the golden circle tour, (geysers, canyons, waterfalls) either in a rental or with a guide (edit for clarification: but not a bus). i'd recommend a guide, but it is the more expensive option. I can reco you a great guide if you want.
Do: go hiking somewhere.
DON'T STEP ON THE MOSS (it is probably older than your whole family blood line summed together)
Do: stop at a dairy during the circle tour for the freshest ice cream of all time. like, ruin other ice cream level good ice cream.
Do: get a good currency converter app on your phone. or get used to dividing by ~130 (1 usd =~ 130 isk)
Do: go to Prikid (one of the better bars in Reyk, plays 90s rap, indie, classic rock on the nights i was there)
Don't: be surprised that Icelanders can't hold their liquor for poo poo. As i understand it (and was explained by various tour guides), they culturally only drink two nights of the week, and on those nights they go INNNNNNNNNN. So basically they have no tolerance and are all messes by midnight / 1 am on Saturday.
Consider: a stop at the blue lagoon on your way into Reyk, very cool intro to the country, but pricey and touristy, and between the airport and reyk.
Do: go to a local bath house (cheap and not touristy)
Do: go to HARPA, the opera house(?) at sunset and explore whatever you can on the inside. it's an architecturally crazy building, and has some of the best views of the city. great and pricey italian restaurant on the top floor.
OR Do: go to the giant protestant church there, same reasons + views. and has one of the biggest organs in the world.
Do: go to the flea market near the old harbor
Do: go to the viking museum in reyk. drat cool museum built over an old settlement that you can walk through.
Do: go to Sea Baron (restaurant, cheap + amazing seafood, in the old harbor)
Do: go to Sushibarinn - VERY good fresh sushi, if you're wanting some of that. pretty affordable iirc.
Do: go dog sledding if you like dogs and can arrange it (it's pricey and not available all year). the dogs are amazing and are SO HAPPY to be pulling people on sleds. many dog sled trips include lunch and a stop at a bath house. one of the most memorable thing.
Do: ask locals for the best dinner spots. there is great food in reyk but it is REALLY drat EXPENSIVE. I live in NYC and was blown away by some of the prices. Granted, the food was amazing at the places I was blown away by.
Do: try some of their more exotic fare (exotic animals ranked by taste: rein deer, puffin, horse, minke whale ................... fermented shark). the fermented shark is basically a prank played on you by the country of iceland and if you eat it in a public place people will watch you good naturedly for their amusement as you vomit because of fermented shark.
Don't: Eat horse if you like horses. The Icelandic horses are incredibly cute. I ate HROSS before I saw HROSS, and then felt really bad that I did.
Do: pack layers, obviously. The weather can switch on a dime. In october a shell + sweater should probably be enough on most days, and it should definitely be waterproof. It was actually colder in NYC than Iceland while I was there (in early Nov).
Don't: Drink wine unless you can bring it from Duty Free or money doesn't matter. It's all imported (obv) and a 9 dollar bottle in the states could cost, like, 50 bucks depending on the restaurant.
For pricey restaurant, consider: Fiskmarkadurinn, probably the highest combo of wow factor + food I had there. where I had the puffin and rein deer. The puffin was 30 bucks (appetizer), the reindeer was like 60. the food definitely matched the price, though.
DON'T SWEAT THE NORTHERN LIGHTS. You're probably not going to see them and it's not worth trying to plan around them. But if the opportunity arises, obviously take it.

EDIT: http://forrettabarinn.is/en/ is the third restaurant I went to twice while I was there (along with sea baron and sushibarinn). Very affordable, homey vibe with great beer and incredible food. The hot smoked salmon and langoustine soup are both real real good. The hot smoked salmon was one of the best things I had in Iceland.

xian fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 7, 2015

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

^^^ Not the person you were responding to, but thanks for the Iceland list. I'm planning to go in the next year or two.

I have no idea why I'm getting a vignette with my 100-400, but hopefully it's not too distracting in this shot:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Here's my list:

DO:

- Rent a car. There will be so many random spots on the side of the road you'll want to stop at, it's so much easier than a tour bus. Plus it's a super easy country to drive in.
- If you go north, take the detour up to Latrabjarg to see the puffins. 1000% worth it, and I say that as someone who passed a kidney stone up there and had to drive back to the hospital in Reykjavik to get it looked at.
- Bring a lightweight tripod
- Stay at Skaftafell National Park and enjoy eating the hamburgers from the gas station across the street
- Go on a glacier walk
- Get out of Reykjavik. Seriously, the city is awesome, but the countryside is absolutely phenomenal.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

HookShot posted:

Here's my list:

DO:

- Rent a car. There will be so many random spots on the side of the road you'll want to stop at, it's so much easier than a tour bus. Plus it's a super easy country to drive in.
- If you go north, take the detour up to Latrabjarg to see the puffins. 1000% worth it, and I say that as someone who passed a kidney stone up there and had to drive back to the hospital in Reykjavik to get it looked at.
- Bring a lightweight tripod
- Stay at Skaftafell National Park and enjoy eating the hamburgers from the gas station across the street
- Go on a glacier walk
- Get out of Reykjavik. Seriously, the city is awesome, but the countryside is absolutely phenomenal.

DONT:

- ????

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mido posted:

DONT:

- ????

Don't not visit Iceland :P

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

alkanphel posted:

Don't not visit Iceland :P

This.

It was going to be a dos/don'ts list, but I couldn't think of anything to not do, other than obvious "don't be a dick" stuff that applies to literally everywhere.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Best Western by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

This uncorrected lens cast is...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Tiber River by alkanphel, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
img201 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
You might've thought I was done with these, but you might've been wrong.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Secrets Inn by Tom Olson, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DSCF0010
by Jimbo, on Flickr

DSCF0021
by Jimbo, on Flickr

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

thetzar posted:

There has been some decent info already. Not sure on your length of stay, budget etc.

-Rent a car if you can or at least take a bus to get out of the city if possible
-Guest houses are cheaper than hostels (from what I saw) if you are on a budget and are a couple or don't mind sharing a bed with a travel partner also there is usually some kind of cook facilities which helps keep costs down, probably only applicable outside of Reykjavik.
-If you are up north and want to check out some touristy hot springs like the blue lagoon go to the ones in Mývatn instead, they are cheaper and less crowded (this was recommended to me by locals)
-The Westfjords are really nice and see even less traffic than the already mostly quiet countryside (although not sure what it will be like in October)
-Be prepared for winds/wet weather
-Check out hot springs, there is probably one in pretty much every town, some are nicer than others. (Reykjadalur is a hot river which is neat and is close to Reykjavik)
-Don't be afraid to talking to locals/asking for recommendations etc, everyone I talked to was very friendly and helpful (also pretty much everyone speaks english)
-If you have an unlocked cell phone get a prepaid sim card, it was cheap and invaluable (data for looking up info, maps etc and being able to call and book accommodation etc) and i had coverage almost everywhere I went
-If you are going to be out hiking etc in the country side (which I hope you are) bring waterproof clothing and stuff that dries quickly/easily
-Maybe skip the fermented shark, my girlfriend ate it and basically sat in the car for most of the day feeling ill.
-I know there ware a few dorkroom members that live (or lived?) there meet up with them, they are friendly!

Edit: have some hotdogs from gas stations.

If you have specific questions ask and someone here can probably chime in.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 9, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Black Jack Inn by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Camping USA by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was up in Alaska last month I was fueling up the car, one of those rental motorhomes was parked at a neighboring pump. Some foreign dude, my guess he was French based on the accent, pulled me over and asked how to use American pumps and which gas to put in the vehicle. The only options were different octane ratings so I guess Europe doesn't do octane options? One of his travel companions was off looking at a diesel pump like that was what he wanted to put in the tank, so I like to think I prevented some tourists from bricking a very expensive vehicle.

None of that has anything to do with photography so enjoy my blog post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Thank you so much to everyone for the ideas. I'm going to be there for a week, from Oct 18 to the 25th or 26th. Sort of booked myself in because I was sick and tired of seeing everyone else's Instagram feeds. I definitely intend to rent a car and drive around. I'm not much for camping or climbing (my body is soft and weak), but staying as remote as possible as I can with a bed and doing some day walking works fine if it gets me to see some great poo poo. I want to hit up at least a large section of the ring road, though I don't know if I'll go all the way around — should I? Would you recommend a 4x4, or is a normal car enough? Definitely want to meet some of the rugged, furry horses and take their pictures.

I was planning on exploring on my own, but if hiring a guide is a good idea then I'd definitely be up for it, and would be open to any recommendations!