Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It was an unexpectedly perfect day to go to Magic Kingdom. We checked wait times at 2pm and saw that most rides were 15 minutes or less, so we headed in around 5:30 and hit everything in just a few hours. Seven Dwarfs was even a quick 20 minute wait around 8. It was amazing. Weather was great too, low 80s, which along with the fall decorations made for a really awesome night. I assumed the holiday would mean a packed park, but most rides were walk on.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

It was an unexpectedly perfect day to go to Magic Kingdom. We checked wait times at 2pm and saw that most rides were 15 minutes or less, so we headed in around 5:30 and hit everything in just a few hours. Seven Dwarfs was even a quick 20 minute wait around 8. It was amazing. Weather was great too, low 80s, which along with the fall decorations made for a really awesome night. I assumed the holiday would mean a packed park, but most rides were walk on.

No showers? I was on John Young near the Orange County Correctional Facility (risking my life at the Shooting Gallery) and it rained almost constantly while I was there.

Then again, this is the state where I have literally seen rain falling in the parking spots next to me. Not on me, but around me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah it stayed dry in the park. As soon as we got off World Drive it started pouring. Florida.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Has anyone booked tours with the Disney Visa discount before? I see that I get one, but not sure if there are restrictions or a special procedure to go through.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So now that i'm planned to go, I guess I kinda need to plan the trip itself once we're there...my GF has epilepsy so we can't do Space Mountain so i'm not worried about a FastPass for that, but what rides should we aim to get a FastPass for? I'm kind of 10 years behind in Disney Knowledge and not sure what the marquee rides are anymore or atleast the ones to make sure to get the pass for.

I like all types of rides, and she said Space Mountain is the only one she can't ride. The only rides I absolutely 100% want to do are:

MK:
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Hall of Presidents
Big Thunder
Country Bear (shut up I love animatronics)
Splash mountain

i'm guessing I should aim to use my main fastpass for splash or big thunder? I really am deadset on going on Pirates though so maybe use it for that?

Epcot:
Test Track
American Adventure
Soarin (if its open in Dec)

I don't really know anything else at Epcot.

MGM:
RNR
Twilight Zone

Again, my knowledge of the parks goes back to when I visited just this one park in 2004 :shrug:

Animal Kingdom:
I want to see Gorillas? :shrug:

Thanks for any tips guys, I was debating on buying one of those stupid guidebooks like a real tourist :qq:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Abu Dave posted:

So now that i'm planned to go, I guess I kinda need to plan the trip itself once we're there...my GF has epilepsy so we can't do Space Mountain so i'm not worried about a FastPass for that, but what rides should we aim to get a FastPass for?
My picks...

MK:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Big Thunder Mountain
Splash Mountain

Epcot:
Soarin' (the line gets REALLY long)
Test Track
Mission: Space (check with a cast member on it being epilepsy-safe)

Hollywood Studios:
Tower of Terror
Rockin' Roller Coaster
uh... then leave and go to a water park or mini-golf or something

Animal Kingdom:
Expedition Everest
Kilimanjaro Safari
Primeval Whirl (shut up I like this) or DINOSAUR (but it does have flashing lights)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Toy Story Mania any good? I remember 10 years ago people where going nuts for it.

e; She can't watch 3D movies so I guess it's out anyways :suicide:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I suggest you study the Cheat Sheets on easy WDW. Each Sheet has a map of the park where each attraction is color-coded according to when it's best experienced, general touring strategies, a Fast Pass + priority list, suggested itineraries, and wait time charts for different crowd levels. It's generally recommended to show up about 45 minutes before opening (if you roll up at 9 there will be several thousand people ahead of you, meaning you'll spend more of the morning in long lines), ride popular attractions on standby during the first and last 1-2 hours of operation, and save the less-popular stuff (and your FP+s) for the middle of the day. The FP+s give you a little extra breathing room, especially if you arrive late in the day, but a good plan will help you experience lots of attractions through standby. Also:

*Avoid parks that are having Extra Magic Hours that day - resort-goers will target the EMH park, making it more crowded than the others all day long. Plus it's hard on your body to wake up early or stay up late in order to take advantage of EMH, which means you have less energy for the other days!

*Consider getting a nice sit-down lunch in the park, if you can swing it. While the casuals are scarfing down enough crappy pizza to fuel their trek through the longest lines of the day, you're sitting and relaxing in the nice air conditioning while eating like a civilized person :smug: Plus the lunch menus are often cheaper than the dinner menus, so if you're committing to just one sit-down meal a day, making it lunch (or late breakfast) might save you some money.

*Some restaurants, like Crystal Palace and Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom, accept reservations for up to an hour before park opening, so if you can get in close to 8 AM and eat quickly, you can get to your first attraction of the day before almost anyone else. In fact, this is the only good reason to get breakfast at Be Our Guest - it's $20 per person for some mediocre food and no characters, so you may as well get a jump on the big Fantasyland rides.

*Lunchtime is also a good time to leave the park, especially if you need a nap, but keep in mind that it can take a long time to get there and back. If you're using Disney transport, you may spend an extra hour just traveling.

*Magic Kingdom and Epcot are considered "two-day parks" because they are better enjoyed over a period of two days. Focus on two to three lands in Magic Kingdom or one half of Epcot, then explore the other lands/half on the next visit. It's easy to experience Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios over a single day.

*Gaston is the breakout star of the Magic Kingdom and I suggest you visit him outside his tavern. He is hilarious. Just make sure he doesn't steal your GF!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great tips thanks. We originally were debating on the Dining Plan but decided we're just going to prob do one big meal a day. That's a interesting strategy on riding popular attractions in the first 2 and last 2 hours.

do they keep the rides open during fireworks? My gf can't watch fireworks so I figured we'd atleast be able to get on rides during those with a lesser wait :shrug:

e; PS what the gently caress does "All you care to eat" mean? Like fill up one plate and thats it?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
All you care to eat means all you can eat with less judgement?

Yeah don't use a fastpass for pirates. Rides only stop for closing time and fireworks is the best time to ride.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cais posted:

All you care to eat means all you can eat with less judgement?

Yeah don't use a fastpass for pirates. Rides only stop for closing time and fireworks is the best time to ride.
Pirates shut down for renovations this week.

Not sure when it's opening back up -- hopefully by Christmas? Definitely not in time for my trip. (Dammit.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Abu Dave posted:

Great tips thanks. We originally were debating on the Dining Plan but decided we're just going to prob do one big meal a day.

Good idea. Unless you're doing a bunch of character meals with a bunch of little kids, the DDP is almost always a waste of money. Some people like the convenience of pre-paying for meals even if that means paying more, so the DDP is a good investment for them, but I think most people are more uncomfortable with the idea of not getting their money's worth.

quote:

That's a interesting strategy on riding popular attractions in the first 2 and last 2 hours.

It makes a lot of sense! The casuals sleep in, roll up in the late morning, run non-stop around the parks until they (or, more likely, their small children) are exhausted, then leave. If you take it easy in the middle of the day, you're saving your energy for the times when fewer people are around.

quote:

do they keep the rides open during fireworks? My gf can't watch fireworks so I figured we'd atleast be able to get on rides during those with a lesser wait :shrug:
Yes. Some rides close a few hours before park closing, so check the hours before you head out for your night-time ride.

quote:

e; PS what the gently caress does "All you care to eat" mean? Like fill up one plate and thats it?

It's Disney-speak for "all-you-can-eat." Too many people seem to take "all-you-can-eat" as a challenge and eat to the point of sickness. "All-you-care-to-eat" is a friendly reminder you that you are free to restrict yourself to sensible portions and keep Disney's food costs down.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 9, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting really excited, which I guess is normal :3. I booked the Biergarten and Crystal Palace so far, waiting for the gf to pick some more. I don't really care about meeting characters, and she's going to disney next month with her family anyways, so this is more of a "do what I want" trip...and lots of drinking. On that note, any absolute must stop places to drink? I perfer laid back and casual to partying.

Thanks for that easywdw link, it made planning wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier. And thanks Braksgirl again for all the help :3.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Abu Dave posted:

I'm getting really excited, which I guess is normal :3. I booked the Biergarten and Crystal Palace so far, waiting for the gf to pick some more.

I don't know your girlfriend, but if I were her I'd be begging to go to BOG.

quote:

On that note, any absolute must stop places to drink? I perfer laid back and casual to partying.

If you're serious about getting your drink on, Epcot is the place to be. Many people take the Drink Around the World Challenge, stopping for a drink at each of the World Showcase's 11 pavilions. It's important to pace yourself (the Pavilions are open from 11 to close, so you can average 1 drink every 54 minutes) and to not ride any rides that might cause you to throw up. It may be easier to do two half-challenges over two days - 6 pavilions one day, 5 the other. The best Epcot bars are probably La Cava del [e: sp] Tequila in Mexico and the Rose and Crown in the UK. It's worth noting that you can also Snack Around the World, getting a food item from each pavilion.

easyWDW has a guide to Drink Around the World, which is now over two years out of date (for example, the American pavilion now offers microbrews) but still useful for planning purposes.

http://www.easywdw.com/adults/drink-around-the-world-at-epcot-world-showcase-disney-world/

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I lucked out in that she hates Belle :smug:

yeah I figured Epcot would be it. Wish there was karaoke bars and such. I'll do the challenge though! Twice! I hope!!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

No showers? I was on John Young near the Orange County Correctional Facility (risking my life at the Shooting Gallery) and it rained almost constantly while I was there.

Then again, this is the state where I have literally seen rain falling in the parking spots next to me. Not on me, but around me.

Oh man there is a MUCH better shooting range just a couple of miles up the road.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

WhiteHowler posted:

Pirates shut down for renovations this week.

Not sure when it's opening back up -- hopefully by Christmas? Definitely not in time for my trip. (Dammit.)

Pirates is supposed to be back up by 9/25. We shall see. Hopefully whatever they're doing makes it so the drat thing doesn't shut down every day.

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks for that easywdw link, it made planning wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier. And thanks Braksgirl again for all the help :3.

You are welcome! Again, all you goons have made this a great year for me. So thanks to all of you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

demonR6 posted:

Oh man there is a MUCH better shooting range just a couple of miles up the road.

Oak Ridge, right? Haven't gotten to go there yet.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Noooooo this place.

https://www.orlandogunclub.com/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ah, I heard of that one too.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's nice, I would recommend that one first. Also you pay no fees if you are a certified LEO. ;)

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Abu Dave posted:

On that note, any absolute must stop places to drink?

Trader Sams is a must for the experience alone, when you are done there go upstairs to the Tambu lounge, and just outside you can get a great view of the WDW fireworks as well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

Many people take the Drink Around the World Challenge, stopping for a drink at each of the World Showcase's 11 pavilions. It's important to pace yourself (the Pavilions are open from 11 to close, so you can average 1 drink every 54 minutes) and to not ride any rides that might cause you to throw up. It may be easier to do two half-challenges over two days - 6 pavilions one day, 5 the other. The best Epcot bars are probably La Cava del Tequila in Mexico and the Rose and Crown in the UK. It's worth noting that you can also Snack Around the World, getting a food item from each pavilion.
Look at this amateur.

Drink Around the World? No, what you want to do is the Epcot Gravitational Sligshot:
Down one shot in each pavilion and then ride Mission Space (Orange).

(Don't do this.)

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 9, 2015

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I have never thrown up on a ride

But I came drat close after having dole whip with rum and then riding mission space orange

drat you gary sinise!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

I have never thrown up on a ride

But I came drat close after having dole whip with rum and then riding mission space orange

drat you gary sinise!

Lieutenant Dan shows no mercy

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Our favs in Epcot are the wine shop at the Germany pavilion and of course Rose & Crown. We prefer the Germany pavilion because it is more quiet and we can enjoy our drinks. They started carrying Erdinger Dunkel there which immediately won my loyalty because gently caress I love that beer and is a top five of mine.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody have a recommendation for which area to request when I check in at Coronado Springs? I'm thinking Cabanas because it's closest to the big rear end pool and a bus stop.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Anyone know if the resorts ever do early check-in? And if so, how early?

The online check-in asks your arrival time, but it warns you that check-in doesn't start until 3pm, so I'm not sure how that's helpful.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The resorts will do early check in based on occupancy. Also if you are really nice to the FD clerk and have kids you can plead the "We've been traveling since early this morning and the *insert kids* or *insert our family* etc etc" and they are pretty accommodating. If you are a dick about it then forget it. Usually if they have an available room that is not assigned they will get you in early so you can head out to the parks.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for which area to request when I check in at Coronado Springs? I'm thinking Cabanas because it's closest to the big rear end pool and a bus stop.

Cabanas is good as is Ranchos. I actually prefer Ranchos a bit more because it's the third stop rather than the fourth. I mean, it's not a huge difference but it makes me feel better not to be the last stop for some reason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

demonR6 posted:

The resorts will do early check in based on occupancy. Also if you are really nice to the FD clerk and have kids you can plead the "We've been traveling since early this morning and the *insert kids* or *insert our family* etc etc" and they are pretty accommodating. If you are a dick about it then forget it. Usually if they have an available room that is not assigned they will get you in early so you can head out to the parks.

A general rule of thumb is that if you're really nice to cast members (from janitors to managers), they'll be more willing to go out of their way to help you out and make sure you have a good time. If you're a dick, they won't gently caress you over but they'll definitely give you the minimum service to avoid getting in trouble for doing a poor job and that's about it. Disney has some of the nicest people on the planet working for them, but you want to make sure that you deserve the kindness.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Agreed.

I keep hearing more and more people talking about how CMs are rude to them and immediately I think "Well, you probably deserved it."

I had some great CMs earlier this summer that helped me get my client moved from a resort she didn't like to one she loved. I was very nice and they really came through. Got my client upgraded for free and even gave her taxi vouchers. And all I did was ask nicely.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm British and often find the American "have a nice day!" faux smile service culture to be kind of grating but at Disney the CMs always seemed to find the right balance of polite, helpful and jokey.

The only time it got weird was when I was wearing this t-shirt without even thinking about the fact that it was Star Wars and one of the service staff at some counter-service in Disneyland starts calling me "stormtrooper". I sort of accidentally gave her the worst look before I figured out what she was talking about and then I felt bad because she has to wear a ridiculous costume and work in a kitchen all day and I ruined her joke :( .

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Everyone involved with Disney operations I ever encountered was just absolutely pleasant and very helpful. Not an unhappy person anywhere, not the housekeeping staff, the pretzel vendors, hotel front desk, characters, everything 100% first class.

Now the entitled assholes who think they can treat people like poo poo because they're spending a bunch of money to visit WDW, now those people are loving everywhere.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm not a cast member myself (many of my friends are, but I only worked at Universal), but they do maintain rather strict hiring and behavioral standards. I actually know of one young woman who was told that she "wasn't Disney material" after her interview. She's a very nasty person with a bad anger and laziness streak who was fired from Universal after hurling a trash can in the break room.

Disney still holds a lot of magic for many people regardless of age, and they generally treat their employees well.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I had a bad experience with a CM

My friend ordered a salad and a cup of water at a counter service place and the guy taking the order *insisted* she had ordered a Sprite. She had not, but he INSISTED and wouldn't take it off. He was certain she had ordered a Sprite. We asked for a manager and one came... and the two started talking to each other in French. The manager never once spoke to us. My food came up, so we just left and complained at city hall.

Got a voucher for free drinks. Though we should have insisted on getting free food too since my friend never actually got to have dinner.

It was a horrible experience. The CM was just so rude. And the manager too.

We got Sprites with the vouchers. It seemed fitting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

To be fair, a lot of the country staff in EPCOT are contracted companies and not Disney employees, including the French quick service place.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Abu Dave posted:

Do you guys consider Park Hopper a must have?

A little late on this, but my wife and I do. It really depends on how much you want to plan ahead. We usually don't even discuss what days we want to do what until after we've checked into the hotel. Neither of us really like any of the food in the parks, but like almost every place in EPCOT, so we'll usually have lunch and/or dinner there almost every day. Also we both consider Animal Kingdom (because of the hours) and Hollywood Studios (because there is nothing there) to be half day visits so we usually do both on the same day. Plus, if we pick the wrong day to do something and it's way too crowded we can say gently caress this and go somewhere else.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 9, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah braksgirl talked me into getting them. I did bad planning my airplane trip though as we get to Florida at like 12 PM and check in isnt until 3 PM and we have a similiar "problem" on our last day there; the plane leaves at 8 PM.

I was kinda thinking the first day we'll get there, rent a car and go to a store but then I remembered we\re doing magical express so we have to kill hours some way before check in. Half debating on adding another ticket to my plan so we can just kill the afternoon in a park, or is there things to do to kill the time at the resort possibly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Bottom Liner posted:

To be fair, a lot of the country staff in EPCOT are contracted companies and not Disney employees, including the French quick service place.
That makes sense. My 34 year old wife was carded in the England section of Epcot for a beer, and we left our wallets/IDs in the room thinking that the Magic Band would have this info. It sucked.