Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
100w is more than enough, if the venue demands more they will have a PA, if they don't, don't play there as it may be a supermarket or aircraft hangar

My next gig is here:

Full house as well, it's a bit nervy to say the least :lol:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jeff Berlin is doing a tribute to Jack Bruce, and he's even getting Alan Holdsworth into the act:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/jeffberlinplaysjackbruce

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Jeff Berlin is doing a tribute to Jack Bruce, and he's even getting Alan Holdsworth into the act:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/jeffberlinplaysjackbruce

50% is as good as we're gonna get for a "Bruford" reunion.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I am pretty sure I first saw this video in here at some point and now I'm here to ask some questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7GwahuVVg

I am reasonably certain I understand what is going on in the left hand, but I am totally lost with the right hand and how I would go about building this sort of skillset. I am really interested in the idea of solo bass playing and I love how TM does his heavy funk thing. If anyone has some advice for deconstructing this and/or general advice for building this sort of technique that would be great. Right now my main playing style is a sort of Billy Sheehan type thing adapted for 6 string bass, but it's only mostly useful for band settings and not so much as a solo instrument use. Thanks guys.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I bought Bass Fitness: An Exercising handbook and I regret not buying it years ago :( I could have a left hand that could crush melons by now.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

UncleBlazer posted:

I bought Bass Fitness: An Exercising handbook and I regret not buying it years ago :( I could have a left hand that could crush melons by now.

good book

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I'm a bass player doing a small outdoor festival (acoustic stage of course) tomorrow, and I'm thinking of printing out a flyer or something with the band's twitter, facebook, and email on it, and passing it out after the show. Is that a good idea? Should I do cards instead (seems expensive)? Should I just yell our twitter handle at people? Never did it before so in unfamiliar terrain, I don't even know what a good site to do that stuff is.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shageletic posted:

Don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I'm a bass player doing a small outdoor festival (acoustic stage of course) tomorrow, and I'm thinking of printing out a flyer or something with the band's twitter, facebook, and email on it, and passing it out after the show. Is that a good idea? Should I do cards instead (seems expensive)? Should I just yell our twitter handle at people? Never did it before so in unfamiliar terrain, I don't even know what a good site to do that stuff is.

I don't see how flyers could hurt. 1 day also seems like a small turnaround time to get cards made and printed.

I don't think anyone will remember a Twitter handle that's been yelled at them during a gig.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have experience with these strings? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dr-strings-drop-down-tuning-5-string-heavy-bass-strings

I've got an EBS Metaldrive pedal which I combine with a Wooly Mammoth fuzz pedal for a nice heavy, crushing stoner/doom metal sound but I need thicker strings for downtuning.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have experience with these strings? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dr-strings-drop-down-tuning-5-string-heavy-bass-strings

I've got an EBS Metaldrive pedal which I combine with a Wooly Mammoth fuzz pedal for a nice heavy, crushing stoner/doom metal sound but I need thicker strings for downtuning.

DDTs are pretty good, they don't get as floppy when tuned low as others. Sometimes DR can have some QC issues, but their customer service is pretty good if you have issues.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

I don't see how flyers could hurt. 1 day also seems like a small turnaround time to get cards made and printed.

I don't think anyone will remember a Twitter handle that's been yelled at them during a gig.

Ended up doing the flyer thing (was just joking about the yelling thing), passed some out. Now I just need to post on Twitter and Instagram a bunch I guess. Do people here promote on Myspace anymore? Bandcamp? Where else?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Tockify. Facebook. Uhhhhhhh maybe Tumblr?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I spend a lot of my week promoting gigs, and I find a good way to do it is join relevant groups on Facebook, so join a local music group, local events group, local offers group, local items for sale groups, things like that.
Also let posters do your work for you as well as fliers, poster the venue if possible.
Then I use Twitter to send @whoever will retweet my stuff, I keep a list of people who I KNOW will retweet and I always hit them first - these contacts can take a while to build up but are worth it.

At festivals talk to other bands as much as possible and give them a CD (make sure your CD has contact info on it), ask about doing gigs with them and generally just network as much as possible. Ask the sound dude where he usually works, the lighting dude, all those guys have contacts.

Have a banner behind the band on stage, no one will ever remember your name if you just say it but they will post pics of you playing with it in the background to their facebook etc.

Finally I always see bands as 4 (or however many members you have) ways to split costs or 4 ways to increase promotion. Encourage all members of your band to do all of the above and suddenly you have 4 x the coverage. Same with costs, it should always cost you personally 25% of the total.

Ideally you should have 4 accounts on all social networking, all doing the above, spreading the cost of fliers 4 ways and boosting posts etc on FB and Twitter.

If you are playing a festival with a well known headliner promote to THEIR audience. This means you are tweeting to the headliner saying you are looking forward to the gig, you are posting to their page saying the same etc, you'll get retweets off that band that way and to their (usually) pretty huge audience. Put their name on YOUR posters etc, use their position to better your position.

Get people to sign up to a newsletter if you can, using mailchimp will do. Out of all the promo tools I have this one gets the highest hit rate, it's the most valuable tool I have.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 31, 2015

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend some exercises to using a 3 finger gallop for playing heavier/faster music? I can play pretty well with 2 fingers but if I add my ring finger it gets messy.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Pretty obscure question buuuuut... Has anyone ordered La Bella flatwounds for the Fender VI before and how long did it take to get them?

Ordered from bassstringsonline and the guy who runs it was really nice and said La Bella is a small company who make strings in batches. Been waiting six/seven weeks and still no word :saddowns:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend some exercises to using a 3 finger gallop for playing heavier/faster music? I can play pretty well with 2 fingers but if I add my ring finger it gets messy.

I don't think there's any real secret to it other than start slow and work your way up. I think when I started doing it I used to go (with 1 being index finger) 321x21 in time over and over until I got used to the motion. Some people go the other way with index first, but I go back to front. If you're looking for music to practice to, look no further than old Iron Maiden, Harris is the gallop king.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Harris only uses 2 fingers though. I've read that he puts chalk on his hands to help them glide over the strings.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

UncleBlazer posted:

Pretty obscure question buuuuut... Has anyone ordered La Bella flatwounds for the Fender VI before and how long did it take to get them?

Ordered from bassstringsonline and the guy who runs it was really nice and said La Bella is a small company who make strings in batches. Been waiting six/seven weeks and still no word :saddowns:

That sounds... like... how you say... ah yes... the poo poo of a bull.

I just ordered some La Bella strings for my Squier VI a few weeks ago. Hang on, let me look... OK, here are the details: Ordered 8/28/15, shipped 9/1/15, received 9/3/15. After a few days, I put them on and realized that the full winding on the low E wasn't long enough, which suggests that it was meant for the Ibanez Crossover, which doesn't have that extra several inches between the tailpiece and bridge. (I emailed them on 9/3 and sent a picture, and they got back to me on 9/8 and said it was a mistake. They're sending the correct string. I imagine it'll be here in a day or two.)

So, if they get me the replacement string by 9/11/15, which is Friday (and they'll probably hit that deadline), then my entire experience with them will have taken 2 weeks, start to finish, including email correspondence and a second shipment to replace an incorrect string. Granted, these are roundwounds, but that's also two weeks, with several days in there for correspondence and replacement.

I ordered direct from La Bella, too.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

UncleBlazer posted:

I am currently having this same problem as well. I ordered another set of strings at the same time and they shipped it in the second week, I guess when they realized that it would be a while for the LaBella strings to come in? But I haven't heard anything either and was considering emailing them about this.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
I have a simpler question than how to emulate TM Stevens. I have pretty much figured out how to not hurt myself playing hours of bass at a time and I think my ergonomics are pretty solid but for the life of me I don't understand how I can hold a power chord or a real chord without hurting my left hand. After a few minutes my hand is just completely sore and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I really want to play those Iron Maiden tracks but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If it makes a difference, I have small hands.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Kvlt! posted:

I am mostly self-taught, so my technique may be unorthodox. I learned to do this as an adolescent trying to play along to Primus tapes.

What I did was straighten my fingers out and tap them in sequence on a flat surface. Once I was able to go pinky-ring-middle-index in a steady rhythm, I used my thumb to elevate my hand off of the surface so my fingers had to travel further. Once I was able to do that comfortably, I started to curve my fingers a bit so it looked sort of like when that disembodied hand from Addams Family crawls around.

You then have to figure out comfortable arm and wrist angles when transferring that motion to bass strings, but the motion of the fingers pretty much is the same. Resting the tip of the thumb on the top of the pickup helps.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

UncleBlazer posted:

Had a similar experience getting tapewounds for the VI from the same site. Didn't take quite as long, but it did take longer to ship than other strings.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

TopherCStone posted:

Had a similar experience getting tapewounds for the VI from the same site. Didn't take quite as long, but it did take longer to ship than other strings.

Hmm yeah thanks guys. I'm not sure what to do now, hold on or just cancel my order.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

UncleBlazer posted:

Hmm yeah thanks guys. I'm not sure what to do now, hold on or just cancel my order.

Cancel and reorder from a retailer who actually gives a poo poo, or from La Bella themselves. They make great strings, don't let a bad seller prevent you from trying them out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've always had good luck getting La Bella from JustStrings dot com

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Shipping to the UK is expensive. I'll order from direct strings. Hope the la bellas are worth it! Getting so annoyed with stock strings.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Order individual VI strings from Labella. It's like £10 cheaper than buying one of their sets over here and delivery isn't that slow. Just double checked and the delivery costs go up if you order multiple sets of strings which is mildly annoying as it's over half the cost.

still can't beat £16 for a .24' to .94' set.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 14, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
I just got an email saying my LaBellas are shipping tomorrow.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
So in a fit of depression and stupidity a few years back I basically got rid of all my gear. I only kept my Line 6 705 a crappy tuner and a crappy headphone amp. My wife has pushed me back in to being serious about playing as she's starting to learn guitar. I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive not crap metronome, tuner, and a strap. The 705 is not light and the six string J she bought me for my birthday isn't light either so I need a good strap. Also one thing I never did when I was playing before was learn to sight read or make a concerted effort to train my ear I just went with what my ear told me sounded good. Anyone know of any good flash card sights that have decent sound samples of the notes along with explaining things like where this B is to be played on the neck. I looked in to flash cards before and they seemed to teach recognizing the symbols and their place on the cleff but failed to teach where this particular B is to be played as there are several options. Obviously I'm going to try to find an instructor but I didn't have the greatest of luck the last time I tried that. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I am mostly self-taught, so my technique may be unorthodox. I learned to do this as an adolescent trying to play along to Primus tapes.

What I did was straighten my fingers out and tap them in sequence on a flat surface. Once I was able to go pinky-ring-middle-index in a steady rhythm, I used my thumb to elevate my hand off of the surface so my fingers had to travel further. Once I was able to do that comfortably, I started to curve my fingers a bit so it looked sort of like when that disembodied hand from Addams Family crawls around.

You then have to figure out comfortable arm and wrist angles when transferring that motion to bass strings, but the motion of the fingers pretty much is the same. Resting the tip of the thumb on the top of the pickup helps.

This is good advice man, thanks! Its helped a lot. Though it was tragically ironic because I could do a wicked fast gallop on my left hand and my right is slow and clunky. If only I was a left-handed bassist :doh:

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

I just got an email saying my LaBellas are shipping tomorrow.

I got mine shipped last night. Guess he wasn't lying about it!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jeremy_X posted:

So in a fit of depression and stupidity a few years back I basically got rid of all my gear. I only kept my Line 6 705 a crappy tuner and a crappy headphone amp. My wife has pushed me back in to being serious about playing as she's starting to learn guitar. I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive not crap metronome, tuner, and a strap. The 705 is not light and the six string J she bought me for my birthday isn't light either so I need a good strap. Also one thing I never did when I was playing before was learn to sight read or make a concerted effort to train my ear I just went with what my ear told me sounded good. Anyone know of any good flash card sights that have decent sound samples of the notes along with explaining things like where this B is to be played on the neck. I looked in to flash cards before and they seemed to teach recognizing the symbols and their place on the cleff but failed to teach where this particular B is to be played as there are several options. Obviously I'm going to try to find an instructor but I didn't have the greatest of luck the last time I tried that. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

You can get some good free metronome apps for your phone, search a few out.

Cheap straps? Honestly just buy one you like the look of, nice and wide for a bass as it'll be more comfy. Tuners I'd get one of these:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...CFQrhGwodte8G0w

They are great and convenient, you can leave them on during gigs to tune up between songs if needed etc.

As for the ear training and stuff, I dunno, just play, have fun and see what you pick up :)

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

You can get some good free metronome apps for your phone, search a few out.

Cheap straps? Honestly just buy one you like the look of, nice and wide for a bass as it'll be more comfy. Tuners I'd get one of these:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...CFQrhGwodte8G0w

They are great and convenient, you can leave them on during gigs to tune up between songs if needed etc.

As for the ear training and stuff, I dunno, just play, have fun and see what you pick up :)

Thanks for the tips. Also I know they're crazy hard to find now since they've been discontinued but the Variax basses are pretty fun.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Is the Epiphone EB-3 a good starter bass? I like the looks, I like the tone control options. I have multiple guitars but want to try out a bass for playing through stuff like BIAS or Amplitube on my ipad/iphone and playing Rocksmith.

I don't like the look of ibanananez metal style things, so for around that price I guess its the other option is a Squier like maybe a jag bass, or PJ?

Anyone just ordered one off amazon? I could go to the local sam ash or guitar center, but might end up buying a new guitar instead if I play them.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have an EB 0 kicking around and I like it because it's small and easy to handle, it sounds OK but more than anything I love its simplicity and 'grabbability' - You can just have it lying around and pick it up whenever.

As a guitar player I like it, it feels familiar if you know what I mean.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I have an EB 0 kicking around and I like it because it's small and easy to handle, it sounds OK but more than anything I love its simplicity and 'grabbability' - You can just have it lying around and pick it up whenever.

As a guitar player I like it, it feels familiar if you know what I mean.

I guess the EB-3 is also longer scale 34" vs the short scale 30" EB-0

Would be even more affordable to get the EB-0

I think guitar center has them in stock too. I could try it out and whatever else they have around that $200-$350 price range.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Go play with basses and feel the magic. I wouldn't get a short scale just because it's close to a guitar, they're pretty different instruments - bass is way more physical and tactile to me, and the size is sort of part of that. It's a 'big' instrument on a lot of levels, which is all part of its charm

I'm not saying don't get a short scale or a bass uke or whatever if that's your thing, but go get your hands on a few first (try and wear them if you can)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Actually my dad has a P-Bass that I've played a few times and it didn't scare me away. So I think I do have to try a few out since I actually have never played the shorter scale bass.

I found myself playing root and chord notes while jamming with him and a few of his friends a couple times which is what got me thinking I might enjoy having a bass and learning more.

It think it might help my guitar playing too if I learn more of the fretboard, song keys, scales down the neck etc.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

I guess the EB-3 is also longer scale 34" vs the short scale 30" EB-0

Would be even more affordable to get the EB-0

I think guitar center has them in stock too. I could try it out and whatever else they have around that $200-$350 price range.

The EB-3 is really awkward and neck-divey. The body shape just doesn't accommodate the long neck. The Epiphone EB-0 is much better in terms of size, but if I remember correctly it can be hard to get it to intonate properly (even harder than usual with the 3-point bridge, that is). Neither one of them is particularly versatile, tonewise. They have a good sound, but a very particular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JHVH-1 posted:

Actually my dad has a P-Bass that I've played a few times and it didn't scare me away. So I think I do have to try a few out since I actually have never played the shorter scale bass.

I found myself playing root and chord notes while jamming with him and a few of his friends a couple times which is what got me thinking I might enjoy having a bass and learning more.

It think it might help my guitar playing too if I learn more of the fretboard, song keys, scales down the neck etc.

It really does - hit up StudyBass and it'll walk you through learning the fretboard, learning chord tones and so on. Because it's mostly single notes and you're providing the foundation of the song, it really cuts to the chase and helps you understand the fundamentals of music. I mean bass isn't just that, but that focus and traditional role is nice to get into. And that knowledge transfers to guitar too of course

Bass is fun as hell and the physicality is a big part of it - especially when you play with your fingers. You can get so many different tones out of it, and the feel is really percussive sometimes. There's the low end too but that really depends on your amp to get those really powerful sub frequencies. And bass electronics can be more complicated than guitars, if you see an active bass in the store you might get a bit confused about what all these knobs are doing. And try a 5-string too (maybe a 6- for a laugh), just to see what's out there. It's a cool niche of its own

If you want to try a short scale, there's an SS VM Jag bass that they might have in stock too