Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Interesting tidbits from this: http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/strike/2015/09/05/eyeing-iran-israel-readies-stealth-strike-fighter/71608464/

quote:

At some later point — or perhaps nearer term, depending on the level of additional security assistance forthcoming from Washington — Israel may opt for 25 F-35Bs. Short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) capabilities designed for the F-35B version, sources here said, may be more compelling if Israel determines that its runways are vulnerable to enemy missile threats.

“There’s no dilemma on the first 50; those will be F-35As,” said the IAF program official. “After that, if we go to a full 75 airplanes, the STOVL version is something to be considered. There are advantages and disadvantages in this option. But it’s always nice to retain the option,” he said.

On reflection, that might actually be a place where the short field capability really makes sense.

Also:

quote:

Similarly, the contractor is assessing Israeli concepts for external wing tanks to augment the 18,000 pounds of fuel carried internally by the F-35.

“We’re studying proof of concept trade studies on carrying extra fuel,” a Lockheed Martin program official told Defense News. “After you own the air space, you won’t have to worry about stealth. So then you can add external tanks because you won’t be worried about being detected.”

Israeli defense and industry sources said that ultimately they hope to develop F-35 conformal fuel tanks that are stealthy. Nevertheless, they say it is well worth the effort given that it will more than double the range with very low risk of detection.

"Double the range" I think puts it in F-111 territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Interesting tidbits from this: http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/strike/2015/09/05/eyeing-iran-israel-readies-stealth-strike-fighter/71608464/

On reflection, that might actually be a place where the short field capability really makes sense.

Also:

"Double the range" I think puts it in F-111 territory.

The usual reported combat radius for the F-35A is 590nm* so they're talking 1180nm.

For Israel thats an especially huge difference, take a look 1180nm, 590nm.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StandardVC10 posted:

"Involved in a mishap" is a bit different from "accident/war-related loss" though.

Hence me saying "not quite".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Is this something that's considered when drawing up requirements for a new jet?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Flyability with wing tips folded up? I wanna say the story I heard was that it was a happy accident that that didn't spell disaster for the pilot. Much like the Israeli F-15 capable of flight as a one-winged rocket ship was to McDonnell Douglas engineers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Leather Bear posted:

Flyability with wing tips folded up? I wanna say the story I heard was that it was a happy accident that that didn't spell disaster for the pilot. Much like the Israeli F-15 capable of flight as a one-winged rocket ship was to McDonnell Douglas engineers.

The F-4 has done it before as well, there's pictures out there.

From what I understand, the Crusader ended up doing it quite often, though. :haw:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leather Bear posted:

If the Crusader's Wikipedia entry is to be believed, there was more than one instance of F-8s being flown successfully with the wings folded.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The C has never flown with its wings folded. Checkmate f-35ailures :smug:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

"Involved in a mishap" is a bit different from "accident/war-related loss" though.

While finding the Crusader statistics I found another document about Naval air safety. Apparently in 1954 alone, the Navy/Marines lost 776 aircraft and 535 crew. :stare:

I'd hate to see what the final tally was with the Air Force and Army mixed in with it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Two things:

- Carrier aviation is really, really hard (doubly so when your powerplant is an underpowered non-responsive early jet motor), and when Naval Aviators talk about lessons learned in blood they're being quite literal

- It's amazing what the US military has done to drive down accidents related to stupidity/ignorance (both mx and aircrew). I can't imagine how much of an aneurysm I'd have if I walked into your average mx shop c. 1955.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I just think of everyone in DOD and DOE prior to about 1965 as being Homer, Lenny, and Carl.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't forget Earl.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

hobbesmaster posted:

The usual reported combat radius for the F-35A is 590nm* so they're talking 1180nm.

Being able to hit inside iran seems like something the Israelis would like to have.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So Lockheed Martin just protested the JLTV contract, while AM General and took the high road saying "it would ultimately result in a distraction from our current growth business areas."

It's so perfect.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So Chinese carriers are going to be a blood bath to their own pilots eh?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

So Chinese carriers are going to be a blood bath to their own pilots eh?
They probably won't be quite as spectacular as 50's-60's Naval Aviation, just because planes and ejection seats everywhere are better than they were back then. Plus, they aren't the first to do it, so they have probably taken a lot of notes. Still, carrier aviation is a dangerous business even today, and the learning curve is steep.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see the F-35 finally managed a flight outside the US: http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/2015/09/08/f-35-soars-over-italy-first-time-outside-us/71866044/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It was assembled in Italy, it didn't fly to there from the US.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I know. Still the first time any F-35 has flown outside the US.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I'm in the US on holiday at the moment, just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the Midway tour, it was awesome to walk around on a ship that big learning all about it. It was also great to see some iconic planes like the F4U, F-4, F-8 and F/A-18 up close. I even got to sit in the cockpit of a few.

As a bonus on the drive back to Anaheim saw an Apache and Osprey flying around near the stretch of road running through Pendleton.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

AceRimmer posted:

Looks like one of the Kornet models?

correct

Phanatic posted:

Royal Marines put two Carl Gustav rounds into an Argentinian corvette that was shelling them and drove it off. Did some pretty good damage to it, too.

Holy poo poo really? Any more info?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

correct

Holy poo poo really? Any more info?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_South_Georgia#ARA_Guerrico

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

loving metal

..then they surrendered.

At least they had their senses to avoid being plastered by the 100mm.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, then compare it to their existing F-16s and it's a game-changer.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Mortabis posted:

Yeah, then compare it to their existing F-16s and it's a game-changer.

I don't know if I've been infected with a terminal case of Grover or something but I've been growing to like the F-35. If I ever try to build my own house, someone please mercy-kill me.

Adorable Baltic country news:

http://www.postimees.ee/3316791/fotod-ja-video-amaris-maandus-kaks-superhavitajat

"These aircraft operate on only a very selected lennubaasides and the F-22, today's landing is a great recognition for the entire Estonian Air Force professionalism to ensure the clock Ämari air base, and the monitoring and management capacity of the functioning of the level that corresponds to the world's strongest air force senior techniques requirements," said the Google Translate version of Air Force Colonel Jaak Tarien.

So, okay, it's just some dude fangirling hard over F-22s landing, right? It turns out Colonel Jaak Tarian is the commander of the entire Estonian Air Force.

How are these countries even real?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Showtime posted:

So, okay, it's just some dude fangirling hard over F-22s landing, right? It turns out Colonel Jaak Tarian is the commander of the entire Estonian Air Force.

The entire Estonian Air Force is smaller than your typical hillbilly aeroclub.

The Baltic countries' air forces are mostly radar operators, they have some limited light transport/patrol/search and rescue capability but the only reason they've got airfields is to be able to host the rotating NATO presence that does the actual air force work in their skies.

Like when you know the Estonian Air Force has a personnel of only about 200 people, then it sheds a different light on this whole "holy poo poo we managed to make our air base good enough for the US stealth fighter to land on it" spiel.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 10, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The translation is mangling it but he's promoting the deployment of F-22s to Ämäri Air Base because it's a show of force from the US, when regarding a certain eastern neighbour of Estonia, and it's also a demonstration that the base is capable of servicing the top fighter of the USAF. He's jazzed about the base, not the fighter.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's like winning 'Lawn Of The Month' from your HOA, except the prize is an f-22 coming to hang out with you.

And then your fuckhead neighbor gets fined for pulling trashed cars on his lawn, AND THEN YOU BOMB IT WITH AN F-22

You'd plotz too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bomb all HOAs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
http://gfycat.com/SolidPassionateAmoeba

The F-4 seems a bit of a dog compared to the F-16 there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In every measurable way.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Can F-16s fly from carriers? :colbert:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Can F-16s fly from carriers? :colbert:

It's the landing part that's difficult, they can take off just fine I would assume.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I dunno, you still need reinforced gear to handle the stress of a catapult launch, not just landing.

I don't think the F-16 can get to Vr in a thousand feet unassisted and that assumes they get the whole deck. If they have to take off in the same distance as a catapult launch that's like ... 300 feet maybe? Assuming a Nimitz-class here.

it really needs to be emphasized that naval aviation is the triumph of materials engineering over the laws of physics. Landing and takeoff on a carrier are both flatly insane endeavors.

insanely cool, that is

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 10, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

How many carrier planes can do it without a catapult?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

xthetenth posted:

Stretching the definition of plane, Ospreys, Harriers, the F-35B :haw:

I don't know about skijump carriers or anything like that but for a flat-deck with catapults I'm pretty sure everything that isn't capable of vertical takeoff in one form or another uses a cat.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'd wager the only ones with a prayer of doing it are prop planes.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mortabis posted:

I'd wager the only ones with a prayer of doing it are prop planes.

With the right plane you don't even need the prayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvT5LMhvogw

Edit: Obviously these aren't military aircraft, still neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

xthetenth posted:

I hear some crazy sons of bitches did it with B-25s once...