Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jacobus Spades posted:

Bummer this sold out so quickly (or was never available to begin with in my ZIP...) are there any other ultra wides at a similar price point with comparable specs to this? The 29um67 is available on Amazon for ~$320 too....

I picked up that 29um67, it's pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I there a way to adjust the backlight brightness on a monitor with a TN panel (Asus Vx248h)? I spent several hours tweaking the brightness and contrast but came to the conclusion that its the backlight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Adjusting the brightness should be adjusting the backlight? There's no monitor that I can think of offhand that has a separate control for "Backlight level" and plain "Brightness level"

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Oh, that actually was a 35" 2560x1080 display?
I have been at the booth and I thought the guy I was talking to was making GBS threads me when he told me it was a 35" screen. I really couldn't tell, because it was a triple screen setup, I have never sat in front of a 30"+ ultra wide screen before and it was placed a little farther away than what I am used to from my desktop.

That also might explain why I wasn't blown away by the image quality.

I only have a very short clip from behind the racing seat,just a pan over the setup - no one was playing so I took over. I'll upload it later.

As I said, I was underwhelmed by the image quality (expecting it to actually be a 34" 3440x1440 before the booth guy told me it was 35" and 2560x1080). He also told me the monitor had an "extra graphic card" when I asked about G-sync, which did not exactly bolster my trust in his expertise.

I noticed 4 or 5 USB ports in the back. Lighting was pretty poor, but I still did not like the overall design, but hey, GAMERRRR monitor...

Price was mentioned being ~800 Euro, I am assuming including sales tax/VAT.

Weak. Oh well, back to pining for the XR3501 then.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Cephalocidal posted:

Weak. Oh well, back to pining for the XR3501 then.

Isn't that one also 2560x1080? I don't get how these guys can justify the $800 price tag when it's not even 1440p. Who's gonna buy these things?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hikaki posted:

Isn't that one also 2560x1080? I don't get how these guys can justify the $800 price tag when it's not even 1440p. Who's gonna buy these things?

It is 1080p yes, but the biggest feature is that it is 200Hz. They can basically charge whatever they want for it and people will buy it just for that.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Hikaki posted:

Me? 1080p means I can take more advantage of the high refresh rate with less than two Titans in SLI. I've used a 4k monitor, it's really nice. Being able to read the text tags on things I'm running past in a game without having to stop because the refresh rate is high enough to render steep vectors without blurring is nicer.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
The photography dept said they're getting NEC PA272W-BK 27" LED Backlit Wide Gamut LCD Desktop Displays so I'ma go with that. Thanks all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cephalocidal posted:

Being able to read the text tags on things I'm running past in a game without having to stop because the refresh rate is high enough to render steep vectors without blurring is nicer.

I'm using a 7 year old 60hz ips screen and this is never an issue :wtc:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cephalocidal posted:

Me? 1080p means I can take more advantage of the high refresh rate with less than two Titans in SLI. I've used a 4k monitor, it's really nice. Being able to read the text tags on things I'm running past in a game without having to stop because the refresh rate is high enough to render steep vectors without blurring is nicer.

Truga posted:

I'm using a 7 year old 60hz ips screen and this is never an issue :wtc:

Uhh.. Yea, ^^ this. Also despite the trend towards "Just buy a 980ti!!!" goonsensus for anything over 1080 resolution, you don't actually need something that powerful to get a totally fine experience. High refresh rate/ULMB displays still look fantastic even if you're not pushing 144 fps. Even if you're at sub 60.

The last screen I remember with blurring as bad as you described was like.. The Dell 2408, which was a reallllly slow panel by today's standards. (Even though it had excellent color).

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Gwaihir posted:

Uhh.. Yea, ^^ this. Also despite the trend towards "Just buy a 980ti!!!" goonsensus for anything over 1080 resolution, you don't actually need something that powerful to get a totally fine experience. High refresh rate/ULMB displays still look fantastic even if you're not pushing 144 fps. Even if you're at sub 60.

The last screen I remember with blurring as bad as you described was like.. The Dell 2408, which was a reallllly slow panel by today's standards. (Even though it had excellent color).

Anything over 30 fps in most situations isn't necessary. Jumping from 20 to 30 is a big improvement and if you never saw 60 you'd never think it was bad. 60 is wonderful but not necessary.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Anything over 30 fps in most situations isn't necessary. Jumping from 20 to 30 is a big improvement and if you never saw 60 you'd never think it was bad. 60 is wonderful but not necessary.

Not necessary, true. Most games are playable at 30 FPS, though you probably won't be competitive in anything "twitch" oriented. Not still a huge difference...very false. You're right that if you've never experienced 60 you wouldn't know to miss it, but unless you have only ever played games on a potato (and never play older games that still run fast on even lovely hardware) it's hard to have not experienced it.

Here's the same scene in the same game with 30 and 60 side by side. 30 is a jerky mess, it's not even close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksH65BmjK4

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Going from 60Hz -> 144Hz was a world of a difference. It instantly made me not regret picking up a ultrawide screen.

This is also a good example of 30 vs 60fps

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm REALLY getting the itch for a high refresh rate G-Sync monitor in the next couple of months. I know the Acer XB270HU is the current top dog but man oh man the last few pages full of QC issues make me want to hold out for a better option. Looking in the near future I only see two comparable monitors:
  • Asus PG279Q: The older PG278Q seemed to be well regarded despite the TN panel. The PG279Q's IPS panel should put it over the top if Asus can manufacture them reliably.
  • Acer XB271HU: This sounds like Acer's next entry into this category. Maybe they'll have the QC bugs worked out this time? That "Predator" branding looks a little gaudy though:

Are these two pretty much it for upcoming 27" G-Sync IPS monitors with high refresh rates?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Dell is also coming out with a XB270HU equivalent within the next month or two.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Etrips posted:

Dell is also coming out with a XB270HU equivalent within the next month or two.
You mean the S2716DG? (Yet another catchy name.) I did get excited at first but everyone seems convinced it will be a TN panel due to the 1ms response time.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Dell screen is confirmed TN.

I wouldn't expect for the PG279Q to have any better QC than the XB270HU considering that the PG278Q was a mess from launch too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FraudulentEconomics posted:

30 FPS may be OK in some games, but it's borderline and 30hz on the desktop is pure 100% eye-aids whenever anything is in motion. It makes a plenty powerful machine feel choppy and laggy even when it's not.

Yea, everyone's eyes are different in what they can perceive, but uhhhh 30 FPS is pretty bad and obvious even if you're generally not one to notice things like that.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

wolrah posted:

Not necessary, true. Most games are playable at 30 FPS, though you probably won't be competitive in anything "twitch" oriented. Not still a huge difference...very false. You're right that if you've never experienced 60 you wouldn't know to miss it, but unless you have only ever played games on a potato (and never play older games that still run fast on even lovely hardware) it's hard to have not experienced it.

Here's the same scene in the same game with 30 and 60 side by side. 30 is a jerky mess, it's not even close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksH65BmjK4

Gwaihir posted:

30 FPS may be OK in some games, but it's borderline and 30hz on the desktop is pure 100% eye-aids whenever anything is in motion. It makes a plenty powerful machine feel choppy and laggy even when it's not.

Yea, everyone's eyes are different in what they can perceive, but uhhhh 30 FPS is pretty bad and obvious even if you're generally not one to notice things like that.

I'm probably one of those odd people who can't see too much of a difference in 30 vs 60. I mean I can see the smoothness but coming from someone who currently is gaming at or around 20FPS, they both look amazing to me. There's a reason why I'm building a desktop.

For some anecdata, I remember first playing WoW with like 20 frames on my old machine and then upgrading and hitting 60 frames for the first time ever. It was magical. I would notice some slight hiccups when it started dropping to 30ish with later expansions but I've found 30 to be the threshold for a game feeling "good" and anything above being a premium. I'm not saying more frames aren't worth it, they absolutely are (and why I went for a b-stock 980 in my new machine).

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

So in a game like Witcher III you can read the dialogue text over people's heads while running past them? I might just have lovely eyes I guess. Higher refresh definitely helps me though.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates-text

At 60fps this is barely readable. At 120+fps it's trivial.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Skuto posted:

I usually scroll ~**then stop**~ when I get down and dirty at hardcore 60fps reading.

#lifehack

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I usually scroll ~**then stop**~ when I get down and dirty at hardcore 60fps reading.

#lifehack

Stopping and staring at NPCs in vidja games doesn't need to be necessary though. Or, for another example, in Path of Exile it's really quite nice to be able to run past a piece of loot laying on the ground and be able to see all of the sockets and count the links between them rather than having to stop and eyeball it for a second to make sure that's not actually a 5-link.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cephalocidal posted:

Stopping and staring at NPCs in vidja games doesn't need to be necessary though. Or, for another example, in Path of Exile it's really quite nice to be able to run past a piece of loot laying on the ground and be able to see all of the sockets and count the links between them rather than having to stop and eyeball it for a second to make sure that's not actually a 5-link.

Not to hijack the thread, but in the new PoE expansion they added loot filters so you can set good items to be highlighted in a very obvious way so it's impossible to miss them.

Also, if I've decided that I don't want to go through the hassle of RMA circus with the XB270HU and 144hz isn't all that important but I do want IPS, is the PB278Q a good monitor?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ambaire posted:

Not to hijack the thread, but in the new PoE expansion they added loot filters so you can set good items to be highlighted in a very obvious way so it's impossible to miss them.

Also, if I've decided that I don't want to go through the hassle of RMA circus with the XB270HU and 144hz isn't all that important but I do want IPS, is the PB278Q a good monitor?

Here's an in-depth review of the PB278Q: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_pb278q.htm

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Ambaire posted:

If cost is a concern the Qnix 2710 is a 2560x1440 IPS using a $600 retail Samsung panel for $200-300, which can also be overclocked all the way to 100hz because it's so basic internally(120hz if you gently caress with timing). It's a Korean panel with a lovely stand but for $220 it's loving unbeatable considering you can buy 2 or even 3 for the cost of anything comparable.

EDIT: Its $199 on Newegg right now from the common distributor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 11, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Mazz posted:

If cost is a concern the Qnix 2710 is a 2560x1440 IPS using a $600 retail Samsung panel for $200-300, which can also be overclocked all the way to 100hz because it's so basic internally(120hz if you gently caress with timing). It's a Korean panel with a lovely stand but for $220 it's loving unbeatable considering you can buy 2 or even 3 for the cost of anything comparable.

EDIT: Its $199 on Newegg right now from the common distributor.

FYI - The $199 version is the off-grade monitor which means that you're playing screen roulette. You can look at the comments on Newegg for good examples of what to expect.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Krailor posted:

FYI - The $199 version is the off-grade monitor which means that you're playing screen roulette. You can look at the comments on Newegg for good examples of what to expect.

I know, I own one. It's amazing. The screen defects are literally not visible under 99% of viewing conditions, as they are two small discoloration only visible on a full black screen and even then they mostly transparent.

For $200 it was a steal and me and several other goons all had good luck. The thing is you could fully buy 2 for the cost of that Acer and have 2 screens or pick the better one and sell the other for like $150 on Ebay.

I cannot say there is no risk, of course there is. But at $200 I will definitely say I'm pretty tempted to buy a second one after my experience with the first.

It comes down to warranty vs cost. If you really want a solid warranty and all that then it's probably not what you want. If you like saving potentially $200 over similar products AND getting a superior product in regards to refresh rate then it should be very intriguing.

EDIT: VVVV AFAIK The other panels don't have any real guarantees on better panel quality, you just get the warranty attached for screen stuff. You still have to try and process it with a company fully in Korea with no US presence. For 240 it's worth a shot, normally they are like 280 which defeats the purpose of the savings IMO.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 11, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
For $235 there is this. I have no idea of the quality of it though.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have one of the Korean special 2ks. It's awesome, and the only issue is the stand which is very wobbly. Mine has vesa compatibility so I ordered a desk mount for it. Other than that it's awesome.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Looks like Amazon won't have stock until October 5 - November 5. Who had the second best return policy? Amazon 3rd party or newegg?

Contacted them via chat, one rep said I can only request a replacement if it has 8 or more dead pixels and they will do an rma. Asked another and they said they will replace it for any reason with 30 days for no charge???

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 11, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mazz posted:

The other downside is it's DVI-DL only, which substantially limits how many of them you can actually run. I think there's one or two 980/980Ti variants right now with 2x DVI ports. AMD seems hell-bent on eliminating them entirely. Hopefully there'll be an update to the QNix at some point to replace it with DP or something.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ambaire posted:

You're just as likely to get caught in RMA roulette with the PG278Q, with Asus' lovely RMA service to boot. Also, don't buy it anyway. It is a TN screen so at 27" it will always look off colour at the edges of the screen even looking straight on, and it is inferior in pretty much every way to the XB270HU.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BurritoJustice posted:

You're just as likely to get caught in RMA roulette with the PG278Q, with Asus' lovely RMA service to boot. Also, don't buy it anyway. It is a TN screen so at 27" it will always look off colour at the edges of the screen even looking straight on, and it is inferior in pretty much every way to the XB270HU.

I think you are confused, they are talking about the PB278Q, which is a 60Hz IPS monitor.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think you are confused, they are talking about the PB278Q, which is a 60Hz IPS monitor.

You're totally right. Seeing 278Q alongside the XB270HU makes me instantly think RoG Swift.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

BurritoJustice posted:

Even if it was TN, TN is all that I've gamed with for the past 12 years, since I replaced my old 19" CRT with a birthday LCD. While I was at BB getting the bad mouse, I did take a look at the 23" IPS 1080p monitors they had and they looked loving amazing. Definitely going with an IPS 1440p monitor probably just 60hz but I just have to figure out which one I want and stick with it. HU is out because of RMA bullshit.

I've spent at least 6 hours today going through review site after review site and I'm no closer to a final decision than I was three weeks ago. I have managed to narrow it down to this pcpartpicker selection but that still leaves me to decide among the Asus PB278Q, BenQ GW2765HT, Dell U2715H, or Asus MX27AQ. I also found this site that has a list of what they consider to be the best 27" 1440p monitors, which has the Asus MG279Q and the LG 27MB85R vying for top spots.

Ugh. Why does it have to be this difficult. And when I think I finally have one down, was thinking about the BenQ GW2765HT, I find out from the tft central site that it has 1-2 frame input lag.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Even if it was TN, TN is all that I've gamed with for the past 12 years, since I replaced my old 19" CRT with a birthday LCD. While I was at BB getting the bad mouse, I did take a look at the 23" IPS 1080p monitors they had and they looked loving amazing. Definitely going with an IPS 1440p monitor probably just 60hz but I just have to figure out which one I want and stick with it. HU is out because of RMA bullshit.

I've spent at least 6 hours today going through review site after review site and I'm no closer to a final decision than I was three weeks ago. I have managed to narrow it down to this pcpartpicker selection but that still leaves me to decide among the Asus PB278Q, BenQ GW2765HT, Dell U2715H, or Asus MX27AQ. I also found this site that has a list of what they consider to be the best 27" 1440p monitors, which has the Asus MG279Q and the LG 27MB85R vying for top spots.

Ugh. Why does it have to be this difficult. And when I think I finally have one down, was thinking about the BenQ GW2765HT, I find out from the tft central site that it has 1-2 frame input lag.

Of those the Dell U2715H has the lowest input lag, with the ASUS PB278Q coming in second, the U2715H also has a flicker free backlight so it's easier on the eyes during extended use. If you can afford it I'd go with the Dell, it's the best overall and also comes with Dell's warranty service which is some of the best in the industry.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Skuto posted:

Hey, this i docates that my ipad air is 30Hz and I've never had problem with it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

KingEup posted:

Hey, this i docates that my ipad air is 30Hz and I've never had problem with it.

Your browser you're using on your iPad is likely just limited to 30Hz, if you whole interface was 30fps it would feel pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looking to upgrade a 6-year-old 24" 16:10 TN monitor, connected up to a KVM switch via DVI. Used only for boring work stuff, and photos on the Mac. Zero gaming.

The landscape has gotten pretty complex since I last looked. It seems like my options are:

A 24" 16:9, but I would actually lose screen space so that's not really an option.
A 24" 16:9 4k, which would look pretty (on the Mac side at least) but probably need me to upgrade my computers and KVM switch.
A 24" 16:10 IPS monitor with tiny bezels for $300, like the Dell U2415. I'm leaning toward this.
A 25" 16:10, but that would just make the pixels a little bigger.
A 25" 21:9 ultrawide, probably has smaller pixels and is shorter, and full-screen mode gets awkward. Nice for movies?
A 27" 1440p, but I'm not sure how much space I would really gain, nice panels are quite expensive, and I would probably need to change my cabling from DVI.

Am I missing any contenders here?