Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

IIRC the Elin are all in the game files as popori_f

Originally, elin are female popori, but someone decided to change them into another race, rather than have fat raccoons loving pre-teens for some reason. :confused:

And no, the designs were as they are now. Just the lore changed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Niton posted:

I don't have WoW's statistics available, but let me back you up on that for FFXIV:

This is as of the 21st, so 2 weeks and some change ago. Even being very liberal with active sub numbers, there's no way that's lower than 20%. Do note that this number is cleared rather than entered, as the picture says.

Not to stir poo poo up, but S-E released an updated version of those numbers today, accurate to September 6th:

While the last two hardcore raids are still stupidly hardcore, the growth numbers for the regular raid & Savage 1/2 both look pretty nice. It's kind of surprising how many people are clearing regular Alexander for the first time, but the Savage A1 numbers represent about 3,000 more raid groups, which is a lot larger than I expected.

Niton fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 9, 2015

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Lalafell need to be exterminated

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Space Bat posted:

Lalafell need to be exterminated

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Good

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

XIV race choice is the worst. Humans with different anime ears. As much as I don't like lalafell, they add some sorely needed variety.
e: actually, they are also humans with anime ears
e: I want to be a moogle

Shy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 9, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Plus the screenshots don't show how vastly different they are animation wise, particularly when they're running. If Tauren still had plains running maybe...

pretty much. i still think it's hilarious they spent hundreds if not thousands of man hours and resources updating models but ultimately all they did is re-skin the skeletons so animations are still wonky and dated and you don't really notice anything... aside from the shock that your character maybe moves their legs slightly different in a surprisingly ugly and noticeable way. it reminds me of like, an n64 emulator running hd textures in ocarina of time vs the actual remake they did on 3ds where they did more than just dump in hd texture files, and actually updated models, animations, etc.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They made pretty much every horde character 100% bouncier though, which irritated the gently caress out of me

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pretty sure they did new animations for the new models, but they were terrified that people would hate change so they just replicated the old animations instead of making wholly new ones

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Pretty sure they did new animations for the new models, but they were terrified that people would hate change so they just replicated the old animations instead of making wholly new ones

That's exactly what they did. I think they even said as much: they assured people ahead of time they weren't going to actually change the animations, just make them more fluid. (And bouncier.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Which annoyed me because I know some races (like Tauren) have one casting animation when most have two, and I was hoping they'd finally add that.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Mizuti posted:

Not really. They're both bulky beast races with horns inspired by minotaur, and from there they diverge a lot. Tauren are hippie Native Americans living in teepees, while the charr are a ruthless mashup of the Roman legions/Mongolian army with industrial age tech.

Holy god, World of Warcraft has aged badly.

Maybe I should give Guild Wars 2 another shot.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Thursday Next posted:

Holy god, World of Warcraft has aged badly.

Granted, the armor sets modeled on the tauren are from the classic game, so the textures are ancient. (I wanted basic armor with a little color and those fit the bill.) Unless you meant the 2.0 tauren models themselves.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Harrow posted:

That's exactly what they did. I think they even said as much: they assured people ahead of time they weren't going to actually change the animations, just make them more fluid. (And bouncier.)

change scares me, screamed the adult baby while making GBS threads his pants

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RottenK posted:

change scares me, screamed the adult baby while making GBS threads his pants

Some people identify to a pretty frightening degree with their characters. It's extra weird in WoW because it's not like there are a lot of customization options. Someone's ~unique character~ probably looks identical to several thousand other characters of the same race.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
a whole community of franbunnies, lol

teeth

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
did anyone just had a sudden urge to brush their teeth just now?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
drat it, rottenk, don't dredge my nightmares back up.

People flipped out the most about the new Draenei female faces and Blizzard's solution was to go back and trace back over the old ones and call it a day.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Minrad posted:

pretty much. i still think it's hilarious they spent hundreds if not thousands of man hours and resources updating models but ultimately all they did is re-skin the skeletons so animations are still wonky and dated and you don't really notice anything... aside from the shock that your character maybe moves their legs slightly different in a surprisingly ugly and noticeable way. it reminds me of like, an n64 emulator running hd textures in ocarina of time vs the actual remake they did on 3ds where they did more than just dump in hd texture files, and actually updated models, animations, etc.

I know goons look down on this race, but the asura have some great combat animations, Like running with a greatsword of hammer. it really gives this feeling that the race is small.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
asura are neat but suffer from the problem of not being able to see your gear well in a game where playing pretty princess is the whole point

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RottenK posted:

asura are neat but suffer from the problem of not being able to see your gear well in a game where playing pretty princess is the whole point

they do however benefit from having very exact looking hitboxes in a game with a bunch of jumping puzzles

doing the halloween jumping event on a norn made me legit Mad At Video Games very quickly. i cleared it within minutes of getting on an asura

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't know if it's still there since the destruction and rebuilding but that one jumping puzzle in Lion's Arch. You know the one. The really cramped cave that you had to jump down a well to get to?

Have fun trying to do that on anything but an asura.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Anoia posted:

People flipped out the most about the new Draenei female faces and Blizzard's solution was to go back and trace back over the old ones and call it a day.

Wasn't that an April fools joke when they had those really horrid faces? this?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
they should've tracked who freaked out the most about that april fools and apply the new faces only to their accounts

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Shy posted:

Wasn't that an April fools joke when they had those really horrid faces? this?

No, they actually quietly did a mini update to make slight changes to the human, draenei, gnome and dwarf female faces based on complaints.

Human females had crazy eyes, gnomes had huge bags under their eyes, and I didn't really see a problem with dwarves or dranei but they were "too fat" (uhh....) and "TOTALLY RUINED" respectively

I think it was the same patch that finally updated the blood elf models after everything else so the rest was mostly overlooked unless you intentionally look for what people are screaming about

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Niton posted:

Not to stir poo poo up, but S-E released an updated version of those numbers today, accurate to September 6th:

While the last two hardcore raids are still stupidly hardcore, the growth numbers for the regular raid & Savage 1/2 both look pretty nice. It's kind of surprising how many people are clearing regular Alexander for the first time, but the Savage A1 numbers represent about 3,000 more raid groups, which is a lot larger than I expected.

If there was actually something to do in ff14 other than raiding.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mantees posted:

The other problem with WOW is that any PvE content before (max-10) level has been extremely trivialized. So even if you have participated to quite a lot of dungeons before high level content, you still don't know what you are supposed to do in a group

This isn't true. Difficulty in WoW is often characterized in two scales: numerical difficulty (do we have enough healing/dps to kill the boss before it kills us) and execution (where players are required to perform a specific mechanic under specific constraints, like stopping a monster from casting a spell that kills the raid.) WoW base difficulty level changes with each expansion, so there's still dungeons and specific encounters that are tightly tuned for levelling groups. Ones with high execution mechanics can be very difficult for levelling groups. Corla in Blackrock Caverns (at normal a level 81 instance, so two expansions ago and 20 levels short of the current cap) has a high execution requirement: three players need to dance in and out of beams to avoid empowering monsters. If the beam empowers a monster, it can destroy the party in seconds. Even as early as the second dungeon of the first expansion (Blood Furnace) there are groups that can destroy a completely-geared party very easily if not handled.

Additionally, the latest patch introduced a subset of older dungeons with Timewalking settings. Timewalking dungeons scale gear and difficulty to a set level, and are tuned to be as difficult as they were at their original release. These are accessible at either level 71 or 81, and require good play to complete. (A tank who isn't rolling personal abilities on trash will get destroyed, for example.)

WoW's grouping difficulty is basically very easy free for all until the end of the original game's dungeons at 56, then tapers towards needing actual play capabilities over the next few expansions. When you get to Cataclysm content like Blackrock Caverns above, everyone is expected to know their job and perform it competently. (It's notable that the current spread of abilities the game gives you matches this. A lot of classes don't actually get personal cooldowns or buffs to apply to party members until the first expansion now.)

Holyshoot posted:

Can't say I have seen any recent WoW end bosses where guilds just ignore a mechanic to get it done.

A common strategy on the current end boss (Archimonde in Hellfire Citadel) is to sacrifice a group of players to a mechanic called Nether Banish at the very end of the fight. It's a numbers situation - you can't ignore the preceding Nether Banishes, but by sacrificing a small group, you have more players available to actually attack the boss during the last, craziest part.

Niton posted:

WoW has a way higher % of raiders than any other game will ever realistically have because there is nothing else left in WoW. WoW has been devoid of any sort of interesting non-raid content for the better part of a decade at this point - since Zul'aman's release in 2007, there have been only a handful of non-box content patches that offered anything other than MAX SIZE RAIDING, and they're almost all among the game's weakest. The game stagnates horribly between boxed expansions, often going a year or more without anything being added for people who don't like the idea of raiding. There are people who log on and don't raid, but they make up less than a third of the playerbase and, to be honest, I have absolutely no idea what they do.

This is completely wrong and I have no idea where you got this from. There have been tons of patches since Burning Crusade that introduced interesting content other than raiding. Hell, the last expansion, Mists of Pandaria, had the most non-raiding content ever, and pushed it in patches without raids (5.1 and 5.3 had no raids associated with them, and introduced the Landfall and Battlefield Barrens events respectively, in addition to other casual content.)

In WoW, raiding as an activity and stuff that happens in raids are considered two different concepts. Raiding is the organized form of play in groups (I raid with Cognitive Dissonance, a guild group, on Tuesday and Wednesday nights for example.) Patch 4.3, which introduced the Dragon Soul raid, also introduced two casual play modes that take place in raids: Looking For Raid difficulty and transmogrification. Looking For Raid (LFR) can be done at any time, and does not require organization - you simply press a button and wait and the system puts together a group for you. Transmogrification, allowing players to change the appearances of their gear, is a major driver for people to explore older raids solo or in small groups, but is not actual raiding again. Oh, and it introduced three new five-man dungeons and a revamped Darkmoon Faire event.

The current expansion (Warlords of Draenor) is criticized for not having anything to do outside of raiding. It actually has a fair amount to do, but what's there is very shallow or grindy, likely due to development problems. For example, the Tanaan Jungle casual content in the current patch was actually planned to be in at the expansion's release, but was pushed back. It's not great content, but the expansion would have been much stronger had it been in at release, and new content added with patches. (Blizzard made a big play for two forms of casual content with garrisons and Ashran and neither really worked out, again due to development issues.) It's not uncommon for the end of an expansion (where the game is now) to have a content drought, but players usually take this time to return to content they have wanted to complete in prior expansions or auxiliary tasks (completing complicated achievements or levelling other characters, for example.) Unfortunately, Warlords added so little captivating new content, and people have already completed most of the past content they wanted to catch up on, so a lot of players are feeling they have nothing to do but raid at this point. That's a very different meaning than what you said, however.

An oddity about WoW is that casual players actually play the game far more than raiders do. Raiding is a structured activity that takes a scheduled number of hours per week; raiding players often log on to raid and log off right after. Casual players are often doing a more diverse selection of tasks and repeating those across multiple characters: they're playing the game every night as their major leisure activity.

Also, I don't know what your fixation on MAX-SIZE RAIDING is for. "Max-Size" has been a useless term since the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, which in response to the popularity of smaller raids like Karazhan and Zul'Aman (10 players, instead of the common 25 player size) offered small and large sizes for every raid since. The flexible raid difficulty in Mists of Pandaria's last patch (and continued into this expansion) allowed raid groups to take the entire group of people they had online, scaling smoothly instead of necessitating the arbitrary numbers of 10 or 25. ZA was an actual raid, not whatever you're making it out to be, but since then actual raiding has been far more accessible at several times: the easy entry raid Naxxramas in Wrath, the scaling modifiers applied to Icecrown Citadel in Wrath and Dragon Soul in Cataclysm, and the flexible difficulty in Siege of Orgrimmar. That doesn't include LFR, because it's not an actual raiding experience (and people who just do LFR don't refer to themselves as raiders.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will second that wow actually has too much to do. I quit in MoP because there was too much to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cyron posted:

I know goons look down on this race, but the asura have some great combat animations, Like running with a greatsword of hammer. it really gives this feeling that the race is small.

Asura are great specifically because of their animations and voice acting. The asura player character voices are consistently the best, both at story lines and various battle shouts.

I usually don't like playing as the "small race" in a game but I just had to make my Necromancer an asura.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cyron posted:

How could you forget the iconic pole dance twirl on certain staff abilities? It's the absolute best animation in the game.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Do the chua in Wildstar have any good voice acting or animations, or are they just a dud across the board?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Mizuti posted:

Do the chua in Wildstar have any good voice acting or animations, or are they just a dud across the board?

The voice acting is just bad from what i remember but there is little to work with, since the chua charater is just the "for SCIENCE! !!" Meme.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

The Asura look like ET with cat ears IE must be destroyed

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

you think there will ever be a mmo without an ugly or annoying midget race?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

Animations aren't too bad, but most of the NPCs have the same handful of voice actors, so you get a lot of repeated lines.

Also I found out they added a content finder recently, so if you don't know where the gently caress you're supposed to go you can click it and it'll suggest dungeons, PvP instances, and quest hubs for you. Kinda like WoW's thing they added.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

quote:

For example, the Tanaan Jungle casual content in the current patch was actually planned to be in at the expansion's release

I'm not sure why this rumor persists, at this point. There was perhaps a point very early in development where Tanaan was intended as launch content, but its current form most definitely was never intended to be available at launch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Anoia posted:

drat it, rottenk, don't dredge my nightmares back up.

Weren't the original female Draenei faces just the blood elf ones but blue?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

GUYS!!!! They are over 1,000 years old so it's ok!! Right?!!? :pedo:

Not that it makes it much better, but Elin are apparently the race of choice for women who play TERA.

Anoia posted:

The reaction to the april fool's day joke were they were cross eyed and buck toothed was amazing, though.

Truga posted:

Originally, elin are female popori, but someone decided to change them into another race, rather than have fat raccoons loving pre-teens for some reason. :confused:

And no, the designs were as they are now. Just the lore changed :v:

I thought Elin were popped into existence by god or something

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 10, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Anatharon posted:

Not that it makes it much better, but Elin are apparently the race of choice for women who play TERA.

Yes. Both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Morglon posted:

Yes. Both of them.

I haven't done extensive research or anything but I was somewhat curious why so many asian mmos had a pedo race option, because I guess I'm not as much of a cynic as I should be. :v:

Anyways, the yarn goes that pedo money pales in comparison to the girlfriend market, which rakes in more cash shop dressup bucks. That's why they tend to get associated with the easiest to play class.

• Locked thread