Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Did you gain anything from this? I have a buttload of extra wattage and I've bios flashed plenty in the past but haven't really looked into this gen much

I apparently rolled pretty badly on the silicon loterry, because my drivers start crashing below 1300mhz without upping the voltage, so I was very limited by the 275W max reference power limit (250W+10% slider thingy).

With a stock bios I started hitting the power limit at around 1400mhz in games. With a bios modded for 1.28V and 423W (350W+21%) I hit fairly stable 1600MHz. Sometimes it goes down to ~1550 because it starts hitting the power limit again in dumb things like 3dmark, but not in any games I tried yet, so I'm pretty happy with the final result.

I'm running it at 1300MHz and 1.2V now because no games I play warrant more than that (I was getting <60fps dips at stock clocks), but when the thing is 2 years old and I start wanting more performance, it'll be nice to know I have at least 200MHz of headroom left :v:

Don Lapre posted:

One of the top threads on /r/AMD is someone saying how happy they are their cpu is stable at stock speeds

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3k4ukt/x_post_from_rpcmasterrace_its_stable_9590_fx/
:psyduck:
Guy should've RMA'd it right away. I know prime95 isn't a typical load, but a chip at stock speeds should be able to run at 100% load with a stock cooler for a week and not even blink.

vvvv: Yikes.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Truga posted:

I apparently rolled pretty badly on the silicon loterry, because my drivers start crashing below 1300mhz without upping the voltage, so I was very limited by the 275W max reference power limit (250W+10% slider thingy).

With a stock bios I started hitting the power limit at around 1400mhz in games. With a bios modded for 1.28V and 423W (350W+21%) I hit fairly stable 1600MHz. Sometimes it goes down to ~1550 because it starts hitting the power limit again in dumb things like 3dmark, but not in any games I tried yet, so I'm pretty happy with the final result.

I'm running it at 1300MHz and 1.2V now because no games I play warrant more than that (I was getting <60fps dips at stock clocks), but when the thing is 2 years old and I start wanting more performance, it'll be nice to know I have at least 200MHz of headroom left :v:

:psyduck:
Guy should've RMA'd it right away. I know prime95 isn't a typical load, but a chip at stock speeds should be able to run at 100% load with a stock cooler for a week and not even blink.

The 9590 is total poo poo. It was originally OEM only because it can literally destroy your motherboard because of its power draw. And i mean only sold to big oems, not sold on amazon and newegg as an oem one.

You can buy it standalone now or with a water cooler.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

The 9590 is total poo poo. It was originally OEM only because it can literally destroy your motherboard because of its power draw. And i mean only sold to big oems, not sold on amazon and newegg as an oem one.

You can buy it standalone now or with a water cooler.
Fun fact, in Anandtech's testing all but the higher-end overclocking-focused AMD APU motherboards powered off or restarted under load. It doesn't happen with all CPU samples, but the normal variation for even normal production AMD CPUs exceeds the design power for AMD motherboards.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AMD graphics leadership shakeups

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:supaburn: I guess something was bound to happen after this previous year

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Was the graphics division ran like blackberry before? Dual leaders?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don Lapre posted:

Was the graphics division ran like blackberry before? Dual leaders?

Looks like parts reporting to five or so different people.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That new lead guy is smart af, I hope can get AMD back on track!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

That new lead guy is smart af, I hope can get AMD back on track!

Smart, and a silver fox. drat, some guys just get all the breaks...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dang sometimes Im real envious of how some men can keep a giant head of hair that's gone all white.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And he's rockin a nice 'stache (hell he worked at Apple too :v:)

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
B-stock gtx's available again.

Get em while they're hot.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Moving everything to a new case and when I ran leak testing I found a leak! Let's hope poo poo still works when it dries out. :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Going back a bit: Is 4.7 GHz from an AMD processor supposed to be impressive? I could have sworn they were still stock ridiculous clocks that didn't make them any better than they would be at a lower, saner clock.

Getting 4.7 stable on my i7-3820 looks like it'd be pretty easy on AIO liquid for fucks sakes. Pretty sure it'd beat the poo poo out of a 9590 too. Maybe next year when this thing reaches its fourth year alive I'll see if I can pull 4.7 off to stall an upgrade a bit longer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kazinsal posted:

Going back a bit: Is 4.7 GHz from an AMD processor supposed to be impressive? I could have sworn they were still stock ridiculous clocks that didn't make them any better than they would be at a lower, saner clock.

Getting 4.7 stable on my i7-3820 looks like it'd be pretty easy on AIO liquid for fucks sakes. Pretty sure it'd beat the poo poo out of a 9590 too. Maybe next year when this thing reaches its fourth year alive I'll see if I can pull 4.7 off to stall an upgrade a bit longer.

That 4.7 base, 5GHz turbo AMD chip is broadly comparable to a stock clock i5-4690 at multithreaded things and slower than a Core i3 at single threaded things.

Edit: Someone tell me I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure AMD never hit clock parity with Core 2? I know that Phenom IIs were slower at the same clock vs Core 2 Quads, and Bulldozer was a step backwards, right? So AMD has never produced anything as good per cycle on one thread as a Core 2 Duo?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 10, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

That 4.7 base, 5GHz turbo AMD chip is broadly comparable to a stock clock i5-4690 at multithreaded things and slower than a Core i3 at single threaded things.

Christ, AMD. I thought the whole "ha ha AMD can't make a decent CPU to save their lives" thing was kind of like a dark joke with a slightly painful undertone of hard truth, but not that deeply.

What kind of time should I let Prime95 stress test to check the max insane load temps of an OC? One hour?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

Christ, AMD. I thought the whole "ha ha AMD can't make a decent CPU to save their lives" thing was kind of like a dark joke with a slightly painful undertone of hard truth, but not that deeply.

What kind of time should I let Prime95 stress test to check the max insane load temps of an OC? One hour?

Just doing cpu? You will probably hit max temps in 10-15 minutes if not sooner. If your case is well ventilated, probably much faster as the air around the cpu wont change that much.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Newegg I am somewhat suspicious of your claims. Mostly because I've been running happily on 450W for a while now :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

Newegg I am somewhat suspicious of your claims. Mostly because I've been running happily on 450W for a while now :v:

Its because 90% of the people are going to buy

Same reason gpu manufacturers give similar specs

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Panty Saluter posted:

Haha, yeah my system draws 275W at the absolute max from the wall and it is an OC'ed 970 AND i7-4790k to 4.7G. 500W would be perfect to take advantage of the efficiency maxima at 50% load.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

This is my favorite thing, when they put exactly the opposite of the truth on the front.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Don Lapre posted:

What the gently caress is a band width regulator and what does it have to do with power delivery.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What the gently caress is a band width regulator and what does it have to do with power delivery.

Well you can't have your bands changing their width of their own accord. Best to regulate them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324

See, this "500w" wouldn't even power your system.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 10, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Can't argue with that. :ms:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Don Lapre posted:

Holy crap, the "we're trying to steal the Seasonic X-series imagery" is palpable.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Don Lapre posted:

Holy crap that POS PSU is $177!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5752CF4146

:eyepop:

Post the riciest PSUs you got

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ricer video cards, manah. GTX 660

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Is that a video card or a spaceship? Legit can't tell.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SlayVus posted:

Ricer video cards, manah. GTX 660

:perfect:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Post the riciest PSUs you got

I raise you the watercooled PSU :v:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
What could go wrong.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
http://anandtech.com/show/9621/the-amd-radeon-r9-nano-review

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I guess "Fair Reviews" means no actual frame time numbers. :thumbsup:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Guru3D did FCAT tests: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_nano_review,1.html

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Stanley Pain posted:

That's the biggest downside of AT reviews. On the other side the technical discussion is usually top notch.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The performance of a 980, the power draw of a 980, the price of a 980ti. Absolutely no over clocking headroom even with Max power limit. I'm willing to bet a 1500Mhz 970 mini would be faster for half the price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Plus that's just straight-up not enough fan for 250 watts at load, it is going to be loving loud.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well those FCAT numbers look pretty good. Really, REALLY unfortunate about the price though. If it was about $100 less it would be a very competitive card.

Wonder what would happen if you slapped a AIO cooler on a NANO :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Slower than a fury but more expensive.

I guess if you really want AMD and have one of the few SFX cases that wont fit a nvidia reference cooler or 120mm rad

Ohh wow, down to 832mhz in Farcry 4