Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Liquid Communism posted:

Just got an email from a camp I worked with a while back, apparently the Playa has a serious mosquito problem this year!

Let's see who prepared for -that-! :getin:

Pic attached.

See here: http://blog.burningman.com/2015/08/building-brc/bustin-dunes-and-swattin-bugs/

quote:

And there’s another effect of the unseasonable wetness: Bugs. There are lots of bugs around, including mosquitoes. You couldn’t stand outside in Gerlach as the sun went down without getting bitten to death. We’re not sure yet how bad it will be out on the playa, but be smart and pack some lavender oil or bug spray or whatever you use.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
More like

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
If anyone would be interested in helping out a burner with an art project It is The Ministry of the Butterfly

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Huh.

quote:

Burning Man festival hit with horrifying infestation as CEO considers moving event to Utah

Organizers of the Burning Man festival confirmed that the Nevada-based event has some uninvited guests this year — a massive mosquito infestation, Business Insider reported.

“What’s going on? We don’t know. We don’t know how the little critters survive in the heat and the sun,” John Curley wrote in the festival blog. “All we know is that if you pick up some wood, you’re likely to uncover hundreds or thousands of the things. They’ve blown up inches deep against the sides of the Commissary tent. They’ve covered the carpets at the Depot. They’re all over the Man Base. So it’s not a localized occurrence, it’s everywhere.”

KNTV-TV identified the bugs as mosquitos, adding that organizers are determining whether they pose a health threat to festival goers

As the event grapples with the plague, music site Less Than 3 reported that, according to CEO Marian Goodell, she is looking “longingly” toward perhaps moving the event to Utah, citing a 9 percent entertainment tax levied against Burning Man under Nevada law.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

They are considering moving to Utah because of the 9% entertainment tax, not because of the bugs.

Also the bugs will probably be dead but you should prepare and bring afterbite, anti bug spray, and an epipen if you hAve ever been severely allergic to bugs

Burning Man 2015: Carnival of Bugs

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Maybe the bugs will keep the rich people out! That on top of the dust, the hot of day and cold of night, the winds... BRC is not a friendly environment, that's kind of the point :)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

mitztronic posted:

They are considering moving to Utah because of the 9% entertainment tax, not because of the bugs.

Yeah but I was surprised (I shouldnt be).

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I always wanted to visit the salt flats

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

mitztronic posted:

Also the bugs will probably be dead but you should prepare and bring afterbite, anti bug spray, and an epipen if you hAve ever been severely allergic to bugs

Burning Man 2015: Carnival of Bugs

I really want the bugs to be dead when we get there, but I haven't seen anybody say that yet. Where did you hear that?

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

FRINGE posted:

Yeah but I was surprised (I shouldnt be).

This is just posturing. EDC and Burning Man bring in way too much money for a state like Nevada to gently caress themselves over by losing those events.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Ya'll should come check out our camp on Monday, 6:00-8:15. I have lots of goons in my camp, and there will be sick beats and badass fire performances at sunset (7:45). I can't host an official goonmeat because I will be performing and having my bachelor party afterwards, but if you come by you will be welcome with open goony arms.

White version for printing: http://imgur.com/a/kVpp4

e:corrected image

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 25, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Get all those triphop and downtempo hours up on soundcloud for the poor beleaguered job-havers. :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If anyone is down for some ambient soundscapes, a buddy Jason Burruss is playing a sunrise set everyday of BM. You are free to stop by in the morning to check it out.

"Previous years at Burning Man I set an intention to give back to the community before going into the playa. Witnessing the manifestation of this dream was absolutely beautiful. Therefore I am setting an intention again this year, and looking forward to seeing it beautifully create my experience. My intention and art that I am bringing to Burning Man is entitled "The Seven Songs".

The Seven Songs will be seven carefully chosen mixes that I perform at sunset every day for my camp, Camp Crippy at 3:15 and E.
These seven auditory dreams will be chosen to articulate our waking life. As we travel through this dream we experience levels of physical, mental, and spiritual ascension into a state of consciousness. I will create 7 sonic tapestries to define these levels, and I will channel the intention of these auditory dreamscapes into writing to pair with the mixes."

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
That sounds pretty cool.. I'll write it down in my notebook, although I'm not sure if I'll make it on a one mile journey before the sun is up

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I always wanted to visit the salt flats

Clearly BRC isn't inhospitable enough. Need to move someplace even less comfortable.

RACHET posted:

This is just posturing. EDC and Burning Man bring in way too much money for a state like Nevada to gently caress themselves over by losing those events.

Tell that to the BLM, or the attempts by Washoe County to wring more money out of the Org.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Clearly BRC isn't inhospitable enough. Need to move someplace even less comfortable.

You've heard of the Afrikaburn franchise right ?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

gadgethugs posted:

You've heard of the Afrikaburn franchise right ?
Time for Somalia PirateBurn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDv4sYwjO0

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Updated schedule for some cool sets

Camp Crippy - 3:15 and Ersatz
Sunset - 7:30-9:00 PM Every Night

The Spectrum Series
Monday - World Dub (Red Mix)
Tuesday - Deep Dub and Garage (Orange Mix)
Wednesday - Chill Future Trap (Yellow Mix)
Thursday - Future RnB (Green Mix)
Friday - Future Hip Hop (Blue Mix)
Saturday - Psy-Bass (Indigo Mix)
Sunday - Psy-Ambient and Ambient Garage (Purple Mix)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

This year wasn't the usual "hot and dusty", it was more cold and dusty. I think a whole bunch of people (probably Southern Californians :rolleyes: ) didn't prepare, and that's why Friday/Saturday night weren't as busy as usual burn nights.
Anyway, back from the dust after a smoooooooth Exodus: left at 11am, and was on pavement by noon. From there, slow but smooth sailing, and made it to Reno in 3.5 hours from camp. Oh yeah.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Out of five years on Playa, I'd solidly rank this one as 4th best.

2014 > 2012 > 2011 > 2015 > 2013, for me.

Something was off this year, and I'm not sure what.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Kind of glad I wasn't able to make it this year then. I really don't like the amount of attention that the media keeps giving to this event because I fear it's drawing the "wrong crowd" in.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Hello friends,

I am helping start a small sound camp at a regional later this year, and could use some advice on how to determine power generation requirements. We're going to be running a projector mapped onto a structure with visuals to accompany our music. I imagine all together running the whole setup will draw a decent amount of power but I really don't know what math I should be doing to figure that out, and I guess nobody else involved in the camp does either, so any help would be very appreciated.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Hello friends,

I am helping start a small sound camp at a regional later this year, and could use some advice on how to determine power generation requirements. We're going to be running a projector mapped onto a structure with visuals to accompany our music. I imagine all together running the whole setup will draw a decent amount of power but I really don't know what math I should be doing to figure that out, and I guess nobody else involved in the camp does either, so any help would be very appreciated.

It's all about the wattage with audio. A smaller 2000-4000 watt generator should be sufficient for a few speakers on sticks or with a small amplifier and a projector plus some lights. I don't know how most portable generators divide up circuits but you don't want to be pulling more than like 15-20amps, per circuit, as well. The wattage will usually be more of a factor than amperage though.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Had the BLM rangers visit our camp three times this year. Two arrests and a medical intervention. Goddamn what a year.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I dunno, this year was strange. The weather, eh, harsh but you can't control it. But the portapotties seemed trashed and I wasn't terribly excited by a lot of stuff I saw on the Playa. The man burn was a lot more exciting than last year, that's for sure.

I still had fun, but I'm on board with the "something was off vibe"

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Which one of you fuckers did I see with the :russbus: license plate on the 447 today.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Your audio/visual equipment will have the max Watts they pull written on the back, usually near where the power cable plugs into the equipment. It'll look like "150W" or "150VA", it means the same thing (Watts = Volts x Amps). If it only gives Amps, then multiply that by 120 to get the Wattage. Total up your AV equipments' wattage, multiply by 1.25 to give you a safety overhead, and that's the minimum wattage you need on your generator.

The bigger and/or the quieter the genny, the more expensive. It's possible to daisy chain multiple low-wattage gennys together in parallel to increase the available wattage, but you'll need some custom wiring.

Finally, don't overlook the wattage rating on extension cords and power strips. The cheaper ones are not rated to withstand a very high wattage, so beware.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
There was a euro sparklepony invasion this year mooping all over the place

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Alfajor posted:

This year wasn't the usual "hot and dusty", it was more cold and dusty. I think a whole bunch of people (probably Southern Californians :rolleyes: ) didn't prepare, and that's why Friday/Saturday night weren't as busy as usual burn nights.

I did a double shift at gate on Friday and most of the people leaving were doing so precisely because it was too cold and dusty.

They all seemed so sad about it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
There were plug in play camps, there were sparkleponies...

but more importantly, there were best friends, there were new friends, there were magical journies; unforgettable moments, harsh storms, and difficult times.

It feels like just yesterday that I welcomed my friends to the Playa during a magical sunset. It feels like just yesterday that I married the love of my life, Lara. And it feels like it will be just tomorrow that I return home.

Trip Hop, Downtempo, Electronica, and a dash of Magic: https://www.mixcloud.com/mitztronic/secret-fire-welcome-set-burning-man-2015/

See you all soon )'(

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

RACHET posted:

There was a euro sparklepony invasion this year mooping all over the place

This was certainly happening. Certain camps like Robot Heart have become destination parties for rich and famous folks. If you look carefully around the crowd there, you'll see some ridiculous types of people there.

I liked the weather - it wasn't that. But I sure as hell did see a lot of people who were on their first year complain about it.

But I don't think the problem is virgins, either - virgins are great, and bring a ton of energy to BRC...

There were tons of darktards... a loving ridiculous amount. I'm not a costume cop or anything, but walking around completely not illuminated at night is a retard deathwish. The backroads were filled with parking lots rather than camps. The amount of turnkey camps was loving ridiculous this year - Cirque De Gitane, PlayaSkool, Dragonfly Den, to just name three off the top of my head that rubbed me the wrong way. Working at the airport gate, I got to meet tons of the exact wrong types of people who seem to be flooding the event. For some reason, every major media outlet seemed to do daily reports at Burning Man - and I knew this because cell phone reception was absolutely perfect this year and people were posting twitter updates and such - heard this from friends who arrived later in the week due to work. Tons of people ran around calling their friends and texting people to find out when the next "big party" was, rather than living in the moment. Someone chastised me for missing the "epic" Tycho sunrise set and then was surprised when I asked - who the gently caress is Tycho? I thought they were talking about the guy from Penny Arcade. More and more of the event appears to be catering to bro-chella douchebags who are looking to take instagram pictures and hit up the next big DJ set. I know of a few companies/groups that build art cars for plug and play camps... and their "style" was all over the playa this year. I counted at least twenty unique cars of theirs that were most likely rented for the week. Working Gate Actual, I met more than one delivery guy who had the sole job of driving in and dropping off some massive RV, only to fly out on a charter plane a few hours later, with a functioning EA pass from a theme camp and a ticket. I think about the burner who wanted to make a (funky art project/funny interactive thing) who could not get a ticket so one of these guys could deliver an RV.

The art? Awesome. Some of the people? Even better. Helping co-run a fantastic bar with a napping dome? gently caress yeah. Everything else? What the gently caress is happening to the event I fell in love with five years ago? I'm happy to see I'm not the only one feeling this way, as sad as it is. I've been involved in my region, helped bring art to the burn and regionals, do a poo poo-ton with GPE on and off playa and at regionals, but something was seriously loving broken with the 2015 Burning Man event.

Sorry to poo poo on the heads of any 1st/2nd years who came out and did it right and had a blast. I love you guys. I just hate the awful 10%ish of Burners who would be better served getting VIP at EDC or Coachella or Ultra or nearly any festival on Earth, and I wish that Burning Man hadn't become the weird mecca for these types of people to come and waste a ticket at.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
You did loving not just compare tycho to bros/edc/coachella. Is this some lovely attempt at a troll or are you a literal cave dweller?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ih1aKeETk yea breh talk about that 'chelladaisy style music right there

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 10, 2015

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkOlPGdOznI

??? He appears to be an artist playing at Coachella, point stands.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Cell phone reception? Pack it up boys, time to move to another remote location (and not tell anyone). Half the reason I loved Burning Man was because there was NO cell phone reception. Like OniKun said, I saw a lot of people not "living in the moment" last year when I went and it sounds like this year was even worse. So much for BMO cracking down on Turn-key and plug and play. Even in my limited experience, it's obvious that there is a serious breakdown of culture going on. I had a great time at a regional this year and it gave me a much greater sense of how things used to be.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OniKun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkOlPGdOznI

??? He appears to be an artist playing at Coachella, point stands.

That is not "brochella", this are some examples of "brochella": Swedish House Mafia, Dastik, SebastiAn, LA Riots, Kaskade, Miike Snow, David Guetta, Borgore, Girl Talk, Breakbot, Justice, Avicii, Calvin Harris, Nero, Dj Shadow,Fluxx Pavilion, Dada Life, Noisia, M83. If you can't tell the difference between these and Tycho then I'm sorry for your disability, but it doesn't make him "brochella"

Your point does not stand and you can gently caress off with it, seriously. The tycho sunsrise set was loving magical

edit: and get the gently caress over the following:
1) cellphone bullshit: Here's the number of people I saw on their phones this year for more than 10 seconds (i.e. the time to snap a photo): 0
2) plug n play camps: you're out of your loving mind if you think burning man hasn't always been rooted in Silicon Valley money. They've always been there, and they aren't going anywhere. Look back to where the event started for christ's sake.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 10, 2015

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Looked up Tycho, he played a headlining-ish time slot at the Mojave tent at Coachella this year. Still confused as to why you think he's some kind of underground artist?

How was your second year at Burning Man? You appear to know a lot about how the event runs. Tell me more.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OniKun posted:

Looked up Tycho, he played a headlining-ish time slot at the Mojave tent at Coachella this year. Still confused as to why you think he's some kind of underground artist?

Don't move your goalposts when I point out your bullshit. Don't change your definition to "underground". I never said he was underground. You never said he wasn't underground. What YOU said was he is "brochella". If you don't know what that term means, don't loving use it. Let me help you out here: "brochella" refers to mainstream EDM at Coachella, which is one of SEVEN stages at Coachella. Mojave is not a mainstream EDM stage.

FWIW, Burning Man isn't and has not been "underground" for a long time. This goes back to the "you living under a rock"

And take your ad hominen and gently caress off. Don't go back to burning man if you hate it so much. I could certainly deal with less of your type.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 10, 2015

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Christ you two stop bickering about edm bullshit.

While outside connectivity remains handy for all kinds of reasons, I completely agree about not living in the moment. Stop chasing the outside validation and just be while manifesting in the desert.

I'd say I am kinda biased because I accepted a new job while out on playa this year but I've always felt this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Grognan posted:

Had the BLM rangers visit our camp three times this year. Two arrests and a medical intervention. Goddamn what a year.
The rangers arrest people? That ... doesnt make sense?

• Locked thread