Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Oberleutnant posted:

How about we punish those responsible for exploiting and seriously jeapordising the lives and health of these teenagers through predatory manipulation? Just an idea.
Thats different isnt it, a corperation pushing drugs on children is not the same thing as an adult taking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fans posted:

Ain't no doping in E-sports. Just saying. They die of heart failure on entirely legal substances, mainly cheese based.

Actually didn't some big esports league just start testing for stimulants?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Not if you take away the incentive for doing it.
How is that accomplished?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Thats different isnt it, a corperation pushing drugs on children is not the same thing as an adult taking them.

But it's okay to push them on adults with the threat of losing their livelihood if they refuse....?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Fans posted:

Ain't no doping in E-sports. Just saying. They die of heart failure on entirely legal substances, mainly cheese based.

Actually, Adderall abuse is becoming a thing in e-sports at the moment...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Seaside Loafer posted:

[Duh da da da dada da, Duh da da da dada da, dada dada dada dah] [Duh da da da dada da, Duh da da da dada da, dada dada dada dah] [Duh da da da dada da, Duh da "Sorry all the lines are busy please gently caress off and suffer more :)"][Duh da da da dada da, Duh da da da dada da, dada dada dada dah] [Duh da da da dada da, Duh da da da dada da, dada dada dada dah] [Duh da da da dada da, Duh da "Sorry all the lines are busy please gently caress off and suffer more :)"][Duh da da da dada da, Duh da da da dada da, dada dada dada dah] [Duh da da da dada da, Duh da da da dada da, dada dada dada dah] [Duh da da da dada da, Duh da "Sorry all the lines are busy please gently caress off and suffer more :)"] :suicide:

I hated that poo poo, it cant be a terribly difficult technical problem to just play the radio or the whole of the album or something, still give me the shivers. Its like its specificly designed to make you more miserable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW0VYKtJisw

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

But it's okay to push them on adults with the threat of losing their livelihood if they refuse....?
Back to the 'better legal' argument

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Right so you have just acknowledged that loads of kids are doing it anyway so what is your solution?

The percentage of people doping at amateur and junior level is miniscule compared to your suggest of allowing all PED's. Once that dam is opened you go from a handful of cases of people dying from heart failure due to PED abuse a year to thousands.

The only real deterrent is lifetime bans for people caught, and more effectively funded independent organisations. National federations should never be expected to keep their own athletes clean, that just encourages corruption. Look at Russia and the States, and even us with Radcliffe back in 2000. 'Suspicious' test results swept under the rug.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a glitch posted:

Your relative may want to give this a look over, so he knows what to expect and what they'll be looking out for. I'd also strongly recommend that someone goes with him into the assessment - even if he doesn't need help a answering questions, the interviews are mentally draining and he'll be needing some emotional support before, during and after the interview. I sure as hell needed it when I was having trouble with anxiety a few years back, and I can't imagine things have got better.

Ta, chief. That does look useful, and I'll pass it on. The mobility section looks pretty hosed, though - lots of high-scoring things you might qualify for and a total lack of nuance for when your problem is lots of little things adding up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

How is that accomplished?

I described how in the post you just quoted.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Roids gently caress you up.

This is what excessive roiding does. As soon as you legalise this poo poo it's incredibly obvious what the multi-billion dollar sporting industry will start to openly demand of its athletes. The pressure to succeed, or even compete at all, will compel people (even more than currently) to annihilate their bodies and their long-term health for the sake of short term financial gain. At least right now the practice - by being banned - is kept on the DL enough that the most obvious physical impacts from horrendous overuse are delayed or mitigated.
Hey, Big Lenny is a fine figure of a man, what's your loving problem!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I hope fellow goons will join me in offering congratulations to Er Maj on this historic day :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Noxville posted:

If this were to happen nobody would watch the drug league because it would be seen as cheating and no sponsor would tough it so all the money would be in clean, then people would try and juice undetected to get a slice of the greater money in clean and we'd be exactly where we started.

Yeah nobody would watch something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJzJEb-Pz68

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

big tune

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fans posted:

Amphetamines. Various other (legal, prescription-only and illegal) stimulants. Various other medications improving focus or reaction times.

E-sports are full of doping.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I thought it turned out that guy that claimed he got a visit from the police after posting here about waterbombing the olypmic torch was actually posting the same poo poo on Twitter and Facebook?

We're probably not being watched. Most (all?) of us are white!

No, that was me and it was just off here as far as I can remember.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Jakabite posted:

No, that was me and it was just off here as far as I can remember.
You are an actual legend as opposed to that floppy haired oval office in london.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Seaside Loafer posted:

floppy haired oval office in london.
Doesn't narrow it down any.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So the EU is planning to resettle the 120,000 refugees that have made it to Europe, with economic EU powerhouse Spain set to take in 14,931 (in 3rd place after Germany with 31,443 and France with 24,031). The PM of the right-wing Spanish government says "I'm not going to get into debating figures at this stage and considering what's going on. Spain is going to be supportive and won't argue the numbers"

Just thought I'd throw out that little contrast there. Here's an infographic if anyone cares
http://www.20minutos.es/graficos/reparto-de-refugiados-en-la-union-europea-111/0/

Meanwhile David Cameron gets fired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25a5RRh6nXs

Mister Adequate posted:

I hope fellow goons will join me in offering congratulations to Er Maj on this historic day :)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Salt & vinegar packaging in Australia is in pink, which is a catastrophe.

Green for cheese and onion, blue for salt & vinegar that's how it should be.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Noxville posted:

Actually, Adderall abuse is becoming a thing in e-sports at the moment...

Drugs have been a thing in esports for years, it's just now that there is big money involved people are taking notice.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
[Img]http://i.imgur.com/2GvZcOS.jpg[/i]

NSFW guess whom

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Boris Johnson

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Why would you do that?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spoiler tags still load the image, better for people if you put that in a link.

Also, no loving clue... but I don't like the way she's smiling at me one bit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm guessing Angela Merkel but if so, who cares? Glad she had a nice holiday!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I thought it was Widdecome. Mind you, the Germans are known for their sauciness. If it is Merkel, please no more nuddy shots of other European leaders, tia

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Trickjaw posted:

I thought it was Widdecome. Mind you, the Germans are known for their sauciness. If it is Merkel, please no more nuddy shots of other European leaders, tia

Don't you want to see the wiff-waff of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba posted:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I work in a call centre and used to have to phone other companies call centers a lot, which is how I discovered that Saga Insurance (i.e. the insurance for old people) includes Golden Brown by the Stranglers.

Years ago my workplace used to use Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits as its hold music, I work for an insurance company, and one time we got a complaint about our hold music. A customer had phoned us at 11pm to get their car recovered following an accident. All alone, on a pitch black country road, the caller had to listen to Strangers in the Night while waiting to get through.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
serious gaylord is right on this issue.

Also I personally don't believe that doping is as prevalent in some sports as people seem to believe (partially because there's no money in a lot of Olympic sports). It's going to be completely ubiquitous in football, and it's certainly not a coincidence that eg. Nadal's performance has fallen off enormously following Operation Puerto.

However, a lot of eg. GB rowers (world champions as of the last few days) don't put out that much more than me in terms of watt per kilo (doubly so if you allow for them being full time athletes and me not), they're "just" technically better (again, full time athletes). I'm only on one medication, an asthma inhaler which a) without which I couldn't walk and talk at the same time, let alone do large amounts of cardio and b) doesn't require a TUE even if I took it at twice my prescribed dose. If they're doped up to the gills then they should be ashamed of themselves for being so relatively crap.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

asthma inhaler which a) without which I couldn't walk and talk at the same time

Mate you said the same about beer. I'm starting to doubt your claims.

Also as I type this I realise you used 'which' too much in this quoted snippet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So despite some E-mails and phone calls, Labour never bothered to actually get me a vote and apparently I'm not alone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-leadership-voters-vent-online-6414825

quote:

A Labour party spokesman said all members who had not yet voted were sent an email days ago asking them to get in touch if they had not received their ballot.

I never got this E-mail and yes I checked spam. The only one I ever got was the one thanking me for registering.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Fans posted:

So despite some E-mails and phone calls, Labour never bothered to actually get me a vote and apparently I'm not alone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-leadership-voters-vent-online-6414825

I never got this E-mail and yes I checked spam. The only one I ever got was the one thanking me for registering.

Email each of the candidates and deputy candidates saying you want to vote for them but can't because of this. Give 2nd pref to whoever replies first.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

This is an interesting point when it comes to recreational drug legalization too. Outside of the world of pro athletes, there's still a lot of people taking amphetamines etc. to allow them to work multiple jobs/longer shifts. If they were legalized there'd need to be something done to prevent it becoming an expected part of the work culture.

That said, Loafer's 'better legal' argument applies here, because the people using a bit of speed to work three jobs aren't the side who need punishing in this situation, and there's nothing stopping drug legalization and better workers' rights (except the entire current government and the gutter press :suicide:).

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

D day today, lads and lasses. Three hours until voting closes, so the rigging must be ramping up.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Captain Mediocre posted:

Email each of the candidates and deputy candidates saying you want to vote for them but can't because of this. Give 2nd pref to whoever replies first.

This might be a risky gambit because I know for a fact that Liz Kendel uses a computer like other regular human adults.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Trickjaw posted:

D day today, lads and lasses. Three hours until voting closes, so the rigging must be ramping up.

Judging that quite a few people are saying they just haven't received ballots. Especially e-mail ballots that will effect the youth vote more than anything else. :tinfoil:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Trickjaw posted:

And all the usual voices are making their last desperate hit-pieces. I've just seen this in politics.co.uk, and found it interesting when checking out the 'senior frontbencher'.

politics.co.uk posted:

Labour warned of electoral wipeout under Jeremy Corbyn

The Labour party will face "dire consequences" and lose "hundreds of councillors" if Jeremy Corbyn is elected, a senior frontbencher warned last night.

The shadow transport secretary and vice-chair of the Labour party, Michael Dugher, told a meeting in Westminster that his party would face an electoral wipeout if Corbyn becomes leader on Saturday.

He also warned that Corbyn's election would put the jobs of many council workers at risk.

"There will be dire consequences for Labour beginning next May. I think we will lose hundreds of councillors next May. I think if you are a local government worker in some of those councils where you have had a good Labour council trying to protect jobs, if that council becomes a Tory council there's a better chance you're going to lose your job.

"There are real consequences that are far more urgent than 2020."

Asked by Politics.co.uk what Corbyn needed to do in order to become prime minister, Dugher replied that there were "not enough hours in the day to begin that conversation."

"I will be polite and say I think it will it will be extremely difficult for Jeremy Corbyn to win a general election."

Dugher who is Andy Burnham's campaign manager, suggested the party were already suffering in the polls due to Corbyn's success.

"Think how down some of us felt on the 8th of May, but have you seen our [polling] numbers recently? There are huge warnings for us."

Dugher said his party appeared to be losing even a "vague interest in winning general elections" and was in danger of becoming a "protest movement" rather than a viable governing party.

"I did a party meeting in one constituency… In my naivety I had mentioned the vague possibility of winning a general election and it was not universally well received.

"The biggest cheer of the night went to one woman at the front. She said 'all this talk of winning. We're not here to choose a candidate to be prime minister. We're here to choose a candidate for the leader of the opposition.' And I suddenly thought: 'I'm on a completely different page'. It was quite illuminating."

Dugher's warnings were reiterated by another senior party this figure this morning.

Jon Cruddas (associated with the Blue Labour movement), who has led a review into the party's defeat last May, said the party risked electoral "collapse" under Corbyn.

"I'm worried about it," he told the Today Programme.

"I'm worried it might turn into an early 80s Trotskyite tribute act which has a culture around it which is very hostile to anyone who disagrees. And it could just collapse in front of the electorate. It could do.

"But I don't think there is any safe ground for Labour anyway. So this is one strategy. It might not work. We'll see."

Jeremy Corbyn will tonight hold his final rally before Labour's next leader is announced on Saturday.

Bookies are currently offering a more than 80% chance of Corbyn winning the leadership but are much more doubtful of his chances of winning in 2020.

"If he wins on Saturday I expect we'll offer 8/1 on him ever becoming prime minister," the head of political odds at Ladbrokes, Matthew Shaddick, said last night.

"That's combined with two things. First we don't think he will make it as far as a general election and secondly for reasons Michael alluded to [earlier] it's going to be hard for him to win a majority [or] to get into Downing Street."

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2015/09/10/labour-warned-of-electoral-wipeout-under-jeremy-corbyn

On Michael Dugher, according to Wikipedia: -

Wikipedia posted:

Born and raised in Edlington, South Yorkshire, he went to school in the village and in Doncaster and read Politics at the University of Nottingham. Prior to his election, he worked at 10 Downing Street as the Chief Political Spokesman for Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

A party insider, he also worked as an advisor to the Department of Transport, Local Government and Regional Affairs and Ministry of Defence; as well as to the Leader of the House of Commons and the Government Chief Whip. He was formerly the Head of Policy of the trade union, AEEU.

He has served as a lobbyist for EDS.

Dugher was a Shadow Minister of Defence before becoming the Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition. In 2011 he was promoted to Ed Miliband's Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Minister without Portfolio, a role where he could roam across portfolios and co-ordinate shadow ministers' attacks on the government. In the October 2013 Reshuffle he became Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office. and in November 2014 was appointed Shadow Secretary of State for Transport replacing Mary Creagh.

Dugher held the post of Vice-Chair of Labour Friends of Israel.

As Shadow Secretary of State for Transport, Dugher told the New Statesman that he wanted to see "more public control of the railways" under a Labour government.

Voting record: -

Michael Dugher never rebelled against their party in this parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I never got a ballot, and kn searching my inbox for Labour I find an email in my spam from 6th of August telling me I have six days to reactivate my membership if I want to vote. I never realised my membership had been deactivated.

• Locked thread