Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Glass protectors can protect against fairly minor impacts that would normally shatter the screen proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's not the obvious keys in your pocket that scratch your screen. It's tiny bits of dirt and sand which are harder than your screen.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
New nexus leak:

That bottom bezel looks pretty bad.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

New nexus leak:

To be fair that's showing it in a clear case.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don Lapre posted:

It's not the obvious keys in your pocket that scratch your screen. It's tiny bits of dirt and sand which are harder than your screen.

That's what scares the hell out of me about putting a phone face down. Lay it down on a grain of sand and the moment I brush it with my arm or someone staggers into my desk the phone screen is loving ruined forever with a chromatic fedex arrow that I'll never be able to see past.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh good, screen protector chat.

I don't know. I've rolled without tempered glass (naked) before and drat if I didn't have scratches in like 2 days time. Not deep showstopping gashes, but visible scratches for sure. I know it's probably just the oleophobic coating, not the actual glass, but the spergy OCD in me is triggered, so tempered glass all day long for me. Plus when you resell it (ya'll know I'm about the resell value) buyers get all huffy and toss you a lowball if there is a microscopic sign of a nick. gently caress that noise. Having tempered glass is great since I normally lay phones face-down with zero fucks given.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Plus glass screen protectors are 99c-$3 now.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I took the hivemind advice when I bought my original Moto G and went without a screen protector. The screen, despite being Gorilla Glass got some decently large scratches and the coating died a pretty quick death and quickly felt horrible to touch. I bought a sub $2 glass protector off eBay for my ZF2 and it's been great. There's essentially zero downside. The plastic ones really feal like poo poo in my experience so avoid those.

Also, besides the bathroom dust trick, using tape to help with application makes it really easy. Just youtube some videos to see what I mean.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I took the hivemind advice when I bought my original Moto G and went without a screen protector. The screen, despite being Gorilla Glass got some decently large scratches and the coating died a pretty quick death and quickly felt horrible to touch. I bought a sub $2 glass protector off eBay for my ZF2 and it's been great. There's essentially zero downside. The plastic ones really feal like poo poo in my experience so avoid those.

Also, besides the bathroom dust trick, using tape to help with application makes it really easy. Just youtube some videos to see what I mean.

Also use a compressor or canned air instead of the dumbass "lint free" cloth everyone gives you.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I want to get a tempered glass screen protector for my Moto X Pure in case I decide to return it, but they don't seem to be in stock on Amazon yet until part way through next week. I guess I'll just have to hope nothing gets scratched.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Never had a screen protector or a case on any of my Android phones since the Nexus S and never had a screen scratch or break. Treat your poo poo with care and you're good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Never had a screen protector or a case on any of my Android phones since the Nexus S and never had a screen scratch or break. Treat your poo poo with care and you're good.

Yeah my Moto G went through ~10 countries over a year with no issue, the Moto X 2013 I got to replace it (I wanted the OLED screen) has been to five continents this year, not a scratch on the screen. And I typically log 3.5 hours a day screen use with it. I did drop it twice and the white fiberglass on the developer edition isn't very drop-friendly but the screen is in great loving shape. I don't throw it in buckets full of screws covered in acid or anything, but it's either in my right front jeans pocket or on the table in front of my 100% of the time.

There's that small minority of my friends who ALWAYS have a cracked screen and just seem to abuse the hell out of their phones, everyone else seems to go years and years without issue on their phone. If you NEED a screen protector, you know it, because your old screen got all hosed up despite it living in an otterbox case it's entire life. If you are always on the go and can sell your phone on Swappa after two years as "Good" condition, you probably don't need a screen protector.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I went over three years on my previous phone without a single scratch, but a few months with my new phone and a single grain of sand gave me a nice one down the center. poo poo happens no matter how careful you try to be.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nalin posted:

I went over three years on my previous phone without a single scratch, but a few months with my new phone and a single grain of sand gave me a nice one down the center. poo poo happens no matter how careful you try to be.

poo poo hasn't happened to me (for this specific definition of poo poo) since the Epic 4G. That's having owned a Hero, an Epic 4G, an Evo 3D, a Nexus S, a Galaxy Nexus, a Nexus 4, and a Nexus 5.

the smooth screen is worth the neurosis

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Internet Explorer posted:

For your health!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Biggest human being Ever posted:

New nexus leak:

Hey, the headphone jack is in the right place!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Hey, the headphone jack is in the right place!

The micro SD slot is too!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Dat chin...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So back to griping about the new Now for a bit... I don't care one way or another about the colors, but I do not like that you bow can only swipe cards away in one direction. Of course, it's the opposite direction from what I always did. I hope you lefties are happy! :argh:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

hooah posted:

So back to griping about the new Now for a bit... I don't care one way or another about the colors, but I do not like that you bow can only swipe cards away in one direction. Of course, it's the opposite direction from what I always did. I hope you lefties are happy! :argh:

Oh we are *cue evil laugh*

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Oh good, screen protector chat.

I don't know. I've rolled without tempered glass (naked) before and drat if I didn't have scratches in like 2 days time. Not deep showstopping gashes, but visible scratches for sure. I know it's probably just the oleophobic coating, not the actual glass, but the spergy OCD in me is triggered, so tempered glass all day long for me.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I took the hivemind advice when I bought my original Moto G and went without a screen protector. The screen, despite being Gorilla Glass got some decently large scratches and the coating died a pretty quick death and quickly felt horrible to touch.

Nalin posted:

Listen to these people. Screen protect your poo poo.

hooah posted:

Google probably is starting the process of training their user base to their new "correct" swiping order for when they force all Gmail users to the Inbox interface.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you're using the default Now launcher you've only ever been able to swipe them to the right. As swiping to the left changes you back to the main screen.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DemonMage posted:

If you're using the default Now launcher you've only ever been able to swipe them to the right. As swiping to the left changes you back to the main screen.

I didn't think about that, but yeah, that would make sense. I'd still like an option, dammit, it's so awkward!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Update from the UK: Moto X Style still isn't available to order in the UK, Motorola are repeating all their previous errors in the European market and delaying their phones until everyone has forgotten about them (or at least until the new Nexus & iPhone are announced).

This despite holding the launch event in London.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Assuming the same screen size, the chin's about the same height, relax. Just less rounded over.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
That's not even a real leak though, no? I thought it was just some random case maker's render based off of the actual leaks and speculation. Not to say it isn't very accurate but it's not the real deal either.

If the new N5 has Qi charging and reviews say it has a good battery and camera, and if it's compatible on Verizon, I might jump ship from my 2014 Moto X. Not that the X isn't a good phone but it would be nice to get back on the Nexus train (also to have a better camera).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone receive their Pure yet?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Hughmoris posted:

My tracking number says Monday.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Hughmoris posted:

Mine is out for delivery today, but I bought it from Amazon so I could test-drive it with a better return policy before the new Nexus 5 comes out. I'll update whenever UPS decides to show up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The screen should Marshmallow so I'm thinking it's a placeholder.

If not that's a big step down from the almost non-existent bottom bezel on the n6.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hughmoris posted:

Mine arrived from Amazon today but I am at work. I also need to get a nano SIM for it but that's just a trip to the store.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Hughmoris posted:

I got mine from Amazon early yesterday. Pretty impressed at how quick it got here.

FYI for those activating on Verizon, the IMEI is not recognized as valid. SIM swap works fine though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hikaki posted:

I got mine from Amazon early yesterday. Pretty impressed at how quick it got here.

FYI for those activating on Verizon, the IMEI is not recognized as valid. SIM swap works fine though.

Might want to ping Droid Life about that because a Verizon rep told them yesterday that the Pure would have no issues activating on the network.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've never seen a screen protector that wasn't obvious, so I'm willing to pay the risk of a scratch. never scratched a screen except the one time I dropped my Galaxy Nexus and shattered the screen. That doesn't mean it won't happen but I'll gladly pay the price to not have one on.

I'm honestly surprised I don't scratch my screen, I'm not particularly careful or anything. I lay it facedown all the time..

(will scratch screen tomorrow)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

While I can't compare it to previous Moto X models, this is a really drat nice phone compared to my N5.

Also, I was able to keep my grandfathered 25GB plan with Cricket despite purchasing and activating a nano SIM. Popped the new SIM in and it fired right up.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Huawei Nexus delayed until 2016 or just click-bait? Probably both!

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/60568/20150909/google-nexus-6-delayed-until-2016-due-huawei-dual-edge.htm

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My case bumps out 3/16" from the screen, but I still leave it face up due to my front facing dual speakers. The bump out helps when you drop it on asphalt "pebbles" in the work parking lot.
HTC one m8

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does the battery saving of an AMOLED display benefit from only black pixels,or dark pixels in general? Like a "dark theme" with a very dark grey background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Droid Washington posted:

Does the battery saving of an AMOLED display benefit from only black pixels,or dark pixels in general? Like a "dark theme" with a very dark grey background.

Yes. thats exactly why ambient mode on amoled android wear watches are all black. Black means no power at all to the pixel