Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Erdricks posted:

I have also played with a lot of melee lately, which seems to benefit much much more from quickness.

Also, they get angry if you don't, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I'm enjoying raiding more now than ever. Velious raids are much more interesting and exciting.

Ps anyone that has a Pained Soul or Trak Tooth MQ for sale; let me know. I'm buying.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

I'm enjoying raiding more now than ever. Velious raids are much more interesting and exciting.

Ps anyone that has a Pained Soul or Trak Tooth MQ for sale; let me know. I'm buying.

Quit being a bitch, camp that poo poo like the rest of us!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Red alert!

Powerleveling lowbies in Crushbone on my druid, message Teddy to get a slot.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Quit being a bitch, camp that poo poo like the rest of us!

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU LOGGED IN?

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Back online as Jinouga (54 Monk). Somebody experienced on Red99 hit me up, no clue what's going on with the server and no idea what to do now that Velious is out (never been).

E: Looks like you still can't walk in to KC without the zoneline PvP guards.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 9, 2015

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Ashenden posted:

So these guards only let their guild group in KC?

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

FranktheBank posted:

So these guards only let their guild group in KC?

Was mostly being snarky because a duo made me DC, back before Velious came out when I was active you couldn't get in to KC unless you were in Empire because there were always 10 of them in zone with a couple of dedicated PvPers hanging out at the ZL.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ashenden posted:

Back online as Jinouga (54 Monk). Somebody experienced on Red99 hit me up, no clue what's going on with the server and no idea what to do now that Velious is out (never been).

I used to run the goon guild on p99 but I've been out of comission for a long time. Now with Velious and a stable lifestyle I'm going to try to pick things back up. I'd love to hear who/if anyone is playing on red or interested, as I'm trying to get a leveling team off the ground to do kunark and other content.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
When the hybrid penalty goes away, does the warrior and rogue xp bonus go away?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

I Love You! posted:

I used to run the goon guild on p99 but I've been out of comission for a long time. Now with Velious and a stable lifestyle I'm going to try to pick things back up. I'd love to hear who/if anyone is playing on red or interested, as I'm trying to get a leveling team off the ground to do kunark and other content.

What times are you open?

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

I Love You! posted:

I'm down to join a leveling group, I wanna level an Enchanter or Shaman or Cleric. I was in SLAMDUNKATRON until we joined some other guild to raid then quit the game a week later. Still need someone to port me to Plane of Sky so I can get the Monk Eyepatch turned in. Also looking to get back in the groove of playing my level 52 Bard, don't want to group with pubs while probably terrible.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 10, 2015

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Ashenden posted:

I'm down to join a leveling group, I wanna level an Enchanter or Shaman or Cleric. I was in SLAMDUNKATRON until we joined some other guild to raid then quit the game a week later. Still need someone to port me to Plane of Sky so I can get the Monk Eyepatch turned in. Also looking to get back in the groove of playing my level 52 Bard, don't want to group with pubs while probably terrible.

If the hybrid penalty going away means the warrior/rogue bonus xp goes away, then I want to level a rogue or warrior.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I did some pling in CB last night too. I just pulled the zone, sang my debuff song and let the TD lowbies bash away at the mobs. Got them Crush and Dvinn too. Was a real fun night.

I was in that on my cleric Nanako. Was fun.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

What times are you open?

Pretty flexible. Right now just levleing up some random lowbies though we have characters floating around the low 50s/high 40s. We're still getting our current Xp group together but I'll start posting here whenever we log on.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Tried to do a bit of PLing in CB and some high level named Gamamin (something like that) shot me down to 30% and dotted me. Pretty sure all of the lowbies must have got trained and died when I plugged at zoneline, oops.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU LOGGED IN?

I DON'T KNOW BUT WHEN I DID I HAD A VP KEY THAT I HAD CAMPED MYSELF

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

FranktheBank posted:

When the hybrid penalty goes away, does the warrior and rogue xp bonus go away?

If they keep it classic then no; all bonuses were left in.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
So to level up I should just be grinding the mobs outside qeynos early on right? I turned in my tattered note thing and am level 2 and a half but drat these bats and skeletons and gnolls give pisspoor experience

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Eerkik posted:

So to level up I should just be grinding the mobs outside qeynos early on right? I turned in my tattered note thing and am level 2 and a half but drat these bats and skeletons and gnolls give pisspoor experience
Welcome to EQ. :D

You can try engaging level 2 (even con - black text) mobs, but stay near the guards as some might whoop you. As you get to level 3, engaging level 3 mobs will be a huge risk. Until level 5, it's actually the safest and fastest to just kill the easy level 1 mobs en masse. Low risk, and you will get to level 4 or 5 where you will get new spells and/or a skill. At level 4 you should be able to safely and swiftly kill level 2 mobs, but level 3 mobs will still be a gamle.

Which class are you?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
If you are playing on red, its pretty common to find people PLing in gfay.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
FYI

xZAOx posted:

I DON'T KNOW BUT WHEN I DID I HAD A VP KEY THAT I HAD CAMPED MYSELF

Oh YEAH? Well FAT LOT OF GOOD THAT DID YOU.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Opinions on selecting dwarf as a rogue?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Erdricks posted:

Opinions on selecting dwarf as a rogue?

Good way of letting everyone on red know you're a PK

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

I Love You! posted:

Good way of letting everyone on red know you're a PK

Why's that, just the MR? Do rogues use many procs for the high dex to matter? I always assumed Barbarian was best for slam.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ashenden posted:

Why's that, just the MR? Do rogues use many procs for the high dex to matter? I always assumed Barbarian was best for slam.

Dwarf Rogues are the traditional twink PK build for whatever reason, being small and hard to see is actually rather helpful on top of great stats. There are a few class/race combos you learn to never ever trust on a Red server without good reason: Troll/Ogre SK, Dwarf Rogue, and Gnome Anything top the list of people most likely to start blowing you up at a moment's notice.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I Love You! posted:

Are you planning on red or blue? I'm burnt out on red because gently caress Empire basically. There is zero point in leveling a character to end game content as long as they are around on that server.

On blue I've got an FBSS, full Ivy Etched ranger that I was thinking about leveling when the hybrid exp penalty goes away.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Siets posted:

Are you planning on red or blue? I'm burnt out on red because gently caress Empire basically. There is zero point in leveling a character to end game content as long as they are around on that server.

On blue I've got an FBSS, full Ivy Etched ranger that I was thinking about leveling when the hybrid exp penalty goes away.

Honestly I have no interest in blue but i understand the annoyance at the uberguild.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Anyone know if it's possible to bank with a KOS banker? In particular the Kelethin banker is threatening to me. Guards and merchants are dubious. I assume the tiny window right next to him is enough to interaction with him but I'm not sure if that would actually work. I'm only level 9 so he'll wreck my poo poo fast if it doesn't.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Summit posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to bank with a KOS banker? In particular the Kelethin banker is threatening to me. Guards and merchants are dubious. I assume the tiny window right next to him is enough to interaction with him but I'm not sure if that would actually work. I'm only level 9 so he'll wreck my poo poo fast if it doesn't.
Not unless you can sneak or feign death.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ashenden posted:

Tried to do a bit of PLing in CB and some high level named Gamamin (something like that) shot me down to 30% and dotted me. Pretty sure all of the lowbies must have got trained and died when I plugged at zoneline, oops.

And this is why I play on blue :cheeky:

Eerkik posted:

What class are you playing? The first few levels go slow, but if you're a caster then it should pick up really fast. If you're melee, re-roll a caster unless you have tons of plat to twink yourself with.

Look up the quests you can do in Qeynos so that you're getting bonus XP every few kills, makes it go way way way faster. Possibly look into getting teleported over to gfay for easy 24/7 groups and good crushbone belt experience.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 10, 2015

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Zaphod42 posted:

And this is why I play on blue :cheeky:

What class are you playing? The first few levels go slow, but if you're a caster then it should pick up really fast. If you're melee, re-roll a caster unless you have tons of plat to twink yourself with.

Look up the quests you can do in Qeynos so that you're getting bonus XP every few kills, makes it go way way way faster. Possibly look into getting teleported over to gfay for easy 24/7 groups and good crushbone belt experience.

Adding to this: there's two great ways to level up around Qeynos, rabid wolf pelts and gnoll fangs. The rabid wolves especially are very reliable and good money, too.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Pilsner posted:

Welcome to EQ. :D

You can try engaging level 2 (even con - black text) mobs, but stay near the guards as some might whoop you. As you get to level 3, engaging level 3 mobs will be a huge risk. Until level 5, it's actually the safest and fastest to just kill the easy level 1 mobs en masse. Low risk, and you will get to level 4 or 5 where you will get new spells and/or a skill. At level 4 you should be able to safely and swiftly kill level 2 mobs, but level 3 mobs will still be a gamle.

Which class are you?

My phone died while replying last night and I fell asleep at the login screen ha. I'm a hooman shadow knight

Now that I've refreshed the thread thanks for all the advice guys! The op says most goons are on blue, is that still the case? That's where I rolled because of that and the pop difference. Might just reroll as some sort of caster if thars not the same case still, or if it's really worth it. Magician seems rad as well as wizard for magical teleporting, and I love the idea of enchanter

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 10, 2015

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Eerkik posted:

My phone died while replying last night and I fell asleep at the login screen ha. I'm a hooman shadow knight

Now that I've refreshed the thread thanks for all the advice guys! The op says most goons are on blue, is that still the case? That's where I rolled because of that and the pop difference. Might just reroll as some sort of caster if thars not the same case still, or if it's really worth it. Magician seems rad as well as wizard for magical teleporting, and I love the idea of enchanter

Few of us on Blue always. Red seems to be going through another revival.

Having played on both, getting a cleric from 1-40 on Red was super fast, but the server often feels empty and dodging twink PKs can get annoying.

From what I can see, mages are excellent casters to start off with. Certainly more enjoyable to level than one trick pony wizards (who nobody cares about grouping with until you're 39) ffffff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eerkik posted:

Be aware that for now SK has a 40% exp penalty, which loving hurts. And Its much easier going if you can twink yourself with good gear.

I'd advise playing a Shaman, Enchanter, Druid, Cleric, Necromancer or Magician as your first major character. Way easier and way more fun the first time through.

I personally love the flavor of a magician, and they're pretty fun to play and not too hard. You can solo good or group okay. Necros are kinda the same thing but better, but they're also a bit more complicated.

Wizard and Warrior are the least fun classes in the game and should be avoided at all costs.

Lots of goons on Red, but Red is the PvP server where you'll get ganked with no warning from twinks, so... gently caress that noise.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I always hear that there ironically isn't very much pvp on red other than the griefing and ganking. Is that really the case? I've never quite understood the appeal of eq pvp, in what sort of scenarios is it fun other than griefing people if you're a griefer? Not trying to troll I'm genuinely curious cause I was thinking about playing on red, but it sounds like it's essentially just blue with the added ability to grief people if that's your bag.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Relayer posted:

I always hear that there ironically isn't very much pvp on red other than the griefing and ganking. Is that really the case? I've never quite understood the appeal of eq pvp, in what sort of scenarios is it fun other than griefing people if you're a griefer? Not trying to troll I'm genuinely curious cause I was thinking about playing on red, but it sounds like it's essentially just blue with the added ability to grief people if that's your bag.

EQ was never designed for true PvP. It's not balanced for it, and basically yes, it is strictly to grief.

People say ohhhh guilds can fight over mobs, but the zergfest and sheer numbers prohibit any sort of large scale guild on guild combat, so empire just takes all the mobs because literally no one can compete with their size (which is relatively small, but so is the population of red so there's no real way to compete)

Note: rogean hates red and pretty much everyone on it. He's stated repeatedly his disdain for the guilds and how they run off CSR staff, if that's any indication of the group of people you'd be playing with.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I don't wish to discourage anyone from playing on red but I will say that if you're playing Project 1999 for the enjoyment of grouping and leveling (PVE essentially), I would not recommend it. Sure the experience rate is insane and that's pretty fun but I found around level 20 casual grouping gets more difficult. You need more time and coordination with others since the population is so much lower than blue. If you find enjoyment in an emptier server with more solo targets or you have a lot of time to coordinate with people, you can make it work though. The PVP is 95% garbage so I would not play there for that.

Edit: If you did want to play for PVP you need to be very careful about class selection. A lot of classes, even ones you might assume would be decent, are quite bad due to dispells and potions of various kinds (example: Shamans).

Summit fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 10, 2015

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

I have only played on red so far - how busy are good camps on blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Erdricks posted:

I have only played on red so far - how busy are good camps on blue?

Very busy; its why I play on blue but it also sometimes sucks. All the major obvious named camps are camped pretty drat often, which when you're trying to find a group is pretty sweet (if they aren't full) but if you're doing some solo camp for money can kinda suck.

All the raid bosses are obviously camped 24/7 and have a schedule and poo poo, any rare spawn mobs are pretty often camped unless they're low level or whatever. But there's still some good spawns that most people don't seem to even know about, so its hit or miss for what's camped all the time.

Still, for me playing EQ is all about playing with other people, the fact that blue has such a healthy population is why I'm playing 1999 much less blue.

Red's xp bonus is obviously great but I can't imagine dealing with gankers and stuff. I just want to chill with people in camps and talk about random poo poo while medding and then pull some crap and blow it up for awhile without a care in the world*

*Other than the occasional train in some zones