Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hahaha. I haven't played the dlc yet but Cass reading Varric's next book was the best goddamn thing. :allears:

I am reading the poo poo out of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Dragon Age: Inquisition: a pretty good game when it's all said and done

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Solas speculation:

I suspect that Fen'harel's Veil did not do exactly what he intended it to do. It seems to me that the Veil was a sort of net intended to catch the Evanuris and instead caught magic - all magic, in its entirety. With Thedas and the Fade permanently separated, suddenly only certain people could reach across the Veil enough to do magic at all where it was once a constant part of existence (which isn't to suggest that everyone in that time period was a mage, though I guess they could have been, just that magic was all around you whether you could personally manipulate it or not).

I also went back and rewatched the epilogue to the base game (Solas taking Mythal's power) to see if any of this information puts a new spin on what he said and I think it does. When Solas says "The People, they need me," he's not actually talking about modern elves. Modern elves are meaningless to him, mere shadows of their former selves. He's talking about the old elves and he's perfectly willing to destroy all the elves currently alive in order to get back the empire that was lost. I'd always previously read that scene as Solas seeing himself as the badly needed savior of a downtrodden and enslaved people. But he's not. He's perfectly willing to help modern elves but he's just getting them cozy before he euthanizes them. The only people who matter to him are the ones who are gone and everyone else on Thedas is, by his own admission, creatures he barely even sees as people at all.

Solas is a loving douchebag and I'm gonna punch that guy right his stupid hairless face.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So who here disbanded the Inquisition or pledged it to the Chantry as a peace keeping force? I kept it running because I though it was still needed with Solas out there trying to bring down the Veil and the Qunari threat (I really doubt their Dragon's Breath operation was the work of a rogue faction especially with how easily Qun-Loyal Iron Bull betrays you). Also I thought it was sort of poetic as I had my Inquisitor swear to Solas they would save him from himself and show that this world was worth saving and keeping the Inquisition running was a challenge to Solas' assertion that it would suffer the fate of imploding under corruption and betrayal.

Also did anyone else think the slides went by too quickly?

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 10, 2015

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Solas speculation:

I suspect that Fen'harel's Veil did not do exactly what he intended it to do. It seems to me that the Veil was a sort of net intended to catch the Evanuris and instead caught magic - all magic, in its entirety. With Thedas and the Fade permanently separated, suddenly only certain people could reach across the Veil enough to do magic at all where it was once a constant part of existence (which isn't to suggest that everyone in that time period was a mage, though I guess they could have been, just that magic was all around you whether you could personally manipulate it or not).

I also went back and rewatched the epilogue to the base game (Solas taking Mythal's power) to see if any of this information puts a new spin on what he said and I think it does. When Solas says "The People, they need me," he's not actually talking about modern elves. Modern elves are meaningless to him, mere shadows of their former selves. He's talking about the old elves and he's perfectly willing to destroy all the elves currently alive in order to get back the empire that was lost. I'd always previously read that scene as Solas seeing himself as the badly needed savior of a downtrodden and enslaved people. But he's not. He's perfectly willing to help modern elves but he's just getting them cozy before he euthanizes them. The only people who matter to him are the ones who are gone and everyone else on Thedas is, by his own admission, creatures he barely even sees as people at all.

Solas is a loving douchebag and I'm gonna punch that guy right his stupid hairless face.

Solas stuff and Masked Empire spoilers:

Yeah Solas really is a dick. In the Masked Empire novel, there was a mysterious elf guy called Felassan who basically turned out to be an agent for Solas. His job was to get the passcode for the eluvian network for him, but in the end he ended up letting Briala (who was helping the modern elves) have it instead of giving it to Solas. At the end of the book, Felassan admits to Solas that he gave it to them and Solas basically just murders him (this part wasn't made clear until Trespasser). Cole even references this in the DLC to make it perfectly clear that Solas is willing to gently caress over all the regular elves. This is what Cole says: "His friend had to die, because he thought they were people. A slow arrow breaks in the sad wolf's jaws." Slow arrow is Felassan, and the wolf is Solas. So basically Solas straight up murdered his friend because he treated the elves like people and wanted to help them. At least he was sad about it I guess...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Solas does specifically say the Elves aren't his people after WEWH so it really shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Holy poo poo. I was just talking to Cole, and he said something like "If you leave and come back, the chest refills itself! That's why we know too much".

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I keep thinking about TRESPASSER SPOILER The Iron Bull fighting you when ordered by the lady in charge of the Qunari. They make it a point to mention that they are a rouge faction and have not been ordered to do this by the Qun leadership. If that's true, and it's possible that was just a lie from Par Vollen, then why would Bull just agree to what she says. Does the Qun say that they should listen to the people of certain titles, regardless if they go rogue?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CuwiKhons posted:

Solas speculation:

Yeah he's remarkably similar to Corypheus. Neither of them gives a poo poo about the consequences of putting the world together exactly how they want it. Hell Solas is even more petty because he's trying to restore a world that wasn't really different in any meaningful way just for his own personal comfort.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Spikeguy posted:

I keep thinking about TRESPASSER SPOILER The Iron Bull fighting you when ordered by the lady in charge of the Qunari. They make it a point to mention that they are a rouge faction and have not been ordered to do this by the Qun leadership. If that's true, and it's possible that was just a lie from Par Vollen, then why would Bull just agree to what she says. Does the Qun say that they should listen to the people of certain titles, regardless if they go rogue?

Because they are not a rouge faction. That's what the higher ups are saying to cover their asses.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Leelee posted:

Can anyone who had a Leliana who was killed in origins confirm this ending slide?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/3k7h96/trespasser_spoilers_leliana_epilouge/

If Leliana was essentially dead the whole time and powered by lyrium, would that explain her resistance to infection in all the time jump shenanigans in the main game?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

They're not actually a rogue faction. It's just plausible deniability for the Qun leadership.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm kind of glad I used my Failquisitor run where I made such great decisions as killing Hawke, sacrificing the chargers, and romancing Solas, for my first playthrough of Trespasser. Cheesy as it is, when Iron Bull betrays you and calls the Inquisitor "bas" I actually felt a feeling, which was a first for Inquisition. I guess I just like being able to kill characters I like.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I dig what ya'll are saying about the Qun. I had my suspicion but I wanted to talk it out. I'm digging all the little extra poo poo in the Winter Palace and crossroads that I didn't notice before. Getting all the dog bones gets you a unique weapon, getting all the halla statues for the skeleton gets you a giant upgrade bonus. Take ya'lls time the 2nd playthrough because it's pretty packed.

One thing I haven't figured out there is a murder clown teleporting in a poof of purple smoke all over the palace but I don't know where he'll end up or if it even matters to catch him.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

One thing I haven't figured out there is a murder clown teleporting in a poof of purple smoke all over the palace but I don't know where he'll end up or if it even matters to catch him.

You get increased stats and a one-handed weapon schematic; the not-lightsaber, Brand I think it's called.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

You get increased stats and a one-handed weapon schematic; the not-lightsaber, Brand I think it's called.

What do you do, just keep running up to him? I've caught him about 4 or 5 times.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

people don't waste any time, accidentally spoiled myself will looking up locations for those drat mosaics
oh well, but:
are we seriously going to go with the same plot as the second season of legend of korra?

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Shugojin posted:

Yeah he's remarkably similar to Corypheus. Neither of them gives a poo poo about the consequences of putting the world together exactly how they want it. Hell Solas is even more petty because he's trying to restore a world that wasn't really different in any meaningful way just for his own personal comfort.

That's a super-interesting comparison. However, while both Cory and Solas are trying to tear the world apart to fix past mistakes, one crucial point: Cory was out for himself the whole time when he invaded the golden city, and the result was a Blight that terrorized the world for centuries.

Solas' decision was made out of genuine concern for the future of the Earth and the painful irony is that it DID save the world and improve life for everyone - except his own race. So now he has to hypocritically eat all his well-intentioned words and reveal, yeah, he's an elf supremacist, gently caress the greater good of every other species and the concept of reality so long as his precious elves come out on top again - EVEN THOUGH elves demonstrated they are royal shitheads to themselves and hoers when granted unlimited power.

Long story short - Cory was evil the entire time, Solas is now evil because he's decided to be loving selfish.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Shugojin posted:

You have to destroy the cart with the gaatlok and whatever on it. For me nothing worked except for the fancy new Mark power. Once that's done, get all the fire jets to not be in the way of the door, and open it up by getting the levers on each side of the door. You'll have to run between the two levers but the timing is pretty generous so it's no big deal.

e: Oh I see you got it, I'll leave it there anyway though.
Jesus, thank you, I came in to ask about this. The stupid game said fire would detonate it so I kept throwing fire grenades at it :downs:

e: It's funny that Bull dies just as easily when he's an NPC :laugh:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 10, 2015

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
I like that you can read it as he's been calling you Bas the whole time just using the phonetically similar Boss. Good writing.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Just finished Trespasser and while it turned out to be quite short it didn't really feel that short because of all the good stuff. Probably my favourite BioWare DLC actually, lots of cool lore stuff and a poo poo-ton of companion banter and interaction which was especially nice as some of the banters really felt like conversations between people who had known each other now for years. Bull in particular was especially talkative and the quality of all the interactions almost makes me want to replay this again with a different set of companions instead of just waiting and listening to all the interactions on youtube. And even despite all the dumb BioWare meme poo poo scattered throughout (the whole bees thing is just so loving dumb) I smiled and laughed a bunch of times at the different companion bits.

Judging by the final shot of the DLC I really hope that means a Tevinter-set game, please don't tease me BioWare.

Regarding the locations of the DLC - did it ever tell us where exactly we were when trotting about the Eluvians? I'd love to know where Fen'Harel's valley and that final elven temple were. My guess would be somewhere in the Tirashan as I think Leliana mentioned that and I think both Solas and his Elven followers are all mentioned as seen heading West.

Edit: Oh also, didn't see anyone mention this yet but holy poo poo the music for this DLC was loving fantastic - just great all around, really leant towards epic fantasy as DA is prone to do but I felt it really hit the right tone for a slightly bittersweet epilogue.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

An elf/Titan conflict is confirmed by a pretty well-hidden mural in this DLC, actually. I don't want to over-spoil it, so you can see it if you go back to the Deep Roads Eluvian after getting the exploding Mark power. There's a collapsed doorway with gaatlok in it that you blow up to get there, right near the entrance.

I won't be able to replay the DLC for a while and I have no saves even close to near this point so would you mind just spoiling and/or screenshoting it?

Chuf fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 10, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

AnimeJune posted:

Solas' decision was made out of genuine concern for the future of the Earth
I don't even think this is all the way true. Solas killed untold numbers of ordinary elves when he created the Veil and caused all their flying cities to, well, fall and kill everyone onboard. It completely destroyed the infrastructure of their society. I feel like at some point it wasn't even about improving elven lives anymore as it was about the simple desire to destroy the Evanuri, out of vengeance or otherwise. And he justifies his actions by claiming that, poo poo, it's better for some of these elves to die screaming than for the Evanuri to continue their reign over them. It's not so different from the rationale he gives the Inquisitor today, about killing everyone so that the "right" world can be built.

I honestly really love how they've set up Solas in this, and it ties into what imo is the most important element of Bioware games: Choice. It's the element that stands them apart from the rest when they make it work, and the element makes Bioware a laughingstock when they fumble it. It's what makes Loghain work, but Anders fail, as a narrative. It's what makes the ME2 ending great, but the ME3 (vanilla) ending an in-joke in the community.

Solas' story is, to be fair, pretty linear as a whole, but the important part is the varying ways that your character is allowed to respond to that story, and it to you. It's like the Ostagar story that Solas himself relates: in the Fade, both perspectives of it are somehow true. The same really goes for Solas.

It is absolutely possible and correct for your character, and by inference you, to play through this story seeing Solas as a sneering, misanthropic villain. As much as he was a source of hope to the downtrodden of his time, the fact is that he would rather kill the elves, ancient or modern, than see them as slaves. The Inquisitor should honestly see and treat him like any other Archdemon or Magister, a primeval being coming out of the depths of forgotten history to endanger the modern world...and if you play the game with that in mind, that is in fact exactly what he becomes. Just this manipulative hypocritical rear end in a top hat who needs to be put down.

It's also absolutely possible and correct for your character, and by inference you, to sympathize with him, so see him as tragic and misguided, to be grateful for his friendship (...or his dick), and to want to save him from himself. And if that's how you played the game, then he becomes that as well: a somber, conflicted figure, for whom there is still hope. A comrade who you would hate to kill unless there was completely no choice.

OR...you could do both. There's really nothing in the game that prevents you from totally hating Solas, but still choosing to want to save him; just because your Inquisitor disagreed with the guy about spirits or templars or whatever doesn't mean he or she isn't an idealistic soul who would do everything in their power to redeem others. And likewise there's nothing that prevents you from caring for Solas throughout the game, but still feeling the sting of his betrayal and swearing to end him for the good of the world, all while he waxes poetic about how much he respects you.

Or...you could even agree with him. You might not even see what he did as wrong. I have...no idea how that would work for future installations, but even that option is there for the discerning sociopath.

I like that this variation is there, in both large and subtle ways. I don't need overly complex characters so long as my characters are able to react to them in complex ways.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Endgame Trespasser spoilers:

I've seen the ending where the inquisition is dissolved. The core group standing around the map and stabbing Tevinter. What happens if you do not disband the Inquisition?

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Same. But they go to find dudes for the group who are not known by Mr. S.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Man, I'm never letting The Chargers die again. Losing Bull is the most effective betrayal Bioware has ever pulled off. I left him back at the Winter Palace thinking well this time he won't betray me. But who comes loving waltzing out of the side door. Is it any different if you romance him?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
All finished now. Just a couple of questions: In the Ivy-covered tower or whatever it's called, how do you get through that golden gate? There's clearly a ton of poo poo in there (I can see the loot prompt but not able to trigger it) and what I assume is a chance to listen to a companion. Second, the veilfire puzzle with the circle of sconces and the wolf statue. I press the button so the eyes glow like the tablet says, but I can't get back fast enough to light the sconces.

Also the credits may be the best thing Bioware has ever done :allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Second, the veilfire puzzle with the circle of sconces and the wolf statue. I press the button so the eyes glow like the tablet says, but I can't get back fast enough to light the sconces.
This one's tough. I think I finally did it by positioning one of my followers as close to the exit as I could, telling everyone to hold position, and then switching to them as soon as I pressed the button and making a dash for it. Having an ability like bull charge or the mage charge thingy might help too.

Did anyone find all the statue puzzles? I ended up missing one. Probably in the Deep Roads?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well just played a lil bit tonight, but holy poo poo has this reminded me I bloody hate the combat in this game. Even on casual enemies have waaaaaaaay too much hp and mage has no mp to work with and :argh: I remember why I only did one playthrough of this game.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 10, 2015

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Spikeguy posted:

Can I just remark on how good those dungeons looked? The landscape felt vast and detailed, and the last one with the water running down the broken stairs over the foliage was just really pretty. I really hope the next DA game keeps the art direction, because it was my favorite part of this game - which is now my favorite Bioware game.

I also really liked the incidental writing in the various journals, especially the more humorous stuff. Maybe a little corny but whatever.

On a different note, who here killed the literal dragon's breath dragon instead of freeing? My game seemed to glitch out completely at that point and I couldn't trigger the latter, so had to do the former.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

How did ya'll even know there was a DLC released?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kater posted:

How did ya'll even know there was a DLC released?

There was a whole PAX panel and announcement for this one. RPS, among others, also announced all three.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
poo poo I forgot my password and EA's email doesn't give a link to reset my password, what's my other option here?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Leelee posted:

Endgame Trespasser spoilers:

I've seen the ending where the inquisition is dissolved. The core group standing around the map and stabbing Tevinter. What happens if you do not disband the Inquisition?

They go the way of the first Inquisition fall under the Divine as her honor guard and peace-keepers; cutting down their forces and power considerably but still strong enough to give anyone who would want to oppose the Divine pause. And they have stricter screenings for recruits to prevent spies from infiltrating the Inquisition. The ending is largely the same, just that Leliana and Cassandra say that they need to be careful now that Solas knows how they work and who their allies are and the Inquisitor saying they need allies Solas doesn't know, stabbing Tevinter. I liked that one of the options for keeping the Inquisition has you reciting Cassandra's speech when she called for the formation of the Inquisition at the beginning of the game (she even nods in approval).

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 10, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

gschmidl posted:

I also really liked the incidental writing in the various journals, especially the more humorous stuff. Maybe a little corny but whatever.

On a different note, who here killed the literal dragon's breath dragon instead of freeing? My game seemed to glitch out completely at that point and I couldn't trigger the latter, so had to do the former.

I did, because it took me until the dragon was almost dead to notice the levers by the door. I spent like five minutes just twirling the rings of fire around trying to figure out if I was supposed to get them to line up a certain way, all the while my party relentlessly murdered the dragon. Then I got mad at the puzzle and killed it. Then I noticed the levers :negative:

BrianWilly posted:

I don't even think this is all the way true. Solas killed untold numbers of ordinary elves when he created the Veil and caused all their flying cities to, well, fall and kill everyone onboard. It completely destroyed the infrastructure of their society. I feel like at some point it wasn't even about improving elven lives anymore as it was about the simple desire to destroy the Evanuri, out of vengeance or otherwise. And he justifies his actions by claiming that, poo poo, it's better for some of these elves to die screaming than for the Evanuri to continue their reign over them. It's not so different from the rationale he gives the Inquisitor today, about killing everyone so that the "right" world can be built.

Maybe I'm being too sympathetic to a huge douchebag but I still don't think Solas knew that would happen when he put up the Veil. Following his long nap (how long was he asleep? did they say specifically? I've never been clear on how long ago Arlathan fell), he seems to have been genuinely horrified by what the Veil has done to the world. I think the Veil was only ever intended to trap the Evanuris, not wholly separate the physical world from the magical world. I think he tries to justify it in retrospect, that ultimately the Elves needed the Evanuris gone more than they needed their empire and their lives, but the simple fact that he's willing to take down the Veil now shows that's not actually something he believes. If he really thought that the Evanuris were the ultimate threat then he wouldn't take down the Veil that holds them back and turn the world into a charnel pit just on the off chance he's actually capable of dealing with a furious pantheon. And sure, they're not really gods, but neither is Solas. And they've had a long time to be stew on their anger.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Robutt posted:

I won't be able to replay the DLC for a while and I have no saves even close to near this point so would you mind just spoiling and/or screenshoting it?

Sure:

There's a veilfire rune on there, it says this:

In the light of the veilfire, the runes seems to shift, coiling and uncoiling like snakes. A thunderous voice shatters the stillness, shouting:

"Hail Mythal, adjudicator and savior! She has struck down the Pillars of the Earth and rendered their Demense unto the People! Praise her name forever!"

For a moment, the scent of blood fills the air, and there is a vivid image of green vines growing and enveloping a sphere of fire.

The vision grows dark. An aeon seems to pass. Then the runes crackle, as if filled with an angry energy.

A new vision appears: Elves collapsing caverns, sealing the Deep Roads with stone and magic.

Terror, heart-pounding, ice-cold, as the last of the spells is cast.

A voice whispers:

"What the Evanuris in their greed could unleash would end us all. Let this place be forgotten. Let no one wake its anger. The people must rise before their false gods destroy them all."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm downloading the game again to play the newest DLC, but it took an hour to get 20% downloaded through Origin :(

I should have just searched for torrents, how long can it take to download 25 gigabytes??

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Maybe I'm being too sympathetic to a huge douchebag but I still don't think Solas knew that would happen when he put up the Veil. Following his long nap (how long was he asleep? did they say specifically? I've never been clear on how long ago Arlathan fell), he seems to have been genuinely horrified by what the Veil has done to the world. I think the Veil was only ever intended to trap the Evanuris, not wholly separate the physical world from the magical world. I think he tries to justify it in retrospect, that ultimately the Elves needed the Evanuris gone more than they needed their empire and their lives, but the simple fact that he's willing to take down the Veil now shows that's not actually something he believes. If he really thought that the Evanuris were the ultimate threat then he wouldn't take down the Veil that holds them back and turn the world into a charnel pit just on the off chance he's actually capable of dealing with a furious pantheon. And sure, they're not really gods, but neither is Solas. And they've had a long time to be stew on their anger.
Solas isn't doing what he's doing because ]he cares all that much about how different the world is with the Veil. Sure, it sucks, but that's not his priority. His priority -- according to him, at least -- is "the People." After all, if elves could live free and happy with the Veil in place, then I doubt he'd give a hoot about bringing it down. As it stands however, the elves Solas sees are neither free or happy or anything remotely like the ones from his time. So the Veil is only a means to an end for Solas; if he brings it down, he can destroy the current world with massive Fadey chaos, and give the (surviving) elves longevity again, making them truly the "people" that he remembers. That the spirits would also return to this world is a bonus, not the catalyst. (And hopefully he's not just blowing smoke about his plans to deal with the Evanuri when they return as well; he doesn't seem to think they'd be a threat to him, though he's obviously been wrong before.)

I mean, you're technically right; if the absolute only thing Solas cared about was making sure the Evanuri stayed suffering in their prisons, then he'd just let the world go on as it is, Veil and all, no matter how badly the elves fare. So he clearly does care about people, not just elven people but all people, with the caveat that he doesn't think their lives are worth living if they aren't living the way he deems right. Honestly, I don't like the idea that destroying Arlathan was some stupid unforeseen mistake he made, as opposed to something Solas knew would happen but that he decided was worth the price of his plans. I'm fine with the fact that he didn't foresee the elves being enslaved by Tevinter and being oppressed in the modern age, but that's different from the immediate effects of his plans to seal the Fade. The idea that Solas would just, well, accidentally drop entire cities from the skies because he didn't think ripping the world in half would have dire consequences for the elves...that'd just make him seem like some kind of colossal idiotic fuckup and makes him less sympathetic to me, not more.

I much prefer the idea that he knew exactly what he was doing and what the consequences of sundering the Fade would be, but ultimately decided to make that cruel, ruthless, heartbreaking choice anyway because that's just who he is and how far the world had driven him, all the while stubbornly clinging to the hope that it will all be worth it in the end.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

An elf/Titan conflict is confirmed by a pretty well-hidden mural in this DLC, actually. I don't want to over-spoil it, so you can see it if you go back to the Deep Roads Eluvian after getting the exploding Mark power. There's a collapsed doorway with gaatlok in it that you blow up to get there, right near the entrance.

Goddamn, it would be hilarious if the Blight started because the elven "gods" killed or incapacitated the Titans and their red lyrium infection simply spread into the Deep Roads and resurrected a bunch of corpses.

The mages didn't do it, and the humans didn't do it. It was the loving elves.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

All finished now. Just a couple of questions: In the Ivy-covered tower or whatever it's called, how do you get through that golden gate? There's clearly a ton of poo poo in there (I can see the loot prompt but not able to trigger it) and what I assume is a chance to listen to a companion. Second, the veilfire puzzle with the circle of sconces and the wolf statue. I press the button so the eyes glow like the tablet says, but I can't get back fast enough to light the sconces.

Also the credits may be the best thing Bioware has ever done :allears:

Do you mean In the hidden armory? http://i.imgur.com/KWR6jEb.jpg it's pretty hidden.

BrianWilly posted:

This one's tough. I think I finally did it by positioning one of my followers as close to the exit as I could, telling everyone to hold position, and then switching to them as soon as I pressed the button and making a dash for it. Having an ability like bull charge or the mage charge thingy might help too.

Did anyone find all the statue puzzles? I ended up missing one. Probably in the Deep Roads?

The last one and most hidden one was for me in the Deep roads after you flooded the mine go back to where you can see a Eluvian behind some rubble, use your anchor

So the elves killed the Titans to get their blood/Lyrium is what i got from this text but the other part what with the elves fleeing from terror from the deep roads, did they cause or discover somehow the Blight and fled from it? Or were the death of the Titans somehow related to the Blight? If not, what else caused them to flee with the power to destroy them? It happened clearly before the Veil was created so it could become pretty important in future titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Junkozeyne posted:

Do you mean In the hidden armory? http://i.imgur.com/KWR6jEb.jpg it's pretty hidden.

The last one and most hidden one was for me in the Deep roads after you flooded the mine go back to where you can see a Eluvian behind some rubble, use your anchor
Yes, that one, thank you. I went down there but I guess I just ignored the bombs :downs:

• Locked thread