Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And as everyone was attesting to in the event thread, gotta let those Plex devs into the tvOS beta and get them working on their launch app.

Edit:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did they say if the Siri mic is in the remote or in the Apple TV?

Both are the remote. (dual mics for noise cancellation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

It's in the remote, and you need to push a button to activate it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for double posting but holy poo poo, apple is selling a wristband loop for the remote separately.

I can't remember if the Wii initially came with them. But I do remember there was a problem with them breaking.

Edit: yeah, the Wiimotes came with a wrist strap included. But they had to be replaced because the original ones were snapping during gameplay.

Still, it's a separate accessory. That's just mean.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

choobs posted:

From the Specs Page:

Rechargeable battery providing months of battery life on a single charge (with typical daily usage)

Yay!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's in the remote. Trigger warning: The Verge http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9297131/new-apple-tv-update-remote-2015-hands-on-video-photos

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Sorry for double posting but holy poo poo, apple is selling a wristband loop for the remote separately.

I can't remember if the Wii initially came with them. But I do remember there was a problem with them breaking.

Edit: yeah, the Wiimotes came with a wrist strap included. But they had to be replaced because the original ones were snapping during gameplay.

Still, it's a separate accessory. That's just mean.

I would have zero use for a wrist strap, since I won't be playing games on mine.

Although considering how often I lose my existing AppleTV remote, maybe a wrist strap might help.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm a bit sad that I won't be able to control the new ATV with my Harmony.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

If you're a registered developer, you can apply to get the new Apple TV early here:

https://developer.apple.com/tvos/developer-kit/

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Really interested to see how Siri search will work for more obscure stuff that won't have an obvious splash screen and be available from 3 different providers.

Also for how it will work (IF it will work) for shows/movies that only exist in my iTunes library.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My excitement for the new ATV was squashed by:
1. No toslink . I use my current atv to airplay audio from my phone all the time. It allowed me to listen to music through my audio system without turning the tv on. Now, my tv has to be on to listen, i presume.

2. No IR sensor for my harmony. This is so stupid. Even Eddy Cue has a large tv and control system in his house that uses a single remote. He should know that having to pick up a second remote just for one device is a pain.

Also, was there any mention of an upgrade to the interface of the current ATV? Will it get the app store?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Cornjob posted:

1. No toslink . I use my current atv to airplay audio from my phone all the time. It allowed me to listen to music through my audio system without turning the tv on. Now, my tv has to be on to listen, i presume.

2. No IR sensor for my harmony. This is so stupid. Even Eddy Cue has a large tv and control system in his house that uses a single remote. He should know that having to pick up a second remote just for one device is a pain.

Also, was there any mention of an upgrade to the interface of the current ATV?

IR receiver is listed on the tech specs. http://www.apple.com/tv/specs/

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Also, was there any mention of an upgrade to the interface of the current ATV? Will it get the app store?

I doubt it will support the App Store since it has very limited internal storage. I could see them updating the interface.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The current Apple TV will not get the App Store.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also for how it will work (IF it will work) for shows/movies that only exist in my iTunes library.

This is another major thing I'd like to know more about.

Edit: the website does have a section on "your media" (photos/home movies) but no word on stuff in your iTunes Library.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Cornjob posted:

That's a bummer... I hadn't noticed that at all.

Edit: It looks like the only option besides an Airplay compatible receiver would be an Airport Express? Meh.

choobs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 9, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder if Siri integration will work with an iPhone as a remote? Maybe a revamped Remote App?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Quote != Edit :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I wonder if Siri integration will work with an iPhone as a remote? Maybe a revamped Remote App?

I would imagine so since you can use your phone as a controller for games.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm looking forward to recording 4K video on my new iPhone and needing to use some non-ATV device to play it back on my TV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I'm looking forward to recording 4K video on my new iPhone and needing to use some non-ATV device to play it back on my TV.

Unless you bought a TV in the last year, good look getting your TV to play the 4K video from your non-ATV device.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thwomp posted:

Unless you bought a TV in the last year, good look getting your TV to play the 4K video from your non-ATV device.

...what the gently caress is the point of this statement?

It’s disappointing that the revamped atv doesn’t ha e 4k. It’s not an obscene thing to expect when the product line up to here hasn’t been getting refreshed on a yearly scale.

Wriststraps are the new iphone socks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The point of the statement is to defer any possible disappointment in the product away from Apple. It's not their fault.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I'd believe the rumor that this hardware was finalized a year+ ago and they were trying to wrangle content deals before finally saying "gently caress it," and releasing this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really hoping two things, both Plex related:

- Plex app is actually approved and up on the AppleTV app store ASAP
- Siri search is expandable to other apps, so you could theoretically search a Plex library using Siri.

I suppose worst case for #1 is that you could sideload Plex with a $99/yr dev account, but that would be a super last resort. I'd probably stick with my Roku for Plex at that point.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
I wonder how many early developer units they have...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thwomp posted:

I, uh, did buy a TV in the last year, and it can take 3840x2160@30Hz input over HDMI, as well as directly streamed from Netflix/Amazon/YouTube and so forth.

Do you think it's uncommon that people who buy Apple products have new TVs?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, if you have been in a Best Buy lately, it is 4k wall to wall. It's the 3DTV of 2015.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Martytoof posted:

Really hoping two things, both Plex related:

- Plex app is actually approved and up on the AppleTV app store ASAP
- Siri search is expandable to other apps, so you could theoretically search a Plex library using Siri.

I suppose worst case for #1 is that you could sideload Plex with a $99/yr dev account, but that would be a super last resort. I'd probably stick with my Roku for Plex at that point.

I think both of these are gonna be pretty much a lock. I think the Siri searching is baller. I'm sad I just purchased a 3rd gen but the price for the new one is pretty sweet

e: I would guess this means that the old models won't be getting any more significant updates. Maybe we'll get Music on the 3rd gen but I'd bet that's all

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I've been waiting to get something to replace my aging Roku, and since I've gone full Apple - this looks KILLER.

Can't wait!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

god this blows posted:

IR receiver is listed on the tech specs. http://www.apple.com/tv/specs/

Good.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I might replace my rpi XBMC box with this if it supports HDMI-CEC and Plex or XBMC.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I haven't caught up yet, was there any mention of multiple users? One of my biggest complaints with the Apple TV has been that apps like Music, Photos etc all are tied to my account. I'd like my wife to be able to listen to her music library and not have it effect my recommendations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
This was quick

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I'm geeked about the whole announcement, though I was sad that as I threw $200 in cash at my laptop, Apple wouldn't take the money and beam me a new Apple TV.

Dammit, Apple! :)

Seriously though, I think my only niggle with the whole thing is I don't like the light / bright background for the UI. If they toggle that (as they do some of the motion 'screensaver' to dark at night though that'd be cool - or if they give you a choice of themes. (very Un-Apple like - but they do have dark mode in OS X now, so who knows?)

I won't replace all three of my ATV3s with this - but definitely the one in the home theater. Kinda bummed that the ATV3 isn't getting Apple Music - which is the main reason for the one in my bedroom - but I can always still Airplay to it from my phone or iPad.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

...what the gently caress is the point of this statement?

It’s disappointing that the revamped atv doesn’t ha e 4k. It’s not an obscene thing to expect when the product line up to here hasn’t been getting refreshed on a yearly scale.

Subjunctive posted:

I, uh, did buy a TV in the last year, and it can take 3840x2160@30Hz input over HDMI, as well as directly streamed from Netflix/Amazon/YouTube and so forth.

Do you think it's uncommon that people who buy Apple products have new TVs?

My point is 4K is only just coming onto the market. The first 4K blu-ray players are only just beginning to hit the market this year and no broadcast TV even offers a 1080p resolution, let alone 4K. The format is years away from wide adoption so it makes sense for Apple to wait until there's wider adoption (see: how long it took Apple to incorporate 1080p into the AppleTV).

it also follows Apple's MO of leaving options out for an easy and obvious upgrade path.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Thwomp posted:

My point is 4K is only just coming onto the market. The first 4K blu-ray players are only just beginning to hit the market this year and no broadcast TV even offers a 1080p resolution, let alone 4K. The format is years away from wide adoption so it makes sense for Apple to wait until there's wider adoption (see: how long it took Apple to incorporate 1080p into the AppleTV).

it also follows Apple's MO of leaving options out for an easy and obvious upgrade path.

Agreed. 4K was never going to be included in this year's model. The addition of the App Store will lead to an annual refresh of the device, and 4K functionality is one of the easiest ways to push a new device. I wouldn't be surprised to see no 4K next year either - even if adoption rates pick up drastically. I'd guess we see it implemented in the 2017 refresh of the device, when 4K streaming will have picked up enough to warrant inclusion, and ISPs have caved in and removed data caps.

Next year we will probably get Apple Gamepad - a revolutionary way to interact with games on your TV, and a Siri-button included in the controller that allows you to order pizza from Dominos without having to pause your game.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

Agreed. 4K was never going to be included in this year's model. The addition of the App Store will lead to an annual refresh of the device, and 4K functionality is one of the easiest ways to push a new device. I wouldn't be surprised to see no 4K next year either - even if adoption rates pick up drastically. I'd guess we see it implemented in the 2017 refresh of the device, when 4K streaming will have picked up enough to warrant inclusion, and ISPs have caved in and removed data caps.

Next year we will probably get Apple Gamepad - a revolutionary way to interact with games on your TV, and a Siri-button included in the controller that allows you to order pizza from Dominos without having to pause your game.

I wouldn't be too sure about that bolded part. See: iPod Touch

2017 though? Yeah, I could see a 4K upgrade then. Does any iDevice include h.265 yet?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Thwomp posted:

I wouldn't be too sure about that bolded part. See: iPod Touch

2017 though? Yeah, I could see a 4K upgrade then. Does any iDevice include h.265 yet?

Games are really going to take over the TV Appstore, and the A8 isn't going to be too impressive with more demanding games blown up on a 50inch screen. I think a refreshed A9 Apple TV would be nailed on for next year (along with those content deals that Apple were still working on). Given the possibility of eating into the home-console market space, I'd be surprised if we don't get a refresh every year for the next few years, and an eventual pro model with an AXX to put the squeeze on console makers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kinda disappointed there wasn't a single mention of Homekit for the AppleTV. I wonder if those rumors were bunk or if they're still planning some sort of Homekit hub, maybe a refresh Airport Extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Isn't 4k streaming still really taxing on our network infrastructure at the moment, though?

I might be completely wrong about this but I could've sworn that a major part of why no tech company has really introduced a 4k content pipeline for the masses yet is that if millions of houses suddenly gained the ability/desire to stream 4k at the volume that Americans currently stream HD at (and at the fluidity, speed, and quality level that we've come to expect), it would simply break the internet.

Of course, there isn't nearly an adequate amount of content available yet either, and I'm 90% sure that this is also why.

I think Netflix at some point said something along that order too. Like, "we would love to fill our roster with 4k content but we simply can't afford that and our current equipment wouldn't be able to handle it."

• Locked thread