Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

I've been away for a while. Anything good in the way of RPG and/or Strategy games come out relatively recently?

Most recent games I played were Darkest Dungeon, Divinity: Original Sin, and Dark Souls II.

I heard there was a new Dungeons 2 that might have done a better job of being a Dungeon Keeper successor, was that any good?

Pillars of Eternity is pretty good, and Sunless Sea if you want a more narrative-driven sort of RPG (or maybe it's an adventure game? I don't really know how to classify it, there are stats that you level up and you roleplay as a sea captain but it's mostly a text adventure with inventory management and some ship-based combat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I should be getting a new computer for school in a couple days with a Geforce 840m on it. What would be some games that could best take advantage of that?

I had a computer with 540m in 2009. It was enough to play most newer games back then.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Sleeveless posted:

If you ever get a chance read up on the development of MGS2, the stuff that he cut out or changed is even sillier/more batshit than what was left in. Like at one point he wanted to release the game under the title Metal Gear Solid 3 just to gently caress with people.

At the end of 4, Snake and Otacon were to be arrested as war criminals and executed, supposedly the rest of the team refused to work on it until it was changed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Justin_Brett posted:

I should be getting a new computer for school in a couple days with a Geforce 840m on it. What would be some games that could best take advantage of that?

Not many, it's a pretty lovely graphics chip. Still you can play many games at 1366x768.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-840M.105681.0.html

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Iron Rose posted:

Not many, it's a pretty lovely graphics chip. Still you can play many games at 1366x768.

My 840M runs MGS5 pretty well at 1080p with slightly lowered settings because the Fox Engine is magic. It struggles with MKX, but it does kinda sorta gets 60FPS and that port is awfully optimized. Not a lot else in terms of new stuff I've tried to run out of it tho.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

-Blackadder- posted:

I heard there was a new Dungeons 2 that might have done a better job of being a Dungeon Keeper successor, was that any good?

No, it's bad :(

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'd expect most games that are well optimised to be playable considering it's a maxwell chip, even if it's cut down maxwell, it still seems to punch way above its weight.

Anyone tried out lovers in a dangerous spacetime? I've heard that's been on the burner for a long rear end time and the art is sorta neat.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Do these versions of the UFO games actually run on modern machines? I remember having difficulty trying to run the disc versions a few years ago.

Is Star Wolves any good? I already have Space Rangers and love it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The Kins posted:

His secret is an art and tech team working in concert to make the game engine look way more advanced than it actually is. :)

In more ANIMENEWS: The Umihara Kawase series is coming to Steam! If you've never played it, it's a 2D platformer where you use a fishing rod as a grappling hook to navigate stages and capture weird hosed up fish creatures. The first release, coming next month, is based on the latest Vita/3DS release "Sayonara Umihara Kawase+" with 60fps, Steam Controller support, and the usual Steamworks trimmings. It'll be $14.99/€14.99/£10.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QzYuFI1KkQ

The previous two games in the series are apparently also coming at some vague point.
:aaaaa:

That's crazy, I was just thinking about this because I really wanted Azure Striker Gunvolt on Steam and was thinking about what other obscure handheld game I'd kill for on PC. I still occasionally fire up a hack of the first one ("Umihara Kawase 2 Journey") that stitches the levels together, re-adds some cut enemies, and gives you a bunch of lives. It's probably my second or third favorite retrogame I've found as an adult.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zombie Samurai posted:

Whee, new Humble Store deals. Anyone have any impressions of Uncanny Valley, Sproggiwood, or CAPSULE?

sproggiwood is a decent simple roguelike, but has zero town building/management, so don't let the screenshots fool you. it's a town "decoration" mode, which means you can move buildings around or make swastikas or dicks out of bushes or whatever and that's it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
MGS V is insane, especially when you have knowledge of Snake Eater and Peace Walker. E: Oh, and Ground Zeroes also.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

The Iron Rose posted:

For what I plan to play on it that seems pretty acceptable. Just being able to be sure the average game will run on it is better than what I have now by far.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 10, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Overminty posted:

Do these versions of the UFO games actually run on modern machines? I remember having difficulty trying to run the disc versions a few years ago.

Is Star Wolves any good? I already have Space Rangers and love it.

As far as I know, with finagling you can get the UFO game you'd want to play, Aftershock, working (because it's got a fan patch). Star Wolves 2 is terrible but the others are pretty good, I think. They're not like Space Rangers, though -- they're basically linear strategy RPGs in space rather than an exploration space rpg like SR was.

If you're gonna try Star Wolves 1, you might wanna do this http://steamcommunity.com/app/46270/discussions/0/620696522197658152/. Star Wolves 3 has much better graphics and acting but it's kind of bullshit how deviating from missions can get you killed easily...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually, I've been trying to get UFO to work and I can't, :rip: UFO

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Speaking of busted games, I loaded up fallout 3 fairly recently, with no mods on it even, and I couldn't get it to run for longer than 5 minutes and it kept asking me for my GFWL key, but the option for the product key on steam is straight up gone. So that's fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cat doter posted:

Speaking of busted games, I loaded up fallout 3 fairly recently, with no mods on it even, and I couldn't get it to run for longer than 5 minutes and it kept asking me for my GFWL key, but the option for the product key on steam is straight up gone. So that's fun.

Just wait until steam eventually shuts down :suicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You mean runs perfectly fine like when in offline mode? :v:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Then I wouldn't have to worry about my backlog anymore!

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

cat doter posted:

When I first played Fallout 3 it would crash to desktop randomly every 5 to 20 minutes. I made it to the hotel tower storyline and explored the suburbs, before I realized that even without the crashing it wouldn't be worth playing the game. Too much item management, and the world felt like it was theme-park in scale. I wanted giant sprawling wasteland where having a car or horse made a difference. I eventually found that in Borderlands, but that game was still a copy-pasta shitbox with lovely landscape design and invisible walls.

Let me just say that I hate the gamebryo engine. Something about height-mapped mountains and elevations feels off to me, and the models used to creat cliffs, boulders, and detail pop out as not matching the landscape to me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

By the time Steam shuts down we'll all be already dead or too old to care about games anymore.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CountingWizard posted:

I wanted giant sprawling wasteland where having a car or horse made a difference.

Has sir checked out Mad Max at all?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

King Vidiot posted:

By the time Steam shuts down we'll all be already dead or too old to care about games anymore.

excuse me but we're leaving behind a legacy of video games for our children

"son i have a game for u it's shower with ur dad simulation"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

"Son I know your friend got his dad's old ferrari but I am giving you a greater game it is called Huniepop"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

But Steam is shutting down in 2020 to coincide with the launch of Half-Life 3?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

cat doter posted:

Anyone tried out lovers in a dangerous spacetime? I've heard that's been on the burner for a long rear end time and the art is sorta neat.

We bought it last night and played for a bit. The concept is incredible and I've been super excited to try it out for a long time. Unfortunately, once you sit down and actually start playing, it becomes apparent that the concept doesn't really translate to amazing gameplay. It's simultaneously sluggish and hectic. It's not bad at all, in fact I still recommend the game, it's just not what I thought it would be.

Part of the problem is the enemies. There are too many and they move too quickly. You find yourself constantly running from station to station, trying to gun down little bee-like enemies that circle the ship more quickly than you can move. Enemies also respawn constantly, so there are almost no breaks ever. This is cool for a while but the levels are long as hell - it takes around 30 minutes to clear out a single stage, so by the end you feel frazzled rather than elated.

Still - absolutely worth trying if you have someone to couch co-op with. I just thought it would be more fun and less of an endurance test.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It still runs fine without being logged in and I don't care about GFWL, I've never even particularly hated it (except for when it was used with dark souls gently caress that noise, loving thing broke one of my saves) but the game itself runs for about 5 minutes before crashing, it's unplayable as is.

Polo-Rican posted:

We bought it last night and played for a bit. The concept is incredible and I've been super excited to try it out for a long time. Unfortunately, once you sit down and actually start playing, it becomes apparent that the concept doesn't really translate to amazing gameplay. It's simultaneously sluggish and hectic. It's not bad at all, in fact I still recommend the game, it's just not what I thought it would be.

Part of the problem is the enemies. There are too many and they move too quickly. You find yourself constantly running from station to station, trying to gun down little bee-like enemies that circle the ship more quickly than you can move. Enemies also respawn constantly, so there are almost no breaks ever. This is cool for a while but the levels are long as hell - it takes around 30 minutes to clear out a single stage, so by the end you feel frazzled rather than elated.

Still - absolutely worth trying if you have someone to couch co-op with. I just thought it would be more fun and less of an endurance test.

I guess if people go into it knowing it's super intense and challenging then it'll probably find its audience, I'm not really into that sorta thing though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cat doter posted:

It still runs fine without being logged in and I don't care about GFWL, I've never even particularly hated it (except for when it was used with dark souls gently caress that noise, loving thing broke one of my saves) but the game itself runs for about 5 minutes before crashing, it's unplayable as is.

I guess if people go into it knowing it's super intense and challenging then it'll probably find its audience, I'm not really into that sorta thing though.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1086/ gfwl remover

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Saddest Rhino posted:

"Child, I leave unto you our family's great legacy. The Achievements that my grandfather passed onto me are now yours to carry on and gather more of."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Crabtree posted:

"Child, I leave unto you our family's great legacy. The Achievements that my grandfather passed onto me are now yours to carry on and gather more of."

"Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old XxX_Sephiroth420_XxX on some drat fool raid like your father did."

"What is it?"

"Your father's gaming mouse. This is the weapon of a True Gamer. Not as clumsy or random as a controller. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

My grandmother used to tell me stories of WW2 and all the hardships people had to endure.

XxX_Sephiroth420_XxX will tell his grandchildren about GamerGate.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

we were once led by false gods and false idols. never again shall we bow to the words of pewdiepie and markliplier

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ekster posted:

My grandmother used to tell me stories of WW2 and all the hardships people had to endure.

XxX_Sephiroth420_XxX will tell his grandchildren about GamerGate.

What a wonderful world we live in that such inconsequential bullshit is the big issue of the times :sparkles:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can totally foresee online game/media account inheritance becoming a big deal, I mean they can be worth thousands of dollars.

I also just imagined the collector's value of a 100-year-old TF2 pre-order exclusive hat

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

a premium 1st version waifu... so delicate

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can totally foresee online game/media account inheritance becoming a big deal, I mean they can be worth thousands of dollars.

I also just imagined the collector's value of a 100-year-old TF2 pre-order exclusive hat

After the Great Twitter War of 2039, the world came together and legally ratified that only one social media site can exist at any given time. The taken and popular names become more valuable than gold and certain profiles became valuable enough to purchase entire countries with. Zhe who holds the most popular Steam identity controls the 21st century.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't wait to buy a vintage Bill's at an estate sale

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

for sale: steam account with prey and outrun 2006

starting bid 5 million dollars

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

for sale: steam account with prey and outrun 2006

starting bid 5 million dollars

:eng101: You can still buy Prey retail and add it to steam. And Outrun 2006 is crap.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

"Hey there little Timmy, let me tell you about some of the epic memes I grew up on..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yanis Varoufakis has probably seen all this coming. I can picture him looking at the simulations and having a moment of clarity: managing the Greek economy would be a more comprehensible task than this.

• Locked thread