Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm afraid to ask, but has anyone houseruled a Spellsplinter feat yet? I feel like it's probably something that lets you AoO even when the caster was casting defensively (from dream-Xykon's commentary), and that makes the concentration check equal to 10+damage (which would optimize it for two-handed weapons, while still being 'standard'), maybe plus some bonus.

Based on the name, and Roy's description of it to himself in the illusion/Redcloak's description, it doesn't seem related to concentration checks, it just breaks the spell itself. Attack roll against effective caster level, possibly, maybe you need to exceed the spell's level in damage to break it? It's very clearly a plot feat, it'd be pretty hard to write into an actual game. Doubly so since there's been no indication so far that it can fail, or that if it could fail it would be because of something the caster did. I mean, if anyone would be able to resist it, it would be Xykon; he's shown he's capable of casting spells with effective levels above nine in combat with the only time we've ever seen him failing being when Smite Evil broke one of his meteor swarms. He also managed a Still Meteor Swarm when V had him grappled, which is a 30 DC check already.

e:

quote:

Edit: I don't know why I did this. Someone please help me.

Spellsplinter Maneuver [Fighter]
By swinging right at the apex of the casting, you can disrupt the channeling of magic.
Prerequisites: Int 13+, fighter 12th, Great Cleave, Spellcraft (8 ranks)
Effect: When a creature adjacent to you casts a spell and you succeed on the Spellcraft check to identify the spell, you may make an attack of opportunity against that caster even if they are casting defensively.
Special: This can be selected as a fighter bonus feat.
8 ranks of spellcraft is 8 entire levels of base fighter skill points, and Spellcraft is next to useless on someone who can't cast spells. Even then you'd only have about a 50% chance of the feat triggering even on lower level spells, the identify DC is like 15 + spell level or something.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the Miron thing. It seems it allows him to also just dash up and hit casters as well.

The feat would not be very useful after all if the caster could just 5 foot step away.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit: I don't know why I did this. Someone please help me.

Spellsplinter Maneuver [Fighter]
By swinging right at the apex of the casting, you can disrupt the channeling of magic.
Prerequisites: Int 13+, fighter 12th, Great Cleave, Spellcraft (8 ranks)
Effect: When a creature adjacent to you casts a spell and you succeed on the Spellcraft check to identify the spell, you may make an attack of opportunity against that caster even if they are casting defensively.
Special: This can be selected as a fighter bonus feat.

Spellsplinter Maneuver
Prerequisites: Int 15+, Great Cleave, Spellcraft (2 ranks), Character level 12+ or 8+ with training from another character with this feat.
Effect: When a creature adjacent to you casts a spell and you succeed on the Spellcraft check to identify the spell, you may make an attack of opportunity for half damage against that caster even if they are casting defensively. If hit, the target caster may only make a concentration check to avoid spell disruption if they were not casting defensively to begin with. This maneuver cannot be executed more than once in any round.

So, basically higher int requirement, lower spellcraft, modified level/class requirements, less damage and a limit on the executions per round.

Edit: added a thing about whether the caster was casting defensively or not.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 10, 2015

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

rocketrobot posted:

Spellsplinter Maneuver
Prerequisites: Int 15+, Great Cleave, Spellcraft (2 ranks), Character level 12+ or 8+ with training from another character with this feat.
Effect: When a creature adjacent to you casts a spell and you succeed on the Spellcraft check to identify the spell, you may make an attack of opportunity for half damage against that caster even if they are casting defensively. This maneuver cannot be executed more than once in any round.

So, basically higher int requirement, lower spellcraft, modified level/class requirements, less damage and a limit on the executions per round.

Nah that's lame, try this

Spellsplinter Maneuver

Prerequisites: Int 13+ or Dex 15+, Great Cleave, Spellcraft (2 ranks), BAB 12+ or 8+ with training from another character with this feat.
Effect: When a creature you can sense casts a spell, you may make an attack of opportunity against that creature even if they are casting defensively. If this attack hits, the spell is interrupted.
Special: You may charge or take a 5 foot step as part of the opportunity attack. This feat may be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

I don't know if this is the right format but gently caress 3.5 anyway

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What have I done.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Poison Mushroom posted:

What have I done.

Nothing compared to this:

SO GUYS DO YOU THINK YOU NEED TO BE A SPECIFIC ALIGNMENT TO USE IT

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Calaveron posted:

Nothing compared to this:

SO GUYS DO YOU THINK YOU NEED TO BE A SPECIFIC ALIGNMENT TO USE IT

yes because the more artificial the constraints you put on a feat the better it is!!!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What a bunch of shameful goons, getting inspiration for their D&D games from a webcomic inspired by D&D games. Heh. :smuggo:

I think I'd drop the spellcraft and identification roll entirely because let's be honest a fighter is never going to succeed at these checks against a level-appropriate opponent caster regularly enough to deserve blowing up a feat on it. I'd just have it work like a regular touch attack, which can be done as part of an AoO, or if the caster is casting defensively it'll have to be a readied action. Instead of inflicting the damage on the caster, the damage represents the DC of some caster level check the caster needs to do in order to have the spell work.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Well, Roy did have a plan against negative energy levels...

It's just that that plan was 'Have Durkon cast protection', so...

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Zogundar posted:

I can't remember when Durkon was supposed to have learned about it though.
Presumably when he and Roy were drawing battle plans for the final fight.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Why do you all have Great Cleave as a prerequisite, other than the fact that Roy has it? Focusing on disrupting one target with perfect timing is pretty much the direct opposite of mowing down multiple mooks per turn.

I'd say Combat Expertise would make more sense, or "any of the following: Improved Disarm/Sunder/Trip" if you wanted something higher up the feat chain.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

NihilCredo posted:

Why do you all have Great Cleave as a prerequisite, other than the fact that Roy has it? Focusing on disrupting one target with perfect timing is pretty much the direct opposite of mowing down multiple mooks per turn.

I'd say Combat Expertise would make more sense, or "any of the following: Improved Disarm/Sunder/Trip" if you wanted something higher up the feat chain.

having great cleavage aids in distracting the spellcaster

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Glory of Arioch posted:

having great cleavage aids in distracting the spellcaster

Yeah, sunder makes more sense.

That said, 3.5-style design is hilarious. Spend 16 levels building towards a capstone, defining feat choice, get into position and make two hard rolls and you might have a chance of stopping someone (who you're standing right next to) casting one spell.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 10, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

Roy's clearly cancelling the spell AND damaging the caster, so he's killing the spell and using cleave to make a melee attack against the caster :pseudo:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think you guys are way overthinking this.

Spellsplinter
Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Mage Slayer, fighter level 8th

Effect: When you make an attack against a target casting a spell or using a spell-like ability, as a readied action or Attack of Opportunity, you resolve your attack as a touch attack. Additionally the Concentration DC to resist losing the attack is equal to 10 + twice the damage dealt + twice the spell's level.

Normal: Attacks made to interrupt spell casting resolve against AC and the Concentration DC is 10 + the damage dealt + the spell's level.

Special: If attacking a target that through some means, such as a feat or class feature, normally ignores making a Concentration check or is considered to automatically pass such checks, the target is considered not to have that feature and must make a Concentration check with a DC equal to 10 + damage taken + the spell's level.

______

There, now attacking a spellcaster for even a moderate amount of damage all but assured they will fail the Concentration check, as well as making the actual attack a cake walk letting you Power Attack or use Combat Expertise. Probably the former.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Maybe describing it as a manuever is literal, and Roy just took Martial Study to get some Tome of Battle move that disrupts magic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, sunder makes more sense.

That said, 3.5-style design is hilarious. Spend 16 levels building towards a capstone, defining feat choice, get into position and make two hard rolls and you might have a chance of stopping someone (who you're standing right next to) casting one spell.

This is the real reason Fighters have such a hard time in comparison.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Spellsplinter

Prerequisite: Roy

Description: When an enemy spellcaster within reach begins to cast a spell, you may make an attack of opportunity. If you hit, you splinter the spell and no spell happens.

Special: Except if it doesn't work

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

greatn posted:

Spellsplinter

Prerequisite: Roy

Description: When an enemy spellcaster within reach begins to cast a spell, you may make an attack of opportunity. If you hit, you splinter the spell and no spell happens.

Special: Except if it doesn't work
This is the correct answer.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Spellsplinter

When someone within your reach casts a spell, roll+Str. On a 10+ deal your damage and their spell is disrupted. On a 7-9 deal your damage or their spell is disrupted (your choice).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Colonel Cool posted:

Spellsplinter

When someone within your reach casts a spell, roll+Str. On a 10+ deal your damage and their spell is disrupted. On a 7-9 deal your damage or their spell is disrupted (your choice).

Yeah dungeon world is just a better system full stop.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Apocalypse world could work, but the feat would end up involving sex somehow. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

my dad posted:

Apocalypse world could work, but the feat would end up involving sex somehow. :v:
How about Monster Hearts?

Spellsplinter
When you solve a mystical problem with brute force, roll +Hot. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1.
- No bystanders or innocents are harmed.
- You will not face unforeseen consequences down the line.
- The spell disperses harmlessly.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Poison Mushroom posted:

How about Monster Hearts?

Spellsplinter
When you solve a mystical problem with brute force, roll +Hot. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1.
- No bystanders or innocents are harmed.
- You will not face unforeseen consequences down the line.
- The spell disperses harmlessly.

...Why wouldn't that be +Volatile?
:goonsay:

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Colonel Cool posted:

Spellsplinter

I bet it sure sucks to be the party's wizard if your fighter has this feat.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/aasdoqwrsdfpqweisdf2ewfo2e1004.png

I hope this is because Rich saw the Spiderclimb inanity

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Following that link gives you an error 403. Proper link: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1004.html

Force a refresh if you got a 403 from the direct image link.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am really digging this new release schedule. Rich must be exercising or something.

Also, this turns into a pretty vicious brawl.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So much about "Why isn't Durkon spiderwalking?"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why isn't durkon summoning 1d4 Wolves?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So what's going on here? Roy seems to be getting some good hits in. Is there a strategy or is Roy soon about to lose out to attrition?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Another funny idea, Belkar took Wisdom when he levels up previously, runs in and casts a scroll of restoration.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

greatn posted:

Why isn't durkon summoning 1d4 Wolves?

Would those wolves be vulnerable to a halfling ranger's tricks? :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

e X posted:

Also, this turns into a pretty vicious brawl.

That last panel is pretty visceral.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Weird, that link goes directly to the comic image for me. Anyway, Roy is getting serious. He seems to be landing solid hits after perhaps four levels drained, so thats pretty metals of him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Another funny idea, Belkar took Wisdom when he levels up previously, runs in and casts a scroll of restoration.

Lots of people do think he took some Wisdom about when he started acting smarter.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

So what's going on here? Roy seems to be getting some good hits in. Is there a strategy or is Roy soon about to lose out to attrition?

He's a warrior. Attrition is the one battle he actually has an advantage in against a caster, even a vampire one. If Durkula runs out of spells he's stuck trying to touch attack an angry man with a giant sword to death, which isn't likely to end well for him. He's lost his staff, too, so he can't get spells out of that. So far in this battle he's already blown Destruction, Flame Strike, Hold Person, two Silences, some unnamed spell when the clerics were talking, Inflict Serious Wounds, Summon Proxy (I imagine that has to be a fairly high level spells) and presumably Restoration earlier with the whole drink blood/Restore deal he's had worked out. If Roy actually brought any health potions and stays close enough to Durkula to spellsplinter him whenever he tries to cast something like Slay Living, it's not impossible for him to weather all the spells Durks has prepared.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I dunno about this fight Roy... if you keep getting level drained then another domination is going to work at some point.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Colonel Cool posted:

I dunno about this fight Roy... if you keep getting level drained then another domination is going to work at some point.

I'm kinda expecting Belkar to make a dramatic return, possibly having brought the rest of the Order with him, and then for Durkon to kill Belkar stone dead.

But who knows, I bought it when it looked like Malack was going to kill Belkar back in the pyramid. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Given that it can only be cast by the high priest of a god, I would figure on Summon Proxy being a granted ability rather than coming out of one's spell levels.